[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

MC: Oh, no! Untouchable!
Yoo: “Unbelievable”, hyung.
MC: Is that right?
Yoo: You said you scored 700 on the TOEIC.
MC: Oops.

Omg.. this is so funny xD untouchable funny!!!

@stroppyse now that you mentioned it, i do realise that no one say anything to dolmani when they left. Why? I don't understand.. Its sad.. i wonder things would be awkward when he is left with captain yoo.. is he able to cope with new inmates if someone is coming in.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TVN just upload farewell message all of the wise prison playbook cast, 

i hope they're release again special episode behind the scene and actor comentary. 

Spoiler

I just open my instagram and actually park hae soo come to the wrap up party, maybe he's late but i don't see someone took pics with Hae Rong .. 

This girls almost take a pics together with all the actor. so envy ... TT,,

When Park Bo Gum visiting Wise Prison Life set at baseball stadium

New BTS, looks like the filming of the last episode. We get to see Kaist, Haerongi (at least we see a happy side of him) and also Dolmani :)

https://youtu.be/HpFLSjKJ5MU

Annyeong to the cast :mellow:

Sorry, posted same link as @Pikachu92 Bian-ne.

It actually took me a while to get used to that short and straight bangs haircut that Park Hae Soo had in the drama, it’s a dorky haircut but outside of the show, I’m glad he looks even better.  He looks very good with a fresh haircut :wub:

And thanks for sharing that Park Bo Gum visited the set to support the drama :wub:  he could give Min Chul, his screen dad in Answer Me 1988, a hug too...:D

41 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

It actually took me a while to get used to that short and straight bangs haircut that Park Hae Soo had in the drama, it’s a dorky haircut but outside of the show, I’m glad he looks even better.  He looks very good with a fresh haircut 

It's okay, :)

Me too, i feel the same at first, its look so weird for him. But then i realise maybe this is for his character, Kim Jae Hyuk is an athlete who always clumsy and look like a fool. That hair style suit for his character. 

But when i see in instagram ,actually so many people in korea who get the same hair style as Kim Jae Hyuk. Maybe that become so hits in korea. :D:D

@stroppyse Been reading with great interest your posts about Dolmani and I had mixed feelings like you. I was also a bit disappointed to see that he was not as well integrated as the others, etc. But it is because I have come to like the character and what he represents: he was never treated like a human and thus made mistakes. But his mistakes were huge and too big for redemption to come so quickly. It took MC 22 years, it won't take D 5 months...

Also, Dolmani did a horrible thing that I dont think JH will ever be able to forget and, I would say, forgive. I think JH just tried to transform a horrible situation into sthg bearable but at the end, Dolmani is still the one who destroyed his left shoulder and who tried to kill him numerous times.

In this sense, it makes total sense that JailBird is the one to be "saved" by JH; because he was always good to JH, he helped him overcome many things. He was good, only did minor things like you said, but he also showed potential at being able to escape the sort of cycle he was caught into. I guess it remains to see if Dolmani can still remain the cute Dolmani we have seen in teh last episodes now that his 'boss' is gone... I doubt it to be honest.

On 21/01/2018 at 3:17 AM, stroppyse said:

I doubt JH will totally forget Dolmani actually, but it's probably true that Dolmani may be in prison for the long haul.

I don't think so, even though in episode 2 Joon Ho said to Jae Hyuk not to tell his contact or promising meet each other with the other inmates , or like seagul said to Jail Bird in episode 1 or 2 to not nice to Jae Hyuk since becaus Jae Hyuk maybe threat them like a scum once his get out. I think , Jae Hyuk will not forget to the someone who help him, maybe he's don't say anything to Dolmani because Jae Hyuk know that is Dolmani still long way to go in prison. 

One thing i get from Han Yang stories, don't stay away from people with drugs problem. Because they're just need help to be break away his sense from the temptation to consume drug again. I think the attention of people around is needed. As in the story, instead of the family who met him  for the first time but the person who give him with drugs who pick up him first. So Han Yang think that he's alone and drug always with him and overcome his feeling. Because the drama told us, its not easy to really stop from drug. But I still don't understand why the police do that. They should rest the person who selling that right(Han Yang friend who give him drug for the first time). Why the police cooperation with him, they should arrest him right? he's the one who sell it and give it to Han Yang. Its not like he's already quit from drug.

