Favourite K-Dramas based on Web - Novels, Webtoons & Manhwa

confusedheart

Favourite K-Dramas based on Web - Novels, Webtoons & Manhwa (Vote for them NOW!)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are your favourite K-Dramas based on webtoon / manhwa / web-novels? (Group 1 - 2004 to 2019) Choose as many as you want.

• Full House (2004)
    • Princess Hours/ Goong (2006)
    • Flower Boy Next Door (2013)
    • Misaeng: Incomplete Life (2014)
    • Orange Marmalade (2015)
    • The Girl Who Sees Scents (2015)
    • The Scholar Who Walks the Night (2015)
    • Love in the Moonlight (2016)
    • Cheese In The Trap (2016)
    • The Bride of Habaek / Bride of the Water God (2017)
    • Clean With Passion For Now (2018)
    • My ID Is Gangnam Beauty (2018)
    • The Sound Of Your Heart (2018)
    • What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? (2018)
    • Your House Helper (2018)
    • Extraordinary You (2019)
    • Love Alarm (2019)
    • Hell Is Other People / Strangers From Hell (2019)
    • Her Private Life (2019)
    • None of the above / Anything else. (Please comment)
  2. 2. Which of the following are your favourite K-Dramas based on webtoon / manhwa / web-novels? (Group 2 - 2019 to 2021) Choose as many as you want.

• The Tale of Nokdu (2019)
    • Item (2019)
    • Backstreet Rookie (2020)
    • Dinner Mate (2020)
    • In Your Dream (2020)
    • Itaewon Class (2020)
    • Kingdom (2020)
    • Love Revolution (2020)
    • Memorist (2020)
    • Mystic Pop-Up Bar (2020)
    • Rugal (2020)
    • Sweet Home (2020)
    • The Uncanny Counter (2020)
    • True Beauty (2020)
    • At A Distance, Spring Is Green (2021)
    • D.P. (2021)
    • Dr. Brain (2021)
    • Hellbound (2021)
    • Imitation (2021)
  3. 3. Which of the following are your favourite K-Dramas based on webtoon / manhwa / web-novels? (Group 3 - 2021 to May 2022) Choose as many as you want.

• My Roommate Is A Gumiho (2021)
    • Navillera (2021)
    • Nevertheless (2021)
    • Not Yet Thirty (2021)
    • Shadow Beauty (2021)
    • She Would Never Know (2021)
    • So I Married the Anti-fan (2021)
    • Taxi Driver (2021)
    • The King’s Affection (2021)
    • The Sweet Blood (2021)
    • Work Later, Drink Now (2021)
    • Yumi's Cells (2021)
    • Again My Life (2022)
    • All of Us Are Dead (2022)
    • Business Proposal (2022)
    • Semantic Error (2022)
    • Superior Day (2022)
    • The Sound Of Magic (2022)
    • Tomorrow (2022)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/11/2022 at 02:30 PM

On 6/6/2022 at 5:26 PM, confusedheart said:

I have not read the manhwa but I watched the drama. Two handsome men fighting over a beautiful woman, yeah count me in. Though I admit I started watching it only for CEW. He is so perfect, so handsome. But, chingu, the FL annoyed the heck out of me. Sadly, I dropped it after a few episodes because they tried to make her look 'ugly', gave her unflattering glasses and viola ! she is now 'ugly'. So that really bothered me. Let me know how you liked the adaptation

The manhwa of True Beauty has great illustration. I admit though that I kinda dropped it, at the part of the story wherein she and one of the guys are in a rel for some time already, but the guy haven't seen her true looks yet beneath the makeup.

I simply don't get it much either the "excessive" preoccupation of the FL (manhwa) to look perfect with the aid of makeup. Like come on, the problem was the skin, then see a dermatologist first to get it fixed, rather than mucking up with so much concealers! SK is famous for skin care after all, LOL!

On 6/7/2022 at 5:59 PM, confusedheart said:

The Long Ballad. I am really interested in knowing how true the C-adaptations are, and how are they received by the viewers. I am yet to watch any, unfortunately. 

