[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

@triplem yeah the Reply series really made me cry a lot. It takes a lot of emotional strength to get through the episodes. Unlike other Kdramas where you watch for escapism. Or can fast forward. Reply 1988 remains one of my favourite of the 3.

I will probably avoid this thread till the drama ends. To avoid spoilers since I seemed to have accidentally read some.

I don't think I can marathon this series. It is too emotionally draining. I just started on episode 1 and I can already feel it. Will probably do an episode every few days. It is very good; just very good and sad at the same time.

Stroppyse is more familiar with me talking about medical issues. Which is my area of work. Not so much prison. Well I have no idea what the comments are here. But it's only on page 19. Prisons and prison living is not exactly common knowledge for everyone. I do confess to feeling leery about the prison system in my current country. The prisoners are given too many good things in life. Or prison privileges. And the justice system here sucks although blatant bribery is not such an issue. But I do feel leery with the criminal elements I meet at work. There was a country town I once worked in with a large prison. I do remember seeing the guards and prisoners come in. However the prisoners in ep 1 so far are way more decent than the ones I am used to. Maybe it will change in the later episodes. I have very little empathy for the prisoners whom I come into contact with. The prisoners in this drama are thieves so far. The ones I see are murderers, rapists and have drug related offences. I am finding it hard to feel anything for this show at present. I presume the prison guards are stereotypical? Because the prison guards in this drama made me wince. When I read articles about prison guards for refugees in my country who were whistle blowers for refugees conditions and treatment.

Guess it is great it has high ratings. And from memory when I worked in Asia prison conditions are tough and not luxurious. So I wince at the cells and other things in this show. Where else I just want to have prison living made tougher in my country.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always slow a week since I'm using Netflix...but some quick thoughts on eps 11. I found myself laughing very hard on this one. I'm not sure why because there were certainly some sad serious moments as well. Maybe because I could not stop laughing at the antics of Gang 2B6 and how sweet they were at trying to protect Je Hyeok from baldy Crony

8AD9G43.png5t5F37Q.png

It could also be because of Hanyang's smart mouth...I love this Looney

Spoiler

ipdSt0D.png

Having spent 11 eps which is almost 17 hours  on this ride , I have learned that despite the bleak backstories and the setting of the drama,  there's always hope. Je Hyeok is lucky to be in this prison because he has been shown a lot of favour, but it's not only because of his superstart status. He earns their respect and love because in return he  shows a lot of kindness and generosity to those around him. The friendship that Joon Ho and Je Hyeok shares is always a highlight for me. Especially in eps 11, after Crony set the incinerator on fire, Joon Ho immediately knew what Je Hyeok was thinking and the anger he felt. He knew it was pointless to talk him out of it , and decided to take him to the shower area where Crony was.This is what friends do..

Spoiler

qAhvWAV.png.ps4WcgX.png

Lieut Pang is another character that I love very much. He continues to show us in every episode how much her really cares for the inmates...buying ice-cream for Hanyang to reward him for quitting drugs, allowing that crazy prisoner to curse him even though he has made so many calls to the sister. That sort of empathy is rare.

Spoiler

FrX1DMy.png

However what was the best part  of the episode for me is to see Looney's love story- so sweet.  I thought it was rather brave of  the drama to approach a rather taboo subject in such a conservative society. Capt Yoo's judgemental look when he found out that Hanyang's lover was a man, and even what Hanyang's college mates said  shows how hard it must be for homosexuals to be open about their relationships in SK. I think Capt Yoo will learn a lesson from this. 

