[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

Agree with all your excellent points everyone!

@ktcjdrama  you reminded me of something I overlooked.  Excellent.  Thanks.  I am pretty sure Sang Hoon was stripped of his phone when he was abducted on 3/3.  Who used his phone to text Seo Hui on 3/7, the day of the hand delivery and Tae Sik's visit?  Plus, how can Sang Hoon text when he is in so much pain?  :huh:

Why didn't the detectives think of ping-ing Sang Hoon's last phone location?  More important for Seo Hui to share with TS everything.

@nrllee @40somethingahjumma @taeunfighting  sadly, Kdrama is bad for your health :lol:

Spoiler

IMG_3784

torn between smoky soy and garlic craze...

@taeunfighting anytime, anytime... whenever you are in my neighborhood of SoCal, please PM me :lol:

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png@40somethingahjumma @taeunfighting In my opinion, when the commissioner met YDY, I doubt that the former was well aware of YDY's involvement. First, the superior told him: "It's nothing serious. I guess, there are some silly rumors because JSH's eyeball was sent to the entertainment department [of Bareun news]." And notice the captain's reaction. image.png He avoids the commissioner's gaze and looks down. I interpreted this reaction as a sign of guilty conscience. So YDY reveals here in that moment that he knows the reason why the eyeball appeared there.

Furthermore, since the commissioner used the words "silly rumors" and "nothing serious", he gave me the impression that he doesn't know the whole story. Sure, his words about JTS sound more like a warning ("the guy I recommended... he is talented and he is so strong-willed"), he wants JTS to stop investigating deeper.

However, I suspect that the man is not aware of YDY's real actions. Because if this was discovered, then he as the head of the Seoul police would have to take his responsibility for this corruption. The commissioner might be one of those who order his men not to be too implicated but he didn't ask YDY to cover up something.

That's why I don't think that YDY lied to JTS to stop digging because he was asked by his superior. YDY had another reason. Besides, this exchange between them happened before we get the scene where both were at CSH's flat. In my opinion, the director and the writer wanted the viewers to think that YDY was just a cop who tried to follow orders and wanted to survive. Lies Within.png

In reality, this scene underlines how far YDY manipulated JTS with this investigation. First, how did he know that the pills were antidepressants? He read "Fluorextine" and from that he knew the  purpose of the medicine???

Then he was asked by JTS to look for a prescription but the captain didn't do it. JTS only noticed that the prescription was missing after suspecting that the journalist had been murdered. He relied on YDY in the first place. Finally, the last words ("That's it... this is your last case") spoken by the captain outline that YDY is actually the one closing the case and not the other way around.

If there were honest words from YDY addressed to JTS, I believe that's when he said: " You (JTS) might get just disciplined but I (YDY) might be discharged. [...] I have 5 people in my family to support". If his true actions were discovered, he would lose his job and he is right. And the fact that he is the only breadwinner makes me think that this was the reason why YDY was IDG's minion in the first place. He was bought by IDG so that he could earn more money. Yet, he mixes his genuine worries with JTS with lies: he should have been more careful and made a little mistake.

The parents of the victim disagreed with the conclusion and went to the police. They said that they told the officer that CSH couldn't have committed suicide based on their conversation over the phone. If JTS had met her parents, I doubt that JTS would have accepted the suicide as cause of death. So the parents must have met YDY who dismissed them. JTS was a little suspicious back then but due to YDY's manipulations, he closed the case. If he had heard the parents' testimony, he would have investigated deeper. His suspicious are visible because he remembered immediately the presence of the two glasses... and 3 months had already passed!!!  

@triplem @bedifferent @nrllee

@bebebisous33 yeah I think the Police Commissioner just needed a fall guy. He’s another Pontius Pilate.   :huh:.  Veiled threats to weak willed people are your best defence if anything goes wrong.  Then you can just imply that the person misheard you or misinterpreted your intentions.

TaeSik trusted his SunBae even though he picked up discrepancies at the crime scene. The fact that his mind was already in retirement mode didn’t help.  So for him to man up to his past mistake is courageous, plus he had the added burden of overcoming the guilt trip he was sent on by YDY’s sob story. 

