[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

10 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I think as a plot point she's important, but as a character we are supposed to care about, I think by ep 17 it's too late. I think the reason people want there to be something important about her is because of Jung So Min. There was that leak way back when about her possibly not being signed on for season 2 (whereas Original Naksu's actress IS signed on) that made people think Naksu would go back to her original body. (Which was burned on screen. But hey, sometimes dramas defy logic...) The fact is, JSM personally as an actress has created some really excellent chemistry with the rest of the cast. So even though it's Naksu's soul that Jang Uk knows and is in love with (he doesn't know Buyeon at ALL)--people want to keep JSM's lovely chemistry in there, to the point that they are willing to ask Buyeon to step up and be important. (I don't think this can work, though--she has had no personality on screen for 16 episodes, and Uk doesn't even know her.) I really, REALLY hope the writers and director know what they are doing here. Asking the audience to believe in a completely different actress as Naksu *while at the height of the love arc* is asking a lot (probably too much). Asking the audience to believe in the same actress but suddenly with an entirely different character who doesn't even know Jang Uk *at the height of the love arc* is likewise asking too much. Dramas do not always satisfy at the end, it's true. I just hope they find a way to make it emotionally believable.

Wow thank you for this. Now I can better comprehend this weird feeling I have about the change in FL for S1/S2.

10 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Yes, this would be my preference, too. If they mess around with the ice stone to the point that it eliminates Buyeon's soul inside that body, it would free Naksu's powers and leave her with Mudeok's body--thus allowing JSM to continue to play that character. 

Care to elaborate more chingu? I've always thought the only way JSM could return in S2 is for JBY character to survive.

13 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

I am really worried about Jung So Min possibly not being in part two. This only works for me if they throw the whole Jang Uk/Naksu romance plot away and put them with other people. I think if they try to make the relationship work with a new actress, they better be 100% sure that the chemistry matches or is better. If not, they are just setting up the actress and couple to fail.

At this point, objectively speaking, I don't imagine much issue for LJW to pull off the romance chemistry with GYJ since they're closer in age. As with any news, once the the hype dies down, no one is going to remember this. In fact initially when PD rope in JSM after the first change in FL, I did wonder if the real life age gap between JSM/LJW's gonna dim the romance chemistry a little (nothing to do with the actor/actress, just a general thought on any actress/actor pairing with significant age gap). I saw some comment that they rather JSM not take up the drama for this same reason (not to mention I guess the awkwardness of replacing a younger actress).

Also I gather from a lot of comments that viewer base is almost equally divided on whether they like the chemistry or not. Even if people don't generally agree on the same thing, usually you will find more supporters if not mainstream consensus liking the chemistry of the OTP of the particular romance drama (since they watch the romance drama in the first place). So AoS kinda finds itself in a awkward position in this sense. I'm really not sure what the drama is trying to do but the less savory byproduct of it is the inadvertent introduction of a kind of complicated love triangle between Uk/Naksu/Mudeok and by association, the actresses themselves. Generally people fall under a more middle ground type of response but I shudder to see some of the more extreme response that escalates into something like a fandom war.

Personally, I am a UkieDeoki shipper but admittedly I am quite disappointed with the drama direction on their romantic chemistry after the earlier episodes. So I cajoled myself into thinking that drama is deliberately downplaying the romance between LJW/JSM to pave way for GYJ reprising Naksu's character in S2. But obviously I'm wrong with that second kiss scene there. Or is this case of trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing no one in the end? 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, kwayteow_mama said:
12 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Yes, this would be my preference, too. If they mess around with the ice stone to the point that it eliminates Buyeon's soul inside that body, it would free Naksu's powers and leave her with Mudeok's body--thus allowing JSM to continue to play that character. 

Care to elaborate more chingu? I've always thought the only way JSM could return in S2 is for JBY character to survive.

