[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

9 hours ago, nrllee said:

That’s what threw me.  The book throwing happened at night?  But the cctv footage of SeoHui following SangHoon was daytime?  Or at least there was some light because they timestamped it 6pm (before the sun set?).  It was his last call and made in the vicinity of the car accident (SongJu)?  Unless they decided to just look through cctv in that vicinity and it wasn’t 6pm that they were sifting through but the whole day’s footage of the accident date to trace his footsteps. 

Trying to put the timeline together, please correct me

2/25-3/2              reservation at hotel; Sang Hoon's apt in Song-ju is clean but the fruit in his hotel is fresh, indicating he was there recently.  He did not check out, meaning he was to return to the hotel on 3/3, not flying out to Germany.  Both men were cordial on 2/25 (working on something together).

Days before:       girl's suicide

Days before:       argument between Sang Hoon + Assemblyman Kim; Sang Hoon left to Song-ju that night

Days before:       divorce paper given to Sang Hoon

3/3    5:26pm      both Seo-Hee and Sang Hoon are seen on CCTV on the way from Seoul to Song-ju

5:30-6pm  Seo-Hee stopped Sang Hoon on freeway, his head wound has healed

~6pm        Sang Hoon's last phone call to someone while on road to Song-ju (assuming with the man whom he met at the teahouse) It's the same day because he wears the same tan jacket/pink polo shirt that we saw on freeway with his wife.  Man could be connected to Songju mixed concrete.

7pm           Sang Hoon's flight to Germany for solar energy conference (who booked it?)

10:55pm    Assemblyman Kim’s accident near Song-Ju; Sang Hoon did not picking up his phone

3/3                       Kim Pil-yeon fought with someone in abandoned building and went into hiding

3/5                  Funeral

3/7                  Memorial (hand is delivered, pathologist time of amputation ~ 1-2 days ago)

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, triplem said:

2. That good friend of Sang Hun or was it the bro ..he’s also privy to a lot of information. Not sure if we can completely trust him . 

Yes, I'm getting the *suspicious good friend* tingle.

15 hours ago, nrllee said:

Warning Long post

Keep them coming!

16 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

I don't like the TS female short hair detective. She's a bit overacting. Perhaps I will get used to her later. 

Haha, she's total comic relief :D Now that we're in Ep 2, I found her and the captain to be much-needed tension dispellers. It would be exhausting to stay in dark mode throughout. I'm actually liking the dynamics of the investigation team, the writer has thrown in enough casual banter and personality tics for them to come across as real people. While they're not the most brilliant officers, they are comfortable with each other, indulge in gallows humour now and then, and get things done.

16 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Honestly, I do think that KSH's husband loved her and the separation had a different reason.

Ep 2 is totally in line with your theory and I favour this too. *But* since this is so early on, I'm also prepared to be thrown a loop. This is proving to be a fascinating watch, I hope the ratings go up as more people get sucked in. 

@bedifferent

Whoa, bravo on that timeline!

=========

And can I just rave again, the cinematography and shot angles are just art, and the background music - bellissima

@triplem gah...those 2 need a melo together as main leads... :wub:.  Next time.  I am desperately hoping that even with that “dream” it says they did love one another at some point?  Surely?  I am off to watch Ep2 now.

Also the subs seem a bit off at times?  I recall being flabbergasted when Detective Jo was watching cctv footage of Assemblyman Kim’s car at a set of lights and he notes that even though the brake lights come on, the car doesn’t slow down so he says, “looks like he runs out of oil” (subs say)...and I scratch my head thinking, “petrol? The car will stop running altogether with no petrol?”  I think he probably said “brake fluid”.  :o But subs translated it to “oil”.

