Add and Subtract Game

Admin

wondering whether to post a longer explanation...  @Thong Thin ~ am not watching mr. queen. it sounds really silly and dumb. :sweatingbullets:...

I think the way you react to horror or supernatural elements really depends on one's own cultural and religious beliefs. we had this discussion in the events thread for halloween and someone was explaining they relate more to turkish horror movies because the idea of jin is something they are familiar with whereas the western horror genre seems odd. I think that's my reaction to the synopsis of mr. queen.

so like @kokodus and @Sleepy Owl were asking, I think it is weird that female lead's original spirit just disappears and there is no mention. that doesn't seem logical to me. again, this is because of how our local movies and drama shaped on our beliefs would respond to such a scene. so in such stories, the other spirit cannot just disappear. the horror element comes from a spirit taken over a body for a period of time and owner has no control and are in a kind of jail. there is always a stipulated time frame where the stealing spirit gets stronger and stronger and if they cross that moon or sun rising, then the thief spirit takes over and the owner is basically killed. the thief spirit isn't just hanging out for fun but there is always a vendetta and wanting to create havoc.

and @Sejabin was wondering why all these time slips and possessions happen near water. again, you have to take cultural factors. in many, final rites are often done near water -- like spreading of ashes and memorial rites. when there is an incomplete rite like in the case of murder or suicide, the spirit is said to hover near the water. in many cultures, the idea that water acts as a kind of gateway between worlds exist. if we see this further, it is taken to sci-fi genre where time slips often happen through water. in ancient times, drowning was common and there were lots of folktales about spirits in water dragging people to their death. basically strong water currents but that is how it got translated or maybe there were spirits, who knows.. this would mean that the original queen died in water and thats why this chef was able to take over as he also fell in the water in the same spot. in that case, the queen was then either murdered or killed herself. so it makes you wonder then what happened to the queen...

depending on how your culture handles ghosts, then that influences your reaction too. we have horror comedy genre but even in that, ghosts are never mocked -- the threat and possession is always taken seriously but the comedy lies in how the people handle the situation and the danger. when we sit in a group and talk of ghost stories, there will always be someone who has some experience of the supernatural or know someone who has...

so I get this drama is not meant to be taken seriously at all and there is no logic..but I feel the way @pompyavi reacts to badly constructed sci-fi with a "what????? hammmm"..... yea, not my type of drama.  shrug.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

Hey there Chingus  

57712776.jpg

@Lmangla I agree with you here, since childhood a lot of us have heard stories about the ghosts lurking around the water bodies, especially the rivers, and that we should not even get close to it forget about getting in when alone. Of course one of the main reasons behind these stories is that, it is not really wise to get into water all alone, not even in pool I believe because emergencies in water always require someone else's help. But at the same time we cannot really ignore the fact that many do believe the ghost stories of water bodies because of the reasons you mentioned. 

Also yeah, while I really hope we could see what happened to the real spirit here, or at least see it being swapped, but I don't think we'll see it happen. Main reason being Choi Jin Hyuk did a cameo role here, and well as I said in the previous post on the same, it would make the story a bit more complicated and the writers would need to write more.

Let's see how they will continue with this drama, it is off to a really strong start, and I hope it continues to do so.

+2

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

morning everyone!

@Thong Thin ~ am not watching mr. queen. ... no interest at all to even check out ep 1.. shrug...

EDIT: finished back reading. @Jillia ~ hope you are feeling better today and recovered. hugs.

Thanks @Lmangla and @Sleepy Owl for the feedback on Mr Queen.

I might give a second thought, lol

@Jillia Christmas is near, do take care, hope you recover soon.

:smooches3:

@Sejabin happy for you and family, happy reunion and happy bonding.

Not all love the smell and taste of durians. My whole family loves it except one of my sibling.

@mirmz since Christmas is around the corner, are you still attending classes.