@youactlikeicaresaid that one possibility would be for Buyeon to somehow dissolve the ice stone. Buyeon died in the womb and the ice stone brought her back to life. So you could look at it as if it's the only thing keeping her soul around. If she decided to sacrifice herself and disappear from her not-quite-natural life, then she would leave Naksu as the only soul in that body. Also if she disappeared, then her hold over Naksu's powers would be lifted, giving Naksu back all her earlier strength. Since I don't even know Buyeon (and her aliveness is a bit questionable/odd), then it would be fine with me if that happened. (Not trying to be cold-blooded, she seemed a very nice person when young. Just thinking solely about how to solve the plot issues at this point.) 

On screen, I feel no awkwardness between JSM and LJW, and they seem the same age to me as well. Off screen, I notice no one is playing up their off screen chemistry (they are not in love with each other, nor is it required for costars to be in love or date--this is a peeve of mine, sorry! With excellent actors, it's possible to enjoy a lovely romance story and ship characters, even if the real life actors go home to other lives at the end of the day.) I do think there was chemistry on fire at the beginning, and in the last few episodes it's waned due to director decisions. They are capable of much more than standing covid-length apart and growling, "I love you." I have no idea why they made that decision. (I really hope it's NOT because they are changing actresses, but this is Kdrama, who knows.) In the end, though, whether you love them together or are wholly unconvinced, it is too late at this point for the viewers to change them out. It would be like starting a completely different story from the beginning, and the poor succeeding actress will always be compared to JSM. So I really hope they do NOT do that, both for the sake of the viewers as well as the actresses. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

@youactlikeicaresaid that one possibility would be for Buyeon to somehow dissolve the ice stone. Buyeon died in the womb and the ice stone brought her back to life. So you could look at it as if it's the only thing keeping her soul around. If she decided to sacrifice herself and disappear from her not-quite-natural life, then she would leave Naksu as the only soul in that body. Also if she disappeared, then her hold over Naksu's powers would be lifted, giving Naksu back all her earlier strength. Since I don't even know Buyeon (and her aliveness is a bit questionable/odd), then it would be fine with me if that happened. (Not trying to be cold-blooded, she seemed a very nice person when young. Just thinking solely about how to solve the plot issues at this point.) 

Ah okay I get you now. I was confused on the bit where you said something about allowing JSM to continue to play that character. 

6 hours ago, frozentundra said:

I do think there was chemistry on fire at the beginning, and in the last few episodes it's waned due to director decisions. They are capable of much more than standing covid-length apart and growling, "I love you." 

"Standing covid-length apart and growling I love you" - How apt! LOL

• Like 4

14 hours ago, frozentundra said:

They are capable of much more than standing covid-length apart and growling, "I love you." I have no idea why they made that decision.

Oh man! I have been thinking the same thing! Even their confessing love or discussing anything is from such a distance.

And wait, they haven't confessed to each other!

I mean what either of them said was to Mr Park and not to each other... I for one don't think that Uk believes that MD/Naksu loves him or at least not in the conventional way. He did say, why didn't you just say that you are mildly attracted to me as no one will believe that you love me!

I also think that the director is keeping romance and action for season 2! Right now they can make sparks but if they do, viewers won't be comfortable with UK being comfortable with Naksu in Naksu's body. And Uk is a one woman man and even though he loves the soul and not the body... in the visual medium the transition can be jarring!

I wish from the beginning they had kept two heroines for the main roles so people won't know when who is dominating/thinking. Also, as of now since I know Uk remains Uk in season two so I know he won't die >yuhooo<.

As MD won't be there, a cameo or two scenes don't count, so she has too be eliminated :D

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

On 8/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:
On 8/18/2022 at 4:24 AM, maribella said:

I remember very clearly as if it was yesterday that you condemned poor Miss M for orchestrating the death of a man who cheated her mentally challenged mother and brother of their wealth etc. etc. 'Good people doing bad things are still wrong', you said.

Oh my goodness, I believe a pretty face gets away with murder with  some people.  No other explanation.

Oh there are a few other explanations ... you comparing apples to oranges comes to mind, although truth be told its more like apples to hubcaps ...:rolleyes:

Lets review ...

