[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Semingly YH can't believed when Jian tell her with whom he could posibilty have an affair, ck...ck..lady you have no clue yet?

That man valued this little girl because she is precious and inspiring him, woken him that he still have pillar to withstand him when the weighting of demanding people pressure him to be certain person which he can't sure he could do.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

I have a few questions:

What do you guys think "romance" means? What this means to you? Does its meaning change from real life to kdrama? 

When i think of romance, i associate it with love/attraction/courtship.

IDK..I can only speak of what i have seen in the episodes up to now. I  see how DH acts around his friends, his co-workers and his family members..and then i see how he acts around JA. If DH is not feeling JA/ you know the good old attraction/fuzzy feelings, then i don't know my own name, so call me mickey mouse.

Romance By definition: 

romancenoun 
UK  /rəʊˈmæns/ /ˈrəʊ.mæns/ US  /roʊˈmæns/ /ˈroʊ.mæns/

B1 [ C ] a close, usually short relationship of love between two people:

They got married last year after a whirlwind (= very short and unexpected) romance.
It was just a holiday romance.
Office romances are usually a bad idea.

[ U ] the feelings and behaviour of two people who are in a loving andsexual relationship with each other:

I felt as though all the romance had gone out of my marriage.

[ U ] the feeling of excitement or mystery that you have from a particularexperience or event:

He loves the romance of travelling on a steam train.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

I just finished watching episode 9 through DF. I didn't realized that Jung Hee and Jian lived in the same neighborhood:lol: Silly me. I missed that part. I criticized DH in my last post for always being in JH's bar.  Another excuse for him to be in the neighborhood:wub:?

I loved the little subtle moments: 1) grocery shopping excuse so he can wait for her back in the train station and walk her home. Even JH was confused because she still had fruits in her fridge. 2) DH ignoring the beautiful Yura and didn't even say hello to her - yes our DH is snobby and cold with all women, Jian was always the exception to that rule 3) the Mark Darcy reference from Bridget Jones  - same situation with DH:) pretty much explains his angry behavior with Gwang Il in this episode. 4) He waits for her outside of JH's bar and the cigarette excuse. But only to be ignored by Jian which ruined his whole mood for the night. 5) After ignoring him, Jian was so affected by it and stopped for a minute teary eyed 

He is always aware of her presence like the pedestrian lane scene at the beginning. The whole world just stops as he stares at her from a distance. On the other hand, she anxiously searches for him and breathing so heavily as she finds him across the street. So poignant and palpable that only Lee Jieun (IU) and LSG can deliver this type of sweetness in the air without much dialogue. 

Jian and YH -  I remembered what @philosophie said in the back pages of the forum. Will YH ever see the way DH is with Jian? I thought at that time probably it's a long shot but now it is starting to be interesting because both women have met each other. YH is really something:wacko:. Why is she packing btw? 

Grandma and nursing home:  I thought about that train scene when DH advised Jian about her grandma. Those type of information is not common knowledge unless you are a social worker and have worked in a public sector. DH is an engineer and works in a private firm. My take on it: he researched the information thoroughly or asked someone for an advise that knew the specifics of  government law regarding elderly care. 

Gwang Il and Dong Hoon: ok I thought DH was just going to threaten him and maybe punch him once.. I didn't know he would go full MMA smackdown:lol:. Powerful scenes as he walked up into the loan shark office with him remembering Jian with each of his step. The level of intensity is beyond belief at this point. All out emotional galore:bawling: I have to give credit to Jang Ki Young for his amazing portrayal of Gwang Il he really shed off that pretty boy image!  The translation of family was pertaining to DH understanding why Jian killed Gwang Il's father coz he would do it too if his family is getting beat up. Please be still my swooning heart.. LSG:heart:

Jian breakdown: :bawling: She was expecting him to abandon her after hearing about her past. The moment he didn't care about all that was the time her heart couldn't take it. Another solid performance by IU (girl please stop making people cry, tissues are so expensive!)

Dong Hoon and YH: funny isn't it? YH was the one having an affair risking it all for a piece of thrash JYD and bringing out the worst in her. On the other hand, DH is also fighting his guts out defending Jian coming out of his long slumber and regaining that fire. YH desperate for love but it looks like DH is the one that found the real deal. 

Jian and Dong Hoon: THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE! yes I know because no romance in kdramaland can make my heart weep, throb, break, and had my soul like the story of this two unlikely couple. Their relationship does not even justify the word romance. It is above all that.. it is pure, unconditional, and true. Amidst all the darkness, they found each other like star crossed lovers. Is their tragic fate already written? To experience such great love that even the heavens may get jealous and take it away. ok here goes the soju for my delulu mind:crazy: Cheers  @zenya22 thanks for the heads up.

