[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

About KS and the young king, was anyone else expecting them to have been close originally?

I might subconsciously have been influenced by the adorable KS-GR bromance because I was totally taken aback by the fact that they didn't appear to be close or that friendly in the past. Makes KS's loyalty to the death even harder to take for me. KS's literally died because he was too loyal to the previous King and because he loved his sister who tried to protect WY.

And then he gets punished for centuries for the things he did because of his loyalty and love. If he and WY had originally been closer, I would have felt a bit better because he would have at least had some real feelings for the King he was dying for.

The way things went down is one of the most unfair things to happen to a good person. His current relationship with GR now seems like a compensation for how not close they were in the past. Hopefully, it's this closeness in the present that will help KS forgive GR and get over the past once the truth comes out.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, gamshe said:

Yes it is cliche ahaha (I personally love cliches) but also very very far away. I don't even know how they can even touch each other any time soon at this state of their relationship lmao *cries internally* And since there are fan photos of Dongwook shooting with his hat on again...I am not expecting any progress soon...maybe at the last episode lmao *dies*

I am also expecting to see Yoo Inna's acting more. I don't know how to name it, of course she has been acting too (obviously) but I wanna see her doing more serious(?) acting. Like her scene with Euntak when she came back. That was a very touching scene, reminded me again why I became a Yoo Inna fan in the first place.

I agree just have to say loved YIN in QIHM.  I know she is the second lead but imo YIN has been underutilized its a shame, she has been great so far in the Sunny role but I am hoping that she will have a bit more to do in the last few episodes.

Also love the friendship with Sunny/ET I actually want more interaction with them both.

• Like 8

On 12/30/2016 at 2:10 PM, annura25 said:

Okay I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet because it's so obvious but did anyone notice that Deok Hwa was like "I have my ways of finding her" and the scene immediately changed to the godly butterfly looking for Eun Tak. That has to mean that deok hwa is god himself or that he is related to the gods! That's for sure

I was going to ask for theories about Deok Hwa turning into a butterfly.  He has some supernatural powers; but what is the significance?  How does he fit into the picture?  Perhaps that is how he knew who the grim reaper and goblin were.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Carmarie said:

I was going to ask for theories about Deok Hwa turning into a butterfly.  He has some supernatural powers; but what is the significance?  How does he fit into the picture?  Perhaps that is how he knew who the grim reaper and goblin were.  

Deok Hwa is really interesting... He has that connection with the goddess of birth. I rewatched episode 1 and when she is describing God, she says that he is "jealous and selfish" and somehow that fits DH very well. He is definitely selfish and he was jealous of ET with the camera for instance. The butterfly keeps appearing too. He was indeed able to find ET. He has more clever than we think and he seems to know more than he leads on.

At the same time, jealousy and selfishness also fit the 3rd generation chaebol; ha ha! He knew KS was the Goblin when KS, while drunk, made gold appear in front of him when he was a kid. He knew GR was a grim reaper after Goblin said so when he was creating fog in tthe house and they argued about why (KS had a fight with ET). He was suprised to read KS's love letter, surprised to hear he had a sword in his chest, surprised to hear the Goblin's name was Kim Shin. Of course, he could pretend to be surprised.... or not... I know this does not help... ha ha!

As for now, it seems there are elements pointing towards for both directions... Don't you think?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, anipanch said:

haha if SBS does something like that, it would be nastyyy XD But it's apparent that they are trying any means to make the LOTBS reach as high as possible. While it's a good drama it lacks in many ways and is a little cliche to me. I stopped watching it after 5th episode, even tho I love Jun Jihyun very much and like Lee Minho's acting very much(my first time watching him). Goblin is far superior for me. I bet it would achieve far better ratings if not for the cable TV. Unfortunately LOTBS couldn't keep up with expectations, even with a cast like that

Sbs always doing promotion over than expectation and I hate what are doing to do my favourite variety show.Lobts have higher rating from goblin but we know which drama is better to us.Thats why I hate rating system and didnt follow so much but I wish congratulations to goblin because it needs more recoginition for harworking production amd excellent cast in acting.:wub:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, millie10468 said:

About KS and the young king, was anyone else expecting them to have been close originally?

I might subconsciously have been influenced by the adorable KS-GR bromance because I was totally taken aback by the fact that they didn't appear to be close or that friendly in the past. Makes KS's loyalty to the death even harder to take for me. KS's literally died because he was too loyal to the previous King and because he loved his sister who tried to protect WY.

And then he gets punished for centuries for the things he did because of his loyalty and love. If he and WY had originally been closer, I would have felt a bit better because he would have at least had some real feelings for the King he was dying for.

