[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

4 hours ago, ms_inquiry said:
Spoiler

I like to imagine that in some of the different universes similar scenarios/stories play out but differently in some core aspects

Another possible scenario/story idea:

Something I would love to see is a story where another version of LG or LJH (He looked so good! He needs a story where he sometimes wears that uniform :D) is the long lost (kidnapped/hidden) heir of another Kingdom of Korea. JTE being the royal guard who finds him. Maybe they met as kids, similar to LG and JY. But the coup happens (no magic though in this universe) and the uncle Prince hides LJH away, but maybe the uncle dies. No one knows the young prince is alive, he doesn't even know he is the heir and then JTE (who is still amazing, bold and clever) finds him. The first episode's ending being similar to TKEM episode 1's ending but in reverse. And they take on another version of LL, there is political intrigue, romance of course and thriller aspects. Lots of awesome action scenes. JTE being his bodyguard for a while! I could go on. 

LJH's character arc can be about finding his true place in the world. Also the moral of the story can be that he is the rightful King, because as opposed to others he doesn't really want to rule/have a lot of power.

For JTE it can be a story about redeeming her family or dad but also more importantly stepping out of their shadow and becoming her own person. Perhaps her dad in this universe was one of the royal guards in charge of protecting the young prince. So it is very personal for her to take down the kidnappers/LL etc. Bit of a revenge aspect 

Edit: A lot of comedy can be derived from LJH not believing JTE when she tells him he is the rightful, missing, King :lol: and some good angst could come from the fact that they fall in love but JTE as his bodyguard is meant to protect him with his life. Could also be a source of some good character conflict ;). I quite like the idea of LJH being a fish-out-of-water adjusting to being a King when he's grown up quite poor. 

Haha, this became quite an extensive post. I just really love the inventive and creative concepts and scenarios that were explored in TKEM. I find it difficult not to continue spinning on about them :lol:

I love your ideas too. Yes, JTE doppelganger is the bodyguard.  However, it has to be another universe, not modern day Korea. LJH is definitely the son of his mother so how to suddenly let her claim that she isn't the rightful mom?  There should be another universe that a LG look alike is also a navy officer. LJH does look gorgeous in his navy uniform. We need LMH is a soldier role. :D

The first season of The King: Eternal Monarch was directed by Baek Sang-Hoon who is also known for the success of his previous works. Some of his popular Korean drama are Descendants of the Sun starring Song Joong-Ki and Song Hye-Kyo, also known as Song-song couple, and Love in the Moonlight starring Park Bo-Gum and Kim You-Jung.

The King: Eternal Monarch

The King: Eternal Monarch Season 2 Casts

As of writing, there is still no confirmation about the renewal of director Baek Sang-Hoon’s Korean drama series. However, if the series has been renewed, there’s a huge chance that we will be seeing a new list of characters for the drama. The role of Lee Gon and Tae Eul has been settled in the first season. Seeing them in the next season could be fun but their appearance could be just a cameo.

https://www.gamenguides.com/articles/the-king-eternal-monarch-season-2-renewal-casts-trailer-and-release-date-64283/

@GeolyvsevenThanks for providing the link and a section of the article in your post.  While we were all hi-fiving, I read the rest of the article and If you read the very end, it says that the new season may not have any from the old cast including LMH and KGE.

I don't know if I would be interested if LMH and KGE are not in it. As a cameo role, I might watch that part and then drop the series. :dissapointed:

• Like 4

So I didn’t want to write my full series review until I had some time to truly think about it – because my gut punch reaction after the episode aired was “thank the good lord nobody died”.  Having spent a few days seeing everyone else’s reaction, rewatching it with the rose tinted glasses off, I think the story and I have come to a solid conclusion now.  I don’t know if it’s because I ended up so passionately invested in the show, but I feel very strongly about the parts I loved, and also extremely strongly on the parts I didn’t love.  This is mostly just a cathartic review of the entire show so please don’t waste too much time looking at it lol. 

Jeong Tae Eul:

Spoiler

I don’t think I’ve enjoyed an Asian drama character as much as much as I loved JTE since…ever.  I really do gravitate towards shows with strong female characters, who are well rounded and don’t compromise themselves, and I tend to get disappointed.  Supergirl, for example, started in season 1 as a hopeful, kind, powerful superhero, and has disintegrated into a pile of mess.  Even my beloved Yoon Seri, who was so strong and inspiring in the first half of the drama…she melted into a disaster by the end.  I’m really not interested in seeing a crying lifeless mess.

