[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

28 minutes ago, graceyco said:

I mean, this is  something I have definitely not seen before and I applaud KES for her brilliant and intricate mind.

I agree. This is not your typical romance drama. It's like thriller, mystery, romance, comedy combined into one. For KES to be able to come up with this kind of storyline that makes her viewers think and wonder only shows how good of a writer she is. 

28 minutes ago, graceyco said:

And I guess what I loved most about this episode is against all the exciting happenings, there's always a small breathing room for you to enjoy the little things. The little things that deliver and convey the biggest message - that little love confession in the middle.. and I am not saying this because I'm a shipper (haha I know I am but hear me out) but because this is definitely a signature KES move. This is her beautiful writing shining and now I remember that feeling. That feeling of having my heart ache in the most beautiful way. The feeling of slowly accepting the consequences of loving a story that would definitely be my undoing in the future. 

Exactly. Soooo on point. Won't elaborate further.

As for the rating, I am not expecting it to go over 2 digits anymore. We are way past that chance. Unless more viewers will watch from episode 1 until 8 to keep up with the story, then it may be possible. Nevertheless, I know that it will be able to maintain its current rating since it has established regular viewers already. 

I am very much sure that LMH will be able to show us good fight scenes and more emotional scenes where he can showcase his acting prowess. I can't wait to see that. 

If I may just add, for me the HL of the episode last night was the last scene. Kudos to JY and SJ for showing us a realistic fight scene. The confrontation between LG and SJ is amazing! That was one hell of an ending! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I also feel the pain of LMH's screen time.  I wonder if knetizens are commenting about his screen time vs KSJ's.  I also want more of my ship GonJo-Anyone can see how great LMH and WDH look together when they are in a scene together.  

Please no, I do not want KSJ to be related to LG in any way.  That would add to his screen time.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

As a character, LG doesn't have much flaws. He's smart, a good king, handsome, strong and talented. Makes one wonder what character development would he have to have? All other characters have so much more going on for them. That is not to say LG can't have character development. I think it'll just be mild compare to other characters. LG has a very stable character. He has to because he's shouldering a nation on his shoulder.

I actually agree with you here... LG character is already perfect. He’s already developed for the last 25 years. Maybe what we need here is to see more ‘depth’ of this character. For now, other than the perfect king figure/ trauma/ PTSD things that he had, we barely see the other side of him. But I hope we’ll get more of that in the latter part of the series when he has to deal with LR’s 25 years plan.Oh...and also his ROK mother! 

I do like episode 8 so far. Especially when other characters can carry the whole story without focusing on LG. I mean...this show doesn’t have to rely on only one character being on screen, but instead, having ‘The King‘ as the center of this whole story. Everything is moving according to his action even he’s not physically presence. That’s what I like about this story.

By the way, why the yo-yo boy has such a old hands? I can see it clearly when the yo-yo went down and his hand is back to normal again when he catch it. Man...that’s creepy.

Spoiler

KeIhTjc.jpg7NVj3YK.jpg

• Like 5
  • Insightful 5

In regards to emphasis on SJ’s backstory in recent episodes, I think we can all agree he’s going to play a very important part in defeating LR.

For LG, his character was handled in a different way than is usual: he doesn’t have much character development to his personality, as if to express his part in the story isn’t personality/belief development, but how his change in character affects his relationship with the other characters and how he deals with these emotional changes. Primarily in the form of his developing relationship with TE. With this, he felt like an established character from the beginning.

The audience aka we already know his backstory, and we are shown he has PTSD privy only to his inner circle and a change of demeanour when he’s with TE in Corea. Now all we need is to flesh out the rest of his allies to keep up to speed, to ahem fulfil his destiny.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

I also feel the pain of LMH's screen time.  I wonder if knetizens are commenting about his screen time vs KSJ's.  I also want more of my ship GonJo-Anyone can see how great LMH and WDH look together when they are in a scene together.  

Please no, I do not want KSJ to be related to LG in any way.  That would add to his screen time.  

LOL!!!! :lol:  I don't know why I laughed so hard at this. Thank you!!

• LOL 5

Hmmm... 

I think, this show should be called "The Eternal Monarch" or "The Eternal Kingdom" 

Instead of The King : Eternal Monarch which the role of the king seems played only as an ornament.

Hahahaha

Sorry. 

:sweat_smile:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Even though LMH has less screen time in ep 8,the most powerful scenes comes from him. Shin jae is from ROC is actually revealed through his mother looking at his photo in the bookstore. But i actually get that twist's feel when LMH said 'I am your king'. And also when they caught one of his fathers killer.oh that scene i got goosebumps looking at LMH.Its one of the best scene i get to see king lee gon. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Sorry, I cut your post short chingu. Just wanted to chime in on a few things. 

1) How I interpret this scene is she tried to commit suicide but was never successful. We’ve seen in earlier episodes that she is under close watch so my guess is, she never succeeded because they would stop her before she died.

2) I hope it takes both sides of the flute to travel back in time and not just one. If Lee Rim could time travel, he would have done so much damage by now. I reckon he’d gone back and let the guards kill Lee Gon instead of taking it upon himself. He would also have stopped Lee Gon from cutting the flute in half. I think things can get out of hands if it was that easy to travel back.