The chairman of JQ Group reproached his right-hand man In Dong Koo to be the cause of all this. This means that the latter had developed a strategy which the chairman approved but since his son has been hurt, in his eyes IDK is to blame. This makes me think that the chairman of JQ might have approved KSC's death, maybe in order to stop his son from investigating further. The woman had already been killed (faked suicide) but instead of destroying the alliance,  JSH announced to his father-in-law, he will investigate in order to find where all went wrong. As conclusion, the death of the woman had the opposite effect therefore they planned the same thing for the assemblyman so that JSH would stop. If JTS hadn't found the traces on the road, he would have come to the conclusion that KSC had committed suicide. 

What also caught my attention were the words In Dong Koo told to Kim Pil Yeon: "Where is JSH hiding?" So the right-hand man believes that JSH has not been kidnapped but disappeared on his own volition. He heard that the hand belonged to JSH, yet IDK still thinks that JSH is not a victim and is trying to stop JQ with faking his "disappearance".

Since we saw JSH running in the woods barefoot, it means that he was still close to Sonju. He definitely met someone else there. Strangely, the person who hurt and even killed JSH seems to have the same goal than JQ Group: KSH has to become an assemblywoman but I suspect for a different reason. Like I had written before, there is a third party no one is aware of at this moment.    

Ep2 is titled “Target” - who is the real target?

I get the feeling it’s SeoHui.  Everything seems to revolve around her.  I don’t know why yet.  I thought it was strange that Det Jo asked SeoHui at the scene of the car accident, “Do you know who harmed your Father and your Husband?”  And to her reply, “how would I know?” He point blank said, “It was you Ms Kim”.

@bedifferent I think your timeline seems right - I will repost it with some comments 

Days before:       girl's suicide (possible whistleblower?)

Days before:       argument between Sang Hoon + Assemblyman Kim; Sang Hoon left to Song-ju that night.  I think after this Assemblyman Kim decides to hatch plan with SH to take down JQ (?).  Hence the reservation at the hotel where they meet and discuss how?

Days before:       divorce paper given to Sang Hoon.  (I am not so sure about where this fits, they are still in the abandoned car?)

2/25-3/2              reservation at hotel; Sang Hoon's apt in Song-ju is clean but the fruit in his hotel is fresh, indicating he was there recently.  He did not check out, meaning he was to return to the hotel on 3/3, not flying out to Germany. Both men were cordial on 2/25 (working on something together - to take down JQ?).  Clue about what they were working on from shredded paper pieced together again “Relocation of of SongJu Renewable Energy Business Site” (were they intending to relocate it so the existing factory could remain in operation?)

3/3    5:26pm     both Seo-Hee and Sang Hoon are seen on CCTV on the way from Seoul to Song-ju

5:30-6pm  Seo-Hee stopped Sang Hoon on freeway, his head wound has healed.  Confrontation.  He tells her to just wait.

~6pm        Sang Hoon's last phone call to someone while on road to Song-ju (assuming with the man whom he met at the teahouse) It's the same day because he wears the same tan jacket/pink polo shirt that we saw on freeway with his wife.  Man could be connected to Songju mixed concrete. SH’s car is abandoned at MiriDong after he meets with this man. Lady at HuiSuk tea house says they had an argument. The man (Kim PilYeon?) said he shouldn’t have trusted SH. SH reaches into his jacket and pulls something out to thrust into the man’s hand (looked like papers) but the man doesn’t back down, takes the papers and storms off.  Assemblyman Kim’s name was brought up many times. Presumably this was where SH was taken/kidnapped  (he couldn’t have left that rural area without his car...it was abandoned there).  

7pm           Sang Hoon's flight to Germany for solar energy conference (who booked it?)

10:55pm    Assemblyman Kim’s accident near Song-Ju; Sang Hoon did not picking up his phone.    

3/3                       Kim Pil-yeon fought with someone in abandoned building and went into hiding.  Building is set on fire. I found this strange. If the person had wanted to kill him, why not just do it and then set fire to the building?  There was no fighting when the scene played out to the audience? The guy came in whilst KPY was asleep, poured kerosene, lit it and left? When did the fighting happen?  The owner said he heard fighting, left to ring the police and by the time he got back, the place was ablaze and KPY was seen fleeing the scene? So it sounds like there were 2 things that could’ve happened?  There was an altercation with KPY, SH fled (this was the “fighting” owner heard). KPY went to sleep, some other man comes back and sets fire to the premises and he flees?

