[Drama 2019] Everyone’s Lies/The Lies Within, 모두의 거짓말

larus

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Coroner did ask if the suspect is in the medical field since they way the eye was removed.  As we can see in the last scene, SH is being treated.   

We still did not get the full story on Tae Sik 's sister and I wondered if it's connected to SH kidnapping.

4 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Edited to add:

@bebebisous33 It's looking like your theory #4 may be true.

"4. He is the mastermind and with the help of his accomplice, he let himself get amputed: a crazy theory from me!!"

The coroner told Tae Sik that whoever removed his eye must be in the medical field. So, if Sang Hun is the mastermind, there is definitely an accomplice. Perhaps the mysterious delivery motorcycle guy?

We saw him very much tied up so surely not?

Glad we finally got some answers but I have a feeling the end mystery is going to end up being pretty underwhelming. 

My issue with shows being this plot driven is you need a great mystery with a lot of twists and turns and despite the reveals in the last two episodes I don't feel like its really been delivering on that front?

The show has been doing a lot of its character development through the plot (for the FL anyhow) and that's fine but I really wish we they'd give us more scenes purely focusing on the character development/background, especially of the ML as the actor feels underused. Feel like we only get 1/2 scenes lasting 2/3 minutes every other episode (phone call with his mom in episode 8 and the deliberation after finding out he made a mistake, we had a 2 minute flashback a few episodes ago regarding his sister and the phone call to the FL telling her not to give up) - really feel like the show needs more of these types of scenes. But I'm not sure if I'm just craving more character development scenes as the mystery itself isn't really doing it for me at the moment so I need something to keep me watching

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

Ugh...please let that be SHui’s bad dream or something... :crazy:   Eww... 

Yes please. Let it just be a dream...

Cannot imagine the stress that SHun has to endure seeing with only one eye that his hand and foot gone. :sweat:

Another excellent pair of episodes... Some spoilers for Eps 7 and 8 below, for those who haven't yet watched...

1 hour ago, anony12345 said:

The show has been doing a lot of its character development through the plot (for the FL anyhow) and that's fine but I really wish we they'd give us more scenes purely focusing on the character development/background, especially of the ML as the actor feels underused. Feel like we only get 1/2 scenes lasting 2/3 minutes every other episode (phone call with his mom in episode 8 and the deliberation after finding out he made a mistake, we had a 2 minute flashback a few episodes ago regarding his sister and the phone call to the FL telling her not to give up) - really feel like the show needs more of these types of scenes. But I'm not sure if I'm just craving more character development scenes as the mystery itself isn't really doing it for me at the moment so I need something to keep me watching

Detective Jo's character development

Fully agree that there's a lot more potential with Jo Tae-sik, although I feel they might have been intentionally holding back somewhat. This allows his real tests to come in the 2nd half of the series. Thus far, most of the problems have come from low-level obstruction. People withholding information, being secretive to the police, Seo-hui included.

But now that Tae-sik and team have punctured those lies and Seo-hui is truly teaming up with him, Ep 8 shows us The Establishment as an active antagonist, one that can manipulate the police hierarchy to suppress information.

Personally I like that they have moderated the pace with Detective Jo. (Similarly, Seo-hui's determination has only been slowly building up.) He's not exactly slow, but there's a certain endearing world-weariness and wisdom to his character. *Speculation: I would not be surprised if part of his motivation to leave Seoul is because he recognises that people who wag their tail to The Establishment will always get further ahead than those who are good at their jobs. Yet he doesn't feel animosity to the Captain, he just gets on with it.

The leaks to Im Dong-gu

@bebebisous33 I think the latest episode pretty much confirms your theory that the Captain is the police leak (or at least one of them) to JQ / Im Dong-gu.

The amputations and thoughts on who's responsible

As mentioned above, the amputations seem legit after all. Jin-gyeong speaks for all of us when she wonders whether it's worth living after so much physical trauma. 

Many fellow watchers have theorised that Sang-hun is complicit in his own self-mutilation (loved all the analysis on the motivations). Previously, I'd hoped for a possibility of a fake mutilation rigged with the help of a benign Yeong-min... Sadly the latest reveals are that while he tried to get YM's help, he was rebuffed. To me it makes the case stronger for him to be desperate enough to want to be mutilated :crazy: 

I was looking back in the thread and [edit] think it was @bebebisous33 who said it - the analysis on the symbolism of the bonsai was so on point. Agree that Chairman Jeong has been trying to mould everyone into his version of reality; his actions seem nurturing but the effects are brutal and literally stunt the growth of those around him. It would be intriguing if Eun-seong/Sang-hun's act of 'deconstructing himself' is what allows him to reconstruct his own identity. 

