[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

DS has very low self-esteem and that's his main issue. I feel that he actually respects JP (remember how he cherished his article) and thinks him as superior and knows his advices are legit. But now JP is the love rival and the object is DM who is actually the one who raises him up, he just can't bear the thought of loosing her.

Probably he understands that JP has a big role in their success and that makes him so angry and feeling helpless, especially after this contract fail. 

I didn't like the fight and DS seemed quite inadequate to me but probably they both had to vent their anger and hopefully felt relieved a bit afterwards. It was hard to watch DS asking for help, he obviously thinks JP is the one who can do the things he can't. 

You desperately need confidence, DS, hope gained some during 3yrs.

JiPyeong crying was so heartbreaking :tears: though I was a bit confused- he was crying for himself, not so much for Grandma eyes, I expected more emotion to that aspect.

But anyway, I really hope it's not going to be like JP is courting DM for 3yrs, gets his hope high (he's not a kind of a person to propose out of nowhere) and then gets refused once DS is back... Wish he proposes to a new girlfriend though I know it's a very low chance:(( Happy ending with him like a family member is very unnatural if he proposes. DM and DS will be a match, good on them but what's gonna happen to JP? Should I prepare for a heartbreak? :tears:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Wow... We got ranting session going on. I might as well join. here is my take.

Cast: 27 yr Old confused girl, 27yr old inexperience boy, 34yr old matured man,

30yr old sister, experienced kdrama writer.

1. For maturity, 34 > 27 but for passion 27 > 34. some like maturity, some like passion, some like pretty face and some(me) just follow writer's story.

2. Love ≠ logic. you love who you love. Whether Jane love rock or flower or autonomous car, its up to her.

3. you see dramatization in drama, because it is drama. good drama=realistic back ground + dramatized human character ≈ viewership interest ≈ money money money.

4. Writer(incl production) is king. even if she/he decide to go with 3rd lead, or throw an absurd open ending, there is nothing we can do, except rant.

when watching dramas, most people imagine themselves in FL position (usually female) or one of ML position(usually male). so its hurt (especially for male) when writers choose the other way. Ranting is one way to mitigate the pain.  So, rant if you hurt!

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, utruong18 said:

People can ship and like whoever they want. I’ve had my share of SLS too and was too, irrationally emotional over it. The issue I have is the hate against NDS seems to be escalated x1000000. For example, yes, I also did not like that NDS threw the first punch at HJP. It was definitely immature. But this discussion of professionalism and how he should go to jail and how he’s to volatile seems wayy overboard to me. I do not condone violence! But people who are close (and I feel like NDS and HJP have some type of bond now even if they don’t admit it, look how comfortably they sleep) will argue sometime. Say HJP threw the first punch, would this discussion be had? The most flabbergasted thing I saw on a forum for this was someone mentioning they like a small simple thing NDS did, and the response was, well HJP has done so many more things *proceeds to list all the small little things HJP has done*. But both characters have done many small things and sometimes you don’t notice it if you prefer the other character. That’s ok. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. The whole mystery of it all is that a lot of people view NDS as essentially a villain. Whether it’s cause of HJP rosy glasses or not but the role of a villain is basically to foil the main character so. That’s just my perspective on this whole ship.

pointing out NDS flaws is not hate.  please don't use hate loosely because I haven't read anything that is hateful.   It was merely just stating facts from the drama and giving real world perspective nothing made up or speculated ... i don't understand why some people on DS side are overly sensitive when this is just a drama ... Who views NDS as a villain?  Who has been bashing NDS in this forum?   I'm sorry but I have to speak up, I'm getting tired of people accusing other soompiers of hating DS and misconstruing it as hate.    It's getting stale.  I had been vocal about not being a big fan of NDS character because in real life, even if he has super excellent technical skills, I would not want to deal with attitude problems, hot headedness, unprofessionalism and using emotions to make decisions - which ironically for someone who is technical, he should be more logical than emotional.  Is this bashing?  Is this hate?  LMAO.  At the end of the day, if I were an investor, these are things of concern more so he is the majority stockholder His decisions will drive the future of his company.  

whoever DalMi chooses in the end is the writer's decision.  and we know it will be DS if we are to follow kdrama formula.  and if some soompiers see JP as a better catch, so be it ... to each his own ... i'm just hoping that the drama would give JP a happy ending knowing he will not end up with DM.