@bedifferent you’re making my mouth water. :lol:.  Why not have both?  All those calories are a necessity to feed the brain.  And yours is functioning overtime building that timeline.  

Who used his phone to text Seo Hui on 3/7, the day of the hand delivery and Tae Sik's visit? 

Wouldn’t IDG have his phone?  He was the one who abducted him from the Teahouse?

On 11/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, bedifferent said:

He walked by the angel under the lights, looking more determined to bring justice and redemption for the mistake.  It's like his mother was his guardian angel guiding him to do the right thing in the scene.

Thanks for bringing this up; I loved the imagery in this scene and as many have said Tae-sik wrestling with his conscience was a powerful turning point. (Kudos Lee Min-ki being so wonderfully understated in how he portrayed it).

My initial thought on seeing the angel was that it might be a reminder of the Archangel Michael, especially in how he is holding the lamp, almost like a sword. Michael is connected with protection and fighting the forces of evil and a quick check affirms that he also happens to be the patron saint of police officers. It's a nice resonance regardless of whether the location scouts intentionally sought that out.

24 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

First, the superior told him: "It's nothing serious. I guess, there are some silly rumors because JSH's eyeball was sent to the entertainment department [of Bareun news]." And notice the captain's reaction. He avoids the commissioner's gaze and looks down. I interpreted this reaction as a sign of guilty conscience. So YDY reveals here in that moment that he knows the reason why the eyeball appeared there.

In reality, this scene underlines how far YDY manipulated JTS with this investigation. 

It's uncomfortable to think that the Captain might have been perverting the course of justice this much. But the body language and the casual way in which he brushed things off say a great deal. I dunno, I'm pretty new to Korean dramas and I'm actually quite disturbed by how often police corruption seems to feature in shows. I know everything in fiction is exaggerated, but assuming I'm looking at a random sample of K shows (slice of life, gag comedy, thrillers) it's weird how consistently badly the police are portrayed? I can expect this with politicians and lawyers/prosecutors, but it's quite a departure from Western, Japanese and Chinese shows where it's a little more balanced. [/end detour]

14 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Who used his phone to text Seo Hui on 3/7, the day of the hand delivery and Tae Sik's visit? 

Wouldn’t IDG have his phone?  He was the one who abducted him from the Teahouse?

Good point.  Let's assume it was IDG texting Seo Hui to assure her that he is not dead.  Why didn't he continue to text her since now that 2 body parts have shown up.  Maybe IDG doesn't have Sang Hoon?

New stills for this weekend.

98285549.2.jpgCredit:  sportsdonga

@AC95 thank you for the bits about Archangel Michael.  Bless and protect those who risk their lives for our peace and order.  LMK is doing good in this drama.  When I first heard about this show, I was thrilled that LMK reunited with his old PD Lee Yoon Jung.  Their first project together Taerung National Village was a gem.

Yeah I don’t think IDG has him.  Why would he have gone after KPY to “find” SHoon after SHoon broke out of the hospital?  He would’ve just killed him there and then if he (IDG) already knew where he was.

SHoon’s cover (provided by JQ) was that he was in Germany.  That was what JQ was selling to everyone whilst he was in the hospital. 

@bebebisous33 Thank you for the detailed explanation and screenshots. It must be that we happen to interpret the scene between YDY and his superior differently. When the superior brought up the eyeball incident at the news company to YDY and said it was putting him in a tight spot, I took YDY looking down from his superior as he knew he was failing to kept CSH’s case closed as his superior had wanted. When he told YDY that the “silly rumors” about Sang Hun and CSH (I think)  were “nothing serious”, it seemed the superior wanted YDY to believe that they weren’t dismissing anything heinous. In a later scene, we see the superior meeting with the chairman and the chairman instructs the superior to do what he was asked to do. So, my assumption was that the superior was directly working with JQ while the pressure to keep CSH’s case buried rolled down to YDY.

