[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Don't get me started on the "Dong Hoon will be a father figure to JA and will adopt her" theory. All that development for them to end up as daddy and daughter? 

Well, he can be my “daddy” anytime :DB)

B9_FC3939-_F5_A9-4676-_A565-8_E62_EC27_B

9936_ABA5-2801-408_D-_A437-96879_AE8699_

75_DE9705-_E7_C5-48_F6-82_D1-_FDF11_D976

• Like 3
  • LOL 12

2 hours ago, MsMinnieFran said:

When i see people commenting under episode ten, after watching JA confessing to DH, romantic music in the background and all, that they will probably end up as brother and sister...it makes me gag a little to be honest.:grimace: Why brother and sister of all things? why can't they be friends? :blink:

Double gag for me chingu:crazy:. Why do you think I stay @ soompi? At least all of us here are realistic and exchanging different opinions about relationships/marriage. Honestly, I don't want friendship as an endgame between Dong Hoon and Jian. We are way past that point now. In my opinion, the ending needs to be all or nothing.

All: a new beginning for Jian and DH, new family, friends, and community

Nothing: One sided love. Part ways with DH and Jian living life in her own terms

Anything less than that is a betrayal and disrespect to the strength of Jian's character. She is capable of protecting herself and also finding her own happiness. Jian does not need DH to give her that safety net. They were never friends to begin with.. the attraction is just way too strong that the other party will always want more. And family:lol:? *double groan** they are not blood related and same argument does not apply to Jung Hee coz she is the brothers childhood friend. Strangers can be family too but that takes years of good relationship. No consolation prize (friendship or family) for me as endgame. Just leave it and let them part ways if being in love is not possible for them. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, aisling said:

The last 5 minutes... I could watch their confrontation over and over again. I can’t praise IU and LSK enough for portraying these two characters we came to love so much. I think she primarily put on the show so the detective could witness DH hitting and rejecting JA. But I think we can all agree that she wasn’t just acting, that she confronted him wearing her heart on her sleeve. I know she did it to protect him... but why do I feel so crushed? Why I do I feel so hurt for her? Of course, she could predict DH’s actions if she suddenly drove him into a corner like this. But still... my heart bleeds for her because we as audience know she has deep feelings for him and I do think she had to try hard not to cry when she walked away. And DH looked like he was regretting hitting her as soon as he did it. Will those two miserable souls ever find happiness?

Thanks for the gifs, @aisling. Also am adding, her dialogues had double meaning, like she was goading DH who was hoping she'd drop by at the bar and was pissed off at her for 'ignoring' him 'again', about how he said it was easy to cure someone of missing and longing by hitting them on the head (!) - that was her 'actual-feelings confession', her 'decoy-detective confession' but also, her way of calling him out on feelings he has been avoiding for at least 3 episodes now. The way the story has reached this point is remarkable - one can actually believe the progression of these characters.

I wonder if this is just a carrot-dangling procedure by the director/ writer leading everyone on, whether DH will brush off this entire conversation like he does everything else and try to go back with Ji-An to maintain status quo as per societal standards, or whether it is another catalyst for DH to man up! 

Ji-An is so in control of everything. She is a remarkable person frankly. As someone else said, she could rule the world!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, berny said:

And in the upcoming episode she wants him to fire her in front of everybody in their office  :( 

I really hope Dong Hoon, his wife, and JA will work together to get revenge. It's better that way for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, philosophie said:

By pushing past the platonic boundaries, JA has put DH in a position where he can no longer look forward to their exchanges because it now risks a chance of being interpreted as something else. Maybe he slapped her on the ends because she was saying it loudly in a neighborhood that he is well known in aka he fears his reputation as ethical will be tarnished because deep down maybe there is some truth to it and he is scared to be judged by the people that have known him all his life. Because before then he does as you say and just dismisses her, as if he is also dismissing his own feelings and the potential of this being something more as nonsense. 