The way things went down is one of the most unfair things to happen to a good person. His current relationship with GR now seems like a compensation for how not close they were in the past. Hopefully, it's this closeness in the present that will help KS forgive GR and get over the past once the truth comes out.

Don't know about bromance, but I was surprised when they showed Reaper as the grown up king, since the corpse that Shin saw after coming back as a goblin, seemed a bit short to me? I thought the young king had a premature death, but who knew he had to go through a painful departure maybe.

@packmule3 You don't have to search for my whereabouts, I occasionally visit your profile just to keep tab on your new posts, so all you need to do is go to your homepage heheh. [But the tagging system works so I don't have to go through that anymore yayy]. Anyway I was disappointed when they kind of disclosed that reaper 'was' in fact the king [ wang yeo in his fake glory and etc], but I would really love to keep debating on 'is he or isn't he the king' theory. We do know by now that KES is not so subtle in giving away her hints, so I don't want to expect too much from her.. :/ though I wish I could. Right now all of their identity is screaming right at my face, so I want her to surprise me, if she can. 

About KGE being pretty or non-pretty, well I always had a thing for plain looking heroine [bronte and austens damaged me badly lol ], like you mentioned , it also hit me when Shin said to his sister ' what, you are not looking for integrity in his character, but rather the face value?' Shin was always a man of a character and the somberness in his face vouches for the no-nonsense behavior too. So as I was saying, when a face is not 'just all about prettiness, rather when their boldness and moral virtues make their face worthwhile, then we don't have to look for physical attributes or glamour to stick to them. Because of who they are as a person, we would keep looking at them more and more, and at second and third glance oddly, they look more precious, they grow on us. Same can be said for ET too. She is more than a pretty face [ even if she is one], she knows about the hardships of life and basically has broader outlooks on life than Shin, who doesn't even understand what she hints at, [ on whether he loves her or not, or whether he meant it when he said he loves her]. She is someone who he can have a real conversation with, and she 'gets' his jokes and appreciates his efforts as a war general who fought for his people or when he tries to sell the pink laced socks [pun intended]. In relationships these are more important factors which make them work rather than just visual attraction, goes without saying. But yes, only someone as insightful as Shin would notice ET's charm, someone who's looking for superficial reasons, would sadly fail to realize what they are missing. As they say beauty is in fact in the eyes of the beholder.

• Like 13

i love this couple .Sunny is a strong woman , she likes him from the first sights , she bravely approached him and she was patient but she can't stay in a relationship with a man who find saying his name is a sensitive issue .

Uri grimmy is an honest man he can say i miss you and i like you without hesitation and he can't make up stories about his occupation , he can't fool her yet he is so desperate he can't stop her either .

i love you WangSun , i am sorry i am not sure whether our writer will grant my long time wish and give them more screentime so i am hoping they have their own drama later , 

• Like 12

@rrmski I agree that the melancholy aspect of this show is what makes it more beautiful and popular too!! Like this article puts it "There is an underlying sadness in all art, a melancholy we feel when we face true beauty. It’s that ache, that longing, that we can’t quite describe when we witness something truly wonderful." This is what I experience every time I watch Goblin!

@bebebisous33 Thank you for tagging me! I again loved your posts on the walking, and also on the GR/King saving Sunny/Queen from falling!! I get distracted by GY and KGE and the cinematography color-eyes-smiley.gif?1292867573 and miss out on these details!!

@ceressi That ET-KS before after video is awesome!! Tells us that KES is so so smart!! She is not the nerdy awkward Ahjumma she wants us to believe she is. I wouldn't believe she is the same writer we saw at the Goblin press con!!! I even complained why she was getting all the spotlight over the director!! KES is good at trolling!!

Which is also why the reason why I want to believe she has more cards that she has not shown us! There is no scene or dialogue that has been put in as a filler. Everything has a reason. @packmule3 Like you I am still suspicious of the last shot of GR as the King!!! Even though all logical pointers are for GR is the King. Something here doesn't flow smoothly!!yoga-smiley.gif?1292867705 Yes, what about all the nuances shown by the GR!!! What about all the witty lines and the tricky editing and camera work!!! Oh the journey seemed so much more interesting than the approaching destination!!! No, we still have 6 episodes!!!!

@packmule3 I hate to admit but the white robe of the King can be explained by the white robe of the earlier King on his deathbed. Looking forward to ET Kim Shin post!! interview-smiley.gif?1292867625

Spoiler

Goblin10-00203.jpg

pic cr @uglypearl

Goblin10-01059.jpg

pic cr Dramabeans

• Like 13

@packmule3 @selenette 

I know you both requested that I tag you on my post and I do if the post is about the drama proper.