• Like 19
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, africandramalover said:

That fight felt good!! Right inside my soul!!

I'm also loving how everything is being revealed. Wife knows that hubby knows. Her deflation at the revelation was glorious!! 

But I still hope they can patch things up. DH is busy celebrating an unconfirmed job with his brothers.... get yourself home bro,  tell your wife!! They've both contributed to getting here.

The drama has also created a convincing relationship that doesn't need romance,  I'll have to hand it to WRITERNIM, excellent!!

What's with these dramas starting with M this year? Is M the lucky letter? Money Flower, MISTY and now Mister Ahjussi .... what next!!

Yes. And the way the series and its characters have been written, the growth, change or development is very relatable and understandable. DH and Ji-An's interactions now are definitely going into the 'romantic' zone and that's why both are hesitating - at least in this episode. They even showed a crossroads - both going their separate ways. 

However, after watching ep.9 and even the ep.10 preview, unless the director/ writer have set up a great tragedy or breakup, DH and Ji-An should 'end up together' (whatever that means). Unless of course, DH and Ji-An are supposed to change and grow and go their separate ways at the end as better people! (and that's a bigger possibility right now). 

In Ep. 9, even DH is shown as having had enough - in his home, with his wife - in the 'garbage bag' scene. In ep.7 I think YH was shown opening a window to gasp for air and now DH is shown as getting tired of this (married) life - they need to talk to each other and talk big and honest and real - if they move forward as a couple. Both are clearly unhappy and just going through the motions. And YH is either constantly putting DH down, or he is shown giving her the silent treatment, she does not take his calls either - so of course why should he tell her? Should he tell her 'hey! I am up for promotion and I don't like you as a person anymore but am ready to work it out' or 'hey! I may be able to get your boyfriend fired by voting against him and then Ji-An and I can live happily ever after!' :) 

I personally did not like Ji-An's big reveal to YH. I thought it was not her place to do so, but Ji-An from the first scene has been shown as a 'cut through the BS' kind of girl, though in that scene, she went a bit far. No matter how many people offer her money, Ji-An is the outsider to the entire problem: the affair, the marriage troubles, the lack of communication. 

And no, I don't think YH has done anything for DH to get nominated or get promoted! In fact it's the other way around: DH's family took care of their son while she was studying and moving up her career. And DH was transferred from his 'planning' department by YH's boyfriend and dumped in a rathole of constant humiliation aka 'checking' department, because of JY+YH relationship.

All in all, this is a good, nicely paced, realistic drama. 

• Like 13

A few more random thoughts:

The scene in which Kwang-Il told DH that JA killed someone was pivotal, a turning point.

Until now, all the things that DH did could be explained as just sympathy for a kid who had a tragic life and heavy burdens. We knew it was more than that, but that would be the explanation, for both him and her, if anyone questioned their relationship.

And DH had just begun to rethink his relationship with Ji-An. Office gossip was swirling, and of course, slimy Exec. Director Yoon trying to make hay of it, and Joon-Young was making it into a dirty thing (although DH doesn't know that yet). And of course, Kwang-Il's friend calling to tell  him that Ji-An is the one stole the bribe money. Maybe she was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe he should just stay away.

When he found out that she killed someone, of course he was shocked. It is a shocking thing. But once he realized why she did it, and he defended her and fought for her... well, that's it. Game over.

At that moment, he accepted her, and he essentially took ownership of her in a significant way. He is taking responsibility. He's laying it on the line for her. It was like he was making a pledge, saying "I'm in."

It's no wonder she broke down.

--

When Yu-Ra met DH, I didn't realize that this was the first time they met. Yu-Ra's been around for a while, so I kept thinking they met before, but apparently not.

As far as DH's coldness towards Yu-Ra, it may be because until very recently, she was described as the horrible actress who ruined Ki-Hoon's promising career. Ki-Hoon said he hated her so much that he wanted to kill her. Sang-Hoon definitely knew who she was, so maybe DH did too?

--

I just want to mention how much I LOVED that scene with Ji-An and Yoon-Hee. (by the way, Yoon-Hee was packing all her things in her love nest [barf] that she had with Joon-Young)

I loved how Yoon-Hee acted so haughty: "I don't care to see you around because you make me uncomfortable, and I don't think you're a high quality person, so I will throw money at you to get lost."