Funny cause I also feel like JAs confession was also to herself because she hasn’t outwardly admitted that her feelings for him run deeper than admiration of an adult (which maybe it is just that too and this whole thing was just a plan to protect him from private investigator...but was it just me or was she sad seeing him and his wife playing quiz game in car? And then him not wearing the shes..which btw, I wonder if it’s actually cause he’s sentimental and wants to save her present and not ware out her shoes.)

Also I would like to take note of his breathing in the very end of ep after JA walks aaah, which always seems to be heard when he is in a negative rather than positive mood. So I feel like he was really conflicted after she left. 

Despite my heartbreak chingu:bawling: with episode 10, I also love that scene so much because the story remains consistent to DH and Jian's contrasting personalities in the beginning. She is the type that will nip things in the bud if it bothers her enough (i.e. the insect scene in episode 1) unlike Dong Hoon that likes to approach things with safety. I agree that Jian seeing them together in the car, snapped her back into reality. I am glad she made that harsh decision because as much as she is imperfect and manipulative, there are certain lines she does not cross. And I agree with you, JA has to protect herself and her heart too. She cannot allow herself to hope and hang around because those feelings are pathetic (the word used in this scene).

I chuckled a little bit :lol:when DH was acting all tough being annoyed then JA took off her hoodie finally unleashed a bomb of confession on him. DH's face turned pale and anxiety took over. Probably, he said to himself "damn! why didn't I just wear the damn slippers?":lol: There was a couple of seconds where DH turned around and the prominence of heavy breathing as if his heart will burst any minute if he does not walk away. While Jian was swift and never looked back after the argument.

The previews of episode 11 is intriguing and somewhat funny. Possibly DH doing his excuses and rationalization to circle around Jian and likely holding on to her with his dear life: 

1) you cannot leave until you finish your contract, so you have to stay

2) you cannot leave coz I will make sure you find another job, so until then you need to stay

3) you cannot leave coz I will be introducing you to my friends and Jung Hee in the neighborhood that will make you warm and fuzzy, so you cannot disappear

Pabo, Jian does not need all that.. she will leave you no matter what because it's the right thing to do:(

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

Ratings up until Episode 10:

Date Episode Nielsen Korea (%) TNmS (%)
Nationwide Seoul Peak
2018-03-21 01 3.923 4.467 - 4.6
2018-03-22 02 4.133 4.786 - 4.1
2018-03-28 03 3.373 4.102 - 3.9
2018-03-29 04 3.611 3.851 - 4.3
2018-04-04 05 3.936 4.838 - 3.7
2018-04-05 06 4.038 4.468 - 4.6
2018-04-11 07 4.487 5.234 - 4.7
2018-04-12 08 5.313 5.671 - 4.6
2018-04-18 09 4.803 5.413 - 3.8
2018-04-19 10 5.824 6.472 - 5.6
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

About his wife's affair ...DH has not opened up and talked about it to anyone except that bar owner friend right?

Than man knows it right ? as he advised DH ... that if he (just a bar owner ?) was brave enough and survived a divorce, so can DH (who has a degree or position in a company).  Well i guess people deal with things like this differently.

I really wonder what are the inner conflicts going on in DH ... does he really lack courage ? or he's just the type to hold on to a marriage that has been tainted already thinking it's still the right thing to do.  But the friend seem to say how can you even have peace of mind anymore when he's mind is filled with images of his wife together with another man.  Could that really be erased in time? 

:(

• Like 8

6 hours ago, berny said:

My Mister Production & Casts   :   "THERE WILL BE NO ROMANCE...NO ROMANCE  ! ! !"

Spoiler
6 hours ago, berny said:

Viewers Be Like :      "YEAH, RIGHT..."

cute.gif

Viewers Be Like :      "YEAH, RIGHT..."

:tongue:

Hahahaha.... I laughed to hard.  This is gold!!!   It's not that there will be no romance, it is more like they do everything they can to make it impossible for the potential romance to bloom.  

