[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 Major Points Chosen By Cast And Crew Of “The Lies Within” To Watch Out For In The Premiere

Oct 12, 2019
by L. Kim

0da946e8657a416cb5fccb803956d6a9.jpeg?s=

“The Lies Within” is finally premiering tonight!

This OCN thriller is about Kim Seo Hee (played by Lee Yoo Young), who becomes a National Assembly member in order to save her husband who disappeared after the mysterious death of her father, and detective Jo Tae Shik (played by Lee Min Ki), who refuses to leave a single murder unresolved.

Here are three key points to anticipate that was chosen by the cast and crew themselves:

1. The truth of the case

The story unfolds with Kim Seo Hee’s husband disappearing on the day her father passed away. The solid and persistently concealed truth was only possible due to the silence of countless people leading ordinary lives. Every episode will reveal a new truth, which made the cast and crew look forward to each script. The production team shared, “Many stories are prepared for each episode, and the further the drama goes on, the more elaborate the actors’ passionate performances and stories will become.”

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1358487wpp/3-major-points-chosen-by-cast-and-crew-of-the-lies-within-to-watch-out-for-in-the-premiere

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말 - Sat & Sun @ 22:20 KST

Terrific first episode, very gripping, what a cliffhanger!

Question about the character since I don't have the chart:

1) What is Jin Yeon Min's relationship to the company besides being a friend to the missing Sang Hoon (they are clearly friend) but he seems very close to JQ CEO Jung Young Moon?

2) Jeon Ho-Gyu was transferred from JQ into the investigative unit at Song-ju at the time of the assemblyman's death.  He seems very intelligent and resourceful.  Why the transfer? He didn't give an answer to the detective when asked, obviously not fond of the transfer, so I am holding out judgment on his purpose here. I am leaning toward JQ trying to influence the police investigation by planting their own man here.  What if he was also at the verge of discovering JQ's corrupted intent.

3) Which brings me back to the strained relationship between father and son in law, the deceased Kim Jong-Soo and Sang Hoon, both are confrontational over something before the accident and end up paying for the dispute.  Both were on their way to Song Ju that night, Sang Hoon before the assemblyman.  Someone reserved Sang Hoon's air ticket to fly out 1 hour after his drive to the small town.

I like Tae Sik as a no nonsense detective with a keen eye for details.  The synopsis said he is weary of investigative life in Seoul (looks like he is married to his job, his apt is of one mattress and junk foods) so wanted to move back to live with his Mom.  Lee Min Ki is quite good here, I like his natural approach to the character.  An everyday hard upright police detective with easy going personality. Seo-Hee is the black sheep of the family, seems like her mother has no respect for the mousy lady.  She married to benefit both families; her introverted mild manner is one easily manipulated.  She left with hubby to live abroad only to return as JQ is geared toward opening up the alternative plan at Song Ju.  I don't think Sang Hoon is guilty of infidelity and I give him more credit in the brain than his dad.

The accident appeared to happen to silence both Sang Hoon and assembly man Jong Soo.

Good start.

@triplem homeboy is looking suspicious from the get go...all that anger... :huh:.  Is the dead woman his Mistress?  

Notes

1. What’s with children and gore?  Both times... :huh:.  The suicide...and then the dismembered hand...poor boys are gonna need counselling henceforth.

2. It’s a great start.  I like the characters.  They all have depth.  Granted there’s a lot to take in.  I think I need to rewatch to get the full value of all the links and the power plays and double speak.

3. LYY looks to be the innocent caught up in all this.  Initially I thought there would be no romance between her and Detective Jo.  But now I am not so sure.  Her marriage was on the rocks and from first glance it almost appears like an alliance (sham marriage?) with politics involved?

Great first Ep.  Apparently 1.4% is purportedly good for OCN (I heard this from regular OCN watchers).  I get the feeling it can only climb.  The story thus far is gripping and fast paced, I like it.

Extremely loved Lee Min Ki in BTIMFL, not so much in TBI, but it seems like The Lies Within will be good so I'm giving this a try. 

I'm just 2 minutes in but can I just say that the opening credits theme (which sounds like the Strangers Things theme :lol:) is bound to give people a good first impression. I hope this will be good and I love that it's on Netflix. 

Greetings from the cast

Done watching eps 1. I like the fast pace and cinematography. This drama have similar vibes with Strangers/Secret Forest. The way detective Jo imagine the accident scene and the investigation was in details.

Poor Kim Seo hee, she must accepted what her mom and elderly party people ask to join the politics without having any power to reject it.

