[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

1 hour ago, D27Gjk68 said:

Thanks for this interesting article. I can relate certain terms in the article with this drama such as LIDAR. I saw this on the whiteboard and was curious about it. Also, the amount of training data required for the autonomous car is no joke since the system learn thru training data. This is also what dosan explain to dalmi when he uses tarzan metaphor. Tarzan keeps on giving things to Jane to understand what Jane prefers. He explained the concept of training data in machine learning which I think is good and simple to understand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kabi said:

Yeah I like the tiny bits of the business/tech part in this drama that are shown to us as well. Self-driving cars seem like they require a huge amount of training, basically teaching a machine to drive like us, or ... the good drivers among us at least :D I like learning the few business terms they put in too lol in case I ever enter a trivia competition!!!
Another tech I found interesting is the med identification that they will update for Noongil. As a med student, I thought this is so cool because many patients, especially older ones have problems with med compliance due to having too many pills (could be up to 10+), difficult instructions, etc. Having one app that identifying all the pills, lets you know when and how many to take would be so helpful!!!! 
The rate that Samsan tech develops these things is insane though lol! If the world really has a couple Samsan techs lol we will be living the future!
Also, only 4 more eps!!!! I am not ready...

Imagine how many new innovations could come out as the result of this drama!! Lol. I know it's computer science and business 101, but just think about variations of innovations that could stem from this inspiring drama!

But seriously, the world could use more of the Samsan tech guys!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baby.hae said:

I'm sorry but why you need to bring Dosan would get jailed because of his punch? I'm not justify his action but man, that scene is sooooooo common in kdramas, or any dramas, or any movies, TBH I never ever see someone when two male leads fighting or punching each other, would mention that the male lead had to go to jail lol, for real

Tbh the hate that Dosan getting is sooo ridiculous, it's not healthy anymore.

It's obvious kdrama watchers are not ready to someone like Dosan, I guess the writers should take a note to write character like JP or any typical male lead rich, handsome, success, chaebol or whataver. It would be easier. No wonder all the typical rich male lead are crazy popular

Hah! Yes. Guys throwing punches at each other in kdramas are so typical and common that I even thought it's part of their culture. Especially after the fight both the guys seemed to be cool about it. Not that I'm promoting violence, but coming from the land of trigger happy (US), this fight is hardly a slap in the face.

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, ChunSungIm said:

All this convos,you know what if im dosan i still punch ji pyeong in the faces no matter what consecuenses are. Im samsan tech founder and i need to protect my team at any cost,we all know how harsh and rude it can be. its reality and truth what jipyeong said but words can kill,no matter what i must protect the loves one which is dalmi and samsan tech,childish yes but if you ask me,i would do the same.

Yeah because you see him as handsome person, so he forgiven 

If dosan not handsome, will you say it same 

Hahahaha....

• Like 1
  • Unamused 3
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, Kabi said:

The rate that Samsan tech develops these things is insane though lol! If the world really has a couple Samsan techs lol we will be living the future!
Also, only 4 more eps!!!! I am not ready...

Alright, the pace of churning out their projects, to be honest, they have essentially crammed at the baseline 3 or more years worth of development phase within what I think is a couple of months of time frame and that is without even taking the patent applications in consideration. Its obvious why, they are 16 episode drama and didn't want to do the leap within sandbox but I thought it would be appropriate to point that out.

As for tech for vision impairment, Google has their glasses, samsung has a few patents too so its already in motion...just to name a few. IN Jae's security feature has been developed and used in military sector. Those are not for use in public domain. The whole handwriting app, I believe they were alluding to E-sign facilities, already commercialized. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

As for tech for vision impairment, Google has their glasses, samsung has a few patents too so its already in motion...just to name a few. IN Jae's security feature has been developed and used in military sector. Those are not for use in public domain. The whole handwriting app, I believe they were alluding to E-sign facilities, already commercialized. 

