[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a zillion again @stroppyse for translating the episode cut and BTS videos!

PD Shin Won Ho Addresses Possibility Of A 2nd Season Of “Prison Playbook”

Recently Shin Won Ho, the producing director (PD) of tvN dramas “Prison Playbook” and the “Reply” series, gave an interview about “Prison Playbook” and the possibility of a second season.

“Prison Playbook” tells the story of a baseball player given a one-year prison sentence after an incident occurs just before he heads off to the U.S. major leagues. The drama shows not only the life of the prisoners but also the staff working there.

When asked about the possibility of a second season, he said, “Whether it’s a second season or a full series, I think we have to wait for the drama to end to know. It was the same with the ‘Reply’ series. We didn’t make another season of that just because the response was good, but because there were more stories we wanted to tell. After this drama ends, we’ll have to talk about it to know [whether we’ll continue].”

He also shared, “If there is a message [in the drama] I want to say, it’s of ‘hope.’ This is a story of people in a place at the end of the world. Some of them dream of making a comeback, some of them fall even further as they continue to live. But I want to show that there can be hope in this situation.”

Source: Soompi

23 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, because of it, I think that both HY and Yoo are perhaps acting out their inner little boys as they fight with each other. It's funny that the BTS even calls their fight scenes elementary school style fighting. :)

Capt. Yoo is always so composed and cool since he's in the military but I guess being with Hanyang makes him feel like a boy again which is so cute. I really love watching them fight, I think it's somehow healing for both of them. I also love how Hanyang and KAIST provoke each other lmao. I live for this kind of relationship! 

Finally caught up. What can I say...can I just declare @stroppyseas the awesome, lifetime honorable chairperson of this drama’s forum page??? 3 cheers for @stroppyse for the hard work of translating, in between her busy schedule! :wub::wub::wub:

This is the first time I’ve encountered a drama, because of the Netflix acquisition, where the subs only come out on the day of the next episode. But it just shows what a great drama this is, as it continues to engage fans in Korea (the ratings!) & overseas! 

Anyway, thanks again @stroppyse, for your translations, character explanations and plot lines (a shoutout for the others too!), they were very much appreciated and added to the enjoyment of this special drama!!!

2 more episodes! Hwaiting! :D

https://media.giphy.com/media/u3NqET5KZHkOs/giphy.gif

im glad this thread become so active suddenly due to @stroppyse translation. thank you! our live saver when sub is  a week late! 

im glad this team venture out something than Reply series. its peaceful without the wars...hehehe.  

my favorite prisoners is people's favorite too....YOO HANYANG! his interaction with everyone is beyond adorable. the way everyone care for him one way another is very heartwarming. im glad Yoo and Hanyang find their footing with each other. lets hope nobody got exchange until Je Hyuk got released. its too painful when Kaist suddenly got transfer to another penitentiary. 

i wonder what life will be for them after they got release. we know Je Hyuk has 90% stable future when he got release. but what about others you think?

does any chance that Yoo Jungwoo will try to be correctional officer too? or will  he be gone back to army once again, if the retrial a success? he seem fit right in with Paeng here. 

Min Chul, i do hope they grant him a parole. its long overdue for him. he probably will live with Jean Valjean later. and it seem he want to do business since he want to talk to hanyang about it before Paeng take him out. 

our Hanyang....its difficult for this guy. he RELY too much on Jiwon. he wants to stop his addiction also for jiwon. but what happen if Jiwon ...stop loving him? i really dont want them to create a terrible angst for this guy TT.TT . i want only sunshine and rainbow to only happen to him. he at least deserved that after all the loneliness he went through. 

only 2 ep left. i dont  want this to end!! :(

"It's good for screaming" LOL. Ah... I really miss the church services from the detention centre. That arc speaks to me in so many ways. Or should I say, it sings to me... :D

For a while there I was becoming a bit disgruntled about the lack of JKH but finally in Episode 4 he starts popping up here, there, everywhere. I like the actor that plays JHyeok well enough... he's very good in what he does with the character but JKH is an actor that really lights up the screen for me.

Prison Playbook demonstrates all the finest qualities of a K drama well done. Even though each episode is an hour and a half, they never feel long but packed with so much. It cleverly manipulates the POV of the audience and achieves often surprising revelations through flashbacks to fill in the gaps. Then there are the amusing antics of JHyeok who has a lot more nous than he looks and usually manages to get the better of his "adversaries". The writing is so good that you learn to care about the myriad of deeply flawed characters over time especially when one spends more time with them and learns their back story.

The singing contest was heaps of fun particularly when the famous trot singer was performing and the buffoon of a warden was the only person in the room happy about the song choice.