Everyone is suspicious, even the father in law seems like didnt care enough about his dissapear son. The woman who committed suicide in the opening drama clearly related with Seohee's husband, it's all about time until the detective team will find out the fact. 

So far enjoy the pilot eps. :) I like thriller drama with politic conspiration.

@bedifferent @nrllee After reading your reviews about the first episode, I decided to watch the first episode. I really liked it... The characters are quite interesting and the mystery intriguing.

What caught my attention is that JQ is using her father's death to push her to become an assemblywoman so that the project will come true. Since KSH looks so fragile and even "meek", they see in her the perfect puppet. However, I believe that the CEO has no idea about the true consequences of this project. 

The disagreement between the assemblyman KSC and his son-in-law started with the woman's death. The son-in-law didn't believe in her suicide and wanted to investigate her death. I am even suspecting that he never wanted to become the CEO for that project and had also been manipulated. I guess, the persons behind this thought that they could force the assemblyman to give in as the CEO was his son-in-law. I don't think that her husband killed her father. In fact, there is a third party involved in this. Her friend Jin Young Min knew about the disappearance of KSH's husband. JYM and the father's right man look really suspicious.   

@Lawyerh Wave back to you chingu!:) Me too, the ending scene was really well done.

Honestly, I do think that KSH's husband loved her and the separation had a different reason. His reaction to her question (if he had a woman) was quite telling. Furthermore, he mentioned the death of that woman in the house where his wife lived and in front of his father-in-law therefore they had a different connection.

Warning Long post

Ep1 - Hand

There’s a lot of focus on hands this ep.  I like how the writer and PD focuses our attention on hands and the events playing around the hand scenes.  It shows a connectedness or disconnect.

1. SangHun smashing his hand first on the table...then into the glass window...blood spatters just like the blood from the previous scene (suicide).  They (he and the woman) are connected.  

2. The hands of the sashimi (?) Chef sharpening his knife which he wields in defence when Detective Jo comes up behind him (he’s an ex Con that Detective Jo presumably turned from the dark side)

3. After the altercation of SangHun and his Father in law at the study and SeoHui (LYY) chases him for an explanation, the scene ends with the camera panning in on her hand and the wedding ring.  She connects the 2 men unwittingly.

4. Detective Jo’s mother’s hands whilst shelling beans.  Hardworking hands. She’s living in the countryside. And Detective Jo is heading there to care for her (she has colon cancer).  He is connected to his mother- hence his decision to leave the city and take up a smaller post in the country to be with her.

5. Chairman of JQ (SangHun’s dad) holds SeoHui’s hands in consolation at the wake, urging her to be strong at a time like this.  He only holds her hands, nobody else’s. Does he want her on his side?  Trying to connect with her.

6. The undertaker says, “put your hands on the body of the deceased and say your last words to him”.  SeoHui has a flashback where she is holding onto her father’s hand. She doesn’t want to go (with SangHun presumably to Germany?) but he tells her to go.  She repeats the same phrase he used then to his body. “Have a safe trip. Take care”. The undertaker puts a glove to cover her father’s hand. Ominous. SeoHui needs to take care, her Father is no longer there to protect her.  She remains connected with her Father - her reluctance to leave his side despite being married is strange for someone who is newly wed?  Or maybe it just goes to show she is more connected with her Father than her Husband.

7. Gloves on the hands of Chairman of JQ as he tends to Bonsai.  Bonsai is all about control. Large trees miniaturised and confined in pots, only allowed to grow certain ways to “fit” a picture of what the bonsaist has in his mind.  The man who is talking says, “he (Assemblyman Kim) caused us a lot of distress. Now that the obstacle is gone, we need someone to fill his space. This time we need someone who can bend to our will.” (Bonsai).  Curious Chairman of JQ hands the plant over to the other man (I am unsure who he is) seemingly to want to keep his own hands clean and have the other man do all the work for him? Chairman says, “People think that grafting is easy but it’s more than just adding some twigs to the main stem.  But the grafter must be skilled to make sure the main tree remains intact.” Ominous warning to make sure the person they “graft” on as a replacement doesn’t endanger the main tree (the whole organisation). To which the other man assures, “I will make sure I do things right.”  Chairman is disconnecting himself from the “action”.  His henchmen will do it for him.  And the next scene we see him talking to SeoHui’s Mother to convince her to enlist SeoHui to stand in her Father’s place with a veiled threat in an envelope, “Let’s make sure we can have Assemblyman Kim leave with honour...this is the original I mentioned before”.  Blackmail? He’s threatening to ruin her husband’s reputation if she doesn’t comply and convince her Daughter to do as they want.