Thanks for sharing my dear friend. Could you enlighten me what IJ's security feature is used in military sector? I may probably miss the part in drama. Thanks :wub: I am a keen learner for AI technology. We need to embrace any type of technology enhancement coming to us...(BTW, I am using e-signing now, very convenient and user friendly)...:)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Thanks for sharing my dear friend. Could you enlighten me what IJ's security feature is used in military sector? I may probably miss the part in drama. Thanks :wub: I am a keen learner for AI technology. We need to embrace any type of technology enhancement coming to us...(BTW, I am using e-signing now, very convenient and user friendly)...:)

Its for tactical missions from the few public presentations that I have seen....not to save the world like she wanted to but rather identify and elimiate threats without going in person in hostile territory. Pretty sophisticated, there are ways they can thermally, optically detect not only human presence but firearms, explosives and get visual reconstruction. These are almost never revealed to the public unless for educational purposes and on very limited scope. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Everyone has a different perspective and valid points in assessing the real world. That makes the world beautiful.
As each of us handles situations in different ways, from there, we know our own strengths and weaknesses, and try our best to overcome and improve further.

Being a mentor myself, I also learnt that the choice of words is very important to others, there are just double-edged-swords, before we take on the role of mentor, we need to access the mentee profiles too in order to help guide them throughout the learning journey. Sometimes, we even request the mentees go for a psychology test of self-acceptance before the jump start of the session.

Unfortunately the drama Sandbox did not go through the pre-test for the young entrepreneurs. This psychology test is to allow participants to be kind to yourself, take comments positively, believe in yourself, accept imperfection and also accept the fact that no one judges you more than you judge yourself in terms of your life and career performance. And that need practice.

Who didn't have this fear of failure when we were young? But YS's brother showcased his weakness in this drama, he had a very low self-esteem and happened to meet JP as a judge. We all wanted our efforts to be appreciated by someone higher when we were young, wasn't it? Thus, it is supposed to be an opportunity for YS's brother to grow but he chooses to end his life early, unfortunately.

JP certainly needed to do self-reflection and of course he did that in EP12, he cried sadly in front of grandma and blamed himself for being a "bad boy" all these while. As a mentor, he provides guidance and resources, facts and data, but lacks motivation and emotional support to his team, (we all know that because of his past background). I think the writer will make him change to a better mentor in the end. He deserves a happy ending. What is the most satisfying moment for a mentor? It is the final result when the mentees (his team) achieve success once in their lifetime. A self-accomplishment for him, as a mentor.

The story is quite fair, no one is perfect, (not even DM and her grandma), a good and painful lesson learnt for JP and SSTech team, but also a good turning point for them to grow further.

The story has repeated a few times : Follow your dream.  The end result is achieving our dream, but I cherish more on the learning journey be it tangible or intangible one as it brings the impacts in our daily life, especially moving to a digitised world.

This is so true HJP is a good well written character but my issue is how a lot of the viewers praises him for being a great mentor and how the revenge plot as well as the whole his harsh feedback that his given to the teams at sandbox were very out of nowhere and realistic to what its like to be in the field, however his only shown to be a great mentor whenever it came to DM as he gave her great feedback and responded to a lot of her questions which is why when he questions if what he gave as feedback was to harsh as every time his given her some feedback its still less straight forward and cut throat as when his talking to others (like in the flashbacks to how he kept calling noongil a failure).  My main issue is how a lot of HJP actions don't match up to what his roll as a mentor is meant to be within in sandbox.

As someone who's been studying to be part of the industry that sst is part of just leaning more to design my uni a offers alot of mentor/ student programs that follow a similar structure to sandbox that I've been apart of its hard to imagine allowing and having a mentor like HJP as a lot of his criticism towards the team in general have been very destructive but not constructive like his commentary towards YS brother about the battery and being a fraud came up I was so annoyed at how he came to the conclusion as it wasn't a form of valid criticism when he started tearing apart YS brother as it was based on a predicted outcome that may or may not even be a future possibility and it was just tearing the product apart as well as the team but not giving anything to think on in a valid way like he could have pointed out the battery issue without the need to drag him down, even when giving feedback to SST he didn't have to constantly need to point out  how their product would fail (advice that I was once given by a tutor in my first year was that whenever giving criticism or receiving it is important to keep in mind that who we're talking to are just as human as ourselves and to be mindful of our words as they can effect others and their progress in work), it feels wrong how he only felt remorse after seeing the grandmother having to need noongil but even then there was no scene of him going to apologise to the team but instead he just reflected with DM before the grandmother scene in which she tried to validate his form of criticism as a mentor in which he was always treating her nicer because of his interest in her and his guilt about his actions only occurred after when with the grandmother but not towards the rest of the team.