If SH fled (intact) and shoeless, he would be running and then caught by someone else (the person who amputates him with KPY’s butcher knife).

3/5                  Funeral

3/7                  Memorial (hand is delivered, pathologist time of amputation ~ 1-2 days ago)

Chairman Jeong sends his henchman to find Kim PilYeon demanding that SH be brought back otherwise the henchman no longer has a spot in the organisation.  KPY and henchman have a fight and KPY escapes.  He rings SeoHui and tells her to come to the shipping yard with money (?).  Bizarre because it doesn’t look like he’s there to collect?  Unless he sort of is...he’s the guy SeoHui finds hanging in the shipping container?  I think KPY and the people behind the whole thing are 2 different things.  KPY doesn’t have the know how to hack her computer and the threat directed required her to become an Assemblywoman, she isn’t even in the running yet.  I think KPY is caught up in this whole thing and is a red herring.

Other notes

• Chairman of the RMC Union (?) seems very nonchalant about the whole thing...says he doesn’t know Kim PilYeon personally.  Says he’s just like everybody else? He picks out a bug from the turmeric tea he makes Detective Jo (eww…). Don’t trust him.  He’s hiding something.
  • As suggested by @bebebisous33, Chairman Jeong might have wanted Assemblyman Kim dead.  He didn’t seem particularly devastated that SH was also “missing”.  Did he have people keep SH away in hiding (maybe his henchman and KPY?) because he knew SH would be against the “accidental death” of Assemblyman Kim?  Hence the cover up...with business trip... Somehow something went horribly wrong here, SH escapes (?), gets captured by some other party who were happy to amputate his hand as a warning.  Chairman Jeong would not have ordered this.  SH was his only son.  He was visibly shaken when the hand was identified as SH’s.  Hence his angry outburst telling his henchman to track down KPY and bring SH back alive.

@nrllee Yes, I agree that SH seems to be the real target. First, let us not forget that SH spent 4 years in Germany with her husband. So she was far away... what if this stay in Germany had something to do with SH in the first place?  First, we assumed that JSH went there and SH had just to follow him. But what if it was the opposite? JSH and KSC wanted her out of the country.

Secondly, as soon as they got back, SH was sent to her father. It was as if her father's role was to protect his daughter. If so, then JSH knew that by his side, SH would get exposed to danger. 

Notice that once both are removed, SH is left without protection. Her mother and her father-in-law are doing nothing for her. Furthermore, after their disappearance, she was approached by two people:

- the politician who worked for JQ Group

- the kidnapper, the one who cut JSH's hand

I agree that female detective's role is kinda annoying. I understand that the writer needs to lower the tension with some light and funny scenes but seriously her scenes aren't funny. I feel like the writers are forcing her character too much.

I don't have any complain for other characters. 

I hope the storyline will be superb. I belive there will be a twisted and complicated case that hard to solve.

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

First, let us not forget that SH spent 4 years in Germany with her husband. So she was far away... what if this stay in Germany had something to do with SH in the first place?  First, we assumed that JSH went there and SH had just to follow him. But what if it was the opposite? JSH and KSC wanted her out of the country.

Secondly, as soon as they got back, SH was sent to her father. It was as if her father's role was to protect his daughter. If so, then JSH knew that by his side, SH would get exposed to danger. 

I agree that JSH could be protecting SH when he left with her to Germany. The chairman had wanted to handover the company to JSH but i believe JSH is avoiding it because that would look bad for his father in-law when he becomes the ceo of the new business. My question is why did SH and JSH came back separately. SH has been back in Korea for a year while JSH only returned 4 months ago. 