IDG/JYM axis of evil :sweatingbullets:

I really, really enjoyed the rivalry between Im Dong-gu and Jin Yeong-min. Im Dong-gu seems thoroughly amoral at this point given what we've seen with the reporter and his other 'hits' (successful or otherwise). Yeong-min is interesting though. There's a lot of room for him either to get a lot darker, or rediscover his conscience near the end, or both....

Roll on next Saturday!

Okay just watched and the cliffhanger...gruesome.  Although did anyone notice if he was restrained on that chair?  He didn’t look particularly tied up?  But then again he’s missing a foot so not like he can run away anyway.

Things of note.  I thought the Coroner said the hand was hacked off by an amateur?  But the eye was removed by someone in the medical field?  That doesn’t compute?  Unless the first person who did it was wanting to make it gruesome viewing because it was being videoed for SHui to watch.  ((Shudder))

I like that SHui is finally coming to the fore and doing her own investigation.  Although I kinda worry about her swimming with the sharks... IDG doesn’t strike me as someone who would let it slide.  YM is still suspicious.  I don’t know why he was dressed up as if he was ready to go on the run in the last ep?  And then there was that strange scene where he looked like he was desperately trying to clean something off his hands?  Looks like some of you were right about there being a message with the body parts. :crazy:

omg, reading all post here I cannot imagine what Sang Hoon has to go thru to be amputated alive! 

I know many is not happy by how Seo Hui character is written. She is a weak character looking fragile and like a damsel in distress but to me I kinda like her character is like that. There are too many killer sharks around her and if she is aggressive, she will be killed faster. I think he weak facade will be useful later. Those predator might not be suspect that she will do investigation on her own. They will think she is the pupper they can control but secretly she will find the answer herself (which she has started) and this will help us to know more about all this crazy plot. 

Ouch... S-hun is still alive? Yikes... poor man. I suppose it is possible but wow... Has he been allowing himself to be mutilated out of guilt? He doesn't look good but he he doesn't look too terrible either. He doesn't seem to be under duress. On the other hand, it doesn't feel like it's his MO but then how much do we really know about him?

So many theories that I had... I'm going to have to throw most of them out the window... and get back to the drawing board. ;) :D But a woman was involved and got between them. :P

The thing that I'm struck by is how (outwardly) devoted those two men are to the chairman. The chairman surrounded himself with orphan boys and the one that he adopted as his son is the one who decidedly went against his agenda. It does feel like S-hun has always been the one that's... how shall we put it... the most independent-minded of the lot. Ironic to say the least. Although I'm not entirely sure about IDG where he really stands... it's not certain where his loyalties really lie even while he's doing the "yes" man shtick, playing the chairman's ubiquitous troubleshooter. I'm still bothered by his wall of connections and feel that he's got his own agenda going while doing the chairman's bidding.

Yeong-min's a far more complex figure than he seemed in the beginning. Perhaps it's because he never grew up with a mum and a dad that he takes these familial type attachments more seriously. He was the one who wanted to go home with the chairman. He's torn on some level but ultimately he's the chairman's true lap dog. What the chairman wants, he gets. His conscience only goes so far but when push comes to shove, he is all about protecting the chairman.

His relationship with Choi Su-yeon is intriguing though. Were they a couple? And why was an entertainment writer investigating JQ? 

For the first time we saw the chairman completely enraged over his son's disappearance. But any paternal instincts he had was short-lived, giving way to commercial interests. I wonder if it would have made any difference if S-hun was his birth son. 

It's disappointing that the Team Leader goes the way of many cop show team leaders. I don't know why people become cops if they're hoping for a cushy sinecure. You're already compromised before you start.

Like I said yesterday, the best part of the last two episodes is seeing some real cooperation between S-hui and TS. It scratched an itch that I had to hear TS tell S-hui off about keeping things from him. That was something that had to be done... no matter what her reasons were. But I also accept that she was deliberately kept in the dark about a whole range of matters because there was some deep dark stuff afoot. The result of all that was she didn't have the tools to deal with the predicament she was left to sort out. Like @bebebisous33 says and I too understand why they went that route, it made it easier for them to manipulate the character. Thankfully she's a lot calmer these days, and doing a lot more that's right than wrong.