So yes HJP is a good character but so far that's only shown to mainly 2 specific other characters within the drama however outside of DM and the grandmother he needs a lot of reflection on the way he receives and treats others around him the excuse that his a professional just doesn't sit right with me is because his main knowledge is based in business practices and not on tech so he doesn't have a full understanding of the software that the sst team work on in general (but the drama in general atm has shown that they aren't as focused on the logistics of the tech with how they compared SST program to In Jae's program I can't be the only one bothered by the comparison right?).

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

I was mildly interested in this drama because of KHN and I was waiting for more episodes to be out and hopefully, there being some meat to her character because I really enjoy her protrayal of strong, independent women. Looks like I'm skipping this one as she seems more like an afterthought. Ah well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

DS's boorish demeanor 'to protect loved ones and samsan' makes me LMAO.  From what?  From the forces of evil JP?  In kdrama land this is so romanticized and that is the goal.  'Save me, I'm a damsel in distress!'  LMAO 'oh I'll punch whoever offends my loved ones at whatever cost'. :w00t: 'no one should ever offend my lady love' ...

With someone like NJH as the lead, fans would fawn over this ... but as someone else asked if the person were not NJH or someone not as attractive, would you even budge to defend his actions? ... it's a rhetoric question but a valid one ... and yes, some kdrama fans live vicariously through the FL ... LMAO

I am trying to understand where everyone is coming from and it is apparent that one's perspective depends on their life experiences.  If you are a student or haven't worked for a large corporation, you will likely not agree with my perspective because you may not have encountered situations where you have to deal with someone like Ji Pyeong.  I work for a Big 4 management consulting firm and you will likely encounter people like Ji Pyeong.  I have been in the technology business running large engagements up to $50m as well as mentoring for long so I have a good and sound basis on what's I have to say and it's not based on feelings or emotions drawn from kdrama. I've seen different flavors of Ji Pyeong and even worse. It was harsh to be on the receiving end of criticism but just like DM I don't take offense because I take it as constructive feedback that would challenge me to do better next time.  In addition, a lot will be at stake if I don't make the right moves and if I drive work based on emotions.  Any mis-step may have large financial impacts to the client, my firm as well as relations between the 2.  If I did not get any of those feedbacks, I will not be the person I am today and of all the mentors I have, I would remember the ones who nitpick and still look back with gratitude. Don't get me wrong, because not everyone is like JP but getting constructive feedback or having someone breath down your neck is pretty much common in my world.   If you can't handle it, do what's best because there are other companies that would be a good match for your career goals and personality and would happy to have you.  Bottom line, don't try to fit a square peg into a hole if it doesn't fit.  In YS's brother's case it was unfortunate but it is not the company or JP's fault.  As some pointed out he may have a mental case and that's why screening in these companies should've been designed to pick people who would have the personality and resilience to live with the company culture.  The likes of DM, SH, IJ would be able to reap success with Sandbox as they have the positive attitude and the personality in dealing with the SB culture and system.  In the case of SamSan boys even if they have exceptional technical skills they need polishing and handholding if they are to lead but their attitude and they being overly sensitive to constructive feedback is a major drawback to their growth as a professional and as a leader.  So essentially DS is better off as a career programmer and not a business leader (hence not CEO)  if he stays impulsive, emotional and immature and will 'defend SamSan and his loved ones' at any cost no matter what the consequences are ... Halleluia!   :w00t:  Don't worry ... kdrama's got your back ... but that will not work in the real world.  

Disclaimer - Point of view based on real life experience not on kdrama romanticism LMAO 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Dubupaan said:

This is so true HJP is a good well written character but my issue is how a lot of the viewers praises him for being a great mentor and how the revenge plot as well as the whole his harsh feedback that his given to the teams at sandbox were very out of nowhere and realistic to what its like to be in the field, however his only shown to be a great mentor whenever it came to DM as he gave her great feedback and responded to a lot of her questions which is why when he questions if what he gave as feedback was to harsh as every time his given her some feedback its still less straight forward and cut throat as when his talking to others (like in the flashbacks to how he kept calling noongil a failure).  My main issue is how a lot of HJP actions don't match up to what his roll as a mentor is meant to be within in sandbox.