I like the ending, but the fact they don't including how the older inmates condition in ending it make me feel like eating something bland.:D:D I'm expectating some clip they'are watching Jae Hyuk game from their place. Because i know their sentences still along. so they're still in the prison. Han Yang in his place look at the TV (Jae Hyuk match, Dr Ko and Kaist in his cell watching too, and Min Chul and his family watching too. Dolmani and Jung Woo and other warden too. There is some logic for this, because they want make it to season 2 or they actually shooting it but did'nt show it because they're cut it off because of the timing. I wish they're release special again about cut scene, comentary , behind the scene etc. 

On 21/01/2018 at 3:16 PM, stroppyse said:

You can make requests if you have any scenes that you're curious about. Since I think I've already spammed this thread with a number of translations of clips. Let me know

are you already watching the raw of episode 16? can you translate it from 1:30:00, what happen to the game? win or lose?

Trying not to read spoilers. So I can be tagged? Who is the prison drug supplier in ep 6? I can't recall who he is. The guy who asks the drug addicts to vote for JH.

I am only on ep 6 after 2 weeks. Going slowly and enjoying it. I am dying to know what happens when I watch it. But restraining myself from seeing the episode spoilers. It's sorta killing me. Have already downloaded the whole series but no time to marathon it.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:11 PM, triplem said:

Prison playbook is tvN’s 5th most successful drama of all time in terms of ratings 

It is actually the 4th one, not 5th.

Spoiler

You can see it when comparing Reply 1994's ratings on Nielsen website with other portal websites(Naver, Daum, Wiki Korea), articles released etc. 

I have asked a guy on Subreddit Korean Variety who regularly updated weekly Korean TV viewership ratings there, and this is what he said:
"The Nielsen website had "inaccurate" numbers for regular cable on multiple occasions. It annoyed the heck out of me so I ignored the website's cable ratings for a long time. I don't remember exactly when they fixed it. Nowadays, everything on their website matches what they release to the portal websites, broadcasting companies, journalists, etc"

@stroppyse me me me.... I will come back and read. Just trying to avoid the spoilers. I have reached the stressful episodes I think. I am at episode 11.

Just to let you know I can't even concentrate on any other drama so I have dropped the Mon/ Tue and Wed/ Thur including the weekend dramas. I am interested in the BTS so once I finish it will read all the bromance interaction. Because frankly,  there has to be a good time for guys to just catch up, laze around ( NOT) but not having to dress up in suits or do romantic stuff and just hang out.

Not to mention the characters have made me cry buckets and I don't even KNOW who the main lead was before this series. Btw I like Lieutenant Paeang. Since I last remember him as a murderer.

Who is jailbird again? Man when the boy came back for " dad " and brought the gifts I basically teared all the way through.

Is anyone having drama withdrawal symptoms? Prison playbook is an amazing drama which makes me laugh at every episode and weep at certain episodes. Each character was beautifully developed although some of us were disappointed in looney's ending or the ending itself. I felt every character's ending and the end itself ended realistically. Once they are released from prison they either go back to their life before or turn over a new leaf. In the case of looney he was being played out and his will was not as strong thus "once a druggie always a druggie". Among the characters, I thought Jean Valjean will be back in prison but no he showed that he was having a  fresh start. I am so happy that he visited and welcomed Kim Min Chul. Also, glad to see jailbird working for Kim Je Hyuk. I guess the ending ended every character in such a way there could be possibilities if there is a season 2. 

I really hope someone subs videos of behind the scenes :)

looney.gif

I am not going to watch any dramas for the time being.

Okay. I cannot help but tears flowing a few times throughout watching the final episode(including to realize that it is the finale, and I don't know if my feelings will be invested the same when re-watching). There are too many scenes/moments that I would like to mention, but I would highlight a few.

When Officer Paeng was at the school and the kids said that prison was for bad guys, then he said But everyone commits a bad act at least once.” The ability of this series to portray even the bad folks as human was so wonderful to see.

I like how Joon-Ho slowly becoming like Officer Paeng, even though he said he can't like Officer Paeng. Even the final scene of finale shows he acted like Officer Paeng, haha.

"Be moderate in criticizing people, you may become like them unconsciously"

As far drugs issue, I know many are frustrated by the ending of Han-Yang's character in the drama, but I personally satisfy with it, even though it is indeed bitter. This drama really succeed to open our eyes to have better understanding of those who take drugs, instead of judging them stereotypically. It also reminds us the hardship of those who struggling to quit, that it needs help and support from people around him/her.

It also reminds us the hardship of those who struggling to quit, that it needs help and support from people around him/her. It has been highlighted throughout the series that "It is really, really, really hard to quit drugs without support and treatment". Min-Chul even said in episode 15: "Drugs. That's the problem. It's not that easy to quit. Not at all".