Spoiler

KJ5E1Dl.png

I've always been curious about all the character age in every drama. Because i'm always curious why Jae Hyuk call Min Chul with hyung nim while he always call kaist with ajussi that make me think about Jae Hyuk character age. But then i realize something , From episode 4 when he's in hospital , that is written his age is 30 years old in 2017 . So Jae Hyuk the same age as Joon Ho is 30 years old. And Han Yang and caption yoo is 29 years old. Same age as Kim Jae Hee , because Jae Hee said to Joon Ho their just one years apart. So its that mean Ji Hoo character is around 20 years old when she's start dating with Kim Jae Hyuk at 2015 and back then Jae Hyuk 28, Ji Ho's 8 years old apart with Jae Hyuk. Quite big gap for dating, I always curious because sometime park hae soo is look like older to play kim jae hyuk, then i see his real age is 35 or 36 years old. Jae Hee and Joon Ho character is quite good for dating because their just one years apart. :D:D

I wish this drama have happy ending. since the clue is the opening of this drama is when jae hyuk play baseball again on oktober 2018. When the opening he's pitching with right hand, that is mean the whole story just explain before that moment. I hope the ending all the inmates in cell 2/6 is watching Jae Hyuk at baseball stadium. I'm thinking about since dolmani guys good at serve people, his's got job as waiter at Jae Hee 's restaurant. lol :D

30 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

LOL. That would be a good ending for Dolmani to become a waiter at an organic, health restaurant. :) I do hope that the characters get happy endings, all of the inmates that we've come to care about, please, including letting HY be happy with his beloved JW.

Yeah ofcourse all of them . Han Yang can get rehabilitation and i bet Yoo Jung Woo will beat him later because Han Yang's still like a guy. lol. Their bickering like no joke, so funny and interesting like real brother who always fight about something. hehehehe :D

I can't believe this week is last episode for this drama, When i watch it there is still ongoing episode 9 and 10 and now will episode 15 and 16. The first time i interesting to watch it, after watching youtube clip when Han Yang try to sleep at Jae Hyuk lap for the first time.

i actually don't really hope about season 2. and i don't really watch reply series. So i can't expectation for the next series, because all the cast will be different. And i don't think the stories will funny as the cast now. But we'll see later after the drama's end. :D

One of the dramas that shouldn't be watched while still airing since the wait becomes a looooooooong torture, though a sweet one as well thanks to @stroppyse's translations :wub: (I will forever be thankful for your translations on the FIS thread).

I would like to ask all of you : What kind of scene/s are you wishing for in the final episode?

My wish is for the Avenger squad to watch a Kim Je-Hyeok-Nexen match with all their spouses, friends and family members like ordinary people. They all deserve to be a part of Kim Je-Hyeok's successful comeback since they all helped him during his hardest times. I don't want their bond to seperate and would bawl like crazy if they lost touch of eachother.

Jean Valjean should move in with his father and Captain Yoo's trial definitely has to succeed or I will bawl like crazy.The director said that the message in this drama was that of 'hope' so I trust that he will grant all the characters a meaningful closure.

The first episode forced me to be suspicious of almost every character which felt unsettling but it was also great to have a pleasant surprise in the form of Lit. Paeng :D the characters are no cartoon characters even though they ocassionally get portrayed in comedic ways. And there were so many times when clever writing caught me off guard that I lost count ( in this sense, the flashbacks were well utilized and never felt overused). This drama gives me Misaeng vibes even though it doesn't take itself as seriously as Misaeng and some dialogue snippets deserve to framed with a beautiful background and used as a wallpaper :rolleyes:

I would be glad if you could share your views otherwise allow me one last rant :

THIS THREAD DESERVES WAY MORE PAGES,

says the person who joined the party just before closing time :D 

damn! loony.. i watched ep 1 then dropped it.. picked up again today.. and basically haven't slept.. finally completed ep 12..

based on reviews..i thought there was too much loony.. now i think not enough loony scenes..

the actor and that character.. and his portrayal of the character...l LOVE HIM.. he has played looney so so so so so well... he is literally the life of the show and is really cute while doing this :) 

can I just say, :

1. When they said MC got his visit.. i knew it i so knew it.. he is back because last time he threw the wallet in the bin because truck driver was kind to him.. LOVED it.. such emotionally enriching scene.