Also P3 Since I was responding to your post I assume you automatically got notification.

Addiction to spoilers-relapse

Spoiler

I'm less likely to tag if the post is me rambling on about why folks are talking about KGE beauty when she is technically more classically beautiful in terms of symmetry and proportion than YG and LDW.

Misogyny patriarchy from the keyboards of women drive me the hell crazy -- especially since they aren't even aware how poisoned and poisonous the attitude is.

Packmule3, I would never take you on in a battle of observation, analysis, or memory because 1) I like my head on top of my neck, and 2) I would never want to work that hard.  

Chile, you slay.

Narratively I'm still with Sunny is the queen crowd. 

Offensive opinion ahead. You've been warned.  P3 you can enter anywhere.

Spoiler

Because if Sunny is the king we have two very opaque and IMO rather static and boring characters holding up on end of the story.

Actually P3 that might actually support your position that Sunny is the King--they are one and the same/pretty and boring as hell.  [I think it is funny you use observed evidence and deep thought on this and I've decided if they are the same it is because they are equally boring and somewhat passive and reactive. LOL]

FYI, I think as I talk/write.  Even if I pre-think ideas the moment I try to put them into the world, different, often contradictory perspectives comes to mind. 

Unless the next 6 episodes reverses/ radically expands what has happen before Sunny and the King being the same seems like a narrative or a performance (Sunny especially) failure.  YIA fans, I like the actress but I just don't know what she is adding to the complexity of the story.  I hope the creative team allows her to do work soon -really because what she has been given to do could have been accomplished by a very good mannequin. As I write I'm getting even more irritated for the actor.  It is as if the sum total (redundant for emphasis) definition  of her character is "pretty person". They haven't given her more than that to play.  Yes she is beautiful in a totally symmetrical uninteresting way.  YIA does better in roles when she adds major and unexpected quirks to the work to the fact that she is beautiful.

My continued hesitation about seeing the Sunny as the king is about the balance of justice in the narrative.  If the king ordered the death of Kim Sun, Kim Shin and all their relatives and servants how the hell how does he escape divine justice? For the narrative not to leave a bitter taste because murderous bullies avoid punishment even in the after life two of our(my) assumption about the world must be wrong.

1) being reincarnated is always a reward. --Possibly Sunny's life is way more miserable than it looks on the surface and Sunny/king has been reincarnated several times in a failed attempt to undo pass mistake, make restitution and find redemption.

2) Being a Grim Reaper is not a punishment for having committed Heinous crimes/sins in a past life.  Being chosen as a Grim Reaper an act of grace.  Instead being a Grim Reaper is a work-study-like purgatory existence where if you haven't earned a happy afterlife and because you have issues you need to redeem,  therefore you work your way through until the opportunity for redemption appears.

[This is not what I intended to write when I began this post. In fact it is the opposite of what I intended to write. However the more I write this, the more possible it seems.  As I tell my acting students repeatedly, characters lie.  They lie to each other and they lie to themselves. I think it was Shin who told ET/or the GR or DH (I have no idea) that being a GR was a punishment--i don't remember under what circumstances, so he might have lied or just not know.  I think he told the GR and the GR seemed to ponder what he might have done that was so horrible.]

2a) If being chosen as a Grim Reaper is an act of Grace I can see how the GR could be KIm Sun.  Also it gives greater meaning to the story of the Grim Reaper recognizing the soul of his past wife and running off with her. Unlike what we have been led to believe, the Grim Reaper absconding with the wife is not an aberration but destiny.  He was meant to be with his wife after he had done his time in purgatory.

From my Sunny is the queen stance-

P3, How do you explain seeing the LDW as king?  Whose vision is that.  Because 1) the queen is already dead so she never got to see her king age. 2) Goblin never saw the older version of the King alive, so who vision of the Wang Yeo are we seeing?

Spoiler

Lol. You know me @hushhh, I try to give you a fair answer.

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, here’s the second part of my response because I know you, @nearsea  @phikyl @LyraYoo @ariesw and a few others would like to know my reaction to the cliffhanger in Episode 10.  

:)

Sigh. One day, I think I shall change my screenname from packmule3 to Dartmouth3. That’ll be my excuse to adopt the college’s motto Vox clamantis in deserto because I always seem to be odd one out here in soompi.  

This is me, channeling Shin --

Reveal hidden contents

But I’ve made up my mind:  Reaper was the Queen.  

I have my reasons, and given this interesting cliffhanger that the director/writer trolled us with in Episode 10, I’ll stick with them.

