[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

6 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

I don't watch a lot K-drama, but for few that I watched I found the intimate scene unnaturally prudent. Who wear full-on cloth to bed? or taking shower with towel on? I thought that's because the strict media rating system in Korea. Then some years ago, we went to Handmaiden's North America screening, it totally changed our view of Korean actors. :wub:

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but just adding to the discussion on intimate scenes. I watched Kim Tae Ri (another one of my faves in addition to KGE)  in Mr Sunshine first before The Handmaiden. I was stunned for a bit because I didn't expect it from a Korean movie, but I guess I'm just not that familiar with the movie side.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lisa_BB said:

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but just adding to the discussion on intimate scenes. I watched Kim Tae Ri (another one of my faves in addition to KGE)  in Mr Sunshine first before The Handmaiden. I was stunned for a bit because I didn't expect it from a Korean movie, but I guess I'm just not that familiar with the movie side.  

I have seen few of Korean movies were it gets not only adult but really adult even Gangnam Blues it was heavy and Kim rae won was butt naked 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

i need to re watch and spend twice concentration to watch this again coz honestly i really don't get the whole story of this drama at all.... the murders... why? so i will according o Na Ri said that the universe has to be in balance so the other doppelganger must destroyed.

Lee Lim what is he's going to do? why he keep delaying the second coup? he did painting in temple for what? is there something important with the new color he apply? and if he knew Lee Gon is out of their world why he didn't do the coup that time? isn't he know well that the palace is empty and its very easy to do the coup  then destroy the pararel worl's gate? instead doing that he just go to take his umbrella....am I missing a lot in this drama?... the old prince where does he stand why so many mystery unsolved... the plot is too heavy and romance is too little, its really not like KES cliche or am I wrong?

and how these Corea's people end up to be in Republic Korea world? who is helping them? Lee Lim? or Luna? What is her motive as she said she has a lot of money but she seems to be gentle to the little kid, I don't think Lee Lim and Luna work together. and who sent the newspaper to PM Koo? 

About KGE I see many bashing her, but why? she act good I never compare her in this drama with her in Goblin, its 2 different people for me. 

I really need to spend more time and concentration to rewatch this, I really had no idea about the story line

Welcome to the world of questions and What ifs... that's one of the attraction of this drama for me but then.. it might be a turn off for some.  Well anyway, it is up to us how to make this viewing an interesting experience for us.    You're welcome to throw in as many questions that you want, but you might not get the full answers yet. 

Watching once is never enough, watching twice or more ... are preferable if you have the  time to spare and if you have more extra time to spare you can also do some backreading because they are so many talented viewers with all types of analysis and observation.  However I've also have given up of reading every posts here that are so fast for me to catch up.  Forgive me for that... and for the health of my mind too ... thank you to the friends who tagged me so that I will never miss their important posts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

:blink: you gave his reaction a whole new meaning :lol:. Are you perhaps suggesting his mind was in the gutter? :lol: I’m slow so I didn’t catch this the first time but I think you may be on to something :lol::lol::lol:

————————————

Did someone ask if lmh ever did a bed scene? This is the closest thing to a bed scene he’s done. Watch out for his tongue :lol:

Hide contents

Hide contents

THere was a sort of bed scene in Personal Taste with Son Ye Jin.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, SweetButters said:

-------------------------

SPOILER FOR EP 9

So I found this vid which has the filming of some scenes which I think are in ep. 9 since the background looks very similar to the ep.9 preview! Skip to timestamp 1:22!

Reveal hidden contents

So in the following part, I can't quite tell if that's JY or ES, because it seems like based on the clumsy running by JY/ES actor it could be ES there (look at right corner with guy in black suit; usually JY dresses differently from the other guards)?? Also shows WDH jumping in front so then Im not sure if its JY or ES there.

--------------------------

Omg yes!!!!! That means the swap of JY and JES. JY stays and corporates with JTE and SJ (?maybe), ES leaves with LG and takes the role of Unbreakable Sword for real .

I must say it takes me so much bravery and brain to keep watching this drama as I go against many of my K-drama friends (they gave up) and I have to rewatch again and again to think about the plot. That’s how I love this drama - making me curious and can never give up till I understand .