About the pills, I'm not all the way there yet that YDY may have planted it, but I do think that he steered Tae Sik away from it to quickly close the case as a suicide. Obviously, if they had just diligently paid attention to the details and truly did investigative work, it clearly was a murder disguised as a suicide.

It's true that 3 months had passed which is quite a long time. While it's a huge mistake on Tae Sik's part by initially overlooking the prescription and two drinking glasses, I still commend him for going against YDY's orders to re-investigate knowing the chaos it was going to cause at the police department. From that perspective, he didn't disappoint me as there are people out there who would rather choose to keep their mistakes hidden.

This is what I took away from episode 8. It's possible that I'm not able to see through YDY like you can.

@taeunfighting Yes, pressure was coming from the superior. However, the commissioner knew who was pushing for a deeper investigation. Not YDY but JTS!! The warning was against JTS and not YDY. So the commissioner was just asking YDY to tame JTS/ refrain him. If something went wrong, the commissioner would put the blame on JTS than on YDY. And this is going to happen...

Nevertheless, YDY has more to fear than the pressure, especially when you see his reaction.

I can not blame JTS for concluding CSH's case as a suicide because in my eyes, he had been really manipulated by YDY. Even if the captain didn't bring the bottle himself, he knew what was going on. So he is guilty. Then he never searched for the prescription too. JTS's mistake is to trust too much his superior and rely too much on him. That's why YDY could manipulate him so easily. 

2 Unanswered Questions Viewers Want To Uncover In “The Lies Within”

Nov 9, 2019
by P. Lee

190421f8bbd14cdebb00ff8af8d764e6.jpeg?s=

OCN’s “The Lies Within” recently reached a turning point.

With Jo Tae Shik (Lee Min Ki) and Kim Seo Hee (Lee Yoo Young) solving the death of Congressman Kim Seung Chul (Kim Jong Soo) and the disappearance of Jung Sang Hoon (Lee Joon Hyuk) step by step, and Choi Soo Hyun’s (Kim Yong Ji) case, which is believed to be the beginning of it all, slowly uncovering, there is soon going to be a huge reveal. Before watching the upcoming episodes, there are two unanswered questions that viewers are dying to know.

Will Jung Sang Hoon come back home alive?

Jo Tae Shik and Kim Seo Hee are both chasing after the missing Jung Sang Hoon. The truth that has been revealed so far is that the day Congressman Kim passed away, Jung Young Moon (Moon Chang Gil), the chairman of JQ Group, and Seo Hyun Woo (In Dong Goo) admitted Jung Sang Hoon to a mental hospital, and three days later, he escaped. But shortly after, Jung Sang Hoon disappeared, and his hand, foot, and eye were delivered to three different locations. According to the autopsy, the crimes occurred while Jung Sang Hoon was alive, and at the end of episode 8, we saw Jung Sang Hoon alive and a complete mess. Will he survive and go back to Kim Seo Hee?

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1364525wpp/2-unanswered-questions-viewers-want-to-uncover-in-the-lies-within

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Yeah I don’t think IDG has him.  Why would he have gone after KPY to “find” SHoon after SHoon broke out of the hospital?  He would’ve just killed him there and then if he (IDG) already knew where he was.

IDG would want to make his death looked like suicide. It would fit with his profile of being a gambler and in debt. People, the police and especially the ex union members will be suspicious if he was killed. Remember that someone tried to set the building where he was hiding on fire. I also think that CCD was tricked into buying the petrol at the gas station so that he will be caught on the CCTV. 

I would like to correct what I said earlier in my post that IDG reported KPY's death to the chairman. Actually it was CCD. IDG said that he took care of him.

In fact the chairman asked YM if KPY'S death was actually a suicide and then went on to tell YM to keep a close watch on IDG, he thinks that IDG is plotting something behind his back. 

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

am pretty sure Sang Hoon was stripped of his phone when he was abducted on 3/3.  Who used his phone to text Seo Hui on 3/7, the day of the hand delivery and Tae Sik's visit? 

Did the message actually came in on 3/7 or was she just looking at SangHun's previous text? Was there a date?