I've seen Long Ballad, and the actress playing Li Changge also has a mole under the right eye same as the manhua FL character. :) What's nice with the drama is that there are some scenes that were animated. Great OST too.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

@confusedheart

You asked Who do you want to replace her in Taxi Driver drama? 

Don't have any particular name in mind, but since you ask for this, I won't mind to see my favourite actress (who can really act in drama) to match with Lee Je-Hoon, just for fun.....:D

1. Han So-hee
  2. Kim So Yeon
  3. Seo Ye ji
  4. Lee Se-young
  5. Kim Ji-won

If all these 5 actresses not appear in the next season (which very likely), I hope the writer can choose a good one :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I am late to party again, but not so late for the event to have ended! :piggydance:

Voted for several dramas (not that many though), and for me, the top 5 would be (in any order): 

• Business Proposal - This was a great watch for me. I didn't really go for it when it was airing since I wasn't so sure about this drama. But then I saw some clips of this drama on IG, and then @LeftCoastOppa Chingu recommended it to me. I went for it, and enjoyed it. 

• D.P. - The way this drama depicts the bullying happening in the Mandatory military services, and how each episode was about a different, I enjoyed it. It was a pretty straightforward drama, the leads were good, and while it was draining to watch it (because of the whole bullying scene), I liked this drama. 

• Taxi Driver - Not the kind of concept I usually like, but the execution was good in my opinion. There were some really good twists. 

• Dinner Mate - Started this with no expectations, just went for it since I thought it was interesting, and loved the drama. It was light, there were some crazy characters (2nd ML), but the chemistry between the leads was good, and so was the plot. 

• Kingdom - This would be among the best Zombie dramas/movies I have ever watched. The plot was intense, almost the characters were always vulnerable and anytime, anyone of them could be infected. The Zombie genre in Sageuks is always interesting, since you got no guns to fight them (we did have a gunman in this, but dude was using a musket, and not a machine gun). They used swords, which means they had to get very near to the zombies. Hyun Bin did a movie called "Rampant" which had a very similar setting, and I enjoyed watching it. I do hope we get a 3rd season for this drama, a proper 3rd season and no more spin offs.

There are some which I liked, but hoped for it to end in a better way, or maybe written better, and they are:

• Tomorrow - I had serious issues with the writing. It would have been a lot better if LSH's character was more involved in the plot.

• Memorist - It was very promising, I actually enjoying watching it a lot, but somehow it felt like going off-track in between.

• Again My Life - Everything was great about this drama. We had a very smart ML, but honestly, I was disappointed with the ending. It almost felt like the last 2 episodes were written by someone else. This is actually among the few dramas which I hoped would have more episodes so that they would bring in a better closure.

• The King's Affection - Though I enjoyed this drama a lot, but somehow in my opinion, the romance took a lot of screen time. This drama would have been a lot better if it would be shorter, maybe 16 episodes. They did end it well, although I hoped for a different ending. 

Then there are dramas which were very disappointing for me: 

• Rugal - This started off as a very interesting drama, but then the writing was so bad, it ruined the whole concept. 

• All of us are Dead - Again, very interesting concept. I love the zombie genre, and this seemed to be very different as compared to your regular zombie dramas/movies, at least on paper. But the characters were stupid, I know they were students, but a lot of stuff was them being stupid. 

• Hellbound - I know what this drama was trying to do, but I honestly felt like wasting my 6 hours on this drama. They seem to be planning a second season for this, and I will not really watch it. 
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Voted for several dramas (not that many though), and for me, the top 5 would be (in any order): 

you escaped my notice and didn't watch.... *drumroll*

:D

truly a magical experience. I really loved the webtoon annarasumanara (if you have time, read it) and the netflix adaption was unique and beautiful. Especially loved that they used songs to convey the characters' feelings and experiences, as well as past.

So many dramas based on webtoons etc, I wasn't aware.

