[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

That was probably the most interesting episode yet. I think the reason for that is that for the first time since starting on this drama I actually feel like I finally know what the show is actually about. I don't normally feel confused but the earlier episodes confused me because so many of aspects of it felt disparate and disconnected. There have been so many red herrings since the start. The graft, the missing man, the body parts etc. It's been a tangley web of knowns and uknowns. The fact that the most suspicious people don't know what the heck is going on and are being played like fiddles makes me think that this isn't about them. Everyone's suspecting each other which makes me think that there's something else going on that they absolutely have no control over. Smart men... with well-ordered... or obsessively well-ordered existence are being yanked around like puppets to dance to someone else's tune.

I'm gradually returning to the depressing conclusion that Sang-hun is no longer among the living and he is (or what's left of him is anyhow) being parcelled out to keep a lot of people on edge, primarily to get them to react and keep them jumpy. Macabre I know. Still so far he/she/they seem to be succeeding. 

So it's back to being about the lass who took a swan dive off the roof of a high rise in Episode 1. She's obviously at the centre of what the body parts are trying to point to. 

I venture to speculate that Yeong-min has never been jealous of Sang-hun except with regards to Seo-hui. Why do I think this? He's a good-looking, well-to-do man and he lives alone in that really nice big house. Yeong-min does seem genuinely to care a great deal about her as well and he was noticeably quiet when the last question during the polygraph test was posed to him by Seo-hui. I don't know why but I was oddly reminded of a rom com (not sure why I'm thinking of rom coms while watching murder and mayhem on OCN) that was popular in the 1990s called While You Were Sleeping. There's a scene in which the male lead talks to his brother who is lying in a coma telling him that even though his brother had been much more successful academically and professionally... he was never jealous of him until now ie. the arrival of Lucy on the scene. 

The two men were as thick as thieves. The Sister at the orphanage described them as being like brothers and YM seemed content to play second fiddle to SH in their adult years.

Of course alternatively YM could have resented S-hui's intrusion into their relationship... but I don't know enough of him to say definitively if he had strong feelings for S-hun either. 

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of S-hui... and not particularly a fan of how she's been written. But I can imagine that she would be the innocent, unworldly type that some men go for. She would arouse their protective instincts especially if their common environment is a dog-eat-dog situation. On top of that, you have two orphan boys who haven't had an easy time of it. I can see how a nice, sympathetic girl like S-hui would have appeal for some. She's not the conniving type... she's exactly what she seems.

Anyway the bit that's most heartening is that SH is now trusting Tae-shik a lot more. It's long overdue. But better late than never. ;) Frankly, she doesn't have too many choices left to her. She has been treated like a mushroom and she's probably the most powerless person in the room.

For me Tae-shik is a great character, really well-played by Lee Min Gi. He continues to demonstrate his thoughtfulness, quiet intelligence and surprisingly effective leadership skills. He was right to chastise Ho Gyu who was rather overly confident and occasionally smug. Detective work isn't just about superior reasoning and plausible deductions, it's also about paying attention to the details and doing the hard work of following leads. 

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I don’t remember him running away in his hospital garb though?  When we first saw him running barefoot in the earlier episode (or we would’ve guessed straight away he broke out of a hospital?)?  He was in normal clothes?  Where did he get them?  Did he go find KPY?

This baffles me as well . I think the 1st scene in eps 1 of SH running in normal clothes are just what the detectives are projecting . 

22 minutes ago, nrllee said:

- YM was supposed to head the business team In JQ but SH took that spot from him.  The guy Chairman Jeong asked to keep a watch on YM is actually on YM’s side?

YM was the one who did all the hard work of preparing the proposal etc but SH suddenly decided to come back . So that’s why In that flashback car scene YM felt not too happy when SH told him he has spoken to chairman about the new business. Yes , I think the guy is working for YM. What baffles me is that SH seems happy in that car scene with YM.  YM teased him saying he should stop playing house with Seo Hui & return to help Chairman but didn’t he come back after Seo Hui did and it was months apart ? 

And the delivery guy for the eyeball , he looked rather sinister to me rather than shaken . 

7 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

For me Tae-shik is a great character, really well-played by Lee Min Gi. He continues to demonstrate his thoughtfulness, quiet intelligence and surprisingly effective leadership skills. He was right to chastise Ho Gyu who was rather overly confident and occasionally smug. Detective work isn't just about reasoning and logic, it's also about paying attention to the details and doing the hard work of following leads. 