5 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Did the message actually came in on 3/7 or was she just looking at SangHun's previous text? Was there a date?

Now that you mentioned it, I went to rewatch. It’s true it wasn’t shown that she received the message right then. She opened up a previous message. It happened on the evening before the memorial actually, so it was on 3/6 when she read the message. @bedifferent

Just finished episode 9. I'm putting some thoughts hidden in case no one wants to be spoiled.

Spoiler

Episode 9 was really confusing to me in terms of the dynamics between the chairman, IDG and YM. The chairman and his advisor were having a conversation during a car ride and his advisor asked him who would he have to take the fall when truth about the past is revealed. (The past must be what Sang Hun, KSC and CSH were working on revealing together.) The chairman talks about the strengths and weaknesses about IDG and YM. IDG is too forward, but he doesn't doubt his loyalty. YM is greedy, but he quick-witted. The advisor says that YM has a good sense of reality and will lean toward wherever is advantageous so if the chairman treats YM him well, YM won't turn his back on him. I guess the chairman is keeping both IDG and YM close for his advantage.

In a later scene, YM is formally announced as the CEO at company event. We see the chairman give YM a pat of approval. IDG sees this, but seems expressionless. YM has a flashback of Sang Hun. Sang Hun angrily barges in his office saying that the new HQ cannot be in Song Ju. YM knows this better than anyone. Sang Hun further says that CSH was doing the right thing. She was the closest person to YM. Can he abandon her? YM says that he only does things that help him survive and acknowledges that he's already told the chairman what Sang Hun, KSC and CSH are planning. YM says he knows he (himself) will never change. Sang Hun then leaves. It makes me wonder when this conversation took place. If Sang Hun knew that YM had already betrayed them, why did he call YM when he borrowed the mental hospital's phone?

Jin Yeong and Ho Gyu secretly continues to help Tae Sik investigate CSH's case. They find out that CSH was in Song Ju before she died. She was staying with friend there while working on her story. Hearing this, Tae Sik decides to head off to Song Ju to investigate. As he was about to get into his car, Seo Hui comes to see him and ends up following along with him to Song Ju. She shares with him that it was YM who ordered Bareun to shut CSH's story down. They finally realize that CSH, KSC and Sang Hun's cases are all connected, especially with JQ. While in Song Ju, they find out through CSH's friend that she went to the Song Ju station often. What's strange is that the station is no longer operating. It turns out through CCTV footages that CSH and Sang Hun have been secretly meeting there likely to exchange information through a locker. The items in the locker (books) were given to the local library. As they were heading there to investigate, Tae Sik gets a call from Jin Yeong warning him that internal affairs are investigating them for forging a document. Tae Sik heads back to the station while Seo Hui heads into the library. She was able to get her hands on the books in the locker and finds a thumb drive hidden in one of them. When she boots it up on her laptop, she finds a long list of names. A henchman spying on Seo Hui's laptop sees this and immediately informs IDG. He tells the henchman to get started right away. Her laptop then crashes. She immediately pulls out the the drive and drives off to find Tae Sik. She tries calling him multiple times, but it's hopeless as Tae Sik is being interrogated by internal affairs. While this is all happening, YM gets a call from a Mr. Lee  informing him of something IDG did. He tells him to follow IDG. A car ends up crashing into Seo Hui's car. She is alive, but as she is about to fall unconscious, she sees a mysterious person get out the vehicle, but her vision is not clear. Episode ends here.

In the preview, it looks like everyone is okay. Tae Sik and team along with Seo Hui are still investigating. They seem to be trying to recover the information on the thumb drive and figure out what is key behind the list of names. YM and IDG still seem to be up to no good.

@bebebisous33 Regarding YDY, there is something odd about him. He still tries to plead with Tae Sik not to reinvestigate and to go back to his hometown. He says this is the only way for him to live and not turn his back on Tae Sik. Later, there is a scene of him eating at home with his wife and daughter. The wife notices that the daughter has new headphones and assumed YDY had bought it for her. The daughter says no, but that a man who told her he is a friend of YDY gifted it to her. He also gave her his business card. YDY takes a look at it and sees that it's IDG. He immediately leaves the table and goes into the bedroom. It seems IDG is taunting/threatening YDY with his family's safety.