As someone who's been studying to be part of the industry that sst is part of just leaning more to design my uni a offers alot of mentor/ student programs that follow a similar structure to sandbox that I've been apart of its hard to imagine allowing and having a mentor like HJP as a lot of his criticism towards the team in general have been very destructive but not constructive like his commentary towards YS brother about the battery and being a fraud came up I was so annoyed at how he came to the conclusion as it wasn't a form of valid criticism when he started tearing apart YS brother as it was based on a predicted outcome that may or may not even be a future possibility and it was just tearing the product apart as well as the team but not giving anything to think on in a valid way like he could have pointed out the battery issue without the need to drag him down, even when giving feedback to SST he didn't have to constantly need to point out  how their product would fail (advice that I was once given by a tutor in my first year was that whenever giving criticism or receiving it is important to keep in mind that who we're talking to are just as human as ourselves and to be mindful of our words as they can effect others and their progress in work), it feels wrong how he only felt remorse after seeing the grandmother having to need noongil but even then there was no scene of him going to apologise to the team but instead he just reflected with DM before the grandmother scene in which she tried to validate his form of criticism as a mentor in which he was always treating her nicer because of his interest in her and his guilt about his actions only occurred after when with the grandmother but not towards the rest of the team.

So yes HJP is a good character but so far that's only shown to mainly 2 specific other characters within the drama however outside of DM and the grandmother he needs a lot of reflection on the way he receives and treats others around him the excuse that his a professional just doesn't sit right with me is because his main knowledge is based in business practices and not on tech so he doesn't have a full understanding of the software that the sst team work on in general (but the drama in general atm has shown that they aren't as focused on the logistics of the tech with how they compared SST program to In Jae's program I can't be the only one bothered by the comparison right?).

I fully understand where you are coming from and I can feel you, my dear friend.

The interesting fact is that the more viewers commented and raised emotions between hate and love for JP's and DS's characters in this drama, the more success is the writer's creating of the roles which are full of characters flaws but yet caught the attention of the viewers (whether we like it or not). I like to look at another angle to see the whole picture.

If we detach ourselves from the drama, and not too engross too much of the characters, I believe the writer's intention is to make the youth characters evolve from "bad" to a "better" person, not "bad" to a "worse" person (I hope so in the end :)) - learning thru our mistakes is part and parcel of our life.  All of them basically are kind hearted persons and they share the same goals which is "follow your dream" and "never give up no matter what".

JP's original role is a venture capitalist, not an official mentor, (remember he asked his assistant to take up the mentor shirt) but he chose to be one because he cared for DM and grandma. In other words, he may not be a certified mentor or a certified coach (as mentioned in my earlier post that he still lacked motivation and emotional support to his team, as a mentor). BUT, that doesn't stop him or anyone from becoming a better person after knowing their weaknesses and flaws, they can do a self reflection and improve further. This applies the same to DS and his SST team too.

I think we, as viewers, should not magnify the characters flaws for all of them too often (especially DS vs JP), because eventually they will back in reconciliation. Even if they finally completed the new AI apps for the medicines and become popular and successful, there are still many challenges ahead of them to continue the post-support after the launch, as there are always new, grander challenges to confront, but a true winner will embrace each challenge with his courage and determination. Fighting, my friend  :wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

I fully understand where you are coming from and I can feel you, my dear friend.

The interesting fact is that the more viewers commented and raised emotions between hate and love for JP's and DS's characters in this drama, the more success in the writer's creation of the roles which are full of characters flaws but yet caught the attention of the viewers (whether we like it or not). I like to look at another angle to see the whole picture.

If we detach ourselves from the drama, and not too engross too much of the characters, I believe the writer's intention is to make the youth characters evolve from "bad" to a "better" person, not "bad" to a "worse" person (I hope so in the end :)) - learning thru our mistakes is part and parcel of our life.  All of them basically are kind hearted persons and they share the same goals which is "follow your dream" and "never give up no matter what".

JP's original role is a venture capitalist, not an official mentor, (remember he asked his assistant to take up the mentor shirt) but he chose to be one because he cared for DM and grandma. In other words, he may not be a certified mentor or a certified coach (as mentioned in my earlier post that he still lacked motivation and emotional support to his team, as a mentor). BUT, that doesn't stop him or anyone from becoming a better person after knowing their weaknesses and flaws, they can do a self reflection and improve further. This applies the same to DS and his SST team too.