I agree.  He’s the star in this drama.  I love his character.  Methodical, intelligent and attentive.  I wonder when he will catch on that his Sunbae detective is a dirty cop.

And yes to the lady who took a swan dive in Ep1.  Was she pushed?  Seemed so weird to have her suicide note neatly typed and placed under a rock some distance away from her “launch” site.  She seems to have made a reappearance this recent ep...she rang IDG?  Probably not her but the person who pushed her - he/she has her phone?

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

I don’t remember him running away in his hospital garb though?  When we first saw him running barefoot in the earlier episode (or we would’ve guessed straight away he broke out of a hospital?)?  He was in normal clothes?  Where did he get them?  Did he go find KPY?

28 minutes ago, triplem said:

This baffles me as well . I think the 1st scene in eps 1 of SH running in normal clothes are just what the detectives are projecting . 

i thought about that too. It couldn't be an oversight by the writer/director. I think JSH had been admitted to the mental ward and escaped several times in the past. Maybe that was what the writer was indicating to us. 

2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

That was probably the most interesting episode yet. I think the reason for that is that for the first time since starting on this drama I actually feel like I finally know what the show is actually about. I don't normally feel confused but the earlier episodes confused me because so many of aspects of it felt disparate and disconnected. There have been so many red herrings since the start. The graft, the missing man, the body parts etc. It's been a tangley web of knowns and unknowns. The fact that the most suspicious people don't know what the heck is going on and are being played like fiddles makes me think that this isn't about them. Everyone's suspecting each other which makes me think that there's something else going on that they absolutely have no control over. Smart men... with well-ordered... or obsessively well-ordered existence are being yanked around like puppets to dance to someone else's tune.

That's exactly how I felt it too. The persons who seemed to control everything in the shadow before (Chairman, YM and IDG) have become selves pawns and have no control over the situation. More and more, they are put in the light of the events so that their wrongdoings and their fakeness get more obvious. The chairman doubts everyone around him, YM and IDG are at each other's throats.

Like you, I didn't like Seo Hui very much due to her naivety which made her look stupid. On the other hand, now I understand why the writer made her that way. Because of her transparency, JTS trusted her and gave her all his info so that SH started trusting him. In the end, I think, SH will be the biggest helper in the investigation. First, she was the one who told him about JYM's past at the orphanage. She gave him the reason why JYM would betray JSH. Right now, IDG is off the hook but I believe that SH will discover that IDG has tapped her house and she will confide it to the detective. SH could be the one too who discovers the existence of the spy in the team, JTS's superior. This episode confirmed it one more time.

Furthermore, her love for her husband will be the other trigger for SH to unveil JSH's past. Sure, she will be surprised but in the end, she will realize the chairman's true personality and even resent him.   

I think there are still pieces missing with regards to SHoon after he escaped from the hospital.  I mean if he’s (SHoon) the one orchestrating the body parts and he’s alive and well, who planted the butcher knife back in KPY’s wife’s shop?  If it was SHoon, why would he do that?  <_<  KPY told SHui he knew where SHoon was and will tell her everything?  Was it just blackmail and he was all bluff or did he actually know?

Could there be any meaning to the body parts?  Left hand, left foot and maybe left eye? If they just want to threatened SH into passing the bill it would suffice in cutting his finger. I think whoever they are have no intention of letting JSH go alive.

1 hour ago, imgreatgal said:

Could there be any meaning to the body parts?  Left hand, left foot and maybe left eye? If they just want to threatened SH into passing the bill it would suffice in cutting his finger. I think whoever they are have no intention of letting JSH go alive.

Great idea!!:wub: Thanks a lot!!! :blush: Furthermore, we have to remember the recipients. The hand with the wedding ring was sent to his wife, whereas CCD received the foot and the newspapers the eye. I see a connection here.

The newspapers represent the media which means that at some point the media chose to turn a blind eye when it came to a scandal. SH threatened him with a divorce, we have to imagine how JSH must have felt as he was pressured from many sides. That's why she received the hand. As for the foot, CCD was the one who bought the land... we need feet to walk on the land. 

10 minutes ago, imgreatgal said:

wow! thanks @bebebisous33 for that theory, but why chose the left body parts?

Left is often associated to misfortune and evil because the Latin adjective sinister originally meant left but it took on meanings of "evil" or unlucky by the Classical Latin era.

In other words, the sender wanted to outline wrongdoings and misfortune. 

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I wonder about the last two body parts... We are told hand was cut off when person still alive. But we don’t get that info with the foot, nor the eyeball, right? 