18 minutes ago, Afxdy said:

Wow... We got ranting session going on. I might as well join. here is my take.

Cast: 27 yr Old confused girl, 27yr old inexperience boy, 34yr old matured man,

30yr old sister, experienced kdrama writer.

1. For maturity, 34 > 27 but for passion 27 > 34. some like maturity, some like passion, some like pretty face and some(me) just follow writer's story.

2. Love ≠ logic. you love who you love. Whether Jane love rock or flower or autonomous car, its up to her.

3. you see dramatization in drama, because it is drama. good drama=realistic back ground + dramatized human character ≈ viewership interest ≈ money money money.

4. Writer(incl production) is king. even if she/he decide to go with 3rd lead, or throw an absurd open ending, there is nothing we can do, except rant.

when watching dramas, most people imagine themselves in FL position (usually female) or one of ML position(usually male). so its hurt (especially for male) when writers choose the other way. Ranting is one way to mitigate the pain.  So, rant if you hurt!

so how old are DS, CS, YS, DM, JP?  Just curious.  

I'd like to see Jane love a rock or flower ... hahaha ... that would be something new in kdrama.

third lead for the win!  hahaha after 12 episodes into the drama.  bring it on!!!  that will be a game changer.  let the third lead be a rock.  LMAO

that is why people get so emotionally attached, the live vicariously through the FL.  LMAO.  

thanks chingu!  you made me laugh.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, utruong18 said:

People can ship and like whoever they want. I’ve had my share of SLS too and was too, irrationally emotional over it. The issue I have is the hate against NDS seems to be escalated x1000000. For example, yes, I also did not like that NDS threw the first punch at HJP. It was definitely immature. But this discussion of professionalism and how he should go to jail and how he’s too volatile seems wayy overboard to me. I do not condone violence! But people who are close (and I feel like NDS and HJP have some type of bond now even if they don’t admit it, look how comfortably they sleep) will argue sometime. Say HJP threw the first punch, would this discussion be had? The most flabbergasted thing I saw on a forum for this was someone mentioning they like a small simple thing NDS did, and the response was, well HJP has done so many more things *proceeds to list all the small little things HJP has done*. But both characters have done many small things and sometimes you don’t notice it if you prefer the other character. That’s ok. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. 

I will reiterate, Do San in real world would go to jail. I am not sure what part of Battery and assault charges is hard to understand. That's what he has done, Battery. Yes, its a drama so it won't happen. Its not that he should go to jail. But in real world, security in front of sandbox would call police, both guys would be booked. If there's CCTV, then Ji Pyeong, had he chosen could have pressed charges. Its not hateful to point out the obvious. If Ji Pyeong had thrown in the first punch, all of this would apply to him. And yes, he is volatile. Dal Mi is his blind spot and he has responded with aggression twice now whenever he has felt perceived injustice being inflicted on her. He can end up with Dal Mi. But I sure hope, he gets to grow out of this immature phase first and finds a center to ground him that doesn't involve Dal Mi. This 3 years gap could be a good thing to smooth out his edges. And no, I don't want Dal Mi to end up with Ji Pyeong. She doesn't love him. I am praying Ji Pyeong gets over this one sided love affair and finds something or somebody else. I am not a big fan of people pining for people who are not romantically interested in them in an unhealthy manner.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Its really unrealistically shown that they signed that contract.

I will leave aside that it was ugly that they didnt ask their mentor for advice.

