Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

@cherriesblue my mistake, I typed retiring when I meant transferring.  He has transferred to a substation outside of Seoul, not Songju.  OCN dramas, outside of gruesome, don’t have typical kdrama sweet endings :D

I do like seeing Ho Gyu spirit in a salmon colored shirt.  The afterlife is not boring or bland after all LOL

@nrllee  Hope to see everyone in the Secret Forest 2 thread when it starts.  I am waiting for Lee Sun Kyun’s drama to start. There’s several potentially good dramas next year :)

• Like 5
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Hope to see everyone in the Secret Forest 2 thread when it starts

I am so in!!  Bring SiMok and YeoJin back!  :)

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 4

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@nrllee  Hope to see everyone in the Secret Forest 2 thread when it starts.  I am waiting for Lee Sun Kyun’s drama to start. There’s several potentially good dramas next year :)

I will be there @bedifferent with bells. 

Although I didn’t comment much in this thread but this was an awesome drama. I always felt SH was in on it. It bothered me to see him sitting there and not fighting them. It was realistic that YM would also die. YM lost the two people who loved him most. YM could never understand why SH didn’t want the life he had. 

Losing the girl he loved truly opened his eyes, made him afraid but then seeing the length SH wanted to go through to stop the Chairman also opened his eyes.  As he continued with SH plan, he became numb through it all but it still hurt him. SH loved YM, he was his family and the one person who he could be totally honest with. Someone who knew his past and future. 
It would seem that he did loved his adoptive father even though he hurt him.   Ironically the Chairman did love him in his own way. Also the Chairman finally learned that SH did love him no matter what kind of person her was. He loved him unconditionally. DI and YM could have been surrogate because all they really wanted was his acceptance. In the Chairman’s eyes he saw only greed but he mistakenly read their hearts wrong.  SH never loved him for what he gave him , so he could always trust him just like SH. Seo Hui  was the same , she was an open book and he thought she was weak. In truth she was strong and all she needed was the right push to do the right thing. 
what do you guys think??

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I feel like crying now. Though I still can't agree with Sang Hun and Yeong Min's plan. Mutilation? Oh my god it's a psycho thing. I thought, "Why didn't they find another way, more powerful institution. I don't know. Minister or even blue house."

And then the doctor said he had brain tumor. Then I thought, "Ahh this is his reason. He needs an impactful yet gambling shortcut." 

It's really a gambling plan.

• Like 10

Just got back home. Long day, still haven’t watched with subs... but I thought about a (hopefully) smarter way if mutilation must be done.... Send the “torture” video to Chairman instead of SeoHui.... or better still, send a pleading video by Sang Hun himself “Save me, Daddy! Or else...” :huh: Maybe we can save a foot and an eye with that? I don’t know...

• Like 9

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Just got back home. Long day, still haven’t watched with subs... but I thought about a (hopefully) smarter way if mutilation must be done.... Send the “torture” video to Chairman instead of SeoHui.... or better still, send a pleading video by Sang Hun himself “Save me, Daddy! Or else...” :huh: Maybe we can save a foot and an eye with that? I don’t know...

No, this would have raised suspicions that the accomplice is next to the chairman. He would have immediately suspected JYM. If they had sent it to the chairman, this meant that they knew about the contamination and the cause of the CSH and KSC's death. Hence their goal would have not been achieved.

About the mutilations: we shouldn't forget that JSH had been adopted because he resembled his deceased son so much. So with the mutilations, JSH is trying to destroy the image of his deceased son. It was as if he was giving up his identity as his son... Finally, they also symbolize the crimes committed by the chairman: contamination resulted in the destruction of parts in the human bodies. 

@nrllee @bedifferent After watching the whole conversation between the chairman and JYM, I came to understand why YM first told the chairman about CSH's investigation. He had definitely been influenced/brainwashed by the chairman but he never thought that this man would even commit murder. Her death made him realize what kind of man the chairman truly was. Notice that JSH didn't leave a letter to the chairman but only wrote to KSH because he knew that his father was responsible for his death. 

KSH might resent JSH but she loved the man Yu ES... hence she called him with his original name. By doing so, she cut ties with the chairman, she doesn't acknowledge him any longer as a relative to JSH because he caused his son's death.

I have to say that the writer did a good job because she used a lot of red herrings: sexual abuse f. ex. Furthermore, Jin Young Min was a well written character, quite complex to read. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33 which part of episode did it show a red herring that there might be sexual abuse? I missed this, didnt get the impression that any of them experienced this.  

AAlthough In had a drunkard and abusive father so a traumatic childhood, which partly led him to how he is now.

