[Drama 2021] The Devil Judge ⚖️ 악마판사

Maetawinz

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Just my opinion, but the fact it took all of 2 seconds before Ga On started playing good cop to Soo Hyun's bad cop makes me think it was the plan. For him to take Ga On without getting anyone's permission or even inform anyone simply to have her meet Soo Hyun so that she can have a female friend seems...naive.

If it really was their plan, then the approval of the guardian is one thing, but in that scenerio Kim Ga-On consciously convinced a traumatized child (young adult actually, but still young) to go out after gaining her fragile trust and after the fearful confession about her uncle, to travel outside of the safe environment (well, safe in the manner that she knows it and routes to escape or hide) to the unknown place to meet a stranger, when she has no means to defend herself, then actually let the questioning by said stranger happened (trying to lessen it's impact wasn't close to enough, truly). 

Ok, I'd prefer to think they didn't sync or just that he's naive. The alternative is horrible. 

But Kim Ga-On isn't the bad guy here, right? Just faking the act of being an idiot and waiting to strike? Right? It's OCN's domain to create that kind of characters and plot, not tvN, right? 

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, noor1 said:

Just as all of you at the forum, I also did not like the way Go An and that detective took Elijah out and spoke to her. It was such a breach of Yo Han's space and security, frankly, that these 2 entitled strangers think they can just grab a minor and pry against Yo Han!

Gaon had no right to take a child out of the house without the guardian’s permission or knowledge. One does not have to have a law degree or be a judge to know that. It is common sense. Out of decency, respect, responsibility and safety, Gaon should have known the right thing to do. He is an overstaying, shameless guest who is taking advantage of the graciousness of his host. If he had any conscience or shame at all he should move out of the house and resign from his post as a co-trial judge of Yo Han. In the first 4 episodes, he made gaffs and mistakes as he did not know Yo Han and I thought that was a plot device used to explore the character of Yo Han. Now, the plot should move on to tell the story of Gaon. However, the more the character of Gaon is explored, the more unlikable he becomes. I don't know about SK but what he did could be construed as an abduction and cause an amber alert. 

On 7/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, noor1 said:

The SC judge looks suspicious but I think he's an honest by-the-book person, he even threatened Go An to mend his ways or they'll go commit suicide together at his parents grave, so he may even turn out to be a relative / father-figure/ guardian. Someone has to rebuild the judiciary after Yo Han's judicial activism / media trials end with breakdown of trust in all existing institutions, and it will be him.

I agree. . It is shown during the questioning of Yo Han by the judges that Judge Min is a member of the Supreme Court justices whose members are all older men with strict conservative views and leanings. He thinks of Yo Han as a politician and not a jurist and why he disapproves of Yo Han and says that Yo Han is the poster boy for the politicians and supported by them therefore Yo Han is not a jurist but a politician. It is a difference in beliefs like conservative vs liberal. I agree that after the chaos that the public trials created and shown, that a rebuild in the justice system is needed and it will be Judge Min to do it. 

• Like 6
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, noor1 said:

- The SC judge looks suspicious but I think he's an honest by-the-book person, he even threatened Go An to mend his ways or they'll go commit suicide together at his parents grave, so he may even turn out to be a relative / father-figure/ guardian. Someone has to rebuild the judiciary after Yo Han's judicial activism / media trials end with breakdown of trust in all existing institutions, and it will be him.  

I'll just say it was pretty suspicious how the two of them witnessed kids play-flogging right after they had their talk about Ga On staying at Yohan's house when the Chief Justice probably sensed he was losing Ga On.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, noor1 said:

-@lebeaucouple'Seeds' have been put in Jin Joo's mind, she is starting to be agitated with being second lead / not in boys club / recognized, even though she works harder than guys, well, the co-associate judge Go An! It will be interesting if she double-crosses Yo Han or stays a loyal, honest judge. 