Never mind the adultery, or even the disrespect she showed her husband. This, more than any of that, shows what a garbage person Yoon-Hee is. Of course a poor girl with a criminal record would bend to her will as long as you pay her.

Like how she rationalizes pushing DH out of his job, in which he's invested 20 years of his life, and formed attachments and relationships. She reasons that with his skill set, he won't starve. Which... okay, sure, but that is your husband, a person with feelings, and not an object. So, yeah... stuff it, you bizzatch.

Sorry, I keep trying not to judge Yoon-Hee too harshly. Because she is so bland as a person, it's tough to think of her as truly evil. But she's certainly not a good person who happened to have a moment of weakness. She's actually quite shallow, and now I can see why she was attracted to Joon-Young.

Anyway, what I LOVED about that scene is how badass Ji-An is. Never mind the tragic life or even the beautiful love she has with DH. If her entire character was just sitting in a room and SLAYING people like this, I could seriously watch that all day long and I would be very entertained.

--

Whatever that monk did to Jung-Hee, she's still hurting.

--

So who is Choon-Dae (the janitor)? I thought he was some family friend or neighborhood ahjussi, but I think that he might have actually been a debt collector who was there to try to see Ji-An's mother. But he felt so sorry for Ji-An that he showed her kindness.

That really was awfully sweet. There is kindness in this world.

• Like 20
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Ep. 10 preview, translated:

DH: If he gives you a hard time again, call me right away. In this neighborhood, if you ask for 100 people to come, 100 people will show up.

SH (to DH): Who did this? Who did it?!?

Joon-Young (to Yoon-Hee): Why would I hit Sunbae? He knew everything, and he told me that you must never find out about it.

Vice-Chairman (?) Wang: If you're going to half-a$$ this, then don't bother trying.

DH: I must become the Exec. Director. I plan on really going for it.

Ji-An: Even those friendly (with my mother?), once they find out what kind of person I am, I can see them struggling.

DH (to Ji-An): Why are you pretending to ignore me again? ... What happened in the past, it's nothing.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Joon-Young (to Yoon-Hee): Why would I hit Sunbae? He knew everything, and he told me that you must never find out about it.

Ohhhhh YH is gonna think DH got beat up cause of fighting with JY aka her! Sorry honey he was actually fighting with GI for JA :tongue: 

• Like 7
  • LOL 10

4 hours ago, mujay said:

Semingly YH can't believed when Jian tell her with whom he could posibilty have an affair, ck...ck..lady you have no clue yet?

That man valued this little girl because she is precious and inspiring him, woken him that he still have pillar to withstand him when the weighting of demanding people pressure him to be certain person which he can't sure he could do.

OMG...I love this scene. The moment the wife heard does words...jajaja.so happy. Her douwnfoull begins. And JA realising too the kind of people that want to hurt HD, now she would help him overcome this. And HD just got the guts and realice what he has to fight for. His live....

Edited by LyraYoo
please do not quote images/videos, thank you.
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, aisling said:

The moment he learned that she killed a man...

The moment she turned around because she was sure he would be disgusted and abandon her...

The moment he said he would kill anybody if they touched his family...

The moment he fought for her despite everything...

The moment she finally let it go and her walls crumbled down...

Thanks for posting all those gif's. It's such a great sequence. It needs to be savored.

I can't stop obsessing about it, personally. Because you could literally see the cartoon bubble above DH's head that says, "F--k it."

He's a careful man. He's been pulling back from Ji-An. He knows this is a perilous stage of his career, he doesn't need any weird gossip. But he also knows right from wrong, and what's right is to stand up for Ji-An and fight for her.

We know how fiercely he fights when anyone hurts someone he loves. This is love. They belong to each other now. It's no longer charity. What he's feeling is very real.

He never cared about politics, but he's going to pursue being an Executive. (per the preview) He's motivated. He needs more power. To protect the people he loves.

I'm so in love with this show. I think it's the best one this year. It really just fills me with the warm fuzzies and makes the world feel like a beautiful place, but also leaves me in a heap in the corner, crying my head off. What. The. Heck.

(I'm veeerrry drunk right now. Sorry if I sound like a loon.)

Million Roses. This damn song. It is an earworm.

Just want to mention again how this phone-tapping thing remains very frightening and creepy. But as a storytelling device, it is amazing. DH does NOT know Ji-An is listening to him being a goddamn superhero for her. But there it is.

• Like 17
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Random as usual.