• Like 10

On a much lighter note, it looked like the cast members had a blast filming the finale :wub:

I seriously don’t know who to ship more…Sang Hun/Seo Hui, Ho Gyu/Jin Gyeong or Tae Sik/IDG :P

I will definitely miss them this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Even though I understood where SH was coming from, it was hard for me to accept this as the best way to bring his father down. I Guess I really wanted a sort of happy ending ...who am I kidding right , this is ocn ..:lol:

loved the cast . I really liked Lee Min Ki in this role especially how he portrayed TS - calm , thorough & dependable.  Also hats off to Oh Ju Wan who played YM. He did amazing - he was the hardest to read and the writer did a great job fleshing out his character right till the very end . While I can’t say that this would be my favourite ocn drama ( I reserve that for Life On Mars & Bad Guys) , it was a good watch & honestly I found myself enjoying this thread . Maybe even more than the drama . :lol:. Thanks all for making this thread such a fun & insightful read

And finally , I started this for LJH & it was his love story with Seo Hui that kept me invested all the way . His role here was kept a secret , so this has been a real treat for me.  He’ll be leading a new MBC drama as a detective ( 365 - One Year Against Destiny) . Maybe I’ll see some of you there :)

Edited by triplem
  • Like 2
  • Love 10

LJH welled up? :lol::wub:  At 2:05-2:08 in the video above after his final scene and he received flowers.  He was looking fondly at LYY and she asked him, “Why are you crying?”.  Aww... they must be good friends for him to step in and play her “husband” SHoon.  Such a nice man. Hopefully they will meet together again in a lighter drama.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

@bebebisous33 which part of episode did it show a red herring that there might be sexual abuse? I missed this, didnt get the impression that any of them experienced this.  

AAlthough In had a drunkard and abusive father so a traumatic childhood, which partly led him to how he is now.

The fact that JTS's sister died (she got sexually abused) and we had this interview where a criminal, an abused boy, had killed the perpetrator and all this time, the village knew about the abuse and did nothing. In reality, the parallel was elsewhere: many people knew about the contamination but they did nothing out of greed, cowardice, indifference aso. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

@triplem Sang Hun’s decision was truly heartbreaking and it will definitely continue to leave those on the outside to question whether his choice was really the best/only option. In his farewell letter, I remember him saying that he felt powerless in front of his father. It must be that with his extreme plan, he finally felt he was in control for once in his life. Nevertheless, I agree that it’s utterly hard to accept that he felt self-sacrifice was the only way to defeat his father. In exchange, it was all for a noble cause, but the cost is just too painful for those who loved him. I keep thinking that if Sang Hun and YM had remained together at the orphanage, they would have likely grown up to lead “normal” lives. It saddens me that because of the chairman, they became broken souls. Since the story goes that they could not have a happy ending, I can only wish that they found peace in their decisions.

Regarding the couple, OCN totally pulled wool over my eyes with all the sweet flashbacks and BTS. I really wanted (and thought) they would be be reunited. Sigh...oh well. Alternatively, it would be lovely if LJH and LYY could be reunited in a lighter/romantic drama one day.

I loved the cast as well. I don’t consider this my favorite OCN drama either, but I unknowingly became attached to the characters and do respect the writer’s creativity. Life on Mars and Tunnel are my favorites so far. Will need to check out Bad Guys and keep my eyes out for LJH's upcoming drama.

I truly had a great time with everyone here in the thread. Take care and hope to bump into you all elsewhere. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 5

@taeunfighting perhaps it would have been easier for me to accept the self sacrifice if Seo Hui wasn’t in the picture. The early synopsis implied a marriage of 2 families but from those flashbacks it was clear they loved each other . I suppose he did not want to see her having  to lose him twice . 
Yes , I loved Tunnel too . Bad Guys ( the 1st one ) has a unique storyline . Think you may enjoy it . Also liked Voice ( S1) & it’s worth checking out if you hv not seen it before . 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

@triplem To your earlier point, you're right that to understand and to accept are two different things. I believe Seo Hui struggled to cope with the two as well. Although the story had dark elements, it had some beautiful undertones too. Sang Hun and Seo Hui's love for each other was a ray of light throughout. I was glad the writer didn't go with the marriage of two families path, but because s/he didn't, it made us viewers root so much harder for them. For Seo Hui not to have it in the end was a tough swallow. :(

I occasionally re-watch Tunnel. I doubt I can with Lies. Maybe re-watching the BTS instead may help me heal. :P I've seen Voice S1. Pretty good. Just binged through Prison Playbook and have nothing else going at moment. So, I definitely have room for Bad Guys. Thank you for the recs. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 4

Hehehe... I see ljk fans here:wub:...how was his role in the drama:rolleyes: would you recommend this drama for his fan...oops that's me:P

• Like 4

7 hours ago, elsanna said:

Hehehe... I see ljk fans here:wub:...how was his role in the drama:rolleyes: would you recommend this drama for his fan...oops that's me:P

You mean LJH ? His was an extended cameo in support of Lee Yoo Young (the female lead ) who is from the same agency . The mystery of the drama was surrounding his disappearance & relationship with the female lead . I think it’s worth the watch as you’ll see a different side to LJH’s acting . He has decent screen time for some one who came on as a guest role. The rest of the cast was great & all in all it was an unusual plot . 