JTE IS EVERYTHING.  From the beginning to the end, she never compromised who she is, and she never needed anything.  She never needed to be saved, she saves herself.  She never stopped being brave, and she fought to protect her loved ones by any means possible.  I know people were irritated with her prickly attitude towards LG in the beginning, but as hot as LG is, it’s some random nutcase on a horse spouting BS about parallel universes to her and calling her his Queen.  Look…I’ve seen guys say even weirder stuff than that to get what they want.  Her roasts in the beginning were just incredible.  But even despite that, she’s still willing to help him out, and take care of him.  Just with a lot of yelling and some whacking.  I also love that even during their happily ever after, she doesn’t turn into a mindless lovesick drone.  If he’s being ridiculous, which he is fairly often, she will call him out.  Even during all the sweetness during their vacations, she’s still a savage and brings him back down to Earth, like when he’s going on and on about his birthday. 

I honestly didn’t know what to think of her the first time she walked in, with her mis-matchy clothing and ditzy car crashing attitude.  Really didn’t want to see another show with a stoic guy and a ditzy girl.  AND THEN MY BISH ROUNDHOUSE KICKED THE GUY IN THE HEAD. 

Lee Gon:

Spoiler

Lee Min Ho is so good.  So so good. He's always been my hot boyfriend but now he's my super super talented and kinda scary boyfriend too.  His acting was just so spot on, and I spent weeks at the beginning arguing with people who claimed he was wooden.

Of course he was wooden.  He's the 33 year old KING of a very formal country, surrounded by people he doesn't get the luxury of trusting, with severe PTSD from when he basically took a bath in his father's blood while his uncle choked him to death.  He represses his emotions and his brain is basically a computer.  I used to yell at people to just WAIT until LG blows up, because you could see it simmering under the surface. AND THEN HE DID. 

Lee Gon is also a brilliant character.  He has so much backstory and trauma and LMH played it beautifully.  He's fully aware of his duties, and he executes them well.  His journey was probably the most heartbreaking, because the Lee Gon that we originally met was someone who had forced himself to overcome his trauma, and already grew into a good person.  He had so much love to give to JTE, and to those around him, and you could see him breaking by episode 8 once he realized that the war wasn't over, and people were going to get hurt, and he couldn't save all of them.  But he did his best.

Other characters:

Spoiler

The weirdest thing to me is that while the show originally started by giving so much focus to side characters, they really fell flat with a few of them. 

If we go by the characters importance, I would say that the hierarchy would be: JY > PM/LL > SJ > ES.  We started with so much for JY/LL/PM, and ES was really just there for comic relief.  But at some point, things switched and ES got the most development.  Which I'm okay with, because I really did like soft sweet ES as a character. 

Shin Jae - his story was great, execution was botched.  The love story aspect should never have been there, they should've just been the best of friends.  SJ was SO freaking good in the last few episodes - they should've had him there from the start.  Leave out the whole gambling subplot and focus more on his childhood trauma.  I feel like JTE should've been a little more traumatized losing him at the end, and that the scene with LG saving SJ should've been her.  SJ and LG's paths only crossed towards the end of the story, but he has 15+ years of history and platonic love with JTE.  I loved that SJ made a desperate plea to save her life by confessing his heart to her, and I love JTE gently letting him down and helping to fix both SJs lives...but then we got nothing after that.

Koo Seo Ryeong: What a waste of a character.  I honestly feel like they decided midway that they just didn't care for her anymore and stopped writing her.  She's the second female lead and she got like...2 scenes in episode 15 and 1 scene in 16.  She had such an interesting story, and had shown a LOT of competence as PM between 1-8.  Dedicated to the working class, fighting a sexist and classist battle against the men who were born into power.  Even when she went head to head with LG and LL, she mentioned that the men of the royal family were born into this power and wealth, and she had to fight her way there.  She was a VERY strong leader, and actually worked pretty well with LG at the beginning, especially during the useless Navy battle.  Then they stopped writing her.  I think they THOUGHT they were writing her, because every time she showed up in the second half, she had a new perspective but we never got to see it.  The moment that we lost our original PM for me was in episode 9 when she went to do the annual report, and she lost all professionalism. 