@maribella @LeftCoastOppa ~ wow, you two have such long memories. I have totally forgotten most of that drama, let alone all our discussion. :lol:

just vague memories of disco oppa and hoping against hope that he would get the girl so we don't have to sit through seeing mr. constipation. 

• LOL 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Joo Sang Wook Makes A Shocking Appearance Before Lee Jae Wook In “Alchemy Of Souls”

“Alchemy of Souls” is back from its hiatus, and it gave an exciting sneak peek of this weekend’s episodes!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

Previously, Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) secretly visited Gaema Village in order to find evidence that the queen (Kang Kyung Hun) was a soul shifter. Jang Wook noticed a shadow following him and didn’t hesitate to point his sword at him while asking, “Who are you to chase me?” Viewers were shocked to notice that the man was none other than his father Jang Gang (Joo Sang Wook).

The newly released stills preview the reunion of Jang Wook and Jang Gang. Jang Wook doesn’t recognize his him and tilts his head in curiosity. Despite his shaggy beard and shabby appearance, Jang Gang exudes extraordinary energy. His gaze is fixed on his son, and he can’t look away from him. Viewers will be able to find out why Jang Gang suddenly appeared in front of Jang Wook.

Joo-Sang-Wook-800x533.jpg

Joo-Sang-Wook-Lee-Jae-Wook-800x533.jpg

Spoiler

Lee-Jae-Wook-1-2-800x533.jpg

The production team teased, “Jang Gang, the starting point that made Daeho fall into chaos, will come back. Please wait and see how his return will shake the dynamics surrounding Daeho and the Ice Stone.”

Episode 17 of “Alchemy of Souls” will air on August 20 at 9:10 p.m. KST.

Joo Sang Wook Makes A Shocking Appearance Before Lee Jae Wook In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@maribella @LeftCoastOppa ~ wow, you two have such long memories. I have totally forgotten most of that drama, let alone all our discussion. :lol:

just vague memories of disco oppa and hoping against hope that he would get the girl so we don't have to sit through seeing mr. constipation. 

I remember things well when it comes to bullying, persecuting and psychologically torturing helpless women, children, handicapped. @LeftCoastOppa doesn't think he deserves death. I do. But then he thinks an assasin is not a criminal :surprisedwut:

I haven't seen Universal oppa before or after the show. He seems a bit old to be starting.

9 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

extraordinary energy. His gaze is fixed on his son, and he can’t look away from him. Viewers will be able to find ou

Ok it's 'his' son? The King had nothing to do with it. JG was so good he swapped souls but locked parts of his hardware so the King could not use them. How is that? 
Dog Head Turn GIF

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Jang Gang, the starting point that made Daeho fall into chaos, will come back. Please wait and see how his return will shake the dynamics surrounding Daeho and the Ice Stone.

Lol, what an appropriate way to summarize the series. Jang gang was indeed, the root of all chaos that is happening in the series. If park jin was really as black and white and stickler for the rules as he claimed he was, then the first person he should fight is not naksu, not even jin mu, but jang gang lol.

When i think back to the first episode, jang gang's logic is really the only one I could not follow. He's strong, and as the gwanju, he should be smart enough to deny the king's request to shift soul (into his body!). I mean, look at master lee being all awesome and he's not even holding any position of power.

He has a lot of homework, to fix things in Daeho. I hope the first thing he'd do once he come back is to clear his late wife's name, and apologize to everyone, including his son.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maribella said:

Ok it's 'his' son? The King had nothing to do with it. JG was so good he swapped souls but locked parts of his hardware so the King could not use them. How is that? 

Oh i know eh, we need to know.

14 minutes ago, SleepyKitty said:

Lol, what an appropriate way to summarize the series. Jang gang was indeed, the root of all chaos that is happening in the series. If park jin was really as black and white and stickler for the rules as he claimed he was, then the first person he should fight is not naksu, not even jin mu, but jang gang lol.

When i think back to the first episode, jang gang's logic is really the only one I could not follow. He's strong, and as the gwanju, he should be smart enough to deny the king's request to shift soul (into his body!). I mean, look at master lee being all awesome and he's not even holding any position of power.