Logically speaking, what you said make sense. They could have save her in time when she cut herself. 

However if she is always cutting herself, I don't think she has the freedom to go out of the house because they will never know if she will try other ways to die?

I do need to rewatch it. Lol. I think there are no guards inside the house with her unless LR unlock and enter the house?

Else why would she say she won't die, she can't die? They will always bring her back to life again?

79849f07-1923-4e2f-b767-8eef4d434ce6.gif

Hence I think the power of the half flute to turn back time is cut short. LOL

But I do agree that if LR had the power to time travel to even further timeline, it could really be disastrous.

So how about new magical speculations?

The flute can revive people? :joy:

To be honest, I don't want anymore backstory of how LG and JY grew up.

He's not in a mess. So we don't need to see that. Lol

SJ's backstory is important because his real mum is in KOC and it could be one of the key importance for LG to finally realise more things and be 1 step ahead of LR.

Jangmi need no backstory. He is adorable. I love that he is a softie and I hope he and JTE's team members will all be able to help JTE and our King.

Lastly, sometimes I don't understand human.

Kim Goeun received so much criticism for her look and I'm upset that they even incorporated plastic surgery into the drama for her.

Is that necessary?

She's a natural beauty and I love the way she looks.

Double eyelids will spoil that beautiful face of hers.

I wish they can just stay away from her drama if they can't stand her and stop criticising her.

I remembered during Goblin time, she even has to delete her first instsgram account because of the criticism of her without make up on her HOLIDAY at the beach?!

For goodness sake, who wears make up to the beach?

We can be anything on the internet and I simply don't understand why some chose to be an idiot and keyboard warriors. 

Edit:

@mamabear I don't know.. but the lady guard does look suspicious even without switching.

I can't stop the uneasiness feeling whenever the camera zoomed in on her after the murder.

But I could be wrong. They could have purposely make it this way to misguide us and screw our brain a bit. Lol

Afterall, doppelganger in ROK should be listening about her with the 2G phone.

@Heretorant I love Paul Kim. He is always singing the OST of my favourite dramas!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Heilo said:

KES mistake was tho not realizing that a storm was brewing for her as she should have graciously avoided going on SBS and just opt for Netflix as the show is already a hit for her and just focus on another season to follow this one. It was unnecessary for her going to SBS or any other channel in that matter which is the main cause as she generally didn't need the extra money from SBS. I think for her second season it should solely be on Netflix and avoid the drama that comes from SK and the media play being conducted by some powerful agencies who are out for her and LMH. It would be in her best interest to avoid it next time and market her drama away from them. As for the drama as awhole it's enjoying alot of success away from the drama it has been dragged into in SK mainly on the public TV. SK should really limit these agencies powers who are ruthless enough to release a 10 year old scandal before a drama airs 

More likely sponsors play a major part. Netflix caters to an international audience BUT most of the products seen in the series are not available nor marketed outside SK. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

3 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

The guy who sang the ost "Dream"

Hahaha. I feel so slow. I think the thread moved so I didn't see that in the first post of the page there was a Paul Kim but I was already in the half way of the thread. I was located in different place on the thread sorry but thanks for clarifying it.

@Hikki

I know she would have to drop the sponsors but I think she should have dropped them. I don't think the sponsors are paying her more than Netflix anyways and as this is hit for her she will likely get a bigger budget to produce 

• LOL 1

9 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

This

Cant agree more with you, and @Heretorant and @Nikaa94 and many more that wrote regarding that concern. 

His PTSD, is one of treasure that should be explored more. Believe me, story that emerges around that is always so interesting to tell. Attract sympathy from the viewers. And LMH is known to be one of the best when it comes to the intense scenes. His eyes is so powerful. Could bring the shiver down to spine when look at them in intense scenes. 

Also his relationship with WDH. That would be another epic. I honestly, prefer watching this kind of story rather than romance between the leads. 

So writernimmm

I beg your wisdom. 

Please bring your wise plot in the rest episode. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KRISHNENDU M said:

Even though LMH has less screen time in ep 8,the most powerful scenes comes from him. Shin jae is from ROC is actually revealed through his mother looking at his photo in the bookstore. But i actually get that twist's feel when LMH said 'I am your king'. And also when they caught one of his fathers killer.oh that scene i got goosebumps looking at LMH.Its one of the best scene i get to see king lee gon. 

Exactly! Such little screen time but his scenes were the most powerful! That’s why I wish they would shift focus on him in the upcoming episodes. Imagine how epic it will be if more scenes were just as powerful. I‘m going to kindly drop what @briseis said earlier here. 

”Objectively speaking, the best scenes in quality today were LG's confrontation with LR's former bodyguard, LG's and Yeong's bromance and their face-off with Shin Jae. I'm sure those were the scenes most people who were watching got goosebumps from excitement.”

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, KRISHNENDU M said:

Yes. 

The last scene, with the trio, also the one when LG confronts his traitor, are the best scenes that shine the most. 

• Like 6