If you mean LMK ...he was a really great cop here

Final goodbyes 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 12/2/2019 at 8:01 PM, taeunfighting said:

On a much lighter note, it looked like the cast members had a blast filming the finale :wub:

I seriously don’t know who to ship more…Sang Hun/Seo Hui, Ho Gyu/Jin Gyeong or Tae Sik/IDG :P

AWWW, cute BTS video, LJH's black make-up eye cracked me up.  TaeSik holding IDG's hand is on another bromance level.  The actress who plays Jin Gyeong does have a pretty smile.  I always thought PD Lee is the kindest sweetest female PD out there, she looks like a nice aunt you would want to have. Here she is making a crime thriller LOL

I didn't know this beforehand.  Apparently, Lies Within is an adaptive screenplay based on a 2012 SK novel "AntiHuman Declaration" by Joo Won Gyu.  Book is about 7 body parts found scattered around the city.  Hand, foot, ear, mouth, heart, eye, head.  A detective responsible for the investigation believes the body parts are related to his own case of accidental death involving factory workers.  One character's ex-hsb's (also named Sang Hoon) hand was found at the plaza.  As the senior researcher working on renewable energy source for a company where the factory is located at, Sang Hoon disappeared after his father's traffic accident. The cases eventually reveal the struggles of corporate greed and political powerplay.  There are enough differences in the drama from the stories in Seo Hui and her father, done for dramatic purposes.  The body parts are used to point out the corrupted ugly desires that turn us human to non-human.  In order for us to be human, must we have to reject these negative qualities that make us human?  (Did I make sense here?  :lol:)

@taeunfighting hope you got the chance to watch Signal if you haven't yet. :D

On 12/2/2019 at 7:48 AM, bebebisous33 said:

So with the mutilations, JSH is trying to destroy the image of his deceased son. It was as if he was giving up his identity as his son... Finally, they also symbolize the crimes committed by the chairman: contamination resulted in the destruction of parts in the human bodies. 

I think Sang Hoon was sending the body parts to signify the crimes committed by CEO JYM just like you have predicted :D  For the same reasons, @triplem @nrllee Sang Hoon sees himself as the vehicle to expose the truth.  JYM manipulated others serve his purpose.  He committed crimes without any remorse for money... IDG and YM were his tools.  The evil that was JYM, once has taken roots in a person, can't be cured.  It takes someone like Sang Hoon who is willing to dismember himself to expose the man's evil deeds.

Someone needs to read the book to tell us more LOL

• Insightful 9

Really sad ending. Love all the casts.

But the three involved and sacrificing in such a painful manner.. thts quite weird and leaving behind such a young wife. Must be traumatic for her. 

• Like 8

*spoilers abound in long ramble below, but seems everyone has had a chance to watch the finale by now*

On 12/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, UnniSarah said:

SH loved YM, he was his family and the one person who he could be totally honest with. Someone who knew his past and future. 

@UnniSarah Yes, Eun-seong/Sang-hun and Yeong-min were actually closer than any of the characters in the story. The desperation of their scheme reminded me a little of the phrase 'folie a deux' - a kind of shared madness of two people against the outside world. I loved that Yeong-min, who had always been the protective elder brother, followed the lead of Eun-seong in the end. The two scenes that really got me:

• In the car after the escape from the asylum. Yeong-min regrets siding with the Chairman but doesn't see a way out. Eun-seong realises they need to make use of the one person who has a hold on the Chairman - Jeong Sang-hun. It's performed so quietly, no histrionics, but you can just see that mix of sadness and horror and finally resolve on their faces.
  • The euthanasia scene, when Eun-seong gives Yeong-min reassurance by grasping his hand. Both actors did so well.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:16 AM, taeunfighting said:

Sang Hun and Seo Hui's love for each other was a ray of light throughout.

@taeunfighting Yes! I know some viewers felt it was a betrayal, and that he was cruel to her for putting her through this. But he knew her well enough to understand that at the outset, she wasn't strong enough for the fight. Her naivety was the only protection she had; she could survive only so long as the Chairman and political party underestimated her. It required extraordinary stress for Seo-hui to grow into that resourceful and resilient woman who stared down the Chairman in Ep 15, and who made use of the groundbreaking ceremony in Ep 16. She was nowhere near that level in Ep 1.