If we were playing poker, I’d call this director/writer’s bluff. 

a0426ec84a5a4e860d49e577b98ec606.jpg

(photo: @phikyl Thanks!)

Important spoiler. 

Reveal hidden contents

Do you remember in R88, @hushhh when after Episode 9 was televised, I said that since the *line was not crossed*, the future husband must be the underdog, Taec, and not that hunk everybody was rooting for? I also wrote that hints were in place since Episode 1, while Episode 2 was littered with insiders jokes that would only be understood by the viewers ONCE the show was over. I even listed a few of those hints to serve as examples in case readers want to look for more of them themselves.    YUP!

Wellllll….those exact same things are happening again in Goblin. (I don’t mean JUST the obvious self-referential jokes that @LyraYoo made gifs of.) I think it’s a tvN thing or something. lol. 

Episodes 9 and 10 are indeed pivot points. Like in R88, the hints were there from the beginning but they made sense if only if the Reaper is the Queen. 

For instance, why would the Goblin be so rude as to tell the Reaper, who was minding his own business, that he had a “vulgar disguise” on? Shin was normally tactful and decorous with others, but he was confrontational and sarcastic with the Reaper at their first encounter. They didn’t know each other before then, only heard rumors, so where was this sense of easy familiarity coming from?

Answer: Observe how Shin played mind-games with his younger sister, by calling her "ugly" or "ugly duckling."  Shin and his beloved sister liked to banter.   

Then, there were those odd camera shots of the Reaper’s quirky habits. (I'm sorry; I'm keeping them back for now.) Those camera shots were missed by the viewers because they were distracted by the comedic antics of the boys.  As far as I know, science doesn’t have peer-reviewed experiments and empirical research on reincarnation. I think the closest medical condition that can be related to reincarnation is retrograde amnesia, i.e., amnesia wherein the person cannot recall events that happened BEFORE the occurrence of amnesia.

In most cases, the amnesiac will NOT have memories of past events and old information, but he will retain “procedural” memories or memories of his old HABITS and mannerisms. Like, the amnesiac will be able to replicate how he walked, sat, stood, ate before amnesia occurred, but he won't be able to remember birthdays, phone numbers, and meetings. Now, the Reaper had habits that were carbon copy of the Queen’s movements.  

It also explains their mental telepathy or why only the two of them could communicate telepathically. Their “psychic” connection stems from their close bonds as siblings -- the same heredity and the same environment. This power to read each other’s mind is thought to be common with twins and long-married couples.[ I assumed the mental telepathy was a supernatural being thing]

It also explains the Grim Reaper’s LACK of cellphone, name, business cards, a reputable job, and now, religion (he chose ATHEISM! That was so witty that I laughed. Atheism = NO religion).  I pointed this out earlier. Shin’s sister was considered LACKING or inferior because her military brother was her only claim to social stature. Shin’s sister was a non-royal and she was looked down upon by the court.  The Eunuch warned the king not to hold a lowly person in high esteem. I[i see the cross century association/substitution.]

It also explains “weird” selections of dialogues or scenarios.  For instance, we understood why the three men were watching kpop. That was to introduce the possibility of a reincarnated king in a female body. But we didn't understand why the director CHOSE to film the three men watching a morning kdrama where a shocking SECRET BIRTH was revealed. Later, the Reaper deadpanned and asked Shin, whether Shin's flabbergasted face was his delayed reaction to the news of the secret identity,  This was a meta-joke, of course. . [I agree with you on the cross sex reincarnation line.  It stands out almost like Chekhov gun over the fireplace.  In someways it was a smooth hint drop, it kind of stood out awkwardly]

There are plenty more hints. But I’m not going over them today/tonight because I'm sleepy. Besides, I must let others have a chance. 

So, there you go, hushhh, nearsea, et al.  That’s where I stand now and where I’ll stand till the end of the show. :)

I’m sure people will have different opinions. That’s fine. It’s a free country. But I hope people won’t inconvenience me by tagging me or PM’ing me to argue. [ Not fair.  You can't write that you must give others a chance then say people can't tag you to argue.  --I know you don't mean me.  Think of this a a medeval joust, you are the champion and everyone should have a chance to throw a lance or two.] I’ve no time and patience to deal with that…again.  My attitude is: if I’m wrong, then I’m wrong. No biggie. This is just kdrama. At worst, I can just be Kim Shin, cursing at the kdrama deities for 939 years.  :tears:

Since I consider you all my friends, I hope to have a rewatch like we did with R88. I think it would be interesting to go over this kdrama with a fine-tooth comb. Time permitting of course.   I  haven't been able to watch 10, historic section properly because I keep drifting off due to exhaustion.  I had no idea there was a mystery in this .I'm not really into predictive analysis, mostly because some of it is so ???? it can destroy my joy especially when people throw tantrums because the writers didn't tell the story they made up for themselves. Since I teach, I'm always interested in reconstructive analysis, after knowing to story to see how is was built.