• Full House - I don't think that this drama aged well, but I certainly have nostalgic feelings towards it. SHK is such a fashion trendsetter. After the drama, everyone wore their hair in a side ponytail.
  • Misaeng - I did like how ML came into his role. 
  • Cheese In the Trap - dropped :D because i didn't get into it...
  • My ID is Gangnam Beauty - dropped, mainly I didn't like FL. 
  • WWWSK - only saw a few episodes as my friends watched it and there was a group watch.
  • Extraordinary You - I forgot to vote for this one, but this is one of my faves due to it's unique concept. 
  • Love Alarm - watched S1, dropped S2. I think they could have done it better, and I lasted this long due to KSH. 
  • Backstreet Rookie - slice of life humour, but some questionable scenes
  • Kingdom - nice production and it's JJH
  • Rugal - dropped :D
  • True Beauty - that car scene. enough said. 
  • At a Distance, Spring is Green - dropped. 
  • D.P. - really liked the chemistry between the leads and the stories, looking forward to S2!
  • Imitation - dropped, but I did like it.,
  • My Roommate Is A Gumiho  - super funny moments, definitely recommendable. forgot to vote for this one :D
  • Navillera dropped
  • Nevertheless dropped
  • She Would Never Know dropped due to wiping away the lipstick scene
  • So I Married the Anti-fan dropped due to annoying FL being outrageous
  • All of Us Are Dead  DID NOT DROP UNFORTUNATELY. GIVE ME BACK MY HOURS!!!
  • The Sound Of Magic : the BEST obviously :D

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

22 minutes ago, agenth said:

you escaped my notice and didn't watch.... *drumroll*

Oh I loved it actually. :eats:

But I don't think it will be in my top 5. Definitely in my top 10. :rubchin:

I loved the concept, and I was happy NF did this drama, because I do think it wouldn't have done well on other networks like SBS, KBS, TvN (as they would bring in forced PPLs and make necessary changes in the script to bring in more ratings) etc., given it was different from your typical dramas. 

So yeah, it was a great watch for me, and I did love some songs (although I FFed the ones I didn't really like) :piggydance:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Full House is definitely my favourite on the list and one of my favourite dramas of all time. It's such a classic! :)

Did anyone else watch 'My Roommate is a Gumiho'?

I tried watching it back when it was released but I ended up dropping it. 

Spoiler

I dropped it at the part where Lee Dam pretends she doesn't know Woo-yeo because I hate those kinds of plots.

I kind of want to watch it again because the beginning was promising. Do you think I should give it another chance?

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

My first and favorite drama based on manga is Boys over flowers, I missed that from the list ... 

spacer.png

Great cast, interesting, good story with fun and sad parts, I think one of the best Kdramas ever , I discovered it in 2014 and watched the 25 episodes in 2 days (even skipped a night sleep ;-) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

16 hours ago, agenth said:

The Sound Of Magic : the BEST obviously :D

:lol:

16 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I loved the concept, and I was happy NF did this drama, because I do think it wouldn't have done well on other networks like SBS, KBS, TvN (as they would bring in forced PPLs and make necessary changes in the script to bring in more ratings) etc., given it was different from your typical dramas. 

I didn't even think about it, but you're right! Can you imagine TSoM with forced PPLs? That would have been a bit jarring, especially if the PPLs were in the magician's place.

Thanks for this event @confusedheart chingu; I agree with many others and didn't realize so many dramas had been based on webtoons and manhwa.

Loved "Love in the Moonlight" for the leads and the funny moments they managed to put in.

And of course "Dr Brain" was a slick, dark vehicle for my favorite Lee Sun Kyun, and I watched it even though I usually stay away from that genre. But LSK made it better :).

You know what would be fun? For K-ent to do a remake of the Archie comics!

th?id=OIP.hgwQ_izlxCzKelQOcli16gHaEK%26p

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, IliK said:

My first and favorite drama based on manga is Boys over flowers, I missed that from the list ... 