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 5

33 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Also yeah, while I really hope we could see what happened to the real spirit here, or at least see it being swapped, but I don't think we'll see it happen. Main reason being Choi Jin Hyuk did a cameo role here, and well as I said in the previous post on the same, it would make the story a bit more complicated and the writers would need to write more.

yea, they are also going for a comedy angle and so it would be hard for it to be funny if they had to explain the possession... so they will just ignore it like you were saying...

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 5

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

so I get this drama is not meant to be taken seriously at all and there is no logic..but I feel the way @pompyavi reacts to badly constructed sci-fi with a "what????? hammmm"..... yea, not my type of drama.  shrug.

Yeah I totally understand the concept of Horror as you explained. And yeah I seriously can't take a badly constructed sci-fi. I generally don't watch Horror dramas as I find them a little creepy and weird. All those faces either becomes a comedy or haunts me while I sleep. The only horror drama I liked was The Guest. Even I was surprised I liked it. That being said I also won't watch Mr Queen. Comedy with horror doesn't blend with me. I like serious and scary horror after watching Guest.

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

16 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Yeah I totally understand the concept of Horror as you explained. And yeah I seriously can't take a badly constructed sci-fi. I generally don't watch Horror dramas as I find them a little creepy and weird. All those faces either becomes a comedy or haunts me while I sleep. The only horror drama I liked was The Guest. Even I was surprised I liked it. That being said I also won't watch Mr Queen. Comedy with horror doesn't blend with me. I like serious and scary horror after watching Guest.

Hey there Chingu, I wouldn't really categorize Mr. Queen in horror, despite the body possession, mainly because it is more of a body swap than the possession here. For now, the main reason I liked it and will be watching it is because of the comedy here, and hopefully the plot will start getting more interesting too :wow1:

+2

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 3

4 hours ago, forme26 fi said:

@Min2206 hello chingu.stay healthy and have a nice day.

Hello @forme26 fi ! You minus or plus? :kiss_wink:

3 hours ago, Min2206 said:

The C-version so hot, so hot .. even the way the costumes flowing or flying makes it hotter... naaa, I prefer our K-version.    Did you come out with the 4 endings .. wow!   Glad you and @Sleepy Owl love the drama.. . so far SHS has not been disappointing - must be our Zoppa's aura:D

Our oppa is hotter than anyone in the C-drama or the K-drama. :D 

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

@Ameera Ali Awaken episode 5 ending was again something that I didn't expect. This episode was kind of slow, and a bit confusing, but well, things are getting clearer too

Ouch. The drama thread on Soompi is pretty slow as well. Seems that I wasn't the only one struggling with it. :(

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@Thong Thin ~ am not watching mr. queen. ... no interest at all to even check out ep 1.. shrug...

I will force you to watch the first 5 minutes of ep 1. :joy: Our EO oppa is featured in it. He's so cute! :love:

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

Sweetie, think of it as a makjang. No logic. :joy: You must watch oppa's part though. :joy:

Also, it's a comedy - not a horror drama.

Morning everyone! A new Soompi Winterland clue is up. @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng, you should especially like this one.... I expect you to solve it... haha :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

9 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Hey there Chingu, I wouldn't really categorize Mr. Queen in horror, despite the body possession, mainly because it is more of a body swap than the possession here. For now, the main reason I liked it and will be watching it is because of the comedy here, and hopefully the plot will start getting more interesting too

Sibling, I am planning to go for Demon Slayer now. But I am still not over Haikyuu. So will watch some episodes until am over it. I stopped watching animes in 3 years ago and started kdramas. Now I think I will take a break from kdramas (obviously I will watch my oppa's dramas) and complete my anime watching. Comedy dramas I seriously can't watch more than 2 episodes unless there's some mystery to it.

• Like 2
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4

@pompyavi ~ yea, I understand how you feel about sci-fi. I had a friend like that. I remember watching the movie "armageddon" with bruce willis and ben afleck. she turned to me and said "this makes no sense; you can't have an explosion in space because there is no oxygen. it would be an implosion. so why did they spend money on creating so much fire explosion?" I still laugh when I remember her rather annoyed wry comment.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 2

5 minutes ago, partyon said:

Morning everyone! A new Soompi Winterland clue is up. @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng, you should especially like this one.... I expect you to solve it... haha

HELLO eonni, I know the drama. Now I know I have to look in Actress section since our sibling will like it.