2. I guess if PD says he is selling hope with this drama.. all (specially captain) will have their sweet endings..

MC found family in JV, Ko got to stand up to corporate thugs, JH will be back to playing baseball, HY found his love o flife back and i am really glad with his bf to have been sticking around, yoo has his retrial and senator is already under investigation.. so he got lucky this means in dramaland no body is going to force witnesses or throw money to buy justice.. m sure kaist will also find something..

3. i don't care for the love story.. this story could do without the love story.. don't know what purpose JH-Ji ho arc serves

4. Loooony is life.. and yet i strongly believe people who drink or do drugs are weak personalities.. and i have a very strong dislike towards them.. but damn.. why does he play loony so well..

and wen sane.. i can completly imagine what a lady/man killer he can be , will be.. smarty mouth with a genuinely smart brains.. and this dry sense of humour.. he is charismatic ( why is he a druggie :( )

On 1/8/2018 at 4:01 AM, Amulya Kolusu said:

The PD of this show "Shin Won-Ho" is stuck up with relationships with people whom characters have known for almost their whole life. This trope remains the same in every drama of his and it just got repeated here with two more couples. I find it interesting that even after seeing all the worst part of the other person's life they still choose that person. I also think its worth giving a try as life becomes easier even though it would be less interesting to marry a person about whom we know everything.

Sadly, I don't have someone like that in my life otherwise I too would have tried dating or marrying that person. 

lol.. 3more couples..

1. JH-ji ho

2. prison guard and JH sister

3. loony and his love

lol.. i knew someone.. senior.. atleast from teh story he told.. apparently saw his wife when he was 3 and she was 2... filthy rich families and family friends.. and shall i add.. both of them so drop dead gorgeous... but yeah.. so he fell in love @ 3 . lol..not sure how much of that love was realized by 16-19 maybe .. but i liked the way he told his story

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

If this does become a series, I think I'll just have to approach it with an open mind. The subject matter of life in a prison still makes me a bit skittish, despite being a fan of this drama now. :)

Yup. I agree with you. Approach it with an open mind @Pikachu92  :)

This PD churns out solid work and even if they are some similar kdrama tropes, his directing captured and drew out fabulous acting from seasoned actors, rookies and even unknowns!

I know sequels often don’t measure up to its originals but the Answer Me series were all exceptional if I dare say, and despite all the concerns about no original cast or new characters, Answer Me 97, 94 & 88 were all gems. And each series, you have great OTPs who were ship-worthy.  :wub::wub::wub:

Which comes to mind...even though the JeHyuk-Jiho OTP weren’t featured much and the rest of the characters were awesome and engaging, it added a little heat :wink: (C’mon, their kisses were quite swoon-worthy right?) which I enjoyed as a distraction from the prison walls. Along with Joon Ho-Jehee’s subtle romance :wub: too. Anyway, chanced upon this timely short clip in YT, perhaps you might consider checking out In the future. Meanwhile, I might even rewatch them myself. :)

https://youtu.be/kBVpLMyR14E

27 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

Yup. I agree with you. Approach it with an open mind @Pikachu92  :)

Yeah if there is season 2, maybe i will watch it with open mind later since i like the first one. Because i don't really watching reply series, so i don't know the whole story of them. 

Why I don't really expectation season 2 because when i was full house drama fan, that time i'm really waiting for season 2. And after i watch full house season 2 its really disapointed and so far from expectation. The story and the main cast acting skill is not good as the first one. I don't hope for the same cast though.  

If it were any other show and PD, I would be hesitant about a second season. But here, I am totally open to it because I like all the Reply series; they are similar and yet so different. So I would love to see this environment exploited.

I have been enjoying reading all your posts because I am also crazy about this show. Watching each episode is always a pleasure, despite the sad moments. I always wish the episodes would never end, despite the fact that they are already pretty long. I get attached to each character, but I also like how some change for the worst. Like our dear HY said, no one is in there because they did some volunteer work!!! ha ha...

