[Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림

0ly40

I read the webtoon sometime back and was excited for this! Episode 1 was alot better than i thought.  it is slightly different from the webtoon but those memorable moments are all nicely included . Don't bother reading the webtoon in case anyone is curious, it went downhill midway. Let's hope the drama corrects it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jillia said:

Cameos in the first episode. :D 

Lee Tae Ri

SF9's Chani as Yoon Se Yeon

Barely 6 minutes in and Lee Tae Ri comes in hot & extra!!  I rewatched his scenes to savor them - he is so good!   Looking forward to more Chani.  

Spoiler

swaying & biting his lips to the groove of metal.  SUPERB!

Premier did not disappoint me!   Episode one hit the ground with all kinds of comedy; deadpan, slapstick, outrageous, irreverent, cheesy .....  I personally needed that because darn, Jugyeong's been hearing it since she was in a baby carriage & the bullying was unbelievably harsh!  I adore that instead of  to wallowing in self-pity, she finds practical ways to cope (Hi AnnHeart, I SEE your comment, I just don't know how to multi-quote yet).  This is my first Moon Ga Young drama & I am really impressed.  

Lim Jugyeon's family - omg --- I LOVE that chaotic and irreverent household, especially long-suffering mother 

Spoiler

I couldn't possibly die and leave my kids alone -----lets die together :sweatingbullets: I got a kick out of that one.  

So he's cold and rude in the webtoon but I wasn't expecting Suho to be

Spoiler

overtly agro.  Like slapping away confession cookies and pelting his coat at LJG.  :blink:

Edited by Fifi Lynt
  • Like 2

Oh it's that handsome guy from 'My ID....' ! He is perfection personified! I can't concentrate on anything when he comes on screen. Such perfection!!!!:flushed:

But isn't he getting type cast? Although TBH, this is my second drama with him in it. And I have a feeling, I'd end up making comparisons, the subject matter being somewhat similar.

Thoroughly enjoyed Ep1. I was in a dump after Dodosolsol...

I liked how the FL decided on her own to not end her life. You go girl, we girls don't need a knight in shining armour to save us.

Olive Young! I am obsessed with K-Beauty and one day I would like to visit the country and splurge all my hard earned money on all those K-beauty products, not that I am not splurging on them now. :lol:

Also, I really was happy to see that they showed the FL with her imperfections. I mean we all have bad skin days. I am glad they didn't portray her as someone who had flawless perfect skin underneath that make, and just needed to get rid of her glasses to make her a beauty.  #real

Just curious, is bullying a major issue in schools in S. Korea? I think my first drama was 'Boys over Flowers' and it was a theme there too.

Anyway, it will be fun watching the FL lead juggle her two looks. It will certainly lead to lots of comic  situations and of course romantic ones! We had a few already with Mr. Perfect and I am not complaining. Keep falling on each other, I mean falling for each other.

• Like 4

I've been looking forward for the premier ever since this drama was announced! I read a few chapters of the webtoon a long time ago and I love the casting!! It's really similar to the webtoon version so I love it!

First episode was quite good so far. Sigh, I hated how Jugyeong was bullied for being ugly. No one deserves that tbh. I was kinda hoping to see her bullies reaction to her transformation but I guess it won't happen since she got transferred to another school. 

Indeed, the power of makeup! But of course, I still believe that everyone should deserve to be happy with or without makeup. Can't wait to catch the second ep! :D 

• Like 3

The entire first half it made me sad she had literally no friends. That one girl who just kept saying "i dont know" was obviously not a friend, just a fellow bullied person trying to duck and become invisible. I feel if they had been true friends then the main girl would not have felt it necessary to go upstairs and have such dark thoughts. 

Her features are still quite pretty, even with the acne and eyebrows that I had a hard time thinking she was "ugly", but since they didn't really show off much other people, it could be believed that she was the one that kept being picked on for lack of other people that were considered "deficient". 

Other random thought:

It's funny that the cafeteria guy from Extraordinary You once again plays a cafeteria guy here. 