After this episode I like Tae-shik more than ever. It wasn't easy to reinvestigate Choi Su-yeon's case with the pressure that was put on him not to. It has cost him and will cost him to keep digging. Hopefully the family will push hard for a more thorough investigation and take some of the heat off him. I wouldn't be surprised if Dad was somehow involved in the parcelling of the body parts to get his daughter's untimely death some attention. I'm grateful that a character like TS exists because I would have stopped watching after the first couple of weeks. I feel that he speaks for me regarding the madness, the mysteries and the idiocy. His desire to get to the bottom of things is something we can relate to. 

15 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

His relationship with Choi Su-yeon is intriguing though. Were they a couple? And why was an entertainment writer investigating JQ? 

yes that got me thinking too.  She looked like she was his (YM) squeeze?  She hugged him, but she was all polite and business like with SHoon.  So I don’t think they had anything between them other than business (exposing JQ’s filth).  I liked that SHui seems to have cried all her tears and seems to have steeled herself to just forge ahead and find SHoon with TaeSik’s help.

But I do find YM a lot more intriguing than IDG.  YM I still find hard to get a handle on.  He has these Jekyll and Hyde moments.  One moment I think he’s incapable of sawing his best friend’s limb off and the next I find him frantically washing his hands as if to try to get blood off them.  And in one moment he’s coldly recounting his part in the whole JQ fiasco before the Assembly and the next he’s all cut and musing about how SHoon’s pain threshold is low back in the Orphanage days... 

And if there is a “culprit” that’s still at large and SHoon is not the mastermind?  Then where is this culprit coming from?  Surely he would’ve been revealed by now?  Who shoved the note into SHui’s hand?  If I were her I would’ve shown TaeSik the footage and gotten HG to analyze it?  :huh:

17 hours ago, anony12345 said:

We saw him very much tied up so surely not?

My eyes could be wrong, but I could only see IV lines on Sang Hun. I didn't see him tied up per se. Also, he looked rather calm, cool and collected so I got the vibe that he was in control of the situation. It seemed more like he was hiding himself rather than being held hostage. Another reason why I could see @bebebisous33's theory #4 be plausible is I remember him saying to KSC that even if others turn a blind eye to CSH's death, he'll investigate no matter what. Which is why I thought it was possible that he sent the taunting text to IDG and his eye to the news company. But...I've been wrong before so I caution that I could be wrong again.

20 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

My eyes could be wrong, but I could only see IV lines on Sang Hun. I didn't see him tied up per se. Also, he looked rather calm, cool and collected so I got the vibe that he was in control of the situation.

Yeah that was what it looked like to me too.  :crazy:.  How could a man mutilate himself like that?  I guess you could say the man who set himself on fire in one of the episodes was of similar mind... 

It leads me to wonder then if YM his best friend is somehow helping him... that he’s just following orders of SHoon?  Which could explain his rather dichotomous character thus far.  

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

musing about how SHoon’s pain threshold is low back in the Orphanage days... 

Also he mentioned about SH's nightmares.  His childhood will help investigation.  YM was already at orphanage before SH correct?..

53 minutes ago, nrllee said:

And if there is a “culprit” that’s still at large and SHoon is not the mastermind?  Then where is this culprit coming from?  Surely he would’ve been revealed by now?  Who shoved the note into SHui’s hand?  If I were her I would’ve shown TaeSik the footage and gotten HG to analyze it?  :huh:

I don't think there was anything between Choi SY and S-hun either. It was a passing joke. ;) If anything it seems to indicate that she was definitely on intimate terms with Yeong-min. The fact that he let her burn really does tell you something about how compromised he is. Very conflicted individual that's being pulled in multiple directions. I understand that he feels strongly obligated to the chairman... maybe even beyond that: A strong father figure that plucked him out of poverty and abandonment. We can safely assume that he can't necessarily be relied upon to prioritize S-hun's safety if it means the chairman and JQ goes down the gurgler. 

There's nothing to suggest to me right now that S-hun is the mastermind. He maybe cooperating with whoever's calling the shots in exchange for S-hui's safety. I believe that there is somebody else at play. It could be somebody that we've already met but haven't taken too much notice of because they're fairly nondescript. It could even be someone at Bareun News. We can't assume that people are always telling the truth or telling the cops everything they need to at a given time. ;) 

Just my 2 cents.