8. Her Mother stops her protests when at the cafe (I am assuming it’s the cafe SeoHui owns) when she expresses her reservations about taking up the role.  She does this with her hand on SeoHui’s hands which were on her lap. She is trying to connect with SeoHui but she obviously isn’t as attune with her as her husband was.  And the mother pretty much steamrolls the whole conversation leaving SeoHui bewildered and voiceless.  And we get another tidbit of information. JQ is planning to move into the little precinct of SongJu (the precinct her Father was representing and the same precinct she needs to win in the by election now that the seat is vacant due to his untimely demise).  I don’t think SeoHui and her Mother are “connecting”.  Her Mother knows more than she is letting on.

9. Detective Jo finds out that SeoHui followed SangHun at 6pm on the day of her father’s death.  She was the last person to see him? I am unclear as to whether this took place before or after the altercation with the book throwing?  Final scene with SangHun’s (?) severed hand in the box. And SeoHui’s hand trying to reach for his but never getting there. Both wear similar wedding bands.  Her hand trying desperately to reach his? Signifying a parting which is now permanent?  Also the fact that the box was placed so close to where SeoHui was speaking?  A warning of sorts surely to her.  It’s a signal that they mean business.  They wanted her to see it.

In amongst these, other bits of information

• Business dealing involves a renewable energy project with private-public collaboration - led by government with private investment by JQ.  But Assemblyman Kim was against SangHun from becoming the CEO. Yet SangHun still ended up as CEO for some reason. And the rumour mill within JQ and the rest of the country started because SangHun didn’t seem to have the qualifications necessary for such a position and yet was placed there regardless.

What we know about Assemblyman Kim

• He was going to run for President.

• Pro democracy 

• Even though his in-law is the Chairman of JQ (SangHun’s dad), he was staunchly against the chaebols.  In other words he couldn’t be “bought”.

SangHun

• possibly a sham marriage? Did he marry SeoHui out of love or to gain favour with her up and coming Father headed for the Blue House?

• Looks to be keeping a woman on the side?  Potentially the woman who committed suicide?

• Intensely angry that the woman in question was killed.  He refused to believe she died due to suicide (the suicide note was placed so far from where she jumped...and a rock neatly placed (and it was typed? Most suicide notes are hand written?) on it.  Was she silenced because potentially a scandalous affair would rock Assemblyman Kim’s chances of Presidency? Hence SH vowing to “get to the bottom of it all”.  Or maybe just SH’s position as CEO in JQ?

• He didn’t look like he was behind the accident of his Father in law...that scene was imagined by Detective Jo.  He was on the run from someone in a forest.  He had no shoes on?  And then the hand in the box...was it really his?

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

I don't like the TS female short hair detective. She's a bit overacting.

Hahaha I thought so too! I was a little confused when she entered the restaurant and just full on ranted and even shouted (I was like, "What the heck is she talking about?!") and when she told main lead detective (sorry, haven't gotten used to the characters' names yet) she's going to marry him if they fire her. I found it funny but also excessive, but also likable and also not. :lol: I'm on the fence. I feel like rooting for her but also it depends on what her character will bring to the show. :lol:

I had to pause the episode mid-way but I'll continue watching it now.

We are only at ep1 and there are 2 deaths and one hand. Loving Jo Tae Sik already lol. Lee Joon Hyuk appeared briefly is it a cameo appearance? I don't see his name in the list of casting so he may be a dead man in the drama.

@bebebisous33 as always thumbs up for your analysis. ok so basically it has to do with the mega solar project that JQ (the chaebol in-law of KSC) is investing in and led by the government (KSC). KSC is not keen on on family run conglomerates so he may have been against them. 

Yes, i don't think that SH killed KSC it was only JTS imagination. 

Looking forward to ep2

@imgreatgal @triplem @nrllee In my opinion, someone tried to destroy the relationship between KSC and his son-in-law, make them turn against each other. The husband said that he would investigate where the things went wrong so the suicide of the woman was not the starting point. Besides, the conflict with the project had already occurred. In other words, the death of that woman was just the trigger for the argument which led KSH's husband to question everything. That's why I am saying that someone was interested in meddling in their alliance. Don't forget that his daughter married the chaebol for her father's career. It can not be just the work of the friend who seems to love KSH. I suspect, the company is related to their quarrel. 

Furthermore, I would like to point out that both victims might have been killed by two different persons.     