At this point I really don't know who is more delusional, the shippers or viewers who keep thinking that their relation will remain platonic/brotherly/fatherly.  I lean one way, but I have been tamping down hard my own delusion to the point that I can easily see the other side.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 12

1 hour ago, snowdragon09 said:

"Why are you ignoring me again ?" said the man who wasn't even concerned about his wife's affair yet be greatly annoyed when that particular girl didn't speak to him.

Yes, yes, no romance. We trust you PD-nim :wub:

*sarcasm*

yes! and let's accompany that with episode 9 when she ignored him outside of Jung Hee's bar and he was moping after and talking about how life is petty:lol:.. Poor guy.. He really hates it when JA does not talk to him..

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

38 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Hahahaha.... I laughed to hard.  This is gold!!!   It's not that there will be no romance, it is more like they do everything they can to make it impossible for the potential romance to bloom.  

At this point I really don't know who is more delusional, the shippers or viewers who keep thinking that their relation will remain platonic/brotherly/fatherly.  I lean one way, but I have been tamping down hard my own delusion to the point that I can easily see the other side.  

I think I can relate to the tampering down hard on my delusion:lol: - until the bloody episode 9 when I finally just let go and permanently ship them until the end. It does not matter anymore. I have 70% of the episodes going the shipper way and the highlights are in episode 7-10. So that's more than I could hope for..

NO ROMANCE, NOT REALLY A LOVE LINE! - yeah I agree:wub: PDnim please give us more arguments, hopelessly staring at each other, running scene, and waiting in the bar. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

2 hours ago, snowdragon09 said:

"Why are you ignoring me again ?" said the man who wasn't even concerned about his wife's affair yet be greatly annoyed when that particular girl didn't speak to him.

Yes, yes, no romance. We trust you PD-nim :wub:

*sarcasm*

Aigoo, IKR.  Either PD is trolling us, or...

sma72NW.jpg

RxddobH.jpg

tJ4h1Zs.jpg

-_-

• Like 2
  • LOL 22

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Double gag for me chingu:crazy:. Why do you think I stay @ soompi? At least all of us here are realistic and exchanging different opinions about relationships/marriage. Honestly, I don't want friendship as an endgame between Dong Hoon and Jian. We are way past that point now. In my opinion, the ending needs to be all or nothing.

All: a new beginning for Jian and DH, new family, friends, and community

Nothing: One sided love. Part ways with DH and Jian living life in her own terms

Anything less than that is a betrayal and disrespect to the strength of Jian's character. She is capable of protecting herself and also finding her own happiness. Jian does not need DH to give her that safety net. They were never friends to begin with.. the attraction is just way too strong that the other party will always want more. And family:lol:? *double groan** they are not blood related and same argument does not apply to Jung Hee coz she is the brothers childhood friend. Strangers can be family too but that takes years of good relationship. No consolation prize (friendship or family) for me as endgame. Just leave it and let them part ways if being in love is not possible for them. 

Did anyone read the comments on episode 9 recap on Dramabeans?  I could not believe how tame and level-headed everyone is there.  It's a little sterile, really.  Such a contrast to the discussions here for episode 9 and 10, both from shippers and non.  I have not had so much fun as I did in reading pages 66 and 67 of this thread.  What everyone wrote really fed my shipper's heart, even as I try to prepare myself for a disappointing ending.  This drama is just so brilliant in showing the all-too-human emotions of someone falling in love (DH's annoyance) and someone feeling hurt because her love is hopeless (JA).  I know the writer/PD have had a lot of fun dragging us through this mess, but I fear at the end of the day they will not have the guts to follow through.  I offer another option to your all or nothing (one sided love).  

Heartfelt confessions from both sides but part ways: They both knowledge feelings and longings, but also realistically evaluate their situations, obligations, needs, etc., then part ways if they want.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, africandramalover said:

About Ep 10.

It seems that DH is on the road to divorce. We have wondered why he didn't blow up and confront his wife like any normal man would. He is passive, but in this episode, we finally saw that, a) he is a man, and b.) the dam broke with the fight he had, forcing him to confront his marriage.

I felt a ray of hope as YH and DH  drove home and played the quiz games..... then the smell of divorce wafted into the episode.