I also like they show a bit more about Officer Na in the finale, and it is funny to see flashback of his character in school.

I love to see relationship growth between Jung-Woo and his brother, Joon-Ho with his colleagues(especially with Officer Paeng and Officer Song), and of course between our cell 2-6 inmates (Je-Hyuk, Min-Chul, Kaist, Gobaksa, Jung-Woo, Hanyang, Janbaljang, Dolmani). I like to see Beobja to be hired by Je-Hyuk in the end.

Argh. I have lost words to say at the moment. Going to watch BTS clips before saying goodbye(for now, before re-watching later) to this masterpiece. There are too much lessons from every single characters, their behaviors and character development throughout about 24 hours-long drama.

Finally, I would like to quote what Shin Won-Ho PD said: "If there is a message [in the drama] I want to say, it’s of ‘hope.’ This is a story of people in a place at the end of the world. Some of them dream of making a comeback, some of them fall even further as they continue to live. But I want to show that there can be hope in this situation.”

And yeah! This is now my most favorite K-Drama, replacing Signal. I really hope this drama will be crowned as best drama during 2018 Baeksang Award(at least be nominated), just like Signal did two years ago.

Hopefully all of us can be a better person in view of nurturing better society! :) 

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Speaking of Reply 1988 as well as the earlier episodes in this drama, the guy with the mole who KJH beat for woodworking chief was the little brother to Deok Sun and Bo Ra in Reply 1988. Since he became diagnosed with leukemia a little after the series ended and had to pull out of a drama, I was actually happy to see him in this drama.

oh yeah... now i remember him. thanks for mentioning him. i hope he is better now. 

i watched the raw video last week with alot of skipping and fastforward here and there because im not ready for it to end, and because of that i do misunderstand some of the parts. and yesterday i watched it again with sub...  i feel sad that i have to let go this series now. thanks to everyone who share with me your views and translation, i hope to see you guys in other drama threads too...

ps: how do i put spoiler tag? new soompi is hard to use compared to the old one.. im more comfortable with soompi in 2010

The time has come for me to say goodbye to this drama! 

Overall, I loved this drama. It managed to make me care about all the inmates and correction officers, and it also tackled some life issues that felt relatable. It told many facets of life, and while there were some things I wasn't familiar with, I really loved it. This drama was realistic, especially about how inmates come and go. Sometimes they managed to bid proper farewell, sometimes they were just taken away like that. I really loved it. 

The characters' growth was also very satisfying. They made mistakes, they paid for them, they repented. And then some of them made the same mistakes, and was punished again for it. That's just how life is, and I love how it was portrayed very well in the drama. I wouldn't say too much about the relationships, I'm sure everyone agrees with me that relationships and bond between these characters were beyond beautiful. 

If I had to choose one thing that made me bitter, of course it was how Hanyang's story ended. I still can't believe that he ended up repeating the same mistake right after he was released. He was also disappointed of Jiwon and his father not picking him up, although he clearly told them that he'd meet them at that restaurant. I mean, even his mother came! On the other hand, I know some people who are like Hanyang, who easily fall into the same hole no matter how much they regret their mistakes. Hanyang was good person, and it was an irony that he lived that kind of life despite his perfect background (almost all the inmates envied him). Maybe it was the lack of love from his family (his mother in particular), maybe it was the insecurity (of his sexuality and his relationship with Jiwon. I always felt that Hanyang constantly worried that Jiwon would leave him and it made him anxious), but I felt sorry for him. 

Last but not least, I want to thank all of you here! It's been nice discussing matters with you although I'm always a week late! Let's meet on other drama threads! (But I think I'll always come back here, I'll miss this drama so bad!) :D

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So many of the characters got a happy ending, or at least got something that they needed, whether it was Dr. Ko standing up to his ex-bosses, or Cpt. Yoo getting his retrial, or Jailbird getting a job with Jae Hyuk, or MC finally going home to the son of his soul Jean Valjean and his newly discovered daughter that the ones whose endings felt raw whether that's Kaist who donated a liver to his son and still couldn't even get a chance to see his son's face, or Dolmani disappearing into the prison system with a few signs of affection but no clues as to what happens to him, or Han Yang (whimper), I have to admit that they were all memorable characters with memorable stories.