Eun-seong trusted her to become that strong woman. That's love.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:07 PM, triplem said:

loved the cast . I really liked Lee Min Ki in this role especially how he portrayed TS - calm , thorough & dependable.  Also hats off to Oh Ju Wan who played YM. He did amazing - he was the hardest to read and the writer did a great job fleshing out his character right till the very end . 

@triplem  Lee Min-ki and Ohn Ju-wan were revelations for me, since I've not been watching kdrama long enough to have seen them before.

Lee Min-ki played Tae-sik with so much authenticity. No over-the-top eureka moments (credit to writers of course for this). When he led that press conference, and admitted that the police had made grave mistakes but would commit to doing better, it rang with truth. Whether it was that look of pain when he found Sang-hun's body, or closure when he spoke with his sister, he brought just the right balance of emotion and stoicism.

Ohn Ju-wan, where to begin? His confrontation with the Chairman in Ep 15, his exchange with In Dong-gu on the roof, amazing. I went back to some of the earlier episodes and he was just masterful in holding the mask while adding nuances of menace, anger, doubt etc.  

On 12/3/2019 at 2:07 PM, nrllee said:

LJH welled up? :lol::wub:  At 2:05-2:08 in the video above after his final scene and he received flowers.  He was looking fondly at LYY and she asked him, “Why are you crying?”.  Aww... they must be good friends for him to step in and play her “husband” SHoon.  Such a nice man. Hopefully they will meet together again in a lighter drama.

@nrllee I can't help feeling that Lee Yoo-young's agency and LJH are trying to rally around her. As many here will know, in May she posted a distressing message on Instagram and people feared for her safety. And this was a difficult role that could have dredged up negative emotions. I would like to think that surrounding her with good colleagues and meaningful work was the best way for her to heal.

*cough* That aside, she's a very attractive and talented woman so I know I'd weep if I had a last scene with her :lol:;)

On 12/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, bebebisous33 said:

About the mutilations: we shouldn't forget that JSH had been adopted because he resembled his deceased son so much. So with the mutilations, JSH is trying to destroy the image of his deceased son. It was as if he was giving up his identity as his son...

@bebebisous33 Absolutely, and I think Eun-seong was as much trying to gain his own identity as much as deconstruct 'Jeong Sang-hun'. It was tragic and a desperate move, but also a twistedly brilliant one. 

12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Apparently, Lies Within is an adaptive screenplay based on a 2012 SK novel "AntiHuman Declaration" by Joo Won Gyu.  

@bedifferent Wow, really. I wonder if it's been translated and I'm definitely intrigued. It seems like the story has diverged somewhat and I love that The Lies Within is very much its own story too.

~

Thanks folks for posting the BTS and farewell messages. So wonderful to see the friendly atmosphere on set and YES! it was so funny to see Tae-sik and the Unstoppable Dong-gu-nator actually hugging and messing around between takes! And... "Hogyu X Jin-gyeong FOREVER". It even reminds me that our evil Palpatine and despicable Assemblyman Hong were created by no doubt very hardworking and beloved senior actors :D

~

I will miss having roller-coaster, nail-biting, gut-wrenching, heart-stopping weekends with the TLW cast, and even more so the gorgeous people on this thread. Hope to see you all in other high quality drama discussions! :heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 6

44 minutes ago, AC95 said:

@nrllee I can't help feeling that Lee Yoo-young's agency and LJH are trying to rally around her. As many here will know, in May she posted a distressing message on Instagram and people feared for her safety. And this was a difficult role that could have dredged up negative emotions. I would like to think that surrounding her with good colleagues and meaningful work was the best way for her to heal.

Yes I feel that too.  I think she turned down Terius Behind Me because the female lead in that had a backstory where her husband died and at that time it was coming up the first anniversary of the death of her boyfriend.  I always thought it was odd that she was the one to carry his picture and lead the funeral procession.  That was usually the responsibility of the spouse or close family member/best man.  It put her right in the spotlight which I felt was horribly unfair for her to be forever burdened with that.  She picked up Your Honor instead of Terius.  And that in itself was pummelled with all sorts of side issues which detracted from the drama because Yoon ShiYoon was main lead and he was the one who took on the spot vacated by her bf in 2D1N.  I always felt she buried herself in university/work to try to get away from having to face the grief.  And that post on Instagram was obviously a moment when it all came crashing down.  I am glad LJH took on the role as SHoon.  Acting with someone who knows your history and is responsive to how it could possibly affect you off screen is always assuring.  I think that could be why he seemed more attentive than usual during the BTS in the scenes with her.  Love him for that :wub:.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7