1- were those beer cans DongHoon was throwing out?  That makes me concerned because he seems to be conscientious about doing the recycling which means that many (seems like a lot to me) accumulated in a week or so.  I think the show wanted us to notice because that's why the bag broke.

a) if those beer can are DongHoon we are in a not good place since she seems to meet with his crowd every night to drink.

b- if the beers are his wife's then not good also.

2- I understand that I'm watching a drama from another culture with subtitles, so I might well be missing a ton of information, but to me today DongHoon came off as mostly paternal/familial to JiAn.

3-I don't think JiAn can stop the move against DongHoon, she can only help him fight it. Everything they do can be misconstrued.  I mean 98% of this forum see their interactions as romantic.  If they put a tail on Donghoon/JiAn and take pictures, they will have "evidence" of an affair. Also with the loan shark wanting to smash that relationship he can give "evidence" of their "affair."

The best way to protect DongHoon is for JiAn to become opening connected to his life through his friends and family.  If his wife were to accept and mentor JiAn that would be very strong protection to DongHoon's reputation.  But not likely to happen. 

4- There is violence in DongHoon.  He keeps it in check, but he is very capable of violence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JI-AN's  Story

And so some of the questions are beginning to be answered... like why Ji An's life had become so tragic like that.

This scene of her crying is so heartbreaking, I could not bear to hear her sobs...my gosh.  For me this is a defining moment for IU as an actress.  They say that for artists to act out a dramatic scene effectively, they have to relate it to some sad experiences they had in real life.   I think some life changing event has made IU more attuned to crying scenes.  The cry was really coming from her heart.  It hurts to see her like that. 

:cry:

Spoiler

Out.of.Topic

Actually, I have been really worried about IU since December ... because of what happened to Jong-hyun.  I knew they were close, and they were so happy evey time they meet up in tv or radio shows.  And they did a song collaboration too some time ago.  But after seeing the effect on her of what happened , it made me think, perhaps their friendship was really deeper than what i thought?  I know that IU, the girl with the famous ahjuma laugh, and when she laughs her whole face lit up. But after December there is that sadness and hurt in her eyes, like it is so difficult for her to smile, lilke there seem to be a struggle in her (is she thinking perhaps she could have done something to help him, and prevented that from happening), you can feel she is grieving.
And although later on when she seems to be okey and can laugh again...still it doesn't seem to reach her eyes.  
Kpop and the entertainment industry might be so harsh, and IU has such a sensitive soul... I really hope she gets to recover and bounce back from the tragedy of losing a most dear friend.  Depression is a scary thing to deal with. I am glad she has a drama now that keeps her busy and I hope her family and friends be more attentive to her and cheer her up.

jian.png

• Like 13

My feelings and take about JA telling YH that DH knows about the affair. My first reaction was, she should not have but after watching the whole episode again, (can’t watch it just once), I understood the it as a gut reaction to protect a person she deeply cares about.

For privacy, YH meets JA in her love nest, the brazen, shameless woman. YH tells JA to disappear and offered money because she is uncomfortable with JA knowing her “secret”. She says to leave JY and DH alone to fight each other (over me) until one of them loses and one wins. Thinks, I will go with whomever wins. HAH!!!! in your delulu dreams, woman.

JA simply states: so, you are staying after all and YH confirms. JA thinking: you have hurt this beautiful, loving man with your betrayal and yet you plan to lie your way into staying to hurt him all over again? NO WAY, SO HERE IS TO YOUR DISCOMFORT….. HE KNOWS!!!! So stop all these running about!!

YH must be asking herself why DH did not confront her…. The passion for you is gone dear, long been gone. Do yourself a favor and go before your PRIDE really gets hurt.

Omma Park despite her statement of not wanting to see her DIL surpass her son, cared and loved YH just like she did for everyone. She called YH to thank her, that it was because of her that DH was offered a promotion and she was happy to see the three of the (YH, DH and son) together, it warms her heart and it is all because of YH, thank you. Omma, gave her credit and was grateful. OMG. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, philosophie said:

So some questions for ep 9.

before I do though I have a general q that I’m not sure if it has already been asked before but I am curious to know the answer of. Why did the show runners decide for our leads to use the subway instead of bus for transportation and is there some symbolic meaning behind it?

I'll play.  First guess is subway runs underground, perhaps showing how the OTP's love can only stay beneath the surface and never to see the light of day.  Second guess: Alfred Hitchcock's train entering tunnel?:blush:

at the beginning, JA stays in subway when it’s their stop and only DH comes out. Is she staying behind because she’s swaying in her agreement with JY or cause of the possibility that’s he does like her or what?

Probably for the simple reason that she needs time to process all the new information in her head.

why was DH so shy around KHs actress girl (YR?)?