I think we, as viewers, should not magnify the characters flaws for all of them too often (especially DS vs JP), because eventually they will back in reconciliation. Even if they finally completed the new AI apps for the medicines and become popular and successful, there are still many challenges ahead of them to continue the post-support after the launch, as there are always new, grander challenges to confront, but a true winner will embrace each challenge with his courage and determination. Fighting, my friend  :wub:

Well said chingu 

• Like 4

Started watching this drama because of Suzy and OMG this drama is so good! Something that I personally can relate to and it reminds me of my younger self, coding and joining hackathon, filled with hopes and dreams of becoming the next Steve Jobs/Mark Zuckerberg, except the romance part lol XD

Suzy acting never disappoints, in fact personally I feel she improved a lot, one of the few idol turn actress who can actually act lol been a while since I saw her on big screen, almost forgotten how pretty she is XD 

Also honestly I can relate to DS character because I myself am quite blur sometimes especially when comes to romance lol btw, just wanna point something out that it is very rare that any software engineer or computer science major is as good looking as DS Hahahahaha most look like Chul San .. sorry to disappoint anyone lol

• Like 5

@cmoirae2 I agree with most of what you've written....the overwhelming idea here seems people corporate world cares about your feeling and are sensitive to accomodate to your needs. The reality is, there are so many students graduating each year and flooding bay area. You hustle, you network, you hunt for job or else you're doomed. So, nobody has time to even breathe, let alone be emotional about every single thing. I've been getting a lots of remarks here and there without being directly addressed. I've never said people have to listen to or agree to my view but I find it ridiculous that drawing from experience and giving some real world perspective is so triggering to so many people. If you want to ignore things because its a drama, that is perfectly fine. I am not sure why I have to do that. 

• Like 5

I agree with a lot of your points@cmoirae2, because Venture Capital world is such a niche market. Startup will only grow and get funding if they get referal into the network of funders/VCs. In real world, if a startup founder ever throws a punch to a VC from Softbank Venture (SH I assumed were modelled after softbank venture, the only one invest in AI in 2016) and the news spreads, he'll be blacklisted forever and can kiss their startup dream away for good.

I get why NDS angry, I understand why he is what he is. I like NJH since forever. But to be honest if this is real life his attitude will get him blacklisted from startup world.

Many still saw the character through rose coloured glass of Kdrama without any perspective on how harsh is the reality of the start up and VC's world, the odds to success only 10%. Other who willing to understand, start watching HBO Silicon Valley (more realistic potrayal about startup). HJP has this atypical VC behaviour actually, but compared to the VCs in HBO Silicon Valley HJP can be considered a mild sheep.

I am all for HJP to be a better and more empathetic person but the reality is some of his traits are some kind of occupational hazard, common trait of VC who came strickly from financial background. While CEO Yoon seems more emphatetic coz the drama itself said that she was ex startup founder herself. In VC both type of person exist in a firm to check balance each other to asses the high risk nature of startup investment.

And actually alex deal is a fair exit in the startup world. It's just that samsan tech expect to be instagram, but they become friendfeed instead (when bought by fb).

I see a lot of misconception about sandbox. Dad's metaphor are romantized too much. As if being in sandbox startup founders are being nurture with full guidance by their mentors. Sandbox is startup accelerator (selection into accelerators very competitive 3%), different with founders institute or campus incubator who can do more mild/nurturing mentorship. The concept of "sandbox" is actually pre-seed funding (100 million KRW) in exchange of 6-10% equity, so startup founder didn't have to get a loan from the bank to grow their business & in debt when failed. They are also given offices facilities and access to the network of investors for the next round of seed founding at demo days. Pressure is high. So the mentors are actually representatives of pre-seed investors, who prepared them to even harsher vc/sharks in other round of seed funds, how to pitch, how to deal with investor question, how solid is your bussiness model. Mentorship usually provides simulation of pitching session. Your mentor will ask you many trick and though questions. Your mentor also gives you input on your business plan. No baby sitting happening. The great mentorship is measured by how far your startup being mentor by U grow, as in get more rounds of fund (bigger valuation) or successfully exit.

If you cannot deal with harsh reality of seed funding, how will you face series A, B, C etc with bigger investment, more money at stake, bigger pressure.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 2