I loved how the divorce is being set up. he hits the 11th floor,  the doors open, he cannot bring himself to step out of the lift, he presses close and goes off to drink. That conversation on his way to the divorced guy's bar is more like what I expect from a man. Men detest the idea of another man being with his wife and to see him having mental images of what could have happened between his wife and the director felt absolutely real. His friend saying that all he thinks about when he has a moment of stillness is his wife and "that bastard" was DH speaking right there.

I really wanted them to work it out, but I think divorce is OK with me. Just not my first option. Thank God this is a drama, I hate divorce. i don't know if YH helping him to take down Director is going to help their marriage. I wish it would.... I can only hope.

As for the confession..... I think it was three types of confessions. I think it was 1) a confession of Ji An to herself. She finally said the truth to herself. Verbalising something like that helps you confront it, gives it a name and form. 2) A confession to DH - Obviously, even if she was manipulating the situation, he definitely knows how she feels. He's been avoiding it, asking her to call him Manager, but now he knows he isn't just Manager 3) Manipulation of DH in order to save him from the detective. Brilliant scene! When he hit her it's like he's reacting from his anger at what she has said, but deep down it's like he cannot admit the truth to himself, that he is fond of her in a way that's outside the normal parameters.

What's the end game? It's the liberation of Dong Hoon from his shackles, his wife, marriage, brothers, job, his suffocating life. Ji An just activated that journey. In that regard, I am okay with them not ending up together. If it remains a "will they-won't they" situation, leaning more to a "will they?" with this tension hanging over them, I will be happier than an outright no, and I confess, slightly better than if they get together.

I hope DH gets up from under his brothers, especially the oldest one. I am a first born, and that brother is a shame to all first borns in the world. I wanted to slap him when he insisted that DH must succeed so that they can have a big funeral display. Surely!! Nkt!! Step up to the plate! Everyone else should look up to you!!

As someone said upstairs, Ki Hoon needed that booty call. However, any expert driver can manouver that tiny azz car out of that parking spot!! he could have lifted that little van instead of pushing that rock of a saloon car!! Think bro! Think!! (but the blood wasn't in his head.....)

I agree with the reason why DH did not confront his wife about the affair and I think there is also another reason for his delaying the confrontation. When he learned about the affair, he went to the campsite to confront JY and one of the questions he asked JY, was if YH knew about JY’s plan to fire him. When JY did not answer, DH said for JH to tell the truth or JY is a dead man. JY told him that YH wanted DH to quit on his own.

At that time DW, had already put the idea in DH  mind that Wang’s team will recruit and recommend him for promotion for Director position. DH maybe thinking that if he confronts YH, the issue of divorce may come up and be a reason for him not getting the Director position. On his first informal interview with Wang, he talked about wanting to help his family etc and when asked if another reason he wanted to be Director was to block JY, he went the high road. Ahhhh, I think that  Ahjushi just coached himself to say that, he is a good man but not a saint, he is bluffing himself. Not only did JY and YH make him a cuckold but they also plotted on him getting fired or quitting his job. Every time DH thinks of JY/YH togetherness, the thought of YH asking him to quit his job also surfaces. Me thinks, he is pissing mad and that he truly wants to kick the living daylights out of JY and that is the main reason he accepted the recs for promotion. Up to the last minute, he was asking himself if he was suitable and he did not look like he was enthused with the promotion. It looks like the two women in his life, will get involved in the fight with JY. His wife whom he might have fallen out of love with but still cares about whose purpose is retaliation and destruction of JY and JA, the young woman whom he is building a deep connection with may self-sacrifice for the love of DH. The actions of these 2 women maybe what pushes him to awareness of his priorities, he may even objectively see the wisdom in YH suggestion of building his own business, and that letting go of his “duties” as the provider for his grown brothers is the best thing he could do for them. Yes, the oldest brother is the most irresponsible pest. He is hiding money under the heated floor boards. I am afraid that the paper money will get heated up and burn. I am sorry, but, I don’t find him funny but irritating.