Jo Yeong: Uhhhh.  This is where the JY/Eun sup thing kind of broke me.  At some point when they swapped, the writers became more interested in writing for ES than they were for Yeong.  We SAW ES in KOC showing off his smarts, his bravery, and becoming a more suave version of himself and becoming brave enough for Nari.  Yeong...wandered around doing nothing for 6 episodes.  I know we were supposed to see him softening up with the twins, and learning to live his own life instead of living to protect LG, but it didn't actually...happen.  That being said, I absolutely loved the Yeong and ES that we got.  I love that they went from enemies to family, and that they learned from each other.  Yeong taught ES how to be brave, and pushed him towards his goals, despite making fun of them.  I love that Yeong softened up and isn't so rigid.  I also love the bromance - and the fact that they EMBRACED THE BROMANCE!!  In a world full of "no homo", and men being afraid to love anything that's "girly", I love that you have two men who love each other dearly, and will do anything for each other.  This is exactly the way men should be, but aren't.  Men SHOULD love each other, and they SHOULD be allowed to cry and express their emotions.  Even an ice cube like Yeong on this show was allowed to live and love, and the "Jogon" rumors didn't bother them at ALL, in fact, they leaned into it and loved it. 

Lee Lim: What a chilling villain.  Until he lost it towards the end.  They were caterwauling towards an epic showdown, and then it was just...over.  I guess in a way, you could say that it's poetic because when it comes down to it, LL is just a very sad man who had no love in his life.  But in a show that excels in subtlety, this didn't work.  LL dying just felt like "that's it?"  He's just going to stand here and get slashed?  The guy is brutal enough that he KILLED HIMSELF because he thought he had failed.  You're telling me that he wasn't going to fight back at all against LG/SJ/JY, and not fight back against JTE???  Major kudos to the actor though, he was brilliant.

Okay I'm super tired after this, might do a part 2 later on other things.  This ended up just being a character review lol.

• Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, SweetButters said:

@Flloy House There is no other flute among all the other worlds though lol! There's only one flute that rules all the other worlds kind of like one ring to rule them all lol. Thank god LG is the one who holds the flute :joy:. If Lee Jin aka Tyrant LG ever found out that he's not King of all worlds, he would be so pissed haha!!

We dodged a bullet there but it would be interesting if he somehow got hold of it or fought LG for it.

It could set up something to build on and perhaps a good story line. By the way is his name Lee Jin?

• Like 3

Good Morning Chingus :heart:

@syntycheThanks for the filming locations, taken note and will be my next travel list. :love:

@rocher22I missed my puppy ES :bawling:

8aa5cfc95a4ab98a59caab79072526570bd938fb

Oh !!!!!!!!  look at his side profile, Sexy, Hot and chilli hot  adam apple ! :w00t:

14vtu2uycm5o.jpg

And not for getting our Unbreakable Distrupter !!!!!!!!! :blush:

I love all her interactions with Lee Gon, so caring, lovable, sweet and motherly :heart:

202005270929321910_4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, Wis dom said:

Well it's obvious since his been with him forever and his most trusted person. It would be big blow

Very true. JY is like a blood brother to LG. They were together since at a very young age (Lady Noh had it all planned since day one)

JY takes care of LG personal matters as well as palace work, and LG feels safe to have JY around.

Is a totally Big Loss to LG if JY is to leave LG.

@GeolyvsevenMaximum seems jealous LOL. Think she also want some hugs from King LG :joy:

@SweetButterseating sweet potatoes with Kimchi.... lol...very curious to know how's the taste like.

Sweet Potates = LG

Kimchi = PM

:tounge_wink:

gNyOeYW.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Joanna Alfson said:

The question was when the poll will go up but i guess you already answered that question to heilo. 

My local time is 19:30 right now but in total i think your 8-9 hours behind my timeline 

What timeline is that @Joanna Alfson Standard european timeline?

23 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

And not for getting our Unbreakable Distrupter !!!!!!!!! :blush:

I love all her interactions with Lee Gon, so caring, lovable, sweet and motherly :heart:

She is the eternal disturber plus sweet and motherly figure. 