Yes, agreed. most of the times, I have seen her reviewing the court documents that pile up on her tables  and looking at her PC or draw content on the whiteboard during discussion, but I have seen Kim Ga-On most of the time, busy with phone and tapping on someone resources. Nothing busy at his desk but most of the time talking on the phone....I understand the main character role is on the male side. I can only say that the imbalance of fair treatment of men and women in the workplace is once again vividly shown in this TV series, sadly to say. What's more, she is from the countryside, and she needs to work harder if she wants to be promoted to the rank of deputy judge, or higher.

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, lila21 said:

Gaon had no right to take a child out of the house without the guardian’s permission or knowledge. One does not have to have a law degree or be a judge to know that. It is common sense. Out of decency, respect, responsibility and safety, Gaon should have known the right thing to do.

Yeah, actually that's what I meant too, Yo Han and Elijah are one entity, a separate household, and Yo Han has created a certain environment for himself and her, and Elijah is HIS family, he will decide who she meets, these 2 entitled strangers cannot just come up, swoop Elijah off to a cafe without him or his knowledge (and he would've never allowed Go An to take her anywhere), but it was wrong of Elijah too to go there without informing Yo Han. Yo Han is family, complicated / dysfunctional, whatever, but trusting a Go An (who looks like her dad, cooks and comforts her, and she is obviously on her first crush) and then 'meeting' his friend, was wrong too. 

And it was wrong of the detective and Go An to try to get information out of a minor by playing 'friends'!

Everyone except Yo Han was wrong in that situation. I would've filed charges and restraining order against both the 'judge' and the 'detective'!     

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, Di_Ya said:

He might go into prison for his misuse of a court institution and the whole juristic system, or actually for being involved in something else to happen later. 

But it's nice picture. Add Oh Jin-Joo at his side (shipper here, hi!) and I've got nothing to add. 

At the beginning of the series, I thought Yo Han would either die or end up in prison. But being in prison would overturn all his convictions - in fact even judgements of his pre-TV trials will be reviewed and convictions overturned and fresh trials would have to start in all of those cases (including the chemical CEO's), and who knows how many guilty people will be set free, so I think his ending will be like that of batman in The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises - i.e. he may bring down the bad guys and his cult following by showing himself to be not so righteous, doing the right thing in wrong way (dark knight), and be 'presumed dead,' and then be revealed by Ga On or his mentor as not such a bad person / judge to restore public's faith in him after his 'death' (dark knight rises). He'll go off to live a quiet life in some open wood/ mountain area, running animal shelter, with only internet connection to keep talking to Elijah, though how will he find a place where no one recognizes him, I don't know!  

Yo Han has no identity of his own, he is someone's illegitimate son, someone's brother whose death he is avenging, some heiress' uncle, some peacock judge who likes to strut on TV, some judge the president is fond of, some guy with violent fantasies. He is defined by his relationship with others and his past. He is perceived through other people's perceptions of him and his 'status'. He's either a victim, a savior, a murderer, an opportunist. None of it is of his own making. Nobody knows him, even he himself, I don't know whether he even likes the law field or not, because it was his brother who started giving him books on crime and punishment. He has to go find himself in peace, and be at peace, at a place where he's not judged or ridiculed or people do not have preconceived notions about him. And he most definitely will have an animal rescue shelter or fall for someone running it. 

Jin Joo is a simple straight-forward woman who has a long illustrious career ahead of her, right now I cannot imagine her with the dark gloomy lovelorn lost vengeful crazy fake-charm Yo Han! (btw, she is his only fan who is not a cultish weirdo). 'Plus, I think he's gay (though I don't think this drama will be overt about it). 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

oh wow, just finished reading all 15 pages and i gotta say i'm quite impressed with the theory and analysis. definitely adding the enjoyment for me while rewatching the episodes.

One thing that bothers me, whats with the constant hate towards kim gaon hahaha. I mean the reaction is so different with the reaction on the korean platform, most of them there liking the kim gaon character because he seems easy to read but actually the hardest to comprehend. on the exterior he might seem like the boring uptight rookie judge, but we all know he's much more than that. 

i'm sorry for my bad english, i'm korean so english is not my main language

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 2

44 minutes ago, iria said:

I mean the reaction is so different with the reaction on the korean platform, most of them there liking the kim gaon character because he seems easy to read but actually the hardest to comprehend.