Jailbird's happy ending is one of the most satisfying endings to be honest. He was with Jehyuk right from Day 1, and he continued to be faithful to him. Plus he got all the skills needed to be successful, he just didn't have the chance. Jehyuk gave him that chance, it made me feel so happy. As for Dolmani, I really want to know what happened to him too, but at this rate I just want to think that no news is good news. KAIST and Dr. Ko had probably settled in their new prisons (hope they didn't belong in the same cells with cruel, cunning inmates), while Hanyang found a new Jungwoo to mess around him and tried to quit drugs again (hopefully). 

I agree with you, this drama made me happy but it also hurt SO MUCH. 

I’m not usually personally affected by dramas, but right after I finished this show, I had a hard time sleeping because I kept dreaming about Han Yang and his self destructive behavior. I want to watch it again, but I think I’m going to be heartbroken watching his scenes.

One observation: I started episode 1 again, and realized that the first scene at the baseball stadium is actually the last scene. KJH is practicing while throwing with his right hand. It makes more sense why he has such a serious expression when the coach gives him the ball.

I was going to post earlier in the week but since I was so close to finishing it, I thought I'd might as well watch it all and then write up my thoughts afterwards. Many thanks to @stroppyse for translating preview clips and giving me hope that we'd get a decent and acceptable resolution.

This is undoubtedly, unequivocally one of the best K dramas I have ever seen. It was superb from start to finish never once losing sight of its focus, maintaining its momentum right to the bittersweet end. I don't know if I have ever watched a K drama that has such a finely tuned balance of drama and realism that fleshes out its characters in a heartwarming fashion. Through one man's journey we were treated to the journeys of many other men who were close to him in that one year and during which they managed to make living tolerable by forming deep and hopefully, long lasting friendships.

I don't have strong views about prisons one way or another. In an ideal world we wouldn't need them or have them but it isn't an ideal world. There's the dehumanizing aspect to incarceration that we balk at in civilized society but then there are no easy answers to how societies deal with criminals.

The genius of the drama lies in how this dehumanizing is mitigated and reversed in small but powerful ways. Little acts of kindness, according to the script, can become powerful tools for change. At the end of the day, the drama was about people... in all their simplicity and all their complexity.

I think the outcome that I wanted most from this narrative was for Capt Yoo Jung Woo to get his day in court. Of all the people incarcerated here, he was the one who least deserved to be there except for a terrible miscarriage of justice in the way of abuse of power and the lack of courage from his subordinates. Frankly I was glad that they didn't try to downplay the enormity of what happened to him by rationalizing the perjuring of the witnesses in his case. However terrified they were of Sgt Oh and his powerful father, they helped put an innocent man behind bars after all. Ironically they had the safety in numbers but they chose to succumb to fear and pressure.

Hanyang... sigh... Hanyang. Although Hanyang technically committed an offence, I don't think prison was the best place for him to rehabilitate. What he needed was a long-term support mechanism with accountability. His drug addiction is symptomatic of larger issues in his life that go all the way to his non-relationship with his mother. I'm no expert but when I look at him and the way he interacts with the others, he reminds me of my kids at different stages of their lives. To me he is a perpetual child who has never grown up. He's emotionally stunted despite apparently being very affectionate. He baits the others to get attention, he absolutely has no filter and no personal boundaries whatsoever. Despite that, I really like him. He's such an intelligent, insightful person even through his drug and cold turkey haze. Often shrewdly perceptive. His antics make me laugh and yet I conclude that he's never grown up. Left to his own devices, he falls apart which was sadly consistent and realistic. It fits right in with his personality. Still I shouldn't downplay the seriousness of his drug addiction. I could say more but I won't because it is a tragic situation.

The romances were nicely and sweetly done. I didn't mind the push-pull between JHyeok and Ji Ho because their relationship was a fairly accurate reflection of where they were at as individuals at the time. The implication I think is that prison with all its awfulness, forced JHyeok to face certain things about himself in order to be more honest with the woman he loved. It seemed to be a family trait... brother and sister going through hard times stoically on their own and isolating themselves from their partners. JHee and JHo were a delightful pair. I love that there's no push-pull here... just a couple of adults who are a good match, who really like each other, talking and doing things together.

