[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Just because I'm not a fan of Ji Ho doesn't mean that I don't think that Ji Ho and Jae Hyuk are not an end game. I firmly believe that they'll be together at the end of the drama, regardless of any feelings I may have about it. :)  And, I'm fine with it. Heck, it's their romance after all, not mine. Ji Ho is Jae Hyuk's one and only love, and Ji Ho seems to love Jae Hyuk as well. That's probably why I find the way they separated so odd, and think that the way it was portrayed was not one of the better moments of this drama.

Yeah you're right, that is their love story. Sometimes when watch some drama, i feels like too odd to make the couple separate for a while so they will realize their feeling. I think they will end up together again in the ending of episode, its just about the time.

Because I think love story is not point out from this drama, So love story in this drama just for growing up Jae Hyuk character. Being in prison made him think again what he has done before to Ji Ho, and he's feeling to Ji Ho growing too, always miss her and think about her. Its not like he's not think about her before, but not as big as now since he's in prison.

Thank you @stroppyse for your kindness, i though you will stop for all episode. :), there is scene i was curious about. In Episode 12 when Joon Ho give a handphone to Jae Hyuk so Jae Hyuk can call Ji Hoo. What was they talking about?  

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ep 12 gave a big insight into the Ji Ho Jae Hyuk relationship, probably my favorite episode so far. That talkative prison warden and Hanyang are such scene stealers! Hope that Hanyang will have his success in being drug free once he gets out of prison, I'm rooting for him !!

055039.jpg

JoonHo is an interesting character. He is smart, talented and well versed in everything he do. But behind his calm and 'snobbish' manner, he perceived himself as a coward, as someone with no patience. The problem with (some of) smart people is that they have high expectation on themselves and also high expectation from others. This sometimes can be some sort of pressure thus leading them not dare to take any risks. I hope that our JoonHo can find what he enjoys doing. Not just JoonHo actually, I wish the same for everyone who is still looking for it.

On the other hand, smart people like Kaist and HanYang are taking too much bad risks. <_<

So many things to love in this drama but I have to say this. I love our Officer Song as a time traveller's best friend in Tomorrow With You but I love him more as a chatty officer here.

Last but not least, for Min Chul Abeoji, 

Sad that the BTS episode has a low percent chance to be subbed *stil crying*

Anyway, I would try my best to share my insights and interact with you guys more, FIGHTING!

As to the Ji Ho-Je Hyeok issue or whatever haha I can understand why Ji Ho would act that way, cause up until the last episode that I watched (episode 10) they've only shared happy memories with each other but  then again we are still yet to be introduced as to why they broke up, there is that disconnect between them in some way no matter how close they really are to each other.
Also shout out to Je Hyeok's sister her lines with Joon Ho are so female empowering (FEMINIST!) haha and to Joon Ho's brother which is underappreciated here (a little) he also offers comedy  with his interaction with his hyung and sister-in-law *wink*
*crying here because I have my midterms in a week and pretty can't watch episodes 11-12 when they are released on wednesday*
HANYANG!!!!

This is my 1st post in this forum, I've done with watching all the subbed episodes and also the last two non-subbed ones in a single day, I was apprehensive about watching it as I know this show would deal with many topics that might disturb me and leave me thinking about them but then after failing innumerous times to not think about this drama, I finally watched it all and no wonder I fell in love almost instantly with each single character and ther relationships, except like all others I too don't like Je-Hyuk and Ji-Ho's relationship but then this isn't the 1st time that these P's are doing it, both Reply 1994 and Reply 1997 dealt with relationships of wide age-gap and bonding like that of actual siblings but later turned to lovers.

While inmates each have their own unique endearing personalities, regarding prison guards they have shown the ones who're too harsh like Na, woodshop chief, corrupt like ex-chief, greedy like warden, snobbish like Joon-Ho, too soft like Paeng and Song. I always wondered why isn't there one such guard who behaves the way the prison inmates deserve!! but I guess Joon-Ho is on that way to become the perfect ideal prison guard which works with the concept of 'redemption'. Its a matter of fact that they don't need to redeem each inmate as some like Min-Chul get redeemed on their own over years after living the hard prison life, some people like most of our main cast don't even need any redemption, so there are very few people who actually need hard redemption in jails. 

There is one another person whose acting is great other than the main cast, that headache druggie whom we saw shouting at paeng to call his sister, I think paeng really did call his sister but it looked she denied paying a visit to her brother and in order to cover that paeng has been acting like he doesn't heed to his requests or infact warnings with swearings, lol. Its so funny the way Paeng keeps callings inmates "seqee'", he should try that with our looney and get the word back but all our looney is getting is love from everyone, its his luck that he got a good wing with best prison guards and infact the best room with best fellow inmates. All Je-Hyuk, Looney, Yoo have goden luck to have such precious inmates otherwise their stories would have been different, it afterall boils down to luck as to we meet with what kind of people throughout our lives.