Edited to add: I continue to love Tae Sik. We get an even more deeper sense of his emotional struggle with sister’s disappearance and death. In the opening scene, we see a shamanic ritual taken place and young Tae Sik and his mother are in tears pleading for her to return back to them. You can tell that Tae Sik has blamed himself for her kidnapping throughout his life. During Tae Sik and Seo Hui’s drive through Song Ju, they see a shamanic ritual taking place and both talk about their views on it. This leads Tae Sik to share his sister’s tragedy with Seo Hui and he tells her he understands how she feels right now. I thought it was a great moment between the two characters.

Thank you everyone, for the EXCELLENT comments & analysis! They are so awesome that I really have no more words to add!! Except that I totally am in the camp of @bedifferent - I don’t think SH is masterminding all this - he wouldn’t do this to his wife.

Spoiler

Also I think CSH & YM were  lovers ... (cos in the flashback, JSH stated that CSH was the most important person in YM’s life ...)

And I am still trying to look for the OST sung by a male singer - featured in episode 7 or 8!) 
Why is there no other OST released besides the first one by Donna?? 
And Lee Min Ki is just SO WONDERFUL!! Love his acting!!

I'm still reeling from episode9 lollol

For the first time its revealed  with certainty the chairman's true colours. Such a despicable character. He is playing YoungMin and InDongu pitching one against the other. I wonder if he will be doing this iif SangHun is his real son and what could the advisor be referring to when he said 'when the past comes to light who will you choose to take the falll?' omg this man should burn in hell.

I can understand InDongu doing those heinous stuff but YM is completely twisted. Well is it okay forsomeone to ditched his  girlfriend and cover up her murder. In truth YM was abandoned twice once by the chairman in favour of SangHun then his girlfriend abandoneds him to joins hands with SangHunn to stop the New Business OMG!  Lol he is beyond redemption. Was that him hitting SeoHui's car?  

Choisuyeon's artice was the  key to the three murders, KimSeungCheol, KangPilYeon and Choisuyeon. It looks like a list of names. Essentially the higher ups who have a stake in the New Business are going to stop the article at all cost. I can see a tough time ahead for JTS and team minus DaeYong. I am not going to say I can understand this guy. He is being pressured up down left right and centre. He can at least let JTS do the investigation quietly if he truly has a conscience.

Already at ep9 I don't think that the writers are going to introduce a new character at this point. So who is doing this limb cutting act? It's either YoungMin or InDongu. Okay maybe I should go put up a board of this two twisted minds 

4 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Already at ep9 I don't think that the writers are going to introduce a new character at this point.

there’s that delivery man (of the eye) that nobody’s been able to identify yet?  Or has he already appeared and we just couldn’t tell who he was because of the helmet?

oh wow!! i just notice after a re watch that one of the title of the books SeoHoui got from the Sonju Library is "Why does Stockholm Syndrome happen?

I googled this up Stockholm syndrome is a psychological condition that occurs when a victim of abuse identifies and attaches, or bonds, positively with their abuser. This syndrome was originally observed when hostages who were kidnapped not only bonded with their kidnappers, but also fell in love with them.

Could those people in the list be victims of kidnapping and abuse? SangHun and YM maybe victims too.

there’s that delivery man (of the eye) that nobody’s been able to identify yet?  Or has he already appeared and we just couldn’t tell who he was because of the helmet?

he could be one of the victims.

sorry @nrllee i wanted to quote you in the same post but i can't add it on after editing.

Just finished watching the latest episode.