Ultimately the thing I liked most about this series is the multidimensional, somewhat dispassionate way in which the show presents its protagonists. Sure, the inmates often judge each other and comment on each other in the early days but once they rub shoulders and learn about each other, they bond and create some kind of home away from home. The protective correction officers are great too... having different personalities and bringing their own brand of humanity to table and making life just that bit easier for the inmates. JHo had his own journey too,  gradually finding his niche in the prison system when he'd been hopping from one thing to the next for much of his adult life. Even the warden turned out to be much more than I expected. An attention monger no doubt... but cunning in his own fashion. :wink:

I can't not mention the wonderful dynamic between JHo and JHyeok of course. I loved that JHo's status as "The Fan" became a consistent running gag evolving over time but more than that this was a friendship that had stood the test of time. Even if he weren't "The Fan", he proved himself absolutely as "The Friend". But who am I kidding, I adored all of JHyeok's prison buddies. Jailbird, Crony, Min Chul, Jung Woo, Dr Ko, Hanyang and Kaist. They all had different sorts of dynamic with him and even because of him, made separate connections with each other. This was for me the most heartwarming aspect of the entire series. Who would have thought... a baseball pitcher would be a kind of Pollyanna playing a kind of glad game in his prison cell. :wink:

I really wanted to know what happened to Dr Ko and Kaist after they were transferred but such is life I imagine. People come and go all the time. There's probably a moral in that. One never knows how much time one has with others, so make the best use of the time that is available.

At the end of the day I should thank JKH for taking on this drama even if he often plays second fiddle to other actors here. Because without him, I would never have discovered this gem of a drama.

I finished it. But had go fast forward ep 15 and 16 as I was dying. So going back to rewatch. 

Now that I know the ending can go read the spoilers. There is no way I can condense my thoughts. This drama on a 2 week binge watch has wrung my emotions and tumbled it all about. 

For a well written and taut drama like Forest of Secrets to the reality based drama in one year? I mean, wow, what have I been watching previously?  I just sat back and marvelled at the acting. 

The stories were touching. And I admitted to crying so much it was ridiculous. I laughed. I laughed a lot and there are too many good moments to remember.

But life sucks or real life sucks and I appreciated that they didn't sugarcoat how some people are just scum. There is no redemption.  Sorry if I seem harsh. HY's ending was especially sad as I was hoping it would be a Kdrama ending for him.

I mean I meet more substance abuse addicts than recovered addicts. So maybe subconsciously I was hoping he would end up being stronger. How the heck did the guy end up being there? I know addicts find their supplies fast and yes immediately on release, but still it was harsh. I never even imagined when I was growing up that one day I would be able to ask a person how many points of cocaine last used. Or to be aware of all the street drugs and names etc. My mother would have killed me.

I guess if the show did make me do one thing is consider that some people met unfortunate circumstances. And there are people who just have the world's worst luck. That somewhere out there there is someone who will not be a repeat offender. I feel dirty or rather sometimes my flesh crawls when I meet those real life criminals. I am a female and come on, it makes your flesh crawl when a male prisoner or an arrested man eyes you a certain way. And when people make personal threats. That's why I understood Lt Paeng. And why when I am outside work I don't even swear. But I take being called the C word, or racist comments. Or about my intelligence or weight or looks. Or be screamed or spat at and still continue working. I try my best to avoid being attacked. Usually.  One of my colleagues ( one of those ppl with the world's worst luck) she has the world's worst luck and timing. Honest to god. 

This was one of my main reasons I was avoiding this drama. It prettified the prisoners a lot. I am more used to the thugs and scum bags. And gamblers and irresponsible people who end up there. Than all the nice, caring, human corrections officers and prisoners.

Very good drama. Deserves every praise. And I still don't know who the actor playing JH is. But thankfully there are not many pages here so easy to backtrack.

JH is a very strong character. Not many people in real life will be that caring and humane. The actor was so convincing.  I am so happy they didn't choose. conventional handsome actor. He fills the uniform and the baseball outfit like he was made for it.

It has also been really interesting watching the relationship hierarchy amongst the guys. So Korean and yet so believable how their culture dictates it so naturally. Beats the  weekend dramas doing it. So subtle but its as if once one is categorised one has to play the role. Or not with all the banmal being the insulting form of rebellion.

Like I said wrung out. So my views may not be PC. I actually think this drama is better than the 3  Reply series actually. In terms of human interaction and ties. Amazing cast and acting. The director really can bring out the best in everyone isn't it? 

But man my emotions are all over the place. Maybe I will be more polite and ne less cynical in the future. Not going to last though. If I see another neglected child with addicted parents or one more drunk. Or one more scumbag I won't remember this show.

Does anybody here know the title of the song they used a couple of times in some episodes? One instance it was used was Episode 16 around 16:00 mark to 17:18. They also often used it as background for Hanyang's flashback. Can anyone help me? I've been searching for the song for days now. It's not even listed as part of the OST. Anyone? @ck1Oz, @triplem, @stroppyse. Sorry for tagging. Please help. :(

Archived