To show that he usually never gives much notice to other women?  So JA is indeed special?

what do you think of JA purposely passing by bar (I say this cause she probably knew ahjussi was there based on wiretap) and ignores him as she walks by him? 

She was being petty, because she was still hurt at his rejection for a meal?

(I do have to point out, in the total two times that YH and JA have met, JA has always left YH like in shock. First with recording of JY now this reveal. Any thoughts on what the significance of this pattern means?)

One day YH will learn from JA that DH fought to the end for her.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

My feelings and take about JA telling YH that DH knows about the affair. My first reaction was, she should not have but after watching the whole episode again, (can’t watch it just once), I understood the it as a gut reaction to protect a person she deeply cares about.

For privacy, YH meets JA in her love nest, the brazen, shameless woman. YH tells JA to disappear and offered money because she is uncomfortable with JA knowing her “secret”. She says to leave JY and DH alone thto fight each other (over me) until one of them loses and one wins. I will go with whomever wins. HAH!!!! in your delulu dreams, woman.

JA simply states: so, you are staying after all and YH confirms. JA may have thought: you have hurt this beautiful, loving man with your betrayal and yet you plan to lie your way into staying to hurt him all over again? NO WAY, SO HERE IS TO YOUR DISCOMFORT….. HE KNOWS!!!! So stop all these running about!!

YH must be asking herself why DH did not confront her…. The passion for you is gone dear, long been gone. Do yourself a favor and go before your PRIDE really gets hurt.

Omma Park despite her statement of not wanting to see her DIL surpass her son, cared and loved YH just like she did for everyone. She called YH to thank her, that it was because of her that DH was offered a promotion and she was happy to see the three of the (YH, DH and son) together, it warms her heart and it is all because of YH, thank you. Omma, gave her credit and was grateful. OMG. 

Finaly someone with same point of view interpret" the tale of echounter Jian and YH" accuratly...zzz chersss@zenya22:)

That scene is really Awesome there no need misunderstood either.

Jian came because YH invited her, ading what  @chickfactor write above, Jian oboviously felt disgusting toward YH, she still act so mighty and looking down her husband that's way Jian dish her right and there for second time.

Jian strip down her alter ego to realize how great and righteous man PDH is.

Bravo Jianaa.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

About the ROMANCE or Non-romance

Well as usual, due to the harsh judgment of some viewers over there...another drama storyline is restricted to reach its full potential.

Maybe the hesitation to go full-charge on the romance is because of the age difference? and the fact that the main lead guy (Dong Hoon) is married... that's going to be a very complicated connection between DH and Ji An if ever...

because eventhough DH's wife is an adulterer, it doesn't mean DH can be one too right ?

Weird Marriage

Okey, irregardless of culture or background,  I guess an aggrieved spouse by an adulterer partner either goes into a murderous burning rage ? or passively accept it? 

DH decided to remain passive like a martyr.  I could not even imagine how he stands being in the same house with her.  I really cringe on their set up ... imagine the nerve and gall of YH, she has just been in bed with another man, and then she will come home to DH (it is implied that husband & wife still share the same room & bed)... ewww this woman sleeping with two men ??? sorry, but for me that's kinda repulsive for anyone's standard.:angry:

If YH Repents?

So if YH realizes her sin, repents and ask for forgiveness, will DH forgive her and they'll live happily ever after AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED? just to save their marriage ? based on DH's character what do you think he'd do?

The Irony

Isn't it ironic, that DH upon discovering the affair, just had a verbal shouting match with "the other man" JY, whom he should have just strangled and beaten right? :blink: ... No, they just had a verbal showdown.

But he let it all out at Gwang Il,  when he learned about the beatings that Ji An suffered.  You get to thinking...why? 

Be More Wary of the Silent One.

I am thinking that DH is just someone who's really calm, open-minded, uncerstanding and non-confrontational... in short a very passive person.  

But if he is someone who's just bottling it all in ...just to not rock the boat as they say...then that could really be dangerous...because all of these frustrations and rage will one day EXPLODE.  And that will the destructive kind of rage, because it has been kept in for too long. :(

Ending ??

The premise is tragic, although there are some comic relief here and there, specially with the Park brothers...

I really don't know how it will unfold, what the closure will be.  Will the writer be good to the main characters, give them justice and a happily ever after ?

Whichever happens, what ever happens, JUST ONE THING.. I really hope nobody dies in the ending. PLEASE.  Okey Gwang Il can..hhahha...or he can rot in prison.

• Like 8