• Like 4

I'm surprised by how much I like CEW in this drama esp not being a fan of his previous works. He has improved a little but I think the stoic "tsundere" role actually WORKS in this whereas he just seemed wooden in My ID is Gangnam Beauty. In this he has a more of a reason to be the way he is? Like more of a backstory and he's kinda quirky too. And MGY was the perfect choice for the FL. 

I'm enjoying TB so far it's cheesy and over the top but in a entertaining fun way

• Like 3

3 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I think he knows some how that is the girl he saved.

I agree, I think he suspects but needs confirmation of some sort.???  Did you watch episode 2 yet? 

Spoiler

The ending was a clue for me.

12 hours ago, agenth said:

The entire first half it made me sad she had literally no friends. That one girl who just kept saying "i dont know" was obviously not a friend, just a fellow bullied person trying to duck and become invisible. I feel if they had been true friends then the main girl would not have felt it necessary to go upstairs and have such dark thoughts.

If they had each other things would probably have been different indeed.   You have two bullied girls.  One just trying to survive below radar & Jugyeong who, I say this with affection, doesn't seem to know how to read the situation or has an incredible ability to shake her lifelong insults off and do what brings her joy.  I don't blame the other girl for keeping low- that's what I'd do.   I'm glad of the comparison because Jugyeong's "just do it" energy is  a major charming point - cringey as it, I wouldn't have it any other way.  My heart was fit to burst when she made some friends at the new school.

13 hours ago, agenth said:

Other random thought:

It's funny that the cafeteria guy from Extraordinary You once again plays a cafeteria guy here. 

I didn't catch that until you mentioned it.  That is funny.  Lee Tae Ri's cameo was fantastic!

16 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

Oh it's that handsome guy from 'My ID....' ! He is perfection personified! I can't concentrate on anything when he comes on screen. Such perfection!!!!:flushed:

But isn't he getting type cast? Although TBH, this is my second drama with him in it. And I have a feeling, I'd end up making comparisons, the subject matter being somewhat similar.

Response:  He does have impeccable features huh?  :) His character in Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung was very different.  He also had a small role in Hit the Top where he plays a cocky character. 

SuHo is undoubtedly a lot like Kyung Seok in Gangnam Beauty but I would say that Jugyeong, while having the same problem as Mi Rae, is dealing with her crisis in a different way.  

16 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

I liked how the FL decided on her own to not end her life. You go girl, we girls don't need a knight in shining armour to save us. 

RESPONSE:  I thought her 180 from depression to resolve was powerful!  She just took a deep breath and then boom, she's over it. Very admirable.

Edited by Jillia
Please reply outside the quote, thanks! :)
  • Like 1

I am enjoying the drama a lot. But can we please cut down on the 'falls'? It is no longer romantic or cute when you do it once too often. That's my only feedback atm. Also, the FL's reactions are too exaggerated at times, I mean I know it is probably to cause a comic effect. But it becomes repetitive after a while. She overreacts every time she is with the either of the leads.

Hopefully, thing will get better. Just the first week.

Also, can the ML not look so perfect every time he is on screen?:wub: That's a tall order, I know. He can't help but look perfect.

I think the old school bullies will come back into her new life some way or the other. Kind of confrontation is needed to close that chapter in her life.

@agenth I agree with you on the FL being gorgeous in spite of the make up artists trying their best to make her look like a girl next door with redness and acne.

@Fifi Lynt Thanks for the suggestions. I have nothing else to watch except TP and Shopping King Louis atm. I'll check them out, especially Hit the Top. I don't think I can resist the lure of seeing a cocky CEW. (I can totally empathize with those high-schoolers who would squeal and faint on catching a sight of him!) Oh perfection! My eyes!:flushed:

• Like 4

love this drama, eps 1 and 2 already hooked me. I love the main lead, especially the girl character she is so sweet, kind, and funny, while the guy also handsome to the max.

can't wait too see next eps. I didn't read the webtoon so I'm so curious how the story developed, but I enjoy watching this, the students at the new school are very funny, love her short haired friend, I think she is cool and a genuine person. 