Worse is no one from the SamSan team took accountability but instead blamed JP and conveniently used YS's brother's suicide and JP's nitpicking for this acquisition brouhaha ... ahhhh ... okay ... so all of a sudden JP becomes the fall guy ... LMAO

And DS flaring up like a maniac challenging JP to a fist fight to defend DM for that mis-step, is justified LMAO ... tsk, tsk, tsk ... JP was doing his part as their mentor and nobody listened and now he gets a black eye and bruises because JP pointed out the root cause of their problem (which is simply no one read the document) and now it is his fault.  LMAO   It was DS, DM, CS, YS, SH who were at the table negotiating with 2STO ... none of them was at fault.  JP hasn't been kept in the loop and hasn't even read the documents and yes, it is his fault.  No matter where you go, if you have this acquisition, the team or at least one of them must go through it with a fine tooth comb - and if for some reason, no one wants to go through it, it is to the company's interest to have a lawyer review it at least.   This is typical.  Interestingly SaHa used to be a lawyer and did not catch red flags on the deal.  Signing the deal without being thorough is negligence on the part of the SamSan team ... and yes, it's JP's fault - no one from SamSan took accountability ... sweet ... and I repeat, it's JP's fault ... LMAO

In summary, it's JP's fault for being upfront and nitpicking on the team.  LMAO.  Makes perfect logic right?  LMAO.  Someone who wasn't involved in the signing of the deal is at fault, someone who hasn't even seen the document is at fault, someone who was doing his part to mitigate the situation is at fault ... LMAO

Disclaimer - no hate in this comment, these are observations.  And it's JP's fault.

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

29 minutes ago, cmoirae2 said:

pointing out NDS flaws is not hate.  please don't use hate loosely because I haven't read anything that is hateful.   It was merely just stating facts from the drama and giving real world perspective nothing made up or speculated ... i don't understand why some people on DS side are overly sensitive when this is just a drama ... Who views NDS as a villain?  Who has been bashing NDS in this forum?   I'm sorry but I have to speak up, I'm getting tired of people accusing other soompiers of hating DS and misconstruing it as hate.    It's getting stale.  I had been vocal about not being a big fan of NDS character because in real life, even if he has super excellent technical skills, I would not want to deal with attitude problems, hot headedness, unprofessionalism and using emotions to make decisions - which ironically for someone who is technical, he should be more logical than emotional.  Is this bashing?  Is this hate?  LMAO.  At the end of the day, if I were an investor, these are things of concern more so he is the majority stockholder His decisions will drive the future of his company.  

whoever DalMi chooses in the end is the writer's decision.  and we know it will be DS if we are to follow kdrama formula.  and if some soompiers see JP as a better catch, so be it ... to each his own ... i'm just hoping that the drama would give JP a happy ending knowing he will not end up with DM.

so how old are DS, CS, YS, DM, JP?  Just curious.  

I'd like to see Jane love a rock or flower ... hahaha ... that would be something new in kdrama.

third lead for the win!  hahaha after 12 episodes into the drama.  bring it on!!!  that will be a game changer.  let the third lead be a rock.  LMAO

that is why people get so emotionally attached, the live vicariously through the FL.  LMAO.  

thanks chingu!  you made me laugh.

This year DS, CS, YS, DM will be 31 and JP 38.

I've seen FL/ML in Kdrama falls in love with an alien, mystic being, cat, ghost, robot, so rock and flower is not that far off I think.

come to think of it some mountain are made of rock, so it is highly possible our girl ends up with some rock.

• LOL 8

This started out as probably my favorite drama of 2020.. and now I don’t know anymore. I will admit it, I am Team JP... but until the last two episodes, I also liked DS. I did not mind the DM/DS scenes, nor did I mind that DS is perceived as the male lead.