32 minutes ago, triplem said:

This is the most plausible theory for me right now. I don't actually think JQ chairman would want his son dead but he would want his son out of the way. JQ taking over the site where the factory was angered the workers and provoked the union leader KPY to protest against Assemblyman Kim. Kim was seen as supporting the conglomerate - so it felt like a betrayal . Kim and SH may have been trying to find a win win solution but something fell through . KPY was the one with SH at the restaurant in the rural place and he got mad because promises were not kept. But KPY did  not kill Kim or abducted  SH. KPY is a scapegoat in this whole scenario and the guy hanging at the end is likely him

I think this is more that just a fight between JQ and the factory workers, a third party could be involve. Someone may have threatened KSC that JSH didn't know about. The JQ chairman knew from the beginning that JSH had gone missing and even tried to deny it when the hand was discovered. So the chairman could be in some deal with a third party that we have yet to know.

The characters charts is in korean so I don't know how Young Min and In Dong Koo fits into JQ. There is a photo of Young Min and JSH together it seems that they have been closed since young. I believed Young Min too knew JSH has been missing.

5 hours ago, nrllee said:

Chairman Jeong sends his henchman to find Kim PilYeon demanding that SH be brought back otherwise the henchman no longer has a spot in the organisation.  KPY and henchman have a fight and KPY escapes.  He rings SeoHui and tells her to come to the shipping yard with money (?).  Bizarre because it doesn’t look like he’s there to collect?  Unless he sort of is...he’s the guy SeoHui finds hanging in the shipping container?  I think KPY and the people behind the whole thing are 2 different things.  KPY doesn’t have the know how to hack her computer and the threat directed required her to become an Assemblywoman, she isn’t even in the running yet.  I think KPY is caught up in this whole thing and is a red herring.

The one who sent SH the video is the same person who cut JSH hand and not KPY. Could Mr Hong be the culprit because he was adamant that she run in the bi-election. 

The chairman looked clam watching that announcement on TV and looks like IDK is back. I thought he was stabbed by KPY  but he doesn't look injured. 

Woooh. I'm not done yet with episode 2. Just just starting.  I'm not looking at spoilers yet so haven't read  soompiers post in this thread so I'll check later and back read. I want to join in with the  disccusion.  My fav soompiers here. I know I'll understand the drama.

I'm done episode with episode  1 and sjust started episode 2 but wanted to just pause 5:50 secs.. just to post. Fantastic acting by Lee Yoo Young. I like her expression and reactions, and her emotions.  I like her since first time seeing her in Tunnel.  Didn't watch her previous drama but.. Watching this one now.

After watching episode 1 of this drama. I immediately know  I prefer this  over Leverage ( I already check two episodes but I FF scenes so.. can tell how I feel). I guess I like my drama to be more of substance. But that's just me.  Sorry  I can't think of the correct term so use susbtance but you what I mean. Okay back to the episode 2. And more once I'm done.

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

As suggested by @bebebisous33, Chairman Jeong might have wanted Assemblyman Kim dead.  He didn’t seem particularly devastated that SH was also “missing”.  Did he have people keep SH away in hiding (maybe his henchman and KPY?) because he knew SH would be against the “accidental death” of Assemblyman Kim?  Hence the cover up...with business trip... Somehow something went horribly wrong here, SH escapes (?), gets captured by some other party who were happy to amputate his hand as a warning.  Chairman Jeong would not have ordered this.  SH was his only son.  He was visibly shaken when the hand was identified as SH’s.  Hence his angry outburst telling his henchman to track down KPY and bring SH back alive.

