[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, Narine Joa said:

That makes sense seems like you have been a close watcher and alert. Happy to run into you as I have few more questions i need and hope not you mind. You even brought the exact quotes and mad respect for that. 

SJ's mom we found out in the last episode that she didn't know about her son being swapped by her husband and the question is what did Lee Lim get in return for swapping sons for him and giving him a healthy one instead of his handicapped son?

i reckon he wanted SJ's real mom to be the spy in the palace so SJ was probably a "hostage", although i have no idea if she even provided any useful information to LR. i don't think that was shown or i could have missed  it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Narine Joa said:

Sure why not I will first see what others say then I will share mine:kiss_wink:

Yup! I will be posting mine tomorrow since it’s so late here and my mind may not allow me to write everything i want since it is now falling asleep lol

@Joanna Alfson @Heretorant there you guys are! :D 

@SweetButters lol, I would love to have the flute but without an LR running after me haha. The coolest thing about these forums is that we all get to share and discuss. It’s a whole ton of fun! I am glad your bf suggested you join a forum. One time, my sis kept telling me all her ideas for a fanfic every night to the point where i told her that she needs to find a forum to write her ideas. And to this day, she still writes on that forum ;) sometimes, forums are the best place to connect. It’s like a social cafe network. Oh yes, I am planning on watching 2 dramas and joining discussions too. The one with Its Okay not to be Okay and Backstreet Rookie. Both has my Oppas too. My sis tells me that I am a cheater because I should only love LMH. I told her this:

giphy.gif

i have many Oppas :joy:

@Alice Wonderland We may have to wait a bit longer to see LMH on screen again :(  if he chooses to come back for season 2, I will be so excited!! :relaxed: Haha there were many choices from the poll. I had to think about it carefully before choosing my votes.

1 hour ago, yonhap said:

hi all, i have been lurking ever since the thread started. Enjoy all the comments in the thread.

i am one of those who have enjoyed all 16 episodes but felt something was missing at the end of it. decided to start a fan fiction if anyone is interested

https://www.wattpad.com/903628576-the-king-eternal-monarch-chapter-1 

@CatWhiskers I believe you are the one looking for fanfics ;)

honestly, i want a season 2 but only with the same leads. It wouldn’t make sense to have season 2 without LMH/KGE. And as @gwin mentioned, if there was any option for a season 2, it should already be in the talks. I doubt we would get it but hey, they can totally surprise us and I would love it even so! :D

but I don’t know how true this is but i have read that having a season 2 of any dramas is usually based on how well season 1 was received. That’s why I am still wondering if Vagabond or Arthal Chronicles will have their season 2 because i know there were debates about it. I don’t want TKEM to go through that as well. 

EDIT:

@Narine Joa many of us love this drama so at times, we do remember the exact quotes automatically :D

You asked about SJ’s mom. 

SJ’s mom never knew about the swap and this was hinted way earlier in the episodes. LR promised to swap the son for the exchange of the care center. This deal was between the dad and him only. I believe this care center was the source of where they put the doppelgängers’ dead bodies. We saw this through PM’s doppelgänger in the freezer when TE and SJ were searching the center.

Edit 2

@SCSfanz WDH is a very good actor. I discovered him in Tempted and really liked the way he played out his character there. The way he played JY and ES was impressive and amazing. You can totally tell their personality apart just by the acting itself. That’s why I loved JY/ES differently. JY as the bold, cool bodyguard of LG and ES as the wacky-tacky friend of TE :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

16 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Right there with you! This is the first time I actually want a network giant to milk off of the popularity of a show and produce another season. Usually I get annoyed when they do that lolol

There is one particular gesture that I really loved about his portrayal of Jo Yeong - that subtle head-tilt-to-the-side when thinking gesture. I don't know if y'all remember that, but he did that the first time he talked to Seung-Ah (the scene after LG brought food to TE in episode 5), he did that when he was watching ES cut his hair short (in episode 8, I think), and a couple of other times. I never saw him do that when portraying ES. Clearly shows us how much he (WDH) knows his two characters.

Oh i think i know the head-tilt-to-the-side thing, and also the sighing, i don't know why i enjoy seeing that haha. There's this other very subtle action, whenever he takes his leave of LG, he gives this little nod, turns around and struts off like a diva. it's like "ok i'm done, bye"

He also added a subtle awkwardness to his dialect when JY was pretending to be ES since JY doesn't speak dialect, and likewise for ES while pretending to be JY. As an audience ,for me to not even realize it's the same actor until ep 7 (when JY/ES met) that was a real feat. I probably said this more than once haha, but i'm really THAT impressed! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

@ vangsweetie637

@ Narine Joa

please share yours, would love to read it :kiss_wink:

14 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

Great idea i will read it and give you a lengthy review. 