It makes so much sense. 

The main target is obviously Korean audience, and if they don't see anything wrong with Kim Ga-On behavior, then producer aren't obliged to change it, which means...

We're doomed :cries:

• LOL 3

21 minutes ago, Di_Ya said:

It makes so much sense. 

The main target is obviously Korean audience, and if they don't see anything wrong with Kim Ga-On behavior, then producer aren't obliged to change it, which means...

We're doomed :cries:

i think the general public opinion wont affect the flow of the drama. As far as i know, this is the pre-produced drama, which means the filming for all episodes has been done. 

One of the main discussion in korean forum, the director actually mentioned that kim gaon is the toughest and most complex character to play, up to the point that they have a difficulty of finding the right actor to play as gaon. Therefore i think Kim Gaon is not as 2 dimensional as we think (naïve, lack of sense etc etc). who knows that maybe he is the main antagonist in this drama right (lol this is a reach tho).

i mean people really underestimate him, which i think is what the director wish for. like in the first and second episode, he might appear as a fool for putting the spying device on the most obvious place, and people praise yohan for noticing the spying device. but what if all of these is intentional? what if Gaon intentionally wanted to be caught so he can be in yohan's radar? what if all his naivety and foolishness is just a façade? 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

6 minutes ago, iria said:

i think the general public opinion wont affect the flow of the drama. As far as i know, this is the pre-produced drama, which means the filming for all episodes has been done. 

Oh, that's good. Thank you for clarifying. 

8 minutes ago, iria said:

who knows that maybe he is the main antagonist in this drama right (lol this is a reach tho).

Please, don't feed my theory hungry brain, its already feasting here like never before. But in all seriousness, after that little comment from yesterday, that idea actually stuck. It explains more than half of his actions, and might be a turning point in the upcoming episodes. Also, that would be huge plot twist.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@iria Yes I remember that the director mentioned something like that :) I personally like Ga On so far, as well, and I am sad about all the hate he is getting too! I can definitely see the whole he seems upright and righteous but has a path, and we kinda got a sight of that in Episode 5 with seeing some scenes from his past. He isn't all what he seems and definitely has a past, with his parents death and how he was during his school days. It seems like Ga On definitely was more of a troublemaker after his parents died and his teacher is the one that brought him back from that. I really like the direction we are going with his character and how we will learn more about his parent's death next episode :blush: I also can't wait until we see Ga On and Yo Han work together~

PS..Where do you go to see K-netizens thoughts and reaction about the drama? I do occasionally read the comments on the short clips on Naver, but is there a forum you go to as well?

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

I was re-watching Ep. 6 and something stuck out: For that extremely seamless glitch-free live TV performance by Yo Han and the whistleblower, the TV producer (cue director) must have been given the material in advance or told in advance what to put on air on the large screens when Yo Han and the whistleblower are talking - because the screen behind Yo Han shows the following - in exactly this row:

cue: chemical CEO confession

cue: whistleblower's dismissal letter

cue: public vote

cue: dream house project video

cue: all the board members, their names and titles (which include the president, justice minister and the channel owner!!!!!)

Either the producer is in on Yo Han's side, or Yo Han's sidekick can hack live TV too, or Yo Han has a button he presses to control what's on screen behind him. Or did Elijah (who is studying computer engineering) help in arranging this too? 

Basically for that live tv to go flawlessly Yo Han's way, everything on screen had to be timed to perfection to appear at the right moment, and no one outside Yo Han's circle would know what he was about to do / say / disclose. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

On 7/20/2021 at 3:35 AM, Sleepy Owl said:

Oh Chingu, its great that you mentioned it since I forgot that point. Most of the detective we have seen so far work in team of 2, so she must be having a partner but still prefers to go the "Lone Wolf" way only to knocked out like that. I had said I see a death flag over her head, and I still see it. She is too reckless, and does not really think during the investigation. 