Thanks for updating the timeline, made things clear for us.  JQ solar plant in Song-ju is a joint venture which required government oversight of the plant run by a private company. What JQ wants is someone that it can bend at its will.  Assemblyman Kim supported the unionmen who worked at the Mixed Concrete company.  He also is not one who supports big conglomerate and businesses so Sang Hoon was supposed to buffer the relationship for JQ.  Why kill him if you don't have a plan to replace with a man that will work for JQ? That's a little odd for me.  Why would JQ chairman kill his inlaw with no one to replace him?  Who was going to be their candidate?  Seo-Hee? But she is divorcing Sang Hoon.  BTW, Assemblyman Kim was going to leave his district seat open anyway if he wins so JQ could have waited until then to "shuttle" in its own candidate.  The person who kills Kim perhaps is doing the opposite, harming JQ's collaboration and progress.  I see all your points regarding a plan that originated by JQ to kill Kim went array with Sang Hoon going rogue.  We'll have to wait for the next episodes to see if the puppetmaster is a union sympathizer.

The only one that is computer savvy to send the msg for me at the moment is Ho-Kyu.  :lol:  I watched Secret of Forest, the person on your team is the person you least suspected @triplem Kim Yong Pil is being set up as the fall guy to make others see Kim's death and Sang Hoon's kidnap originated from the disgruntled union worker.

Why did Seo-Hee marry Sang Hoon? Is it out of love or to benefit her father?  Her mom did state that her father is not as honorable as we all think.  Did he win his district with JQ's help?

Going in back to the scene at Sang Hoon's apt.  As a photographer who shoots natural light, Sang Hoon would have some knowledge of lighting and solar paneling.  I am guessing he already has an idea of the alternative site for the solar plant.  

We still don't know how the dead girl is involved in our story.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 8.24.41 AMScreen Shot 2019-10-14 at 8.25.26 AM

Seo-Hee may know where he is hiding

@jongski welcome on board, good to see you.  Post away.

So I'm done with episode 2.  The mystery for this drama is who killed  the father, who kidnap and chop the hand of  the husband, who sent the video, and who is the mastermind behind all of these.

I like this drama already as I said in previous post. I like when drama has emotions that swirl around a solid storyplot and good characters like the reason SH is running,  the mystery with  the Father's death, and why husband is missing, wether he's alive or not  SH emotions  and her struggles situation.  I like the acting too for this. 

I feel for SH. Her life is just full of misery and tragedy with what happened to her father and to her husband. She was likely  pushed into marrying JSH for political and business partnership.  Her father was well loved and was going to run for President, JQ conglomerate needs politcal hold so they can do business without (as per Ep 1)

@bedifferent  Thanks. Same with you with Ho Gyu.  I think there is twist to this. We should also  not forget Ho Gyu used to work for JQ (as per episode 1). But it wasn't clear  and wasn't mentioned what kind of job he did. We do know he wanted to be transfered to the Information Division. So I'll assume he's good with computers. I mean writer wouldn't have his character be working for JQ previously for nothing. Maybe latter episodes we'll know.  It could be farfetch idea but this is kdrama,  you'll never know.  In Ep 2 scene s When SH opened her laptopomebody sent her a mysterious video of her husband and how the hands was chopped. Who could have sent it?

With the woman who commited suicide,  if we're going to base from the  scenes, after the suicide,  Sang Hoon was in despair, punching the  glass window, wailing crying, curled on the floor with bloody hands. Then his next scene is with Kim Seung Cheol, they were arguing.. and clearly it was about the one who commited suicide. SH telling father in law if he's afraid  his reputation will collapse in one blow  and that  she will never take her own life (as per sub) asking KSC doesn't even care or feel guilty of what happened . KSH said it won't change anything, to which Sang Hoon said whether it changes anything or not he will do everything in his power. Starts to ask "when did things that start to go wrong?  what is hidden?  Why did she have to suffer such tragedy (as per sub) then Sang Hoon said he will find out everything then left. I'm going to assume they were arguing about the woman who jumped  from the roof.  I wonfer if that woman is related to one of the characters.

The mystery for me is Young Min. Not sure what his character is. But we saw the photo with Sang Hoon. Then Seo Hui talking to him, about husband. Are they close.... SH and YM?  Afher her husband's argument with her father she followed him outside  She asked if he's seeing another woman. SH said she was going to hand divorce papers. We saw the papers  in the car. But it seems she loves her husband judging from the dream.