@vangsweetie637

You should just reveal your votes go ahead you have my blessings :rolleyes:

Edited by yonhap
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I see a lot of people are voting for Night of Treason #3, it is an amazing moment. This above is probably one of my favourite scenes though, the music in combination with LG at the square when he takes in the Republic for the first time (unfortunately cut here) and then sees JTE is just fantastic. Truly an iconic moment :heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:
Spoiler

Yup! I will be posting mine tomorrow since it’s so late here and my mind may not allow me to write everything i want since it is now falling asleep lol

@Joanna Alfson @Heretorant there you guys are! :D 

@SweetButters lol, I would love to have the flute but without an LR running after me haha. The coolest thing about these forums is that we all get to share and discuss. It’s a whole ton of fun! I am glad your bf suggested you join a forum. One time, my sis kept telling me all her ideas for a fanfic every night to the point where i told her that she needs to find a forum to write her ideas. And to this day, she still writes on that forum ;) sometimes, forums are the best place to connect. It’s like a social cafe network. Oh yes, I am planning on watching 2 dramas and joining discussions too. The one with Its Okay not to be Okay and Backstreet Rookie. Both has my Oppas too. My sis tells me that I am a cheater because I should only love LMH. I told her this:

@Alice Wonderland We may have to wait a bit longer to see LMH on screen again :(  if he chooses to come back for season 2, I will be so excited!! :relaxed: Haha there were many choices from the poll. I had to think about it carefully before choosing my votes.

@CatWhiskers I believe you are the one looking for fanfics ;)

honestly, i want a season 2 but only with the same leads. It wouldn’t make sense to have season 2 without LMH/KGE. And as @gwin mentioned, if there was any option for a season 2, it should already be in the talks. I doubt we would get it but hey, they can totally surprise us and I would love it even so! :D

but I don’t know how true this is but i have read that having a season 2 of any dramas is usually based on how well season 1 was received. That’s why I am still wondering if Vagabond or Arthal Chronicles will have their season 2 because i know there were debates about it. I don’t want TKEM to go through that as well. 

EDIT:

@Narine Joa many of us love this drama so at times, we do remember the exact quotes automatically :D

You asked about SJ’s mom. 

SJ’s mom never knew about the swap and this was hinted way earlier in the episodes. LR promised to swap the son for the exchange of the care center. This deal was between the dad and him only. I believe this care center was the source of where they put the doppelgängers’ dead bodies. We saw this through PM’s doppelgänger in the freezer when TE and SJ were searching the center.

Edit 2

@SCSfanz WDH is a very good actor. I discovered him in Tempted and really liked the way he played out his character there. The way he played JY and ES was impressive and amazing. You can totally tell their personality apart just by the acting itself. That’s why I loved JY/ES differently. JY as the bold, cool bodyguard of LG and ES as the wacky-tacky friend of TE :lol:

Yes this makes sense. Thanks I needed clarification on it 

Edited by Jillia
Quote too long
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

many scenes to choose from so I had to think and decide which scene touched me the most.

For the vote, I picked:

Night of the Treason (#2), JY checking the pulse of young LG and LG/TE reunion after his army saves her from LR’s hunchmen (aka the epic rescue scene).

I chose night of treason number 2 because not only did i become a loser to the poll and changed my profile pic to a baddie haha, but the musical ost was amazingly sad to my ears and went well with the scene. Another touch was the fact that he went to his dad and touched his eyes as if to close it. If we think about it, this is the first time in 25 years since he saw his dad in person again. And this time, he was able to say an indirect goodbye. I teared up. Then his meeting with Lady Noh and how he thanked her and said he is chasing his destiny. I love it. 

JY checking young LG’s pulse..was very touching. There was something about this moment between these two. The grown up Unbreakable sword saving his young King from dying and his assurance of checking the pulse to ensure he did his job. Then the flashback of young LG crying and making him the unbreakable sword. JY only wanted LG to be happy and by saving his younger king, he knew he had turned that crying LG into a happy one. He remembers LG crying because that was when LG was so sad inside. It was also one of the pivotal moment when JY decided he would always be in any battleground with him. In this battlefield, he made sure to save his younger King so that his present King will live happily. 

and of course, i will not ever forget the epic rescue scene. The raw emotions displayed by TE when LG showed up..her cries of despair turned into hope when he raced towards her. She was exhausted and bloodied but never gave up. Only when LG showed up did she lower her despair and cry tears of relief. She thought no one would find her. But LG found her. And the music..right on cue when LG charges with Maximus to her. And the words: “Protect her. She is the future Queen of KOC.” My heart!! :wub: 

i voted yes for a season 2 :D only with the same leads. 

for my third vote, LG/TE needs to be a couple again! And Maximus needs to have a family too. He deserves it just as much as LG to have an heir ;) :P

what choices did you guys choose and why? 

