[Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림

0ly40

Originally I had no plans to watch this, I thought it looked boring and I normally don't like high school dramas, but my ugly self felt empathy reading about the FL so I decided to give it a try! I think if I was watching it all at once, I'd get bored, but it's a fun watch two episodes a week. I love the FL, her hobbies are refreshing and unique for k-drama land, and I relate to her awkwardness. I know there’s no point rooting for the second lead, but to me Seo-jun has much more charisma and presence than Suho. (I know the whole point is that Suho's personality is reserved, but sometimes I feel like I’m just watching an attractive statue! Plus I'm over the whole "cold mean boy who's unkind to people BUT WAIT he has a sad backstory!" trope.) Also, Seo-jun has much better chemistry with Ju-gyeong. Already bracing myself for second lead syndrome! 

42 minutes ago, softestfairy said:

But Jugyeong and Suho having a childhood connection has my rolling my eyes to the sky. 

Yeah, I really dislike that cliche. 9/10 times it's just so cheesy and unnecessary.

• Like 3

@softestfairy

IKR? 

Well then again what's a K-Drama without the cliched childhood connection right LoL? Though isn't it weird Su Ho didn't make the connection sooner? I mean according to the guy who runs the comic rental place Su Ho's been there for past decade.. did Ju Gyung and him not recognise each other or Idk LoL.

@kehrite

Mte. Also I want to add In Yeop is just a better actor (sorry Astro/Cha Eun Woo fangirls!) He just has more personality as well (Seo Joon) 

LoL at "attractive statue" LMFAo! So true. I got chewed out by Eun Woo's fans over that geez.:unamused:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Yeah, I am going to continue to watch this as i like it very much.  Even though it gave me MIIGB vibes,  when i continued to watch, it kinda looks different now.   I started watching this for CEW but now i am in for the second ML HIY.  I like him more with IJK.  SH stalking IJK to the movie theater is so out of his character and i dont like their way of love flow.  Usual troupe of childhood connection,  feel so old.   I feel Seo Jun and IMK 's day to day interactions are very natural.  But i dont know how he will react when he see the original face of IJK.  Hope he dont disappoint us viewers.  

Hehe "attractive statue" nice term.  :joy:.  But i think CEW has improved a lot from MIIGB days as his character DKS is reserved and stiff there.  Here too its the same, but added some variations in LSH.  Lets see how the drama proceed in the coming weeks.  

OMG!!! The family members and feuds of IJK is so funny and just enjoy each and every one of them.  Cute!!!!

Any idea about the ratings in SK????? is it doing well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@softestfairy

IKR? 

Well then again what's a K-Drama without the cliched childhood connection right LoL? Though isn't it weird Su Ho didn't make the connection sooner? I mean according to the guy who runs the comic rental place Su Ho's been there for past decade.. did Ju Gyung and him not recognise each other or Idk LoL.

@kehrite

Mte. Also I want to add In Yeop is just a better actor (sorry Astro/Cha Eun Woo fangirls!) He just has more personality as well (Seo Joon) 

LoL at "attractive statue" LMFAo! So true. I got chewed out by Eun Woo's fans over that geez.:unamused:

In Yeop is indeed a better actor. LOL. And has such a great personality that seems to come through his Seo Joon character. Still obsessing over CEW and his Lee Soo Ho, though. Hehe.

Btw, is it just me or is Im Joo Kyung's family just too dismissive of what she feels and of how she sees herself? My heart just broke for her the whole time. I felt like there just isn't enough of a support system for her at home. I wonder how the story would resolve/address that situation. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 5:09 AM, madmad min said:

Unnie Always STATES the Truth....She side hugged Both the Boys and DECLARED HAVE I GONE TO HEAVEN , how come there are 2 Cute Boys standing Beside Me...OMo...TRUTH TRUTH.

so true what jukyung unnie said, I laughed so hard, they are like angel right. 

this drama has perfect casts. at first I think suho/ eunwoo is too perfect, many said that he is beyond "very handsome", when I see it seems like suho like jukyung's when she's ugly I immediately like him and rooting him with jukyung (he is cold with pretty girls but with average/ugly jukyung he's nicer). 

but after I see more seojun's scene with jukyung I'm starting to like seojun with jukyung too. moon ga yeong has good chemistry with both of them. and I love to see how both of them are fighting over for jukyung (for now though cause it looks funny but some of viewers may find it annoying..)

