Add and Subtract Game

Admin

@mouse007 ~ am okay with some open endings where it doesn't matter that I know how the future will turn out for the character. it is because the actual conflict is something more profound like self-esteem or a sense of purpose or hope etc. so in those good open endings, the character has regained that crucial element and so whether or not, there is a coupling or just friends or whatever, it does not matter because you know the characters will be okay. one of my favourite open endings is a bolin chen movie called "waiting in the dark"

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@Lmangla I agree with that. I am okay with dramas that have an open ending if the drama centers on a person's personal growth. Like you said, even though the ending isn't written, you know that it will turn out okay.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@mouse007 ~ am even okay with some sad endings rather than false happy endings. so I am reading that angel drama and I think a sad ending would have suited it better. instead you had this weird happy ending where people are scratching their heads. in some cases, a sad ending feels more authentic.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It just occurred to me that in school romances, the male lead is always a genius in physics, chemistry or computers. The 2nd male lead is usually studying medicine or law. :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so I am reading that angel drama and I think a sad ending would have suited it better

Yeah I agree.  It made no sense for the angel to become human?  Actually theologically that drama made no sense (probably why I chose not to watch it but just read recaps/spoilers) but hey it’s artistic licence so I will let it slide.  :lol:

530?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yeah I agree.  It made no sense for the angel to become human?  Actually theologically that drama made no sense (probably why I chose not to watch it but just read recaps/spoilers) but hey it’s artistic licence so I will let it slide.  :lol:

530?

true. it is why I didn't bother to check it out either. it looked like it was randomly inspired but with no actual understanding of any theology or tradition. so in a way, it was expected that it would end up being a hot mess. :sweatingbullets:

2 hours ago, triplem said:

@nrllee @Lmangla Fantasy k dramas never make sense . I have been burned over & over ..:mrgreen:...they start off too ambitious, don’t draw up the rules of the universe beforehand , then with live shooting & wanting to please the viewers they just plunk in a happy ending

yea, fantasy kdramas seem to have a tough time with coherent logic whereas the cdramas don't seem to have that much of a problem? is it because they know that the censors will tear it to shreds and so they better draw up the rules of the universe beforehand in order to get permission to air?

the only fantasy kdrama I managed to watch and enjoy was queen inhyun's man. not sure if it can be called fantasy but it had this time element thrown in but I loved everything about how it was done.

even though I don't enjoy fantasy, an author I admire is Tolkien and it is because of how much work he put in creating the rules of the universe. he even spent time creating different languages with distinct rules and grammar. has anyone here read the lord of the rings books? it can be tough to get through but it really feels like a piece of literature with the poems and other stuff thrown in. so yea, fantasy genre does require more work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

even though I don't enjoy fantasy, an author I admire is Tolkien and it is because of how much work he put in creating the rules of the universe. he even spent time creating different languages with distinct rules and grammar. has anyone here read the lord of the rings books? it can be tough to get through but it really feels like a piece of literature with the poems and other stuff thrown in. so yea, fantasy genre does require more work.

You speak my language (Elvish) :wub:.  I loved Jackson’s portrayal of the books.  It was a universe that made sense.  Actually in DS60, the main lead character reminds me of Frodo. He’s a Hobbit, tasked with the Ring of Power, totally out of his depth as President, swimming in the world of wizards, elves and orcs (politicians)...yet he and Samwise were the ones that proved their mettle in the end. That good hearted Shire folk may be the very ones to enact big change because they are the ones most able to wield power well (although yes Frodo did get influenced too in the end...).  I am waiting to see how the writer pens the character in DS60.  Does he get corrupted or does he stay true to his convictions?  :o

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I loved Jackson’s portrayal of the books.  It was a universe that made sense.

what he did well was dumb down the books enough for anyone to easily watch the movie and get it. at the same time, really created this world where you know it is different and can get swept away.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

what he did well was dumb down the books enough for anyone to easily watch the movie and get it. at the same time, really created this world where you know it is different and can get swept away.

Yeah. Spoken like a true Tolkien fan.  There was just too much in the books to squash into the 3 movies. I didn’t like the addition of elves at Helms Deep... :huh: but I guess he wanted to add it for dramatic effect...poor Haldir :tears:

• Like 3