@Joanna Alfson haha i pass my blessings to you too. What did you vote for?

whoa. It’s already 1:40 am here. Dang, i need to sleep soon..again lol

edit

@yonhap i dont write fanfics anymore for the time being :D it’s been a long while since I have written anything haha. But do continue with yours ;)

Edit 2

@SweetButters BTS for episode 16 is up!!! Pali! Let’s watch it :D

• Like 2
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, philosophie said:

What does PPL stand for? I’m seeing it everywhere in the dramabean summary and comments

PPL stands for Product PLacement. It's other words for CF or ads. 

@vangsweetie637 LMH is the first oppa that brought me to kdrama addict. Hahaha. And thanks to him, I find more oppas along the way. It doesn't mean we are unfaithful it's just our heart has too many loves. So it's much fair to share it with everyone. Ahn Yooma is just so right. Her lines are every fangirl motto. Hahahahaha

@SweetButters :lol: I guess they must prepare for it. Well, as far as I know they rarely share lots of deleted or uncut scenes of the drama. They might give one or two. But the complete versions of it, as I ever mentioned in my earlier posts, they are frequently for DVD director's cut release. We haven't got news of this for TKEM. But maybe they will inform us later. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer062287 said:

There is one particular gesture that I really loved about his portrayal of Jo Yeong - that subtle head-tilt-to-the-side when thinking gesture. I don't know if y'all remember that, but he did that the first time he talked to Seung-Ah (the scene after LG brought food to TE in episode 5), he did that when he was watching ES cut his hair short (in episode 8, I think), and a couple of other times. I never saw him do that when portraying ES. Clearly shows us how much he (WDH) knows his two characters.

@Wanderer062287 Oh yea I noticed that too!!!!!! I think that was the moment that MSA had sparked his interest in her haha!!! Oh if you go back to that scene between JY and ES where JY asks ES "Do you like her?" and ES says "Of course, who wouldn't?!", just look at JY's eyes as they move slightly down like he was kinda disappointed or sad :bawling: !!!! I was like wow wow WDH!!!! Yea in that semi long interview with WDH, he said he spent a lot of time thinking how to act out both ES and JY and it definitely shows he put so much work into it!!!

58 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@vangsweetie637 Right??!! I would want it too sans LR lol. Think of all the cool vacations you could take with it lol. HAHHA see joining forums are such a great idea !!! They allow you to discuss with others about shows you commonly watch or inspire you to write awesome fanfics!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA it's always ok to have a lot of oopas !!!!! 

I just watched the BTS...THAT WAS IT?!!!! LIKE WTH :rage: THERE HAS TO BE MORE !!!!

18 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

@SweetButters :lol: I guess they must prepare for it. Well, as far as I know they rarely share lots of deleted or uncut scenes of the drama. They might give one or two. But the complete versions of it, as I ever mentioned in my earlier posts, they are frequently for DVD director's cut release. We haven't got news of this for TKEM. But maybe they will inform us later. 

@Alice Wonderland Darn hahah!!!!! Well I need to find some way to get ahold of the DVD director's cut then!!! HAHHAHA I would be dead if there was a wedding scene in there along with more JY/MSA + JY/KOC twin siblings!! Shooo I would pay for internationally shipping just to own that hahahah!!!!:love:

1 hour ago, Thong Thin said:

@SweetButtersyou were right on WDH. Is not easy to switch between ES & JY  characters with all those subtle movements whats more back and forth the Busan accent. I have watched My Country , but did not  realised that is WDH with those hot sexy abs ! :joy:

TKEM is indeed a complicated and confusing drama. My daughter keep texting me, "Mum, i really dont get what is going on".

Should I discontinue ? :joy: .

To me is a good drama, well written and very unique by itself. LMH & KGE really immerse into the charactors very well and not forgetting WDH. He deserved an award.

Kudos to them !

@Thong Thin Oh yea I definitely click on "My Country" and scroll to the waterfall scene with WDH hahah I was like oh god im about to faint hahah!!! Awww your poor daughter trying to understand TKEM haha !! I wouldn't blame her for not understanding TKEM, its definitely not easy to :joy:!!!! Oh yea LMH and KGE definitely did such a great job and had such incredible chemistry !!! HAHAHA YESS WDH DOES NEED AN AWARD FOR HIS PORTRAYAL OF JY AND ES !!!! 

Edited:

Jk SBS catch uploaded 3 BTS videos on their YouTube channel which are a total of 30 mins long, but it says it's not available for people in the US to view :rage:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3