To be honest, I like how natural JTE is, I like her natural look (so authentic), I like LG (although I am not a fan of LMH), this role is really for LMH acting, being slow, calm, elegant, not expressive, all those should be how a King looks like and act upon. I like all characters and stories involving them, each one plays important key to the whole story. And my fav of course are JY and JES, always.

I feel like I have signed up for a module that is so tough and interesting at the same time. Many students may drop but many stay too. I must go to class every Fri, Sat, do so much homework (rewatch and analyze) and have group assignment, group discussion (@soompi) in order to pass the module with flying colors. Let’s wish that our module will have all student score A+ with happy ending. That’s more meaningful than the rating to me.

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 16
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

He wants to rule both worlds. He knew the flute would allow him to travel between worlds so he wanted to get the flute. Him painting the temple is just him signifying putting his history in that place and time. He didn't do a coup as you suggested since he's been slowly gathering people and replacing people inbetween both worlds. Even if he knew LG crossed the gate and left COR, he knew LG would return to COR so he's not rushing with his plan. He's been working on his plan already for 20+ years. He has no plans to destroy the gate since he wants to rule both worlds. The umbrella lets him cross the gate because it's the flute, well half the flute since LG has the other half, his whip. 

The old prince sides with LG, but he didn't have enough evidence to bring to LG about LR's "dead body" so he kept the secret, but he later on revealed the forensics to LG so LG knew for sure LR is still alive. 

You're right this kdrama is very plot heavy, that's why some of us complain over lack of screens for some of our favorite characters. 

As I've said in paragraph 1, LR had been replacing people in both worlds so he cna have powerful people who work for him in both worlds. Luna has no real motive except to survive just like any poverty stricken people, but LR is going to bribe her with money to get her on his side. She does treat kids nice though. I think she hates the adult world with all its rules and the fact she's suffering in this COR society. She isn't rich. She just tells the kid that to reassure him. She steals money to survive. 

LR is probably the one sending PM the newspaper. He knows her mother so he probably used her address. 

Thank you!!!! That lighten me up a little bit but still the murders bugging me. 

LG said there are 5 people who will help him, who said that? And who are the 5 person? JTE and Yeong exist in both world and little LG killed by LR in earlier episode so it means LG in this world is none. 

This is tiring actually, too many character too many story and the yoyo boy and the lady who keep the umbrella... this is too heavy and not like KES even the bromance...

• Like 2

Wow - 233+ pages after only 8 episodes .... I've almost given up on trying to read it all .... almost :blush:

Quick question - after a binge re-watch session I noticed something I missed before - in ep 1 Maximus is a "he" in episode 5 Maximus is a "she"  -

I know its a trivial point, and doesn't change the story in any way, but was this ever addressed in any manner? 

LCO

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

2 minutes ago, Yippeun_eonnie said:

Thank you!!!! That lighten me up a little bit but still the murders bugging me. 

LG said there are 5 people who will help him, who said that? And who are the 5 person? JTE and Yeong exist in both world and little LG killed by LR in earlier episode so it means LG in this world is none. 

This is tiring actually, too many character too many story and the yoyo boy and the lady who keep the umbrella... this is too heavy and not like KES even the bromance...

5 people JTE add number to LG phone, she told him that these 5 numbers will help him. I cant really recall all 5 but include SJ number.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

That would be too much scandal on top of if SJ's real mom really had an affair with LG's father because would that mean LR had liked LG's mother? My brain is already going in loops with our other clues. :sweat_smile:

I wrote in a hurry so there are some words that make you misunderstand. But I'm talking about Lee Ji Hun's mother ( the boy is LG's doppelgänge)

12 hours ago, pixie0622 said:

Like that scene with LG’s doppelgänger’s mom: when she said that “they” will bring her back to life again, director showed her wrist scars. My take is that she’s tried to kill herself several times (having caused her child’s death indirectly) but LR didn’t let her die. But others here interpret this as she’s time-traveled. I don’t like it when I’m confused :unsure:

Lee Ji Hun's mother is still at ROK. 25 years ago when LL talked about her son's and her husband's death, he forced her not to accuse him and has to live with him (as a wife). I think LL really likes LG’s doppelgänger’s mom because she's beautiful too.

So in last week's episodes, there was a scene where LL went back home and told her to eat alone or she