Anyway after watching episodes 1-2, and with everything that's been happening,  I suspect more the right hand man of the chairman.  After all he did say KSC brought them a lot of distress and now that the obstacle is gone, they need a new candidate , someone that can bend to their will (as per sub).  He's the one who shed tears (and I'm thinking if it's real), the one who pushed the enveloped to Seo Hui's mother, the one who was talking to them, asking/requesting/guilt tripping by saying how good KSC was, and that the party needed somebody from his family to continue legacy.  Of course he's doing this after what the chairman told him  when he handed the cactus

But I don't suspect yet the chairman, but he could be the mastermind.  These are just my theories I could be wrong.

So I enjoyed the mystery for this but if there's a gripe for me watching the first two episodes,  I find the short haired  lady partner investigator annoying. I like the efficiency of Tae Sik but I get irritated with the partner.

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

The chairman of JQ Group reproached his right-hand man In Dong Koo to be the cause of all this. This means that the latter had developed a strategy which the chairman approved but since his son has been hurt, in his eyes IDK is to blame. This makes me think that the chairman of JQ might have approved KSC's death, maybe in order to stop his son from investigating further. The woman had already been killed (faked suicide) but instead of destroying the alliance,  

What also caught my attention were the words In Dong Koo told to Kim Pil Yeon: "Where is JSH hiding?" 

Since we saw JSH running in the woods barefoot, it means that he was still close to Sonju. He definitely met someone else there.    

I'm thinking along these scenarios, based on the first two episodes and preview of the third one:

1) KSH can be the ultimate unreliable narrator because we are being shown flashbacks she remembers - that could be the biggest twist and also fit into the title 'Everyone's Lies / The lies within.' Maybe she has a double / split personality, kills everyone who comes near or between her and her husband, and father and husband were trying to protect her, but she killed them anyway. I also don't know why anyone would want her to run for anything, given her meek personality, when there is a successful (so we are told) elder daughter who has done well for herself and would be more presentable. HMK probably only wanted her to run to make her lose and then take the place of her father in the party. But for someone else to suggest it in a video means it could be KSH herself, telling herself to run for election.

2) JTS and KSH are a pair of serial killers pretending to not know each other but killing people left, right and center (highly unlikely at this point.)

3) JSH went into hiding and is working with someone to eradicate people who stand in his way - and is then double-crossed - shocking his wife. who will then kill him when he comes after her. 

4) The other scenario - and the only plausible one - is that despite the marriage being arranged between a politician and an industrialist (though we don't know how JSH and KSH two got together), JSH and KSH had a loving marriage and both will do anything for the other: the picture of sunset in his office is taken by KSH (a correct photograph of the same sunset is right next to KSH's photo in his office, which the investigator JTS notices on the shelf and actually does say how could a trained photographer take a bad shot.) JSH found out that his father was pressurizing KSH' father, KSC, over the land deal, so he came back to do the right thing. He and KSC find corruption and links between politicians and JQ (e.g. HMK or others and JQ chairman) which do not safeguard rights of citizens / workers, and set out to expose them. But he also finds out that he is not the only son of JQ chairman - (my guess is the suicide girl and young investigator, JHK are chairman's other children, that's why chairman simply told his right hand man IDK to 'handle' the situation - IDK killed the girl and abducted JSH so that he doesn't expose any secrets, KPY was holding him, but JSH escaped, and is then caught by the actual killer of KSH's father and his eventual hand-cutter - the young investigator JHK - who wants KSH to campaign because he knows she is the only one who will expose everything if he can bait her with getting her husband back alive. I think JSH is alive right now with an intact hand (the only reason why his hand was identified as his is the coroner, YSJ and I don't trust her; she probably is JHK's mother and lying), in the end JSH will end up dead, chairman will kill himself once exposed, JHK will either get caught or die, JYM will become the chairman of JQ industries and do the right thing for the workers, SH will continue to work as a congresswoman finding confidence and a voice, and JTS will hold a torch for her, possibly unrequited.