However, the last two episodes, DS’s (and the rest of the SST boys) aggression towards JP is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it’s because I’m not really on board with JP being responsible for the hyungs death? Maybe he could’ve said his criticism a little bit less harsh but I’m sorry, life is not easy and people are not going to treat you with rainbows and butterflies at all times, especially in terms of investing in a business. He was giving criticism (albeit in a harsh way) but I think saying that he is solely responsible for killing the hyung is just a bit of a stretch. And then them not consulting with their MENTOR and getting scammed and then all of a sudden it’s JP’s fault? Clearly DS has some low self esteem and things to work out and I think it’s immature that he’s letting that out on JP, instead of trying to improve himself. These are not qualities that I usually look for in a ML. Again, I am someone who liked DS up until ep11-12. Hope this gets better because I was really excited about this drama and now I feel a little meh about the “conflict” they are adding these last two episodes. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

15 hours ago, ChunSungIm said:

People hating on nam dosan how is it like living in the imaginary world? to me nam do san is one of us he is the best character showcasing what youth goes through the lack of confidence ,imposter syndrome, the burden carrying expectations of loved ones. 

5 hours ago, NerdyAjumma said:

I'm not sure how DoSan's pure heart is not endearing enough for the few audience to see his side of the story too. His chemistry with DM, and how those two clicked from the getgo is what makes them a compatible pair.

THIS kdrama for once gives us a normal, relatable experience that some of us went through in life, especially for struggling young professionals. 

Interesting points raised for EP11 and 12. I have to agree with @ChunSungIm @NerdyAjumma. We all have different types but through this drama I have for surely confirmed that I'm for the nerdy ones with big hearts. I don't know - it's probably the substance, and how their passions consume them that they can't help but show it in everything that they do. Like when DS was asked what he liked, he talked about artificial neural networks and machine learning (cue Tarzan and Jane) or making those RGB sponges and he can't help but explain it to grandmother as well. That was really so cute for meeee. All this time I really had no problem with DS going for DM since I could really see how they totally get each other. It's those unsaid things that gets conveyed that gets me all the time. 

I get now why some are saying he isn't your typical lead but it's also high time that we get that relatable character through DS. Just as was pointed out - some people can break under immense pressure from expectations or be overcome with anger and act irrationally. Though the latter might not be desirable - it's just totally so human. The drama is so organic when it comes to the characters, and that's true for DS and DM and JP and IJ and grandmother and everyone else and yes, it's your normal and relatable type of thing!! We all have flaws, we make mistakes, we overreact, we say harsh things, we sometimes can't let go of the past, we live with hurt feelings, we cry and despite all of that we carry on because life is like that. Sometimes we get the things we want, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we fail big time that it'll feel like we dug our own graves and yet, life still offers us as way to get out of that hole (aka giving us a drama that we can relate to at this level) 

About the YS and JP twist, I agree too that it's kindness that goes a long way. We can say the cold, hard truths but we may not forget to keep things that way - objective. I think this is where constructive feedback also comes in. We should not attack the person especially if the event is not calling for that. I think the drama is a good reminder that what we say can affect others in a lot of ways - simply, words are powerful. I think it's kind of just because we can say awful things, is that we should. I think YS was also hurt because JP couldn't remember his brother at all which is understandable given JP's line of work. But again, kindness can go a long way too in this scenario. I think that's still one of the things JP needs to learn since obviously the world wasn't really that all kind to him up until grandmother came. He finally had someone to run to. AAH JP and grandmother's arc is also something so special. I hope YS will also be able to forgive and handle the grief and hurt of losing his brother. 

13 hours ago, Arajo81 said:

. . .He asked a number of (fair) questions that Yongsan's brother was struggling to answer. While the CEO was obviously squirming, JP then insinuated he was a "fraud" by not doing his research properly and continued a line of blunt questioning after he already proved his point. 

It's one thing to question a business model but humiliating someone and making personal attacks when someone is visibly crumbling was not necessary. . . At the same time, it shows the unintended consequences of JP's harsh truths. JP is in a position of power over these entrepreneurs who have sacrificed a great deal to get there. Showing some human sensitivity, not making the questions personal and backing off when you've proven your point would have made a massive difference here.