I’m trying to catch up, will watch episode 8 soon.

For the love of god, how why what... can anyone be so cruel!  It’s macabre, sadistic, disturbing... no amount of money can justify this evilness!

My bet is on Chairman Jeong as mastermind.  He shows no love toward any of the men in return of their love.  Sang Hoon is clearly being punished, physically for running away, seeing things that not meant for him to know and doing things that betrayed him.  The body parts are to test IDG and JYM’s loyalty to him by pitting them against each other.

16 minutes ago, tiMadam said:

Also he mentioned about SH's nightmares.  His childhood will help investigation.  YM was already at orphanage before SH correct?..

Yes YM has been in the orphanage since birth while Sang Hoon (Eun Sung) came to the orphanage when he was 5. They are same age friend with YM only few months older

43 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

There's nothing to suggest to me right now that S-hun is the mastermind. He maybe cooperating with whoever's calling the shots in exchange for S-hui's safety. I believe that there is somebody else at play. 

:lol: Imagine if it was DS60 take 2?  We were trolled so badly about who was the ultimate mastermind there. 

@bedifferent

I thought it was the Chairman but seeing how distraught he was to the point of a break down is giving me doubts.  And it didn’t do JQ any good when his breakdown was splashed all over the news and the share price took a nosedive.

Done with ep8 and my head is spinning lollol

We are half way through but a large part of the puzzle is still missing.

Maybe the culprit is trying to reveal a crime by this senseless cutting of limbs. Let make sense of this.

Death no.1 It all starts with the suicide girl Choi SuYeon an entertainment journalist with Bareun News. She was terminated by non other than the dirt cleaner IDG. I'm wondering why an entertainment journalist is investigating land deals and the new business and why she is so much against it. I see now that the hand that was the first body part that was delivered symbolised the journalist/writer.

Death no.2  The death of assembly man KimSeungCheol. His death wasn't an accident. Who would benefit from his death? Most certainly Hong, The chairman, IDG and YM all of them wanted to push through with the new business while KSC was against it. The foot was the second body part that was delivered. As @bebebisous33 said foot symbolised land.

Death no.3 KangPilYeon. He was the factory worker who tried to set himself on fire and was very much against the new business. He knew everything and was killed when he tried to reveal it to SH. Okay so the eye probably saw the truth to what was hidden.

Somehow I'm suspicious about the coroner's findings. She confirms the eye was extracted by someone skilled probably a doctor but it was a different case with the hand.  

In the preview SH is looking at a photo of JSH hugging a young boy. It looks like a hospital room. More mystery to come.

Funnily, I understand YM - not as in I approve of what he does but the reason he behaves the way he does - it is the life long desire for approval and validation. That's why he is such a conflicted character. Sang Hun - a weakling in his mind got Chairman's love and approval. YM who was good in everything was sidelined both in their childhood and even now with this new business . I won't write him off yet as the mastermind behind what's happening with SH because jealousy is a strong motivator . He does not need to be the one cutting off the body parts...he can easily give instructions for someone else to do it.  Besides IDG who himself is investigating this case, only he knew that Reporter Choi ( I think they are romantically involved in some way or are at least close) was helping Sang Hun

There were no ropes tying SH up but would there be a need to ?To keep him alive,  he would be heavily sedated as in on loads of painkillers. He looked dazed in that last shot. I am 50-50 on the  theory that SH would be the one orchestrating this - my doubts come about because of what YM said that SH cried 3 days when he lost his finger nail. SH is afraid of physical pain.  (edit to add: Also YM was annoyed that SH would cry over such a thing...lack of empathy there from YM..perhaps he could be vindictive and using this to "teach " SH a lesson.)

Really like Tae Sik. Loved the part he told Seo Hui off for withholding crucial information from him. Then I laughed when he had to sheepishly ask the other two to help him with his oversight on the reporter's suicide. 

2 minutes ago, triplem said:

Really like Tae Sik. Loved the part he told Seo Hui off for withholding crucial information from him. Then I laughed when he had to sheepishly ask the other two to help him with his oversight on the reporters to suicide. 

I enjoyed that too. :) The 3 of them make a good team. Yes the girl is a bit over the top but I like their dynamic.  Although from the preview it looks like they all get pulled up for their contributions to get CSH’s body exhumed and kickstarting the investigation again. 

Archived