The reason why I'm suggesting JHK is the ultimate culprit / killer because this drama has the same setup as Secret Forest / Stranger, and an insider was the ultimate betrayer / killer in that one too. And everyone else is too obvious a suspect (especially JYM.) So when JTS and JHK went to the tea house to interview the owner, she said meaningful strange things to JHK's face (the man quarreling with JSH had a 'pungent smell,' and JHK asks her what does she want). He has killed KPY (whose dead body KSH stumbles upon in the container), and will continue to kill others for protection or revenge.

There is no other reason to make sure KSH finds each body, and is at the center of everything, and that she be blackmailed into running for office 'if she wants to see her husband alive.' At least not logically. (and in the preview JTS asks himself why she is everything is circling around KSH) JYM and IDK etc. are all red herrings. Besides IDK's future as an alive person is very slim too (so is the tea house owner's.)

I am getting tired of KSH's screams at every turn. But I think the writers are showing that she may be meek on the outside but has a ticking brain and is brave and self-sufficient, while others see her as a problem. Though the writers are also setting up poor lead detective JTS to have his heart broken! 

I think the female detective is fine because every female on TV doesn't have to be serious or super smart - women can be faulty and shallow and still be part of investigative teams! 

7 hours ago, triplem said:

I liked that dream scenario , it was particularly moving ( oh yeah they would definitely match if they did a romance melodrama) .Unless the drama is intending to confuse us, Sang Hun and Seo Hui seemed like a couple in love. The little notes he kept , picture of her in his Songju apartment. They were already apart when he lived in Songju , so he must have still loved her very much to have those things with  him. Which means whatever he is doing - keeping her away from him, not letting her know what is going is to protect her. Someone threatened him (his dad?) ...

That dream sequence means something.  Initially I was wondering if her meeting the Father in law in the rain was real and the second part where she meets SHoon the dream?  But seeing she is dressed in the same outfit both times I assume it’s meant to be one long dream?  Or maybe part of it is real and she’s just replaying it in her mind.  Also how it plays out is strange (I don’t know if it’s the fault of editing or intentional)

Scene opens with her walking in the rain (no umbrella), she’s soaked.  Chairman Jeong emerges from the car with an umbrella (just one) and meets her in the street (wall on one side).  Is it outside the Jeong residence?

Jeong - Hey.  SeoHui.

SHui - Father.

Then there’s an abrupt scene change, he extends his hand and offers her his handkerchief.  This is no longer at the same spot in the first meeting above.  There is a railing beside them and they are BOTH holding umbrellas (is this intentional or an editing fault?).  She takes the handkerchief.

Jeong - O dear, why were you walking around all alone in the rain?

SHui - (silent)

Jeong - you must be devastated. I can’t even imagine.  Even I am having such a hard time. You must be utterly distraught.  I saw the news.  

SHui - Father,  how could someone do such a thing?  Just for a reason like that... how could someone do that?

Jeong - you get blinded by a single thing you lose even when you have 100 other things.  It’s human nature.  But I understand.  Even I am having such a hard time believing it when I am fully aware of that.

SHui - I’m sorry Father.  Father I’m sorry.  The day I last saw SHoon,  I was so mean to him.  What if I never see him again?

Jeong - No.  That won’t happen.  I know that SHoon will come back.  I’m sure of it. 

(he reaches over and places his hand on her arm to comfort her and repeats) I’m sure he’ll come back. So don’t worry.  All right?

SHui - Okay.

Scene changes again.  Back to original place with the wall.  This time she holds an umbrella and is walking alone.  She sees SHoon with an umbrella calls out “SHoon” and runs to him, leaps into his arms.

SHoon - you’ve gotten quite heavy. (I love this.  The fact that he can banter means they did love each other.  She gets off him and then launches a tirade)

SHui - Hey!!  Where have you been??  Tell me!  I have been so anxious waiting for you!  Why didn’t you answer your phone?  Why did you do this to me?  Where the heck have you been?