+2

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea, I understand how you feel about sci-fi. I had a friend like that. I remember watching the movie "armageddon" with bruce willis and ben afleck. she turned to me and said "this makes no sense; you can't have an explosion in space because there is no oxygen. it would be an implosion. so why did they spend money on creating so much fire explosion?" I still laugh when I remember her rather annoyed wry comment.

Well yeah I have seen that in many scifi movies where they would put a loud sound for an implosion. And I would get irritated as an implosion in space would make no sound because air particles aren't there to carry the sound particles. I would facepalm watching it as that's the basic thing. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Blob 4

13 minutes ago, partyon said:

I will force you to watch the first 5 minutes of ep 1. :joy: Our EO oppa is featured in it. He's so cute!

kekkeke... saw all the gifs and my duty is done. :P

yea, there is no horror element but my brain is automatically thinking ''this is a possession. it has to be horror! error alert!" :lol:

11 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Well yeah I have seen that in many scifi movies where they would put a loud sound for an implosion. And I would get irritated as an implosion in space would make no sound because air particles aren't there to carry the sound particles. I would facepalm watching it as that's the basic thing. 

have you read/heard the reviews of neil degrasse tyson? he is hilarious -- his review of armageddon "it broke more physics laws per minute than other movie" :joy: for those who don't know, he is a astrophysicist scientist, head of a planetarium museum in new york and has hosted several science documentary programs. very articulate and quite funny as well. he is know for this hilarious 'battle' with titantic director....

• LOL 7

Hi @partyon

:ok: 

I'll take your heed to watch Mr Queen just for 5 mins.

Guess it wont kill my guts, by the way what is EO :tounge_wink:

@pompyavi  same here. I don't like ghost story and it scare me out of my wits plus if its comedy, then 

i find it doesnt even fit me at all.

Ah @Sleepy Owl, so Mr Queen is not really ghost possess but rather body swap.

Seems the rating is good and  oh! ....just read that oppa Choi Jin Hyuk is making a special appearance.

Have you watch Two Cops ... there's also body swap between KSH and JJS.

@Lmangla saw your Day 7 clue... will try but seems very hard to me :blush:

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea, there is no horror element but my brain is automatically thinking ''this is a possession. it has to be horror! error alert!" :lol:

Oppa studied Shin Hye Sun's body language and acting style in beforehand and tried to match his acting to hers. He was successful because it does feel like oppa is now trapped in a woman's body. :D

Shin Hye Sun is doing a fantastic job!

This is not a slapstick comedy but it is a comedy. There will also be palace intrigues and politics (incl. some mystery elements) and I also hope that they would be bold enough to include romance in it. :wub:

This is also not a horror type of drama. We know both player oppa and the real queen fell into water, and it isn't clear if either of them actually died and how player oppa inhabited the real queen's body. In the original c-drama the real queen's soul is never featured, which just made me conclude that her soul "died" in the accident and only player oppa's soul continued to live in the queen's body.

@Thong Thin EO oppa means Event Organizer oppa. :D

502 ***corrected

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

45 minutes ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Hey there Chingu, I wouldn't really categorize Mr. Queen in horror, despite the body possession, mainly because it is more of a body swap than the possession here. For now, the main reason I liked it and will be watching it is because of the comedy here, and hopefully the plot will start getting more interesting too 

+2

14 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

Hey, who says Mr Queen is a horror story - isn't it a comedy??!  Can't we just take it from this angle?

I hope you guys don't mind if some of us including @Ameera Ali @partyon and myself continue to roll some fun on Mr Queen in this thread.

Thanks @partyon for the clue, will head there later

• Like 2
  • Blob 4