When YH saw DH bloody face and especially bloody knuckles, she thought he had a fight with JY and she started crying. When she confronted JY, she learned that there was no JY/DH fight. She also learned that it was DH who tracked the phone booth calls. After her cry fest in her car she went to visit the brothers at the cleaning office with the pretense of well wishing for their business. After the initial chit chat she said to KH that there was nothing wrong with his face. KH was quick to cover with, I head butted DH at the soccer game it was not a face to face but head to face collision, he fell and got injured. YH is a lawyer who is used to probing the truth with evidence. I am not sure if she bought that with those bloody knuckles and if she will pursue and probe further? She is just too curious on what the injuries were all about and that it was not about her. It will not be surprising if she suddenly pops in at the bar to inquire and some guy who was too drunk to remember the reason for the injury was a soccer game and blubber that DH fought some guy?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, noor1 said:

Thanks for the gifs, @aisling. Also am adding, her dialogues had double meaning, like she was goading DH who was hoping she'd drop by at the bar and was pissed off at her for 'ignoring' him 'again', about how he said it was easy to cure someone of missing and longing by hitting them on the head (!) - that was her 'actual-feelings confession', her 'decoy-detective confession' but also, her way of calling him out on feelings he has been avoiding for at least 3 episodes now. The way the story has reached this point is remarkable - one can actually believe the progression of these characters.

I wonder if this is just a carrot-dangling procedure by the director/ writer leading everyone on, whether DH will brush off this entire conversation like he does everything else and try to go back with Ji-An to maintain status quo as per societal standards, or whether it is another catalyst for DH to man up! 

Ji-An is so in control of everything. She is a remarkable person frankly. As someone else said, she could rule the world!

Well I think this last episode was really making it clear and underlining the argument for divorce. DH is no longer seen as having any fault in regard to YH - which in the beginning seemed to be there- the way he just ignored her.  Now we see emphasized how she brushes him off, even though he is serving her breakfast in bed after her break up with JY, and she even flashes back to the way she is so disrespectful to his good intentions even knowing that she had the affair with JY.   Then we see him washing his clothes and cleaning the house!     What a guy!     

DH I think was shaken to reality when granny told him she can rest easy knowing he was by JiAn's side.  She sure didn't mean that as a brother.  He understood what she meant. And then he goes to the bar and talks about divorce with the bartender who just happened to get a divorce because his wife was also cheating with a guy he detests!   Quite a coincidence. So the writer is hitting us over the head here with what DH is thinking about.    

Then we see DH talking to that guy who complained about DH for kicking drawers closed and being disrespectful. Seems he has developed a crush on her and wants to date her.  DH encourages him and tells him to keep after her. Then he tells JiAn to go out to dinner with the everyone.   So clearly DH is fighting his own passion for her and trying to be the Daddy or older brother.  But is that how he feels?     Ji An's confession comes just as he is fighting his own inner "demons" and desire to break away from his - and perhaps his growing awareness of his attraction to her. So he lashes out.

As far as the annoying older brother (very funny how he hid money under he floor boards and his mother knowing) and KI -they can be a burden but I don't see it as DH really struggling with extricating himself from the responsibility he has taken in the family.   I think he accepts it.  Even that  dark humor daydream oldest brother has of all the people coming to his mom's funeral - he want DH to make that a reality (of course oldest brother stands in the center as eldest son greeting everyone) - the sunset of his Mom his own day in the rising sun.      But DH kind of wants that for him.  He is now building inside him the desire to be director seeing how much it means to everyone else in his life.   Is that a bad thing?  Will he change his mind, and say "screw them all" that's not what I want for myself, I want to run off to America with JiAn and be with my son?    That would be the ultimate breakaway, and male menopause fantasy. 

Let's see where the writer is taking us.

• Like 9

I couldn't really get a sense of who that deputy had a crush on, exactly. I feel like I could read it both ways, but I'm kind of leaning away from him having a crush on JiAn, honestly. The translated dialog was vague, not sure if it was a loss in translation or it was actually ambiguous who he was having a crush on.