(he hugs her as she starts to cry).  You’re such a jerk!!

SHoon - I’m sorry

SHui - I’ve been desperately waiting for you.

SHoon - I missed you.  I really missed you.

SHui - I missed you too.  I missed you too SHoon!  I missed you so much!  Let me see. (She breaks alway from his embrace to look at his hand)  Are you alright? (She is deliriously happy that he still has his hand and kisses it, relieved).  I’m so relieved.  I am so glad you’re back.

(she wakes)

Jeong knows SHoon is safe (at this point in time).  He keeps promising her that SHoon will come back.  I don’t think he’s just being delusional here.  He would go through great lengths to ensure the safety of his son- this was his only son, the only person who could inherit his empire?  Who would benefit in JQ from SHoon being out of the picture?  His Friend (YeongMin?), the other guy (Im)?  Also his statement about “being blinded by one thing you lose”, could that also be him referencing himself?  Jeong staged the “accident” of Assemblyman Kim because he too has “one thing he could lose”?  His empire?  His Son?

I think the divorce is an attempt on SHoon’s part to distance SHui from the danger he and Assemblyman Kim have embroiled themselves in.  Think about it.  If you wanted both men (Assemblyman Kim and SHoon) under your control, you would threaten the one thing both value - SHui.  So she was the target.  Both men sacrificed to keep her out play?  That’s what it looks like to me as it stands now. 

Also I went ahead to translate the character briefs for JQ because I feel like we need to know the dynamics of these characters for context.  (Apologies for consecutive post but last post was long so I didn’t want to make it even longer)

Jin YeongMin

He became the head of JQ's new business team in recognition of his gentle and caring character and ability. Sang-hoon and he have been close since they were young, and he cherishes and loves Sang-hoon as if he were a Brother. When Sang-hoon disappears, he worries about Seo-hee, who falls apart, and helps her find him.

Im DongGu (the hit man who attacks KPY)

I met Jeong Young-moon, chairman of JQ Group, on the day my parents decided to lost their lives (?) because they were on a downward spiral, they were saddled with huge debts. In that way, Im Dong-gu becomes Jeong Young-moon’s right-hand man, and is loyal to him.

Chairman Jeong YeongMun

Self-made entrepreneur and founder of JQ Group. Unlike the image of an ordinary conglomerate chairman, he appears to have a generous and strong character. He cares deeply about Sang-hoon, the reader, and is warm to his daughter-in-law, Seo-hee. He suffers from panic over Sang-hoon's disappearance and subsequent incidents.

And because some shade has been thrown at him by @noor1  and @bedifferent and @jongski really everyone’s a suspect here and because he had ties with JQ, the hypothesis is plausible (English subs are weird here, especially in the end)

Jeon HoKyu

A police officer originally from JQ conglomerate. He is so proud that his relationship with others is not great, but he has never missed the top prize in his school days because of his intelligence and is assigned to the Seoul Metropolitan Government's investigation support and senior post as a promotion district after passing the police official exam. He applied for Kwangsoo University because of the National Forensic Service hacking incident, but joined Taesik's team as a ridiculous opportunity.

I enjoyed those first two episodes - definitely has my interest. As expected it was a very plot driven first two episodes to get the story going but looking forward to finding out about the two leads and getting some character development. For the ML feel like we only know his mom has cancer and that's h'e''s moving offices to presumably care for her. I've seen him in the film Shoot my Heart and he was very good.

The painting the ML sees when he goes into the missing guys house (ep 1 or 2 I've forgotten) and says there's something wrong with it, did he infer something from it in that scene or do we think it's something they'll come back to? Could't tell if I missed something there but just fell odd for them to point it out.

A very small thing that I'm hoping is just a case of getting used to it - the FL's speech I find a bit off and it's distracting, she sounds childlike and I can't tell if it's for her character or just how the actress speaks

The body she finds is probably the worker that set himself on fire that they're looking for.

Archived