I find the moments of seriousness and the funny moments to be well balanced. Serious moments are intercut with funny moments so that the mood is always maintained. It also always keeps me on my toes.

6 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

I would like to ask all of you : What kind of scene/s are you wishing for in the final episode?

i don't know what to comments since you guys already say everything i want for this question xD

*trying to find something different*

I want to see Captain Yoo still be friend with hanyang. ahaha xD i just want to see all of them stay friends.

7 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

I WISH for them, ALL OF THEM, Paeng, Joonho, Hanyang, Capt Yoo., Minchul, Kaist ,Jean Valjean and Lawman too, to be present at Je Hyuk first game after his release. that will be awesome and heartwarming. but i feel it will be too cliche  and we didnt even know whether Minchul and Kaist will be release by then.:unsure:

season 2 probably feature a different set of actors...i mean they will not bring back Je Hyuk into prison again, arent they? thats is too much for this guy. but if season 2 happen, i want at least Paeng to come back, he so PRECIOUS! .....and maybe Capt Yoo, in case he's interested to be correctional officer too?^_^

I love how I'm howling with laughter one moment, nodding and then choked up with emotion the next. 

I didn't think this show could get any better and then they introduced Captain Yoo who is so far a great addition to the cell. Of course it helps that he's easy on the eyes as well. :wink: It's nice to see where these cell mates are now when compared to where they were before. It's great to see them all watching each other back's now. I especially loved what JHyeok said to Capt Yoo when the latter observed that he seemed to be enjoying himself. The response contained a rebuke and an encouragement. Life sucks but we have to live. The situation is far from ideal but make the best of it.

Lt Paeng is such a doll. Belying the grumpy, gruff demeanour is a heart of gold. Yeah, he's a busybody... but one that's welcomed. The inmates know that he's a bit of a pushover.

Hanyang... I didn't know he was capable of being lucid and highly intelligent drug assisted :wink: but wow... he was pretty suave there for a moment.

For a while I have wondered about Joon Ho... how he felt about giving up baseball and watching his friend become a roaring success... and I'm glad the show went into that because I'm sure it must rankle even if he is such a great friend to JHyeok. It was interesting to hear that he was part of an IT start up and bailed early... having regrets there too. Outwardly he's very charming and confident but inwardly he's insecure about where he wants to be in life. It's a realistic arc because there are people who flit from occupation to occupation because they don't quite know what they want to do with themselves.

The prison here is at the very least, a microcosm of society. All the sins, foibles and kindness of humanity are played out here at close quarters. Despite all its toxicity and dysfunctionality, people who have nothing find a way of banding together with like-minded individuals to make a terrible situation bearable. Everyone has their prejudices... the obvious ones and the less obvious ones. But as the flashbacks prove... first impressions aren't the full story.

watching the last week episode with sub is heaven! 

i like Ji Ho. she maybe younger than everyone in the drama, but she so mature with her thinking. like  boy who confess to her, she rejected him firmly and act maturely with him. no avoiding, just set a proper distance between them.  one more, she lose her scholarship and she worked hard to manage her study with part time job. like Joon Ho said, she has a very well off boyfriend, who i 100% sure will be too willing to help with her financial issues. but no, she wont resort to that way. 

her love for Je hyuk are also incredible. she know him so well that she able to fix his steve blass syndrome with one simple method. and this is why i think Je Hyuk who tries his hardest to push the girl away, unable to do so. she complement him well. 

the girls are not really highlighted here, IT IS A SAUSAGE FEST drama. but this writer tries his/her hard to make sure the girls limited appearance does not look fickle or cheap. the writer treat them with respect. 

one more thing,  i dont know if it intentionally or not, but the team highlighted Cheonju Female Penitentiary in passing in ep 13(jail dates). but it will be cool if they focus on the women prison next season, if it happen. i really want to get to know the woman whose playing with Kaist and Dolmani heart, seeing she never show up for the said dates too. :lol:

Archived