Those scenes of torturing private Park were so visually disturbing for me, did he have to die for his sufferings to end!! I also feel pity for Yoo as he couldn't do anything even if he wanted to as their superiors din't cooperate and added to that he got unfairly blamed for getting on the wrong side of the bully. The most innocent one, actually victim of a crime.

@stroppyse Paeng is such a good human being, I think he's going to be an inspiration for Joon-Ho. I just wish Paeng takes enough care of himself too as he just keeps caring for all his wing's inmates that he doesn't even get to sleep, his dark circles might soon touch the floor, lol.

What was the convo of Song and Joon-Ho, I think Song mentioned his life-story that he's an orphan, has no family or friends, so he kept talking to everybody and to himself too in order to not feel lonely, am I right!!

Let's hope writer-nim gives us more insight into the life of Officer Paeng, all of his scenes happen in the prison lol, it's hard to believe such a nice guy is alone in his life. His humanity shows even in the tiniest aspect of his treatment towards the inmates. Thinking back, I believed he referred to Hanyang's boyfriend as "lover" on purpose, so that he won't be ridiculed and feared of by the inmates. 

Joon Ho's slowly learning from Officer Paeng that you don't have to speak "righteousness" to be righteous. To be honest, I don't think Joon Ho's all that righteous himself. Was he the one who keeps updating his brother on Je Hyuk's life inside the prison? Isn't that a breach of confidentiality?  

@Amulya Kolusu Welcome to the community! It's true this drama's like an addiction, once you get caught in it (pun intended) it's hard to get out. Officer Song is soft for sure, but I think Officer Paeng's probably selectively nice to the inmates he think deserves to be treated with respect. And he's lazy, so maybe that lead to a feel inmates thinking they can climb over his head. Except for the way Paeng handles an emergency, I actually think his way of handling the prisoners lead to a better working environment for the prison wardens in general. Joon Ho's approach actually scares me a little. He gives off an aloof vibe towards prisoners, and sometimes hard towards the mafia prisoners. Only when a prisoner overstep his boundary then he will go off in rage ( the guy who insulted the priest). Maybe the tension between him and that particular mafia prisoner will play out in the next few episodes. 

Paeng is the father-figure in the drama in a way that he isn't really expressive with his feelings and doesn't really know how to communicate with the prisoners but is still affectionate to them in many ways.

I think Jae Hyuk will little surprise a bit then will okay with it later. Jae Hyuk and Jae Hee not really close as brother and sister. Since they were a high school , they are didn't close either. Jae Hee choose to take a pics with Joon Ho instead of her brother. Even if they're not close , but Jae Hyuk character really protect her younger sister carefully. From what i read in this thread, all of you choose Joon Ho and Jae Hee story the romantic one instead of Jae Hyuk and Ji Hoo right? Because Joon Ho and Jae Hee is all about to start the relationship, so we are enjoying the process of it, but Jae Hyuk and Ji Hoo is on progress of reconciliation. And sometime  reconciliation is more tiring than the new one. 

I hope this drama will have happy ending, there are 2 JH's couple right. Jae Hyuk and Ji Ho , Joon Ho and Jae Hee. 

Can someone translate what is Krystal said on her instagram? I think in that pics is Jae Hee and Ji Ho. Are they gonna have double date? hehehe

15 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

@Pikachu92, caption just says "Jae Hyuk oppa took the picture of Jae Hee Ji Ho".

And, yes, I'm expecting there to be happy endings for both Joon Ho/Jae Hee and Jae Hyuk/Ji Ho. :)

I do think Joon Hee and Jae Hee are the more romantic couple for me. As you say, it's about exploration versus reconciliation. But also, I'm still not happy with the way the breakup between Ji Ho and Jae Hyuk was written, and it's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, especially since both Jae Hyuk and Ji Ho seem to be running away from each other at different parts of this drama, i.e. Jae Hyuk reminds Ji Ho that they're broken up and he doesn't want to see her, and at a different point, Ji Ho reminds Jae Hyuk that they are broken up, so he should contacting her. It's tiring watching them.

Thank you for translating. Yeah you're right , even in the reality something like that is so tiring. Avoid each other but actually they still love each other. In every drama that have love line like that is so tiring, but for me , still romantic when they still together though maybe that is writer nim idea to growing their feeling. If Jae Hyuk not in Jail, maybe he's not thinking about Ji Ho as much as he's at the jail because he's probably will busy with baseball, And as for Joon Ho will not meeting Jae Hee if this things not happen. 

after all, i wish the drama give every character happy ending.:) 

The PD of this show "Shin Won-Ho" is stuck up with relationships with people whom characters have known for almost their whole life. This trope remains the same in every drama of his and it just got repeated here with two more couples. I find it interesting that even after seeing all the worst part of the other person's life they still choose that person. I also think its worth giving a try as life becomes easier even though it would be less interesting to marry a person about whom we know everything.