@taeunfighting @Guyangi_Dalpeongi  Like many kdrama detectives, little Taesik chose police career due to a personal reason, to find his sister. The guilt weighed heavily on him all these years, feeling responsible for bringing pain and tragedy to his family.  The scene of him and mommy crying was heartbreaking.  Equally painful was seeing the adult Taesik reacting after every missing person case in hope that it would be his sister and the relief/frustration that it still is not her.  He cannot give up the search and feels no closure until she is found.  He speaks the agonizing nightmare of every person whoever had a missing person in his/her life.  The toll it takes to continue hoping for the return, how that hope slowly dwindled over the year to eventually change to a wish for a confirmation of anything.  Anything to bring closure so that the family can know how to properly let go and move on.  His case may never be solved before he transfers out but if in anyway at all, he must prevent Seo Hui from becoming like him years from now.  Because he has the responsibility and can find her missing husband so that she doesn’t have to suffer like him.  

For Taesik, it’s more than just a matter of right and wrong, he lives by the altruism code.

@imgreatgal Nice catch about the book entitled "Stockholm syndrome". :wub: I had mentioned it before, when I wrote that JSH might suffer from Stockhom syndrome hence he would kind of agree with the kidnapper about his mutilations (the eye and the foot). The surgery of the eye and foot were done differently, less brutal...

So the chairman is letting JYM and IDG fight against each other. It looks like the chairman is a follower of the theory "social darwinism". Let the strongest man survive. This theory was developed in the 19th century and some scientists thought that the Darwinism, a theory developed by Charles Darwin (Darwinism: all species of organisms arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual's ability to compete, survive, and reproduce) should be applied to humans as well.

Striking is that JYM even spoke about "survival" in front of JSH and the chairman JYM is determined to have his successor selected after fighting for this. In other words, JYM thinks, the battle for the new business and succession should be perceived as a natural selection. No wonder why the chairman JYM loves "nature" and was seen taking care of a small bird. In reality, JYM put the bird back because he wanted to see him fight for his life. As a conclusion, the chairman is brutal and cruel.

But the fact that JYM mentioned that he is doing everything in order to survive (that's why he was described as someone who would always side with the strongest one) appears to indicate that JYM has in fact been brainwashed by the chairman. So should the viewer consider him as someone suffering from Stockholm Syndrome as well? I guess so. He has adopted the chairman's values: denunciation, betrayal, abandonment. Based on the preview he seems to reproach IDG not to have KSH killed right away... so he is even willing to lose a close friend just for his own interest. 

@taeunfighting I interpreted the scene with YDY and the headphone a little differently. Sure, IDG was somehow threatening YDY but in my opinion, it was more like a reminder. The fact that the daughter received such an expensive gift indicates that IDG used to give money to YDY. Have you seen the flat the captain is living in? It looks quite expensive for a family with 5 people. But now, IDG did it more openly in order to pressure YDY to press charges against JTS and the others. He is the one who accused his team to have forged a document.

But what caught my attention during this episode is the history of JQ:

- 1989: Jeonggeon Metal was established

- 1993: There was a new factory in Gangwon Province

- 1994: Jeonggeon Metal became Jeonggeon Steelwork (an indication of growth)

- 1997: Jeonggeon Trades

- 1999: Jeonggeon Constructions

- 2001: Jeonggeon Chemicals

- 2003: a new factory in North Gyeongsang Province

Then we hear from JSH that the headquarters should never move to Songju. So something bad must have happened there. Songju is part of North Gyeongsang Province. This means that the opening of the factory must have caused harm to the local population. CSH's friend had a sister who was terminally ill, then we see many shaman rituals showing that people are desperate and praying for someone's sake. I come to the conclusion that many people have been infected by the factory. This would explain why the chairman says that JYM will have to take the fall if this is discovered.

To sum up, JSH and the others wanted to reveal a scandal concerning an environmental and health issue caused by JQ.

Nevertheless, I doubt that the mastermind behind the manipulations is someone who wanted to use JSH to pressure KSH so that JQ would get what the company needed. If so, the perpetrator wouldn't have sent the eye to Bareun news which led the investigators to reopen CSH's case.

No, I have the impression that the mastermind is playing the same game than JYM and IDG but in the shadow. He makes them turn against each other... Notice that JQ is putting more and more pressure on the police and it becomes even more obvious. At some point, JQ won't be able to handle the media and the police. Let us not forget that Seo Hui is now a congresswoman and she can get the support of the media and the population.

Archived