Yo Han and Elijah do depend on each other and care of each other too. Yes, Elijah is suspicious of him, but deep down I feel she knows that Yo Han wouldn't do it. I liked the scene where she was worried about him not being at home during night time. 

Ga-on and the female cop have been close friends since childhood and they think alike that's why they are in the same boat, not using their brains to think before taking any actions.

The only close of kin to Elijah is Yo-Han, which makes her a little worry about her uncle being not home

in the late nite. Elijah is as smart as Yo-Han when the female cop question her about the folder she found in  Yo-Han laptop and I hope she should start to have a little suspicious about Ga-on who is still leeching around in their home when he has fully recovered.

And I just cast my vote.

:partyblob:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ok, honest question: how many of you started suspecting Kim Ga-On of being double agent or a bad guy? 

(I did. And I'm curious about you.)

Also, doesn't Elijah's action look a bit of a petulant child? I mean her uncle disappeared for a night without notice and came back like nothing happened (in her eyes). Could it be that she went with Kim Ga-On to spite Kang Yo-Han? Just a way to stick out her tongue at her uncle... It didn't work how she expected but it could be a fun addition to they relationship. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Ga On has been a double agent from the start, reporting to Supreme Court Justice Min Jung Ho. I actually think he was placed next to Yo-Han on purpose, even though it is Yo-Han who made the final decision to pick him. They're not really hiding it. :) For me the bigger question is if Ga On will start making up his mind about Yo Han on purpose, and not just based on what MJH is feeding him in terms of suspicion. I think Ga On probably also accepted to work with YH because of some link with his parents' death?

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

EVENT: Celebrity Sightings

Have you met your favorite oppa? What was he like? Was he taller than you expected? :love:

Or do you want to meet him? What would the meeting be like?

Or did you meet a local celebrity? A sports figure maybe?

Share your stories with chingus on the Celebrity Sightings thread.

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart326 @Sleepy Owl @agenth @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 2

5 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

Ga On has been a double agent from the start, reporting to Supreme Court Justice Min Jung Ho.

You're right. I phrased it wrongly. What I mean was that Kim Ga-On can actually be a person whose a villain and only playing a reckless guy, because he's a part of Min Jung-Ho's plan, and the man is an ultimate evil. Hope that makes more sense. 

Also a bit of crazy theory (it's weird, impossible and absurd, but I like to share it - put it under spoiler for those who wants to read.) Is that misuse of the spoiler tag?

Spoiler

Kim Ga-On is Isaac. 

He'd survived, and fell under wings of the ultimate baddie. He also lost memory. Now they, after creating a false identity, want to defeat Kang Yo-Han using him against him. Maybe he has some important evidence and they want to get it back. And maybe the Dream Project was something that Kang Yo-Han and Isaac's father was part of? Also, maybe the memory of his teenage years were true, because they belonged to Isaac - he could be a bit of a rebel. And So Hyun is a part of it, because she started to be pushy when Kim Ga-On started to be on Kang Yo-Han side? And could simply fake the part of the memory to fit the version they told Kim Ga-On?

EDIT:

Also, let assume that Kim Ga-On reveal at some point that he's a spy and go to his mentor, who is baddie. He met with Jung Sun-A, who didn't know before. Then the two baddie would want to frame Kang Yo-Han or use the cross in any other way. It the moment that Kim Ga-On could have a better look on it and kind of having sort of flashback. 

Plotting imaginative events it oddly satisfying. 

I'm getting better at the absurdity of those theories :wow1:

Edited by Di_Ya
  • Blob 3

From my POV, Ga-On being a new babe who just graduated are being used and manipulated by his Professor.

After all, Supreme Court Justice Min Jung Ho is his teacher and to Ga-On, he is always right.

Ga-On has yet to use his thinking cap to justify himself what is right and wrong instead of just hearsay.

Hope, Yo-Ha will bring light and open up naive Ga-On in the coming episodes.

• Like 3
  • Blob 3