Sadly, I don't have someone like that in my life otherwise I too would have tried dating or marrying that person. 

15 hours ago, triplem said:

Me too!!! I was so thrilled. They have been teasing each other for so many episodes now. Finally makes it officiall! 

That is also what I love about them. They are so straight forward. I mean she told his brother that she liked his hyung right away. They know what they want! It's so refreshing!

@Amulya Kolusu Koreans have this obsession with first loves, and this PD too. There is indeed something romantic about being with someone you have known all your life, and he exploits that idea to the max. Joon Hee was Jae Hee's first love too.

@stroppyse I agree with you that Ji Hoo and Jae Hyuk si a bit tiring, even Joon Hee thinks so! ha ha... I love how frustrated he gets with those two. I am assuming that we'll discover the reason for that soon, in one of the flashbacks. I am sure there is a reason why Jae Huyk is trying to keep his distance, besides the whole prison thing.

Gosh, I was going to write with initials, but they all have the same initials JH! Ha ha!... :crazy:

6 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I am assuming that we'll discover the reason for that soon, in one of the flashbacks. I am sure there is a reason why Jae Huyk is trying to keep his distance, besides the whole prison thing.

Because that is Jae Hyuk personality, he's slow and not talking to much, he's always choose alone when lose the game. The reason is because he's just don't want the person he's love feeling the same thing as him. He's always carry it alone. Even since before Jae Hyuk and Ji Hoo dating. And Jae Hyuk still like that until they are dating. And every woman who have frustating boyfriend is will have hard time because, why are they dating if don't help each other when the other one have dificult situation or anything. Just worried alone, thinking alone. That is why Ji Ho asking fo break up. Actually Jae Hyuk love story is just for growing up his character.

New Behind The Scene

I'm late to the party but this is good. Really good actually. It has the quirky, bleakly humorous and yet heartwarming feel that reminds me a little of Yu Na's Street. I wish had been on board since the beginning but better late than never. :wink: Netflix's been pestering me for a while now to watch this but I wasn't sure if this was up my alley. Of course when I found out that JKH was in it, well... I couldn't less it pass without having a peek.

I hope the rest of it is just as good. Love the concept and the execution so far. 

Episode 13 Preview :

Preview teks :

똘마니에게 포수를 제안한 제혁, 사람들은 제혁의 생각을 도무지 알 수가 없고, 그런 그가 걱정스럽기만 하다. 소장의 허가로 일주일 간 휴대폰을 사용하게 된 제혁. 과연, 남은 시간 안에 지호와 다시 연락 할 수 있을까? 슬기로운 감빵생활 매주 (수목) 밤 9시 10분 tvN

I'm so curious about next episode, @stroppyse, can you translate it for me? Hehehe

21 hours ago, stroppyse said:

@Pikachu92, here is almost a complete translation. I'm not entirely sure of what Kaist is saying without more context, though I translated what I could hear.

Paeng: He’s a professional athlete. He may look placid, but he knows when to show force.
Man: That’s just talk. Would he really want to do that? He’s a totally violent assaulter. Totally violent assaulter.
Jae Hyuk: Jung Woo, you ordered it, right?
Yoo: Yes, hyung.
Kaist: That Richard Simmons, he wants to be a terminator again, so he’s starting his engine.
Song: It really will be okay, won’t it?
Delivery guy: A letter has come.
Kaist: Guess what I got?
HY: That person must really like prison.
Min Chul: You’re totally excited. When are you going to grow up?
Kaist: (think he's just making a shooting sound with his finger guns)
HY: I can’t endure it any more.

Translation of the text preview:

To Dolmani whom Jae Hyuk had proposed to be his training partner, other people have no idea what Jae Hyuk could be thinking, however they keep worrying about him. Using a cell phone that he has had for a week with the warden’s permission, Jae Hyuk. Ultimately, in the time left inside, will he be able to contact Ji Ho again? Wise Prison Life every week (Wed-Thurs) night at 9:30 pm tvN.

Thank you for translating. Why are Jae Hyuk is look so angry, it must be because of Ji Ho. I'm so curious did Ji Ho accept his friend confession? If she's not accept it, why Ji Ho reject Jae Hyuk. So frustating. lol

Thanks a lot @stroppyse for translating the preview and BTS videos!

The drama never fails to impress me every episode. Really love to see relationship between cell 2-6 inmates. Glad to know about Lt. Paeng and Lt. Song's story. The warden is great too with his stand on flexibility.

Honestly, I am not really interested about Jehyuk-Jihoo, so it is bearable as it takes just little screen time. I think it is due to writing about their relationship. Huhu.

Really excited to watch next two episodes!

Archived