When you are watching, what is it that gives you pleasure. The story or the cleverness of the construction? 

Good night, ladies. Tomorrow’s a long day.  

Tagging: @romanov @Sarang21 @maryofbethany  @salz @bebe1989 @vivvianne22 @letataves @naritul (it's okay to disagree... No pressure.)  @gutibear @staygold @Athenaries @kokodus @crazyoverkdrama

• Like 13

SOOP's BTS video of Gong Yoo that was released yesterday along with the HQ photos

Our maknae Sunjae mentioned Gong Yoo's very good looking and very talll in Naver V Live broadcast :wub:

Spoiler

C1QO4Y1VQAA35GZ.jpg

C1QO7_FVIAAqpo3.jpg

C1QO_vGUcAAU0er.jpg

C1QPHF-UkAEvPud.jpg

*************************************************************************************************

CHANYEOL's first live performance of Stay With Me for V App Goodnight Broadcast 170103

Edited by ucylucy
  • Like 20

@ucylucy I was going to post the Running Man mentioning Goblin, too. Lol! I laughed soo hard when I watched that episode! Jae Suk making fun of Kwang Soo that he doesn't look like the goblin, but just a hallucination. :lol: :sweat_smile: Running man is too great!! Gonna miss them! :cry:

@shynaz I would have to agree on the photo you posted with the precious things to our characters. Lol! It was just soo funny when Deok Hwa cried about his uncle dying and he doesn't care for the credit card, but the moment he came back, Deok Hwa refuses to give up the credit card. Oh! How I love his character. Just give him his credit card already! LOL! 

• Like 10

Gah I've been trying to post since yesterday because I got a bug on my account that doesn't let me reply to any topics >.< Well here's my new account(same username) even though no one knows me lol 

Could it perhaps be that I reached post limit or posted too many things earlier today? does anyone know anything about this?

I have to admit, it is what everyone here posts that gets me through the week until the next episodes air :tears: <3 

So here's a few pictures I am in love with to get us through this week 

Gong Yoo in DISCOVERY EXPEDITION jackets that they wore in episode 9

Spoiler

GYDE102016-1.jpg&key=115e400ae5bb4b5bcc7

GYDE102016header.jpg

GYDE102016-6.jpg

GYDE102016-2.jpg

GYDE102016-5.jpg

GYDE102016-8.jpg

GYDE102016-7.jpg

GYDE102016-3.jpg

GYDE102016-4.jpg

Also, here's some beautiful captures from ep9

Spoiler

goblin09-00426.jpg

tumblr_inline_oj5duntYkr1qzeh7x_540.png

tumblr_oj0kqiLKUr1vem8apo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj0kqiLKUr1vem8apo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj0kqiLKUr1vem8apo2_1280.jpg

Edited by yukipinkk
  • Like 21

@hushhh About Sunny,

Spoiler

I agree that they have not done much at all with her. I know that as second lead she will get less screen time but they have relegated her too much in the background and they could have done so much with her, having watched QIHM can't help but feel like they wasted an opportunity with YIN. They gave Sunny a great background and YIN has great chemistry with the cast but must of the time she does feel like a guest appearance with not much do. I am waiting for the last episodes to play out as now Sunny has a lot to figure out with Grim, Shin and her past.

I also didnt think it made sense narrative wise for Sunny to be the King, I feel like the writers wanted to make an impact with Shin and Grim and like I mentioned Sunny was way too much in the background for it to truly have an effect on the story and Shin also the fact they meet way too late in the story.

• Like 7

New behind the scene clips! Gong yoo seems very fond of Kim go eun. He said she's one of his favourite actress and look forward to work with her.

https://youtu.be/DIlce758OwQ

Another behind the scenes clip. The floating knife fight is hilarious. Gong yoo and lee dong woo adlib that scene.

https://youtu.be/X1DUf2LDAQY

Edit: another bts! Goblin being proud and invited reaper and deokhwa to the sauna. Lol

https://youtu.be/3reDngZymEI

The atmosphere of the filming set is so fun. They are laughing a lot. Hopefully it stays fun until the end. :)

Its wednesday, 2 days to friday! Yayyy~ waiting (im)patiently for the next episode!

(this is why i cant watch drama's when its still airing. I get absorbed. The same happened during reply 94 and reply 88. I call it my yearly korean drama fix. Hahaha)

Edited by katakwasabi
  • Like 8