Chingu, we only included web-toons, manhwa and web-novels. I mentioned in the post that we will do manga based K-dramas for another event. We could not include many dramas based on web-toons, web-novels and manhwa so I thought it would be prudent not to include manga at all for this event and do a separate event for dramas based on manga. Look forward to that event and you'll surely find BoF right on top with other very popular dramas. :kiss_wink:

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

And of course "Dr Brain" was a slick, dark vehicle for my favorite Lee Sun Kyun, and I watched it even though I usually stay away from that genre. But LSK made it better :).

Of course! I knew it would be your choice as I was compiling the list as I knew @agenth will choose The Sound of Magic. You two are incorrigible fans. :lol: Come rain or shine, you two will always choose your oppas. :biubiu:

• LOL 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

15 hours ago, confusedheart said:

Chingu, we only included web-toons, manhwa and web-novels. I mentioned in the post that we will do manga based K-dramas for another event. We could not include many dramas based on web-toons, web-novels and manhwa so I thought it would be prudent not to include manga at all for this event and do a separate event for dramas based on manga. Look forward to that event and you'll surely find BoF right on top with other very popular dramas. :kiss_wink:

Of course! I knew it would be your choice as I was compiling the list as I knew @agenth will choose The Sound of Magic. You two are incorrigible fans. :lol: Come rain or shine, you two will always choose your oppas. :biubiu:

Oh, sorry, I'm an old fossil and don't know the differences. Thanks for your kind answere and understanding :-)

• Love 2
  • Blob 1

Thank you peeps for voting and commenting.  :heartxoxo:

some cute BTS gifs to cheer you up

@llik @rocher22 @the_sweetroad @wenee @nohamahamoud2002 @lebeaucouple @MayanEcho @leo2020 @willenette @Cool Ahjussi @gm4queen @CarolynH @jongski @SC2019 and everyone else!

Results:

Group 1

Princess Hours/ Goong (2006) got the highest votes (22)

궁 허그 포옹 GIF - Princess Hours K Drama - Discover & Share GIFs

The next most popular drama was What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? (2018)  with 20 votes 

Full House (2004) ~16 votes. 

Must say that old is truly gold because in spite of so many years that have gone by, Princess Hours/ Goong and Full House continue to win hearts. :wub:

Group 2 we had a very close competition. 

Itaewon Class (2020) got 17 votes 

ArtStation - Itaewon Class

Kingdom (2020) came second with 15 votes. 

True Beauty (2020)received 13 votes.

However, I must mention that many chingus voted for None of the Above. Anything else and it received a whooping 14 votes. But, I am not able to include the drama that they preferred over these choices because there is no clarity in it. 

Group 3

Business Proposal (2022) got the highest votes (16 votes). 

Business Proposal: Eps 7 & 8 Open Thread – Bitches Over Dramas

Next we have  Again My Life (2022)  and Tomorrow  (2022) with 12 votes 

And finally, we have The Sound Of Magic (2022) with 9 votes. 

Again, we have a lot of members choosing None of the Above/ Anything else.  We got around 13 such votes. Chingus, please mention the drama of your choice, you do not agree with the choice mentioned in the poll. 

Thank you once again for participating. Look forward to another exciting event in the coming week. 

Do get in touch with the EO team if you have an idea for an event . 

re: Your friendly, neighbourhood EO Team 

@confusedheart @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @partyon

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

On 6/7/2022 at 1:30 AM, rocher22 said:

LSH as Deukbong

Oppa! :love:

On 6/7/2022 at 5:45 AM, CarolynH said:

Yumi's cells ( I loved the cells).  

Ooh, me too! Which was your favorite cell?

On 6/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, rocher22 said:

LSH was simply perfect as Joong Gil in Tomorrow   

Oppa! :love:

On 6/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I used to like "Feel Good to Die", but after the scandal of the ML, I can't watch it anymore.

I hated that drama. :unamused: I wish I had dropped it. :unamused:

The FL was supposed to end up with the 2nd ML - as per the webtoon. But noooo.... The drama writers decided to pair her up with the unsuitable tsundere ML who magically changed for the FL.

Like that EVER happens IRL.

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

• Love 2