I read a bit of the webtoon, some stories are different (like how suho knows jukyung=jubal, sujin) seojun in webtoon is very hot( think seojun in webtoon's face looks like zico but looks like in yeop too especially the hair). in webtoon story, two guy will be friend again and both guy fall very hard and they love jukyung so much that makes it hard to choose though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rainydays said:

this drama has perfect casts. at first I think suho/ eunwoo is too perfect, many said that he is beyond "very handsome", when I see it seems like suho like jukyung's when she's ugly I immediately like him and rooting him with jukyung (he is cold with pretty girls but with average/ugly jukyung he's nicer). 

but after I see more seojun's scene with jukyung I'm starting to like seojun with jukyung too. moon ga yeong has good chemistry with both of them

I think it was somehow made a very Noticeable Plot Point. Suho was intrested in Im Ju Bal the teen girl with Pimples, not Im Ju Gyeong the Teen Goddess. But Looking at how Seojoon is adapted, he is not someone to fall for a Diva either, he is more onto People's REAL Self than Selfie Self , besides he like how stupid and funny IJG acts and now how airheaded people are around her. Her classmates may differ but neither of Guys fell for her Beauty but her as a person.

IJG on the other hand I feel is a bit over cautious around Suho, where all he does is INTENSE gaze eyes around her. This is in character for them both I agree, but for me I feel IJG is at ease with Seojoon rather than Suho because she considers Suho as her savior whereas she considers Herself as Seojoon's saviour thus having an upper hand! Now when a girl with her insecurity level manages to get a level up , she will feel a bit at ease and not RUN away every time. Seojoon and IJG gel better due to that.

The only way to make her feel at ease with Suho is to MAKE him talk. He is too reserved and IJG won't get the hints unless explicitly stated. Seojoon blurts the things as is. That makes it easier for them.

On acting part , No doubt MGY is best (her voice pitch is annoying though) , HIY is good while he does all snarky gestures (which reminds me too much of KWB somehow), his emotional portions needs brush Up. CEW is always angry, But his subtle Shocked expressions are places are spot On. CEW needs the most work to do but I feel it is his character specifics not him per say. Adonis needs Voice. Else the game and ship is clearly in Biker Male Lead. I for one refuse to call HIY SML because here both are very Prominent!! Unlike other shows.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, madmad min said:

On acting part , No doubt MGY is best (her voice pitch is annoying though) , HIY is good while he does all snarky gestures (which reminds me too much of KWB somehow), his emotional portions needs brush Up. CEW is always angry, But his subtle Shocked expressions are places are spot On. CEW needs the most work to do but I feel it is his character specifics not him per say. Adonis needs Voice. Else the game and ship is clearly in Biker Male Lead. I for one refuse to call HIY SML because here both are very Prominent!! Unlike other shows.

MGY is stunning. Her aesthetics are no joke, but I agree that her voice at times can be grating. Especially the whining part. Naturally, people don't usually have good voices when they whine, but in this drama it's used more often than not as part of her character. 

CEW feels stiff, but maybe due to the character he plays. I haven't seen him in another show. I did like it when the coldness dissipated somewhat as the episode showed more than in previous ones, of his story.

I like the scenes between HIY and MGY a lot, since there's more natural dialogue that isn't entirely whining/over-the-top exaggeration as there is between MGY and CEW. 

• Like 3

@flo_oni

I have more an issue with the way both her mom and younger brother act over her older sis and dad. Especially her mom ugh. I feel like she takes out her resentment toward Ju Gyung. I mean it was her choice to marry her husband for his looks right LoL? So why have regrets now!? You have 3 kids, like Idk make peace with it or something! The younger bro on the other is just acting out like any annoying sibling though still, he should be nicer to his sis.  

I wouldn't worry about Ju Gyung too much though. After all she's got 2 hotties fighting over her, that's enough support already LoL!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@Latte_Anyday Makes sense. You're right. It's really the mom. Could she be any harsher to Joo Kyung? "You're ugly and stupid!" Sheesh. 

Also, if there is one Korean trope I detest, it's the "let's still love our father even though he keeps borrowing money and lands the family in trouble." 

And, yes!!! Those two boys are going to boost her confidence quite a bit. Haha. Can't wait for (but also dread) the time HSJ starts to really like IJK. 

@madmad min I love how the story shows that ISH doesn't see IJK's "flaws". He begins rot like her because of how she's has been "there" for him. 

What I like about IJK is that she is actually never truly a doormat. Yes, she was bullied into doing things for those evil people in her old school, but it IMHO, she was doing that more because she wanted to make friends than because she was scared of them. Also, she speaks out. She expresses herself and is never truly intimidated by anyone and deals with ISH, HSJ, or anyone else, really, fairly equally. 

• Like 1

I am loving this drama so far.. Though, it is hard to choose, but I am more inclined towards Suho. He speaks less & may be intense, but his intention towards JK is pure. Seojun on other hand is too vague. I mean everything started for him when he knew Suho likes the girl. Also, if Suho is show as super intelligent, they are showing Seojun as stupid..

I am loving acting of all. A few are finding cew stiff, but I am actually enjoying his subtle emotions. May be I am not in exaggerating or over acting. I mean when Seojun & Suho were cleaning court, Seojun kept blaming, Suho didn't say a thing, but you see him holding a tear, teary eyes & defeated look. Same when Suho had flashback of Seojun calling him out coz of the friend's death, you could see him crying.

I m more eager to see Suho, Seojun backstory, their friendship thn old, lame love triangle. I hope they explore their friendship.

But applause to all 3 actors.

• Like 1

I wasn't prepared for so much background, progress & foreshadowing in Episodes 3 & 4 but I'm liking loving it.  I love how Jugyeong is actually getting to socialize more because she's seems to be an outgoing personality - she just never had a chance to exercise it before.  She's so likable & empathetic.

I ship Jugyeong+Suho but I also like a good triangle.  Oh this triangle is painful.  On one hand you have Suho who quietly but unconditionally likes Jugyeong.  Like did he seriously up & walk out of a math competition in the name of jealousy?  And he likes her so much that he wants to kiss her lipstick imprint?!  Then you have "My Friend's Son" Seojun (I love that their moms are friends) who isn't romantically aware of Jugyeong, yet, but we know that's gonna happen because it has to with all that superb banter & chemistry between them.  Also, he thinks he's just going after her to annoy Suho but I'm greedily rubbing hands in anticipation of the moment he becomes aware of his attraction :love:.  I know Hwang In Yeop is gonna make that moment spectacular.  He's a good son so we know he'd be a good boyfriend.   No question, both guys didn't treat her properly to begin with but ... they're undeniably redeemable.

I know this is a function of "first-come-first-serve", but Suho likes everything (maybe not her study habits) about Jugyeong now so I guess that is why I prefer him (I'm certain Seojun would be the same tho).  Also, if Jugyeong was my daughter (friend, sister), I'd like a guy who can round her out her street & social smarts.  I'd like someone who will help her win against dolphins (referring to study group conversation :joy:).  

This one is creeping on slowly, but I'm beginning to want a additional ship -- Jugyeong+Jugyeong.  I want her to learn how to love herself as a make-up goddess and no-makeup horror comic enthusiast.

Regarding her family, I mostly like how they add to the comedy.  Mom should be less harsh but keeps on keeping on as the sole breadwinner.  Dad should be more prudent but rounds out mom's sharpness with his gentle parenting.  Sister not so sensitive but certainly a decent female role-model (I mean, career woman + goes after the(nice) guy she wants).  Little brother is mean sure but I don't see that he's so evil that he'll ruin Jugyeong's life, at least I hope that doesn't happen.  Not to overlook the problematic elements of this dynamic but I just observe that their sort of tough-it-out, roll-with-with-punches, go-get-it energy could be where Jugyeong learned to bounce back from (& maintain a sunny disposition) the life-long commentary & bullying of her looks.  It doesn't hurt to have a thicker skin maybe??  I'll give this to mom, coming out with the punishment of tickling toe-nail clips while saying "i love you" is parenting gold.  

• Love 1

Thanks for this forum.

Saw this on DIGGLE

Enjoying this drama easy breezy and filling in the void as I watch some other more serious fare this rotation.

My sis reads the webtoon and I have not read it. But I love MGY and the male actors are not shabby other.

I saw the biker boy in "18 Again" and he was great there. So great seeing him here. CEW has improved alot since "Your ID Is Gangnam Beauty". He is improving but I agree that biker boy is more compelling. But of the trio MGY does shine the brightest as the FL. I agree with others her tone of our voice at time is a bit grating a bit. 

I let reason and thoughts go out of my head.

Her sis is amazing and GIRL CRUSH material. She was a "boss" changing her crush the Home Room/Korean Lit teacher's tires and telling him to treat her to dinner. Her liking him at first glance after seeing him so sweet to the little girl. AWWW.