No, we didn't get that info. Everyone is now assuming that he is dead. We have four possibilities:

1. He is a hostage and is dead due to the amputations.

2. He is a hostage and was able to survive.

3. He is the mastermind and has an accomplice who faked the results.

4. He is the mastermind and with the help of his accomplice, he let himself get amputed: a crazy theory from me!!

Hi guys!

I have been following this drama since day one and I have been HOOKED. Initially it was because of Lee Yoo Young (I have loved her since seeing her first in You Drive Me Crazy) but now it's also because of the plot. Also really enjoying the theories on this page- thanks for making this forum active!

Omg !!!! Guys ....some really critical developments

IDG is the one responsible for the death of the girl . Think she was threatening/ blackmailing him for something. He drugged her & she pretty much fell off the building and he made it look like  suicide . He put the suicide note

I think Tae Sik went to Look at a body .,who is this ?

Spoiler

And this is the most shocking ! Sang Hun is alive and it is his body parts ! Urghhhh ...and  somebody has him & I don’t think this is his doing ...he’s all tied up 

Preview - finally Seo Hui & Tae Sik working together 

@triplem Thanks for the info!! So this was the second possibility I mentioned above. After watching that terrible scene, I feel that the mastermind behind this torture has a deep hatred for the chairman JYM. The culprit has no idea that SH is not his biological son.

I guess, JTS will have to rely on SH because his team is about to get dissolved. I really suspect that his superior will be used to dissolve the team. Notice in the preview that only the female detective and HG seem to be investigated. 

20 minutes ago, triplem said:

I think Tae Sik went to Look at a body .,who is this ?

I think it's the dead girl who fell off the building. From yesterday's preview, it looked like they were going to exhume her body to investigate further. They were starting to suspect that her death was not a suicide.

22 minutes ago, triplem said:

And this is the most shocking ! Sang Hun is alive and it is his body parts ! Urghhhh ...and  somebody has him & I don’t think this is his doing ...he’s all tied up

:blink::tears:

25 minutes ago, triplem said:

Preview - finally Seo Hui & Tae Sik working together 

Yes...finally!! How sad for Jin Yeong and Ho Gyu though. :(

4 hours ago, triplem said:

IDG is the one responsible for the death of the girl . Think she was threatening/ blackmailing him for something. He drugged her & she pretty much fell off the building and he made it look like  suicide . He put the suicide note

I was wondering why she looked out of it (high) initially on the rooftop.  I just thought it was artistic license and they wanted to convey to us that she was in a happy mood :lol: which didn’t match the next scene (suicide).  Bit of an oversight on Police with no tox screen (blood test).  Maybe Sunbae Detective rushed it through (we know he’s IDG’s man in the force) and put it down as suicide and closed the case.

@imgreatgal @bebebisous33 nice theory about body parts.  You could be onto something there. 

4 hours ago, triplem said:

The girl did go see Sang Hun and provided him with some information

I was totally wrong about the girl (CSH) being KSC’s illegitimate daughter. She was a reporter working with Sang Hun to expose the evils of JQ. What’s strange is that Yeong Min had a flashback with her. He was trying to persuade her to not investigate JQ any further and questioned why she was so adamant to help Sang Hun. It was as if he knew she would eventually get killed for it. They seemed like they were close so it’ll be interesting to know how they’re connected. Regardless, in the present, Yeong Min went to IDG saying that the police are re-investigating her death and if so, JQ and their plans will be in trouble. They need to shut the re-investigation down. So, even if Yeong Min was close to her, it shows friendship means nothing to him.

The mysterious text that IDG got from CSH seemed to have come from Sang Hun’s apartment. He went there to look around, but didn’t find anything. It’s shown that he had installed a spy cam hidden in one of books on the shelf. I wonder if that’s what the green dot is on the reeds photo on the wall. He had the camera focused on the sofa area to eavesdrop on Sang Hun and CSH’s conversations. Very weird that the police did not find it.

The ending scene showed Sang Hun alive with his hand, foot and eye missing. Wow! It looks like he’s underground somewhere so I wonder if he’s in the basement of his apartment building. If so, he may be the person who sent the text to IDG.

Edited to add:

@bebebisous33 It's looking like your theory #4 may be true.

"4. He is the mastermind and with the help of his accomplice, he let himself get amputed: a crazy theory from me!!"

The coroner told Tae Sik that whoever removed his eye must be in the medical field. So, if Sang Hun is the mastermind, there is definitely an accomplice. Perhaps the mysterious delivery motorcycle guy?

Archived