I thought it was funny first time in episode 5 when JTE came to the palace she was allover things and truly the boss of the palace. JTE was careful around her

• Like 6
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

@GeolyvsevenMaximum seems jealous LOL. Think she also want some hugs from King LG :joy:

Maximus has done that many times where they had to re-shoot the scene he just kept entering the frame and another time he even licked LMH's head while filming on the first meeting scene where LG runs into JTE first time

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Annyeong... :D I've been away for several hours and got to read some random posts.

@CallieP @vangsweetie637 okay, let's go with 3 questions as @Lmangla have explained us. I've shared my ideas of the questions and I'll let the rest to you guys. But if you need me to help. Just tell me what to do. I'll do it if I can. Hehe

@mrsj3n okay, we are three, along with @YongZura⁷ are on the same page on this huh? Hahaha. And @Heilo if you ask me, honestly I want to say don't watch! Save yourself! It's suck!! LOL. But....

Spoiler

If you are the type of imaginative person and love any kind of ending then you can try it. Despite from all of the crap they made into the final, the storyline went pretty good and steady in the first half of the drama. But towards the end there are several changes they made which I think is unnecessary. And there several internal conflicts within the drama production that also added more flame to the viewers disappointment over the story changes. Plus the ending left you like you just step on a dirt. Very unpleasant and annoying. It's what I feel. Well, JMHO. Hahaha. You can try watching it and who knows you may like it.

6 hours ago, CallieP said:

The King: Eternal Monarch Season 2 Casts

As of writing, there is still no confirmation about the renewal of director Baek Sang-Hoon’s Korean drama series. However, if the series has been renewed, there’s a huge chance that we will be seeing a new list of characters for the drama. The role of Lee Gon and Tae Eul has been settled in the first season. Seeing them in the next season could be fun but their appearance could be just a cameo.

https://www.gamenguides.com/articles/the-king-eternal-monarch-season-2-renewal-casts-trailer-and-release-date-64283/

Is this true? I mean does the source of the article trustworthy? If they plan to make a season 2 without bringing the original casts, at least LMH and KGE or at least LMH, then I am not sure whether the feels will be the same. If they only appear for a cameo, then change everything else. I don't think I'll like it. Unless, they make the story even more perfect and brilliant than the first season, then I'll tune in. Well we don't really need S2. Just bring LMH back on my screen is all what I want! I miss you pyehaaaa..... 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Annyeong... :D I've been away for several hours and got to read some random posts.

@CallieP @vangsweetie637 okay, let's go with 3 questions as @Lmangla have explained us. I've shared my ideas of the questions and I'll let the rest to you guys. But if you need me to help the. Just tell me what to do. I'll do it if I can. Hehe

@mrsj3n okay, we are three, along with @YongZura⁷ are on the dame page on this huh? Hahaha. And @Heilo if you ask me, honestly I want to say don't watch! Save yourself! It's suck!! LOL. But....

Hide contents

If you are the type of imaginative person and love any kind of ending then you can try it. Despite from all of the crap they made into the final, the storyline went pretty good and steady in the first half of the drama. But towards the end there are several changes they made which I think is unnecessary. And there several internal conflicts within the drama production that also added more flame to the viewers disappointment over the story changes. Plus the ending left you like you just step on a dirt. Very unpleasant and annoying. It's what I feel. Well, JMHO. Hahaha. You can try watching it and who knows you may like it.

Is this true? I mean does the source of the article trustworthy? If they plan to make a season 2 without bringing the original casts, at least LMH and KGE or at least LMH, then I am not sure whether the feels will be the same. If they only appear for a cameo, then change everything else. I don't think I'll like it. Unless, they make the story even more perfect and brilliant than the first season, then I'll tune in. Well we don't really need S2. Just bring LMH back on my screen is all what I want! I miss you pyehaaaa..... 

It was written by a tabloid but there is no way in hell that there will be S2 without the main cast and specifically without LMH and KGE it would be counter-productive. 

I would so much love to see continuity for them both where they continue on this drama for couple more seasons and be with us thru this show. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Heilo said:

Hahaha You were faster then me. I edited but you catched it before I edited. It's just an irrelevant article and found it to be ridiculous 

LOL, is totally absurd and ridiculous.

During the time of writing, the author must have toooooooo much MSD :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3