• Like 3

I liked this drama. I barely watched Eun Woo on My Id Gangnam, but I found his acting better in this drama. I think he has improved himself. Both Male lead are chosen good. The second male lead looks like Lee Joongi. But he is same age as me, I was shocked. Because he looks like 18 years old. I even thought he was younger than Cha Eun Woo. The series was beautiful. I am glad that the Female lead found her own solution after being bullied. Lee Su ho's character being suffered from the passing of his loved ones in his past and I liked the fact that the Female lead comforted him. In the last scene, again, Cha Eunwoo saved the lead girl in the same way. I'm waiting curiously for the other episodes. Although the plot of the series is simple, it was very fluid and fun.

Edited by Selin Eroğlu
  • Like 4

Ahahah looks like I'm not the only one who thinks In Yeop/Seo Joon is a Lee Jun Ki lookalike.:glasses: @Selin Eroğlu And yea I was shocked when I found out he's 30. I was like WHAT LoL.

Not a fan of Eun Woo, I am having serious second male lead vibes yo! Seo Joon's quite the babe. Idk I just have a thing for bad boys.:kiss_wink: Plus he seem to have more.. personality I guess?

Why I feel there's a better loveline between Ju Gyung and Soo Jin LMFAo!!?? She's a total girl crush as Soo Ah says. I like how sweet Soo Ah and Soo Jin were toward Ju Gyung. I just hope they'd like her without makeup as well. 

This is yet another K-Drama where the bullying is toxic ugh. I find the kids who taunt and mock Ju Gyung to be uglier. That's because they have sucky attitudes & well just suck as human beings overall. That scene where Ju Gyung came with a helmet was hilarious!         

• Like 2

I am 30 and Watching this Drama consisting of some 18 year old characters, and wondering Which ManChild to Swoon On ...Omo.

I have a Lot of Incoherent Thoughts.

Ok First of All the show maintained its LOL phases to a T.It rarely has a Downer Moment.

IJG is funny, Her struggle for acceptance and survival is real.I was an Overweight Girl in College for 2 years and Lost weight and was tagged as the Pretty Senior and I KNOW how the BEAUTY perception changes Once Acceptance Mindset.I dont blame her for Self doubting who the Real she is, who the People are Seeing the Real HER AS.Unless she learns to accept herself and be confident it will not be that easy.A BANANA ripe does taste better with tinted skin but consumer always prefers the Clear Ones.

Keeping that aside, Girl needs to Join Yoga Classes her lack of Balance is the Third Wheel for both the Leads.Every single one of them Outshadowed its predecessors.

Her sister and Her relationship seems real.Especially the part where 18 old kid seems to cry about her Tragic Life to a 28 year old.I say the same thing to my sister , 18 years and You have a tragic life? she rebutts about my old age stating that it is a tragic Life lmao.

Now Onto Team Suho v/s Team Seojoon, Can I have them Both?? Anyone from India or those who have watched Shahrukh Khan's Movies , there was Literally a scene where IJGs friend was narrating the Boys one looked liked DDLJs SRK with water Pouring from Head and the Other from Mohabbetein.I mean wow.

The entries while meeting both the guys, I dont know Whom to choose.I have not read the Webtoon And so I dont know.The Simmering Hot Tsuendre Manchild or Bad boy Idol Biker Manchild.My Teen Heart is jumping up and down Lol.

:bashful:

I know CEW from his Child actor series and the guy playing SJ looks lowkey like Young LJG. The show got some Heirs vibes with the way Seojoon speaks to his gangster friends.Baby LMH vs Baby LJG Omo Omk... The difficult choices.

We had a GOBLIN Moment in a Show With sprinking of Nostalgic Heirs, I swear if I again hear LOVE IS THE MOOOOMENT imma gonna hit someone right off the bat.THE show is Hillariously done right.My stomach and Jaw are still hurting from all the Laughs.:loolz:

Waiting for next episodes , the show gave me much needed Laugh missing from a Lot of shows these days.