As to DH and JA - I'm not convinced he's in love with her - she's just on his radar as someone he feels a weird sense of kindred spirits with, to me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, crispachu said:

I couldn't really get a sense of who that deputy had a crush on, exactly. I feel like I could read it both ways, but I'm kind of leaning away from him having a crush on JiAn, honestly. The translated dialog was vague, not sure if it was a loss in translation or it was acut tually ambiguos who he was having a crush on.

As to DH and JA - I'm not convinced he's in love with her - she's just on his radar as someone he feels a weird sense of kindred spirits with, to me. 

I think the point is that DH was trying to get JiAn to socialize and perhaps meet someone who would be more appropriate for her than himself (according to social norms).  He also gives her advice as to how she can overcome her feelings of anticipating people will look down on her for having murdered a man. He tells her it is all how she sees herself that will influence how others see her. (not sure about that) but he is trying to give  her confidence and make her feel worthy of being accepted in society.  Ji An is such a tough individual it is difficult to see that she needs more confidence, since she has shown nerves of steel fighting and outsmarting those loan sharks and protecting her grandma.  But perhaps she doesn't appreciate how magnificent she is herself and he needs to show her that.

• Like 8

2 cents on ep 10:

"Why did you hit her? Why did you hit a little girl?!" That line make me fall in love with DH. Srsly.

"But you are not KH! You never start a fight and beating someone!" It is heartwarming that they're concerned about him, which is also sad that they are like strangers... They knew nothing about him, only what DH shows on the surface.

"Yes, i got beaten like this because i am a loser who can't get hurt." This line made YH teared up bcs, i assume, it's like he (unintentionally) throwing shades on her adultery, like 'yes you cheat exactly because i am pathetic like this'.

When Jian jolted and stopped stirring her drink when she heard DH ouching in pain when he tried to put off his socks.

"Why are you walking so fast? Are you embarassed?" And then as if to confirm her suspicion he dashed to the bus while Jian dashed after him as if they are in a race. It's like DH awkwardly attempt a comforting line which somehow ends up so cheesy he ran away in shame. They are TOO CUTE.

"DH told me not to tell you that he knew because you wouldnt want to live with him after that!" This line shows that DH know his wife so well. He knows that what YH treasures so much is her pride, and when she lose it she will be in shambles. We can see after that when she wails in her car, feeling an incredible sense of guilt and shame with her pride torn to shreds, thinking back to how he still try to understand her even though she has been such an ungrateful biotch.

"You forgot one important reason on why you become a Director. JY." It's like everybody in the company knows how JY make DH's life a living hell so far. DH answered that he doesn't even consider him in this decision; he can fail or succeed for all he cares. An answer that satisfies dir. Park: a motivation to reach the top not solely to kick someone's richard simmons but for the greater good.

At first I think that the strained relationship start healing when YH finally shows up at his brothers office, having dinner with them and answering radio quiz, but when DH decides to go to the bar and choose not to see YH's face, I finally convinced that he does not love her anymore. Now everytime he thinks of YH he will only think of how JY touch her body, now when he thinks of YH he will only remember her not as his loving wife, but as someone who has been 'sullied' and repulsive. It's so symbolic though; when YH only open the window to let out the suffocating feeling, he choose to walk out entirely and not to see her face that day.

"Why are you ignoring me again? Why are you mad? What? What is it this time?" DH looks so done.

"Can you hit the back of my head? You said that longing feeling will be gone once you were hit. How pathetic. I feel so pathetic for keep wondering why you aren't wearing that slippers I gave you. I also feel pathetic for keep wandering around this late at night (OKAY YOU ARE STRETCHING IT GIRL I THOUGHT YOU ARE THE ONE WHO KEEPS ASKING HIM TO BUY YOU FOOD LOL) "  The sight of DH's being flustered and told her to "Then just go home quickly and do not wander around." is such a cute reaction.

This line is interesting that despite the official claim that this is not a romance plotline, the way they present this line is so vague... It's like they were making an open interpretation to what kind of 'love' is pronounced between them, and leaving everyhing to audience.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2