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The disagreement between the assemblyman KSC and his son-in-law started with the woman's death. The son-in-law didn't believe in her suicide and wanted to investigate her death. I am even suspecting that he never wanted to become the CEO for that project and had also been manipulated. I guess, the persons behind this thought that they could force the assemblyman to give in as the CEO was his son-in-law. I don't think that her husband killed her father. In fact, there is a third party involved in this. Her friend Jin Young Min knew about the disappearance of KSH's husband. JYM and the father's right man look really suspicious.   

Yay, you liked it. First odd thing for me from episode 1 is JQ CEO's attitude.  He never questioned why Sang Hoon is not present at the funeral.  Does he know the reason of his disappearance? Did they plan this together or did he orchestrated Sang Hoon's disappearance? There was no mentioning of Sang Hoon interrupting his business trip to come back... if not for anything, implied of a strained in-law relationship with assemblyman since he didn't even make an effort to contact his son.

From what I can get in the first episode, not only was Seo-Hee being used as the pawn in this game.  Sang Hoon's decision to live in Germany on these years may have been from his disagreement with his father's company.  He could be the reluctant CEO here, brought back to front JQ's company against his and Seo-Hee's father's wishes.  He agreed for a reason, we should find out later.  His living abroad is to protect Seo Hee, with her father's approval.  The fight we witnessed in the study hints that it is about their work with the woman (whom I strongly suspect is a whistleblower).  May have been lapse in how they planned to protect her and how to move forward now that she is dead.  Sang Hoon's torn between loyalty to his father and doing the right thing.

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

1. Detective Jo finds out that SeoHui followed SangHun at 6pm on the day of her father’s death.  She was the last person to see him? I am unclear as to whether this took place before or after the altercation with the book throwing? 

Love your observation of the hand... which I am guessing also implying the owners' involvement in the lies.  The wedding ring came up quite a bit here since it is their marriage is being questioned.  Was wondering if this shot of the assemblyman's hand means anything, the cuts.

Screenshot 2019-10-13 09.01.29

If Sang Hoon is driving into Song Ju at 6pm, he couldn't have made it to the airport for the 7pm flight.  Seo-Hee followed him, she knows he couldn't have been on the flight either but continues to be quiet when others tell her about his business trip.  Seo-Hee is keeping information from TaeSik, she didn't want to give Sang Hoon an alibi not wanting to divulge publicly her suspicion of the affair.  Whoever is orchestrating this relies on her quiet demeanor to keep the lies going.  She will prove them wrong in time.

The book throwing was before.  Sang Hoon went home to Song Ju that night.  What is the reason for Assembly man Kim's trip in the middle of the night to meet him?

4 hours ago, triplem said:

But LJH’s major cameo here with possible glimpses of him in future scenes , got the better of me .

Seo Hui is not completely transparent with what she’s aware of . The cctv caught her following JH but it was bright day light . So I am a bit confused...was that the day of her father’s death ? So this was before he had the fight with her father right ? 

HAHA, yes our handsome oppa is in this drama.  I cringed when he got the book thrown at him.  Do you think LJH's face will scar? LOL

Fight was before the CCTV footage (which is 6pm the day of the accident).

No one is suspicious of Ho-Kyu...guy is awfully resourceful and bright.  Why is he at the police dept instead at JQ?

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

The book throwing was before.  Sang Hoon went home to Song Ju that night.  What is the reason for Assembly man Kim's trip in the middle of the night to meet him?

That’s what threw me.  The book throwing happened at night?  But the cctv footage of SeoHui following SangHoon was daytime?  Or at least there was some light because they timestamped it 6pm (before the sun set?).  It was his last call and made in the vicinity of the car accident (SongJu)?  Unless they decided to just look through cctv in that vicinity and it wasn’t 6pm that they were sifting through but the whole day’s footage of the accident date to trace his footsteps. 

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

No one is suspicious of Ho-Kyu...guy is awfully resourceful and bright.  Why is he at the police dept instead at JQ

HoKyu definitely has a backstory as well.  He quit a cushy well paying job to work in the police force.  Even Detective Yun expressed his disbelief.  He seems to have a good handle on everything that was happening in JQ. 

But yes as a few have suggested SeoHui isn’t as innocent either because she seems to be hiding facts from Detective Jo.  And that weird dynamic between JQ Chairman (Bonsai Man) and his son SangHoon.  You would think he would be panicking a bit if he knew his son was in danger?  SH is his ONLY son?  Were they hiding him to keep him safe and he broke out to try to investigate only to be nabbed by the 3rd party involved hence the dismembered hand in the box as a warning not just to SeoHui but everyone else there at the memorial?  She was needed to identify the hand as her husband’s (wedding band) but maybe it was to send a warning to JQ chairman?  

Archived