He has a lot of homework, to fix things in Daeho. I hope the first thing he'd do once he come back is to clear his late wife's name, and apologize to everyone, including his son.

I so agree 100%.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maribella said:

I remember things well when it comes to bullying, persecuting and psychologically torturing helpless women, children, handicapped. @LeftCoastOppa doesn't think he deserves death. I do. But then he thinks an assasin is not a criminal

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ... (insert exasperated sigh here)

Spoiler

No he didn't deserve to die - lose his wealth and property yes, go to jail and lose his freedom yes.  Your "hero" Miss M was bullying and psychologically torturing the daughter when she murdered him in front of her.  Or is this "bullying, persecuting and psychologically torturing helpless women, children, handicapped" standard only applied to men, or when you think its justified revenge? 

Naksu was raised as an assassin based on a lie - she was a CHILD not an adult as was your dear Miss M - now that she is aware of that lie, and what the truth is do you honestly think she will, as an ADULT, choose to continue her career as an assassin? 

Yeah sure...

Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

1 hour ago, ferily said:

ENG SUB of the pre-released scene for episode 17

As long as they have teased this love, whatever it is that finally breaks down her wall better be fricken EPIC :wub:

Gotta give it to Jang Uk, he switched from goofing to sincere heart mode without skipping a beat - Mans got skills :glasses:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Lee Jae Wook Makes Jung So Min Shy With His Open Affection In “Alchemy Of Souls”

After a one-week hiatus, the Wookie-Deokie couple is finally back!

Penned by the famous screenwriting duo known as the Hong Sisters, tvN’s “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama set in the fictional nation of Daeho, a country that does not exist in history or on maps. The drama tells the story of characters whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls.

Spoilers

Previously on “Alchemy of Souls,” the romance between Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) and Mu Deok (Jung So Min) finally blossomed in earnest as the two characters confessed their feelings for one another through Park Jin (Yoo Joon Sang).

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Jang Wook and Mu Deok share a romantic moment as they go on an ordinary date that is certain to make viewers’ hearts flutter. Jang Wook is unable to hide his fondness for Mu Deok as he gazes lovingly at her, and his obvious affection makes the typically aloof Mu Deok shy and unsure how to act.

When Jang Wook reaches out to pat her on the head, an embarrassed Mu Deok seems to shrink back as she stares uncertainly into his eyes.

Lee-Jae-Wook-1-3-800x533.jpg

Jung-So-Min-1-800x533.jpg

Spoiler

Jung-So-Min-Lee-Jae-Wook-2-1-800x533.jpg

To find out what lies in store for the couple, catch the next episode of “Alchemy of Souls” on August 20 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

Lee Jae Wook Makes Jung So Min Shy With His Open Affection In “Alchemy Of Souls” | Soompi

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ... (insert exasperated sigh here

Spoiler

I didn't make it up. Naksu is described as an assasin from the begining of the show. Now who I am to argue with the blurb from the station? :smile: The daughter is an accessory to murder, not a helpless female. She is the tall antagonist's hench woman.

Besides if one wants to believe that Miss M is evil, Naksu is still an assasin. Assasin, assasin... assasin .. 

From the first page.

"mischievousness on the inside.

Jung So Min will star as Mu Deok Yi, who secretly harbors the soul of the great assassin Nak Soo. However, thi

"

From freedictionary:

"Murder committed by a perpetrator without the personal provocation of the victim, who is usually a government official.

First used in medieval times to describe the murders of "

This is such fun. OED and other dictionaries don't agree with you @LeftCoastOppa 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I wonder if this scene was before or after the kiss...  :D

before!

My guess is: Uk is returning from the village and MD from the Jin household. She decides to wait for him and the date happens.

Kiss will be in the middle of high drama.

I am excited!

• Like 2

This week and next week episodes are the final episodes of our Female Lead Jung So Min as Mudeok/ Nasku, i'm sad, i love her performance and acting

So just see episode raw, i thinl these writers want to pair Yul and Sol-i as couple:confused::surprisedwut:

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1