Gonna retract back and talk about my favorite scene from episode 13. It was when HY and his friend was buying snack from the snack cart, and the ahjumma asked if they are brothers as they looked much alike. To which Jiwon replies fiercely "We're best friends" not brothers. To me it felt that Jiwon has been liking HY for a while then, hence the sensitivity at the brothers comment, since brothers can't be lovers :) 

Ep 14 felt a bit short for me, maybe cause every scene went by so fast. Can't believe that pervert came back at the end. :angry:

I have a question, who is the pervert who appeared in the garden in ep 14?

I totally forgot who he is and what he did (to Je Hyuk?).

Does anyone remember the prisoner with star tattoo on his hand? He appeared in first few episodes and gave Je Hyuk shampoo in bathroom. If I remember correctly, he is a guy on death parole.

I've been waiting for Shampoo prisoner guy to appear, he had very strong screen presence to me.

When I saw weirdo garden guy at end of ep 14,  I thought that's Shampoo Guy. But Shampoo Guy gave out positive vibes, and weirdo garden guy is giving out bad vibes. 

Also, what happened to christian pastor prisoner with a limp? He kind of appeared briefly and disappeared totally. 

About Kaist, I appreciate his acting with a lisp (short tongue). I think he did very well acting in this character. It's a pity I can't speak or understand Korean. I think if I speak Korean, I will be even more impressed by him just from listening. 

I think Professor prisoner (Je Hyuk's ex-cell-mate) will appear again before series has ended. 

About Hanyang:

YES I love him so much, seems like every page is praising him. He should win some award with this character portrayal. I watched him in Goblin, he's the husband of ghost who tries to threaten and kill Ji Eun-Tak, I felt he did a great job with menacing screen presence for just 1-2 scenes. And the way he desperately scrambled into police station was good too. In Stranger (which I loved), he did totally awesome job with his role as a prosecutor-murderer with considerably little screen time. It's like he made every scene count.

In Prison Playbook, he totally won the show with his voice change and body language. The twist where he became "sober / normal" when on drugs and 100% spoilt only-child crazy nutcase is very spot on. The character is very well written and he did a very good job fleshing out the role. I'm so impressed. I wish he will take on a lead role asap. The production team did very well with gay characters too. I've been watching so many Korean drama but I think homosexuality is a very un-touched-on topic so far. Mostly they do slapstick cross-dressing (latest example: Korean Odessey). Even the homosexuality kiss was very subtle and well planned on screen by using the curtain and focusing on the legs. 

College Girl: It should be Min Chol's daughter. Scriptwriter gave Min Chol an angle that he is a lonely character with no one visiting him for 22 years. Throughout the episodes, they didn't really reveal the number of years he was in prison.  Only until ep 13 did they say he's in jail for 22 years. Suddenly there was a flashback about his girlfriend. She said she had something to tell him, he gave her relationship (or wedding?) ring. Probably his girlfriend wanted to inform him that she is pregnant, and then he went to jail without hearing the truth. College girl suddenly appears asking for him... she should be around 22 years old? And my guess is this should be his daughter. 

Lastly, I am smittened by Joon-Ho and Je-Hee's romance. I look forward to it every week but ep 13-14 had zero scenes of them. I love how they low-key fell in love and the bus scene and cinema scene. It's kind of like real life where you wait a lot and something sweet happens but just a little bit. It's realistic, unlike the rom-coms where it's full-blown romance for 16 eps. 

On 1/11/2018 at 12:41 PM, stroppyse said:

Well, Joon Ho does seem to have had a string of girlfriends and gone on a lot of dates. I wasn't sure about the brownies, but I'm going to assume that it's a seduction technique of some kind based on the reaction. Possibly Joon Ho invites women over his place to "make brownies" with him? LOL. That's just speculation on my part, though. Hopefully, we'll see what it means in a future episode. :D

I think in a previous episode Joon Ho told Je Hyuk that he loved his previous girlfriend very much and even baked a cake (brownies?) for her, but when he gave it to her he called the wrong girl's name and so his then-girlfriend broke up with him. 

So the brownie may be a running gag for an activity or gift that Joon Ho will do for girls that he like a lot. 

@stroppyse thanks. This was my back up drama. And been careful in avoiding reading spoilers anywhere on the Net. Would get to it- heard about the high ratings- but guess can trade bromance for romance. Since it was actually the male cast which attracted me to the project. Not the looks... but more of the acting abilities. Having a good plot - as you mentioned- is such a relief.

Re happy ending. I am more concerned about life post prison sentence. Since all previous Kdramas potray such negative society integration post release.

I am just totally bummed out about the romances for the 6 dramas I am following. Sigh.

16 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

For a while there I was becoming a bit disgruntled about the lack of JKH but finally in Episode 4 he starts popping up here, there, everywhere. I like the actor that plays JHyeok well enough... he's very good in what he does with the character but JKH is an actor that really lights up the screen for me.

I had the exact same feeling when I first started this drama. I’m here because of him (JKH) & was initially disappointed with his lack of screen time. But I assure you that you will see more of him later on. What eps are you on? 