I don't think it's fair to just say Yongsan's brother should just leave and run his business somewhere else. Who knows what mental health issues or personal struggles people have? . . . The entire point of Sandbox is to give entrepreneurs a safe place to fall and land. If people like Yongsang's brother just have to get over it and not take it personally, shouldn't JP also reflect on showing some empathy with his feedback so he doesn't push someone off the edge?

DS's father saying he's that person who's going to be the person who's going to slow down things a little can be applied in a lot of ways - it's like the significant others in our lives that's always keeping us in check. IJ was asked her why again, JP was given the time to reflect about his words, SST had to have this major step back, DM and DS also had to grow apart. I also can't believe I have to wait another week for the next EPs. PS. are we ready for this drama to end??

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1

Ok, I don't like how we got to this point, with all the contract signing, fist fights and all the unrealistic stuff, but I'm moderately optimistic for what's to come now. It feels more realistic that they failed anyway, that's what life is about, you try something and many times you fall and you have to stand up and try again. Plus, Dal Mi and Do San need some time apart. Do San needs to build some confidence and mature. And Dal Mi needs to take distance from this romantic-letters mess and clear her feelings...also, she needs to start a more solid project that will give her the opportunity to succeed. It'll be nice if they meet after 3 years as more mature and successful people...I anticipate the sparks flying in their next meeting. :sparklyeyes:

Also, while Do San is away, Dal Mi and her sister can get closer...a perfect opportunity to introduce the sister to Ji Pyeong :D I think they would make a great couple, although the JP-DM shippers will disagree. But In Jae and Ji Pyieong seem more alike to me, intelligent and business oriented, I think they would understand each other well. I want Good Boy to find love too :) At this point it's pretty clear that Dal Mi is more caught with Do San than Ji Pyeong, and it's boring and sad to see such a good guy stuck with one girl that doesn't love him, just for the sake of maintaining a love triangle in the drama. It's not necesary, hope Ji Pyeong gets his own love story here.

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

Dosan character is annoying and have skizofernia (illusion on dalmi everywhere), i doubt he will grown up after time skip 

Just need downgrade another character so another character can be hero and shine to get a prize

And Good the ending he better with dalmi their have a similiar habbit suit each other completely 

lets 2 horny rabbit make out and crying together everytime eternity ,even in preview trailer dalmi still crying soon the dosan will follow and crying again too mark my word hahahaha....

Jipyong character better hurt now better than later and move on ,realize with his logic enough for this RickRoll'D... 

Already paid the debt to granny ,and saying goodbye , c u again in another place n time or maybe another spin off drama wkkwkw...

• Unamused 2
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

7 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

I will reiterate, Do San in real world would go to jail. I am not sure what part of Battery and assault charges is hard to understand. That's what he has done, Battery. Yes, its a drama so it won't happen. Its not that he should go to jail. But in real world, security in front of sandbox would call police, both guys would be booked. If there's CCTV, then Ji Pyeong, had he chosen could have pressed charges. Its not hateful to point out the obvious. If Ji Pyeong had thrown in the first punch, all of this would apply to him. And yes, he is volatile. Dal Mi is his blind spot and he has responded with aggression twice now whenever he has felt perceived injustice being inflicted on her. He can end up with Dal Mi. But I sure hope, he gets to grow out of this immature phase first and finds a center to ground him that doesn't involve Dal Mi. This 3 years gap could be a good thing to smooth out his edges. And no, I don't want Dal Mi to end up with Ji Pyeong. She doesn't love him. I am praying Ji Pyeong gets over this one sided love affair and finds something or somebody else. I am not a big fan of people pining for people who are not romantically interested in them in an unhealthy manner.

I'm sorry but why you need to bring Dosan would get jailed because of his punch? I'm not justify his action but man, that scene is sooooooo common in kdramas, or any dramas, or any movies, TBH I never ever see someone when two male leads fighting or punching each other, would mention that the male lead had to go to jail lol, for real

Tbh the hate that Dosan getting is sooo ridiculous, it's not healthy anymore.