Special Mention-Seojoon BGM, It sets a Groove on.

• Like 5

True Beauty Ep 1 & 2 Review:

Themes: I really loved how they addressed the topics of bullying, suicide, pretty priviledge, hate comments about celebrities because these are very real issues in Korea. I was actually pleasently surprised that when I went into Naver Talk after the episode there were actually knetz in the chat room talking about their bullying experiences. That is what I am most excited about when it comes to True Beauty is the conversations it can start.

Suho & Seojun: No this isn't about teams. :joy: It's about their broken friendship. There is a story behind that and i can't wait to see how knetz react because what happened is a very real issue in Korea. In the wentoon they werent this bad but the way that is amplified here I can't help but think their storyline will be a main one, which I am very excited about. Also, really loving the chemistry between Eunwoo and Inyeop. The scene where Seojun came back and saw Suho again and they just stared at each other, you could really feel the tension. Great casting.

The Jujitsu Scene: Honestly, that was the best acting I have seen from Eunwoo. The scene where he was fighting his father and he was having flashbacks. Just how natural his expressions were, the emotion in his eyes, the fact he was doing 100% of his stunts at the same time. Also the conversations before and after the micro expressions and how expressive his eyes were while talking to his father....everything was on point. I think that one scene showed how he can be a good actor in the future.

Those are just my food for thought from the first two episodes. Can't wait until next week.

Edited by silverdream
  • Like 8

For a guy who doesn't want attention at school, the main lead broke from his ice cold exterior pattern to help our main girl, which leads me to think that he knew all the time that the "angel junior" was the "ugly pimpled faced girl". Why else would he help her, when he even stepped over her instead of helping her? His personality seems to me to think that he's been burned by fake friends and people because of his status/riches, that he now tries to avoid everyone. He doesn't seem to have a single friend, and even worse, has a strained relationship with his father. 

Of course there's the story about the two guys whose tension is palpable. There's not much there yet to this story, but one can tell it's a love triangle.

The clumsy part is over-the-top, but I know that's how the character is supposed to be. 

• Like 4

Hubby :: Hey hon, you said LSH is the smartest kid in his class right?
Me :: Yup.

Hubby :: You're sure?
Me :: Yes. Wae?
Hubby :: Huh. 
He signed the underworld oath with her name clearly there, yet he didn't catch it that she was the same new girl in his class? 

Me :: Wait what? (*Hubby showed me the paused screen (EP2 minute 33:23) to show it's Lim Ju Kyung on paper*) Huh, it is LJK. Wow, I can't believe you actually notice that.

Hubby :: I can't believe you didn't. You watched it like what, 5 times?

Me :: 4 and I'm not ashamed of it :P And since when you can read hangul?

Hubby :: We stayed at home too long, babe. Too freaking-long. Haish....

Okay, so did LSH really missed that one out? Or did he actually know but decided to play along with LJK? 

• LOL 1

@Jillia

IKR LoL. It's like she doesn't look that much different..?! Kind of like Lois Lane wasn't able to tell apart Clark Kent from Superman!:tounge_wink: I mean it's just the glasses. :joy: 

The clumsiness starts to annoy me by ep. 02 tbh. Even Su Ho remarks, You keep landing in my arms everytime we meet

@agenth

For me I was confused like I thought he disliked Ju Gyung so why did he save her in that scene? Was it because he has a heart and wanted to be nice LoL? But yea his dad's a P.O.S. I'm curious to know what Seo Joon's story is. Like they mentioned he took leave over family matters something about his mom? 

Su Ho reminds me of Yoo Joong of Cheese in the Trap. I don't get the comparison with Seo Joon and Young Do from The Heirs. 'Cause Young Do was really mean to the fl. 

@AnneHeart

See? This is why one must know a language yo LoL. Good on ya hubbs though:piggydance:Also shows that those who provide subs are doing an awful job. I mean they don't translate stuff like texts messages (some) or letters etc. Like a passage from a book ya get the idea. I understand it's not easy providing subs, still it's the least they should do. 

• Like 1