@ck1Oz This drama is an underrated gem ( on Soompi at least, it’s been very well received in SK ) The writing is good & it’s well casted. Romance is not exactly the main focus . And sometimes it can be a little bleak. Yet you will find yourself feeling hopeful at the end of every episode & the humour is spot on. This drama makes me laugh & tear up almost every episode which is rare. 

——

love this scene :D & the ost playing in the background. 

Gonna miss the 2-6 squad when this is over 

One of my favourite parts of this drama is the bromance btwn the leads. I remembered how worried I was at the beginning that Joon Ho would turn bad or something. I’m glad that JH & JH reconnected , and that je Hyeok has  Joon Ho by his side in what is possibly the lowest point in his life. I think this one year that je Hyeok has been in jail has brought growth to him & Joon Ho. We see je Hyeok learning to open up & communicate his real feelings better ( which I think was the main problem btwn him & Ji Ho) . In joon ho’s cAse , I remember how he used to tell Je Hyeok not to trust anyone here in jail & every one is a crook. But I think that’s changed as well - For instance in his latest scene with Hanyang, his attitude has changed. 

i couldn't believe myself that i would fall for dolmani character.. jaehyuk did it again. i think he would change completely if he follow jaehyuk's lead. and.. jaehyuk is amazing, how can someone like him change a person this much?

anyway.. i wish to see season 2, and i want to see more CRPT's point of view. so far, i see them as robot that appear when they are needed too..pls give us more story on CRPT men. i love the idea that someone suggest in previous page.. about captain yoo will look cool if he join the CRPT..gosh.. you guys should join the script team xD nice!!

*edit* when this end.. im gonna edit every herongi "gwenchana" scene and put it in loop... and listen to it everytime i have a bad day...

he is too adorable..

ilove this scene so much.

Yoo: how many times did i warning you do not touch my things.

HY: i can't hold it anymore. you gonna die in my hand. 

KAIST: who want to eat bibimmyeon ?

*HY raise his hand*

HY: just know that bibimmyeon just saved your life.

xD Hanyang is too cute and funny ..

8 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

i couldn't believe myself that i would fall for dolmani character.. jaehyuk did it again. i think he would change completely if he follow jaehyuk's lead. and.. jaehyuk is amazing, how can someone like him change a person this much?

anyway.. i wish to see season 2, and i want to see more CRPT's point of view. so far, i see them as robot that appear when they are needed too..pls give us more story on CRPT men. i love the idea that someone suggest in previous page.. about captain yoo will look cool if he join the CRPT..gosh.. you guys should join the script team xD nice!!

*edit* when this end.. im gonna edit every herongi "gwenchana" scene and put it in loop... and listen to it everytime i have a bad day...

he is too adorable..

ilove this scene so much.

Yoo: how many times did i warning you do not touch my things.

HY: i can't hold it anymore. you gonna die in my hand. 

KAIST: who want to eat bibimmyeon ?

*HY raise his hand*

HY: just know that bibimmyeon just saved your life.

xD Hanyang is too cute and funny ..

8 hours ago, faithinme lara said:

can you edit the part he always says 'bastard' too... that too will be a lot :lol:

couple those lines with the amount of "slides" he did in his cell. I gotta learn how to do what he did. 

@triplem I've just finished Episode 5. I'm slowly working my way through the episodes partly because I have other things I'm watching but it's probably just as well because Netflix is a little behind the local broadcast schedule. It's terrific show and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't more popular on these boards because it's such a male-centred show with very little romance to offer. Still, the quality of the writing and overall production values continues to be of a high standard. It's such a surprising series in terms where it takes the characters and so smart in the way it mixes genres in the prison context.

Thoughts on Episode 5:

I have a lot of love for Min Chul here. From the start he's come across as a big cuddly bear who could be hiding his inner gangster. It's clear why JHyun is called Jean Valjean although the true JVJ is MC. MC is the living example of a man touched by grace when he comes to grips with his own past after reading the Bible. He gives freely and has no expectation of others. But he's not naive to think that others will respond in kind just because of his generosity. He's a gracious realist.

The best part of the show for me is how humanity is depicted... in all its beautiful and ugly shades. Upstairs and downstairs. Those in authority and those incarcerated for whatever reason. People are simple and complicated.

The other fascinating part of this episode was JHyeok's public confession and rationale for quitting baseball permanently. Even before I came to this episode and just thinking about the previous one, I had come to the same conclusion. Some times  (or maybe often) it takes just as much courage or more courage to walk away from something familiar. It's something I've been thinking about myself these past months particularly in relation with my previous job. Sometimes we hold on to something because of fear because it's all we know but that thing we're holding on to might not be good for our physical or mental health.

Wow! Awesome that the forum was active the past days. I was on vacation and I tried to watch the latest episodes but "Prison Playbook" was not available where I was. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, I'm backreading and watching EP 11 now. So excited to see the scenes you guys were talking about.

Archived