Biker boy such a good son. Earning his tuition and doting on his mom with no dad in the picture. OOMG only thing he does mom doesn't like is riding a bike? Awwww. Big softie. Not as bad guy as you think.

CEW character i cold and semi nice to IJK at the comic store and is very much rude to everyone else. Then to see the back story IJK younger self consoled a sad  CEW child counterpart. His relationship with dad is strained and due to mutual BFF boy group member who apparently took his life and biker boy blames him.  Awwww.

Crush from girl crush new friend who before MGY's character was the only gal he talked to. Now he even joined the study group and protected her face after having cake thrown at her to clean it in peace. Was not liking how CEW character was taking advantage of FL pain. Go tell him! I am glad he was chastised enough to repent a little.

It is cute seeing CEW character have the candy bar (he doesn't like sweets but took the FL bar when she wanted to wish him good luck on his exams). He had extra bowl of ramen at the book store but FL ran away after giving him a neck pillow before he could ask her to stay. I did FIND It HAWT/HOT when he pulled her hair tie out of her hair when talking the ''make up free" FL face. He is touched by her warm words and sincere gestures.

Biker boy despite himself is finding his eyes go to FL. Knowing his ex BFF liking her he wants to aggravate CEW character. But ME thinks he is starting to enjoy their interactions. I mean her tattling on him and he was like NO I have black mail pic of you! LOL. Then to annoy CEW further gives his bike keys to FL in front of him saying he will listen to her. (He doesn't know the deal that their moms know each other and she is his mom's "spy".) Plus his cold heart melted a little when he let her ride his bike. (He is a big SOFTIE with a tough guy exterior). 

FL bro always the annoying bratty bro but you know he loves her. Though he torments her being fake and not a real beauty. When his classmates asked to want to get her info and date her, he put them in their place. LOL.

Of course there are inconsistencies as pointed out by another, former TOMBOY and non high heel wearer was able to totter on high heels without falling flat on her face for the date? Not realistic. Her having only tshirts and no dating outfits, realistic. Her borrowing her sis outfit and the sis not remembering--what? Does not make sense. But cute they had her sis compliment her on wearing it.

Sis works for Cold guy's dad . Wow small world that biker boy's mom goes to FL as a hair dresser and friendly. 

FL lying to Cold Guy she is not going to school locally but Vancouver OOPs Ottowa Canada. LOL that was hilarious. Cold Guy cannot help smiling when thinking of FL and it has to be prompted by Biker Boy asking him point blank if he likes her or not.

Looking forward to my next installment this week tomorrow. YEAH!

• Like 5

I think seojun in drama more annoying than in webtoon (since he dating with jungkyung while suho ask him to protect her and he also know suho's feeling toward jungkyung). But in drama,  he really such a pain. I like in yeol in 18 again, but I really don't his character in here :angry:

Why he always say the same thing?  He always act like he's the only one that sad and destroyed due to seyong's death :unamused:

• Like 1

here I am again with another currently airing drama stretching my patience to its limits every week. And just when I thought I'd outgrown watching high school dramas -- True Beauty came. Those Diggle compilations will really get to you even if you don't understand the entire thingg. 

So . . . my fave scene so far was when Su ho candidly said "just don't spit the food out of your nose this time" (or something like this) when they were having their rooftop date/ garbage disposal. I just found that too cute since it's an exclusive moment shared by him and Ju Gyeong sans make-up and it's being casually tossed into a normal daily conversation with the all dolled-up Ju Gyeong. Let's have more non-judgmental Su-ho-like beings in this world pleasee.

but OHMY tonight's ep was just -- are we really just in ep5?? I'm not a fan of the webtoon so I don't really know how the story will pan out but I like the pacing. Of course, there's a lot more that's going to happen but what will they be?? A lot of loose ends in the previous 4 eps were coming around already and the show's letting loose new ones tooo AAAAH.

Tonight's highlight for me (and is probably my most fave scene out of the heart-fluttering moments in ep5) was when Ju Gyeong ran with the jacket to the rooftop . I know I can't count on Su ho at that point to enlighten her but your girl got enlightened on her own and went to the most likely place that he'd be. WAY TO GO!!! 

PS. would it benefit me if I read the webtoon as well especially while waiting for the next eps??

• Like 1

I cried today. I swear, I cried. I felt the pain of Suho & Cha Eunwoo did great in portraying him. Give him more huge LJK. The boy needs it. In his dark life, only a bright spark like LJK can fill the void. I hope we see Suho & Seojun being friends again but today, I just want to hug Suho

• Like 2