It's obvious kdrama watchers are not ready to someone like Dosan, I guess the writers should take a note to write character like JP or any typical male lead rich, handsome, success, chaebol or whataver. It would be easier. No wonder all the typical rich male lead are crazy popular

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

3 minutes ago, baby.hae said:

I'm sorry but why you need to bring Dosan would get jailed because of his punch? I'm not justify his action but man, that scene is sooooooo common in kdramas, or any dramas, TBH I never ever see someone when two male leads fighting or punching each other, would mention that the male lead had to go to jail LOL

The hate that Dosan is getting is so ridiculous, it's not healthy anymore

It's obvious kdrama watchers are not ready to someone like Dosan, I guess writers should take a note to write character like JP or any typical male lead rich, handsome, success, chaebol whataver

I wouldn't change my views on that scene if it was Ji Pyeong doing it either if that's what you are implying. I've never condoned violence so far unless its makjang, then pigs can fly on sky for all I care...is this that sort of drama?...what you will or will not accept is up to you. I don't expect you to like my opinion or change your views, feel free to ignore my post. I am not going to sing peaen for any of the characters in this drama nor the writer. Heck, tvn has had better written shows in the same slot with far more realistic characters, I didn't do it for them either.

I am not of the opinion that Dal Mi, In Jae, Do San or Jil Pyeong, Halmoni, their parents, step parents or the Samsan tech team are novel, earth shatteringly fresh or original characters. They are just about as original as that sandbox used in playgrounds is novel or an average Korean chosen from the streets at random is likely to look like Hyun Bin.  They are interesting, they have had their shining moments here and there...collectively episode 12 wasn't that moment of glory for any one of them. It regressed back most characters except for Dal Mi and In Jae. We'll have to wait and see if they can redeem themselves and undo the damage in next four episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

It seems like the war has shifted from team dodal/jidal to dosan/jipeong. I guess since we already know who will end up with dalmi now the focus is to point out every single flaw that dosan has and put a blind eye to the flaw of the favorite character. 

Since everyone has pointed out each character strengths and weaknesses may be it is time to accept each other opinion and no need to justify anymore. It's become annoying when the same arguments are being repeated several times. I think we, mature readers already get your points. 

Let's discuss about other thing as well. E.g the AI product that they try to develop using image recognition. I feel excited everytime they talk about this. There are so many real world problems that can be solved using image recognition. Before this i normally relate the image recognition with security issues only such as to enter a building you need fingerprint or facial recognition. But when they show how image recognition can help blind people it really awesome. Not only that, it can also identify medicine as long as the system has enough images and ontology. And next they are going to develop self driving car using image recognition. So cool! I know that we already have autonomous car or car that can help you park on its own but I never really look at the technology behind it. Now I can really understand... awesome.

Edited by Dramafan123 Dfan
  • Like 13
  • Insightful 1

Yeah I like the tiny bits of the business/tech part in this drama that are shown to us as well. Self-driving cars seem like they require a huge amount of training, basically teaching a machine to drive like us, or ... the good drivers among us at least :D I like learning the few business terms they put in too lol in case I ever enter a trivia competition!!!
Another tech I found interesting is the med identification that they will update for Noongil. As a med student, I thought this is so cool because many patients, especially older ones have problems with med compliance due to having too many pills (could be up to 10+), difficult instructions, etc. Having one app that identifying all the pills, lets you know when and how many to take would be so helpful!!!! 
The rate that Samsan tech develops these things is insane though lol! If the world really has a couple Samsan techs lol we will be living the future!
Also, only 4 more eps!!!! I am not ready...

• Like 7

All this convos,you know what if im dosan i still punch ji pyeong in the faces no matter what consecuenses are. Im samsan tech founder and i need to protect my team at any cost,we all know how harsh and rude it can be. its reality and truth what jipyeong said but words can kill,no matter what i must protect the loves one which is dalmi and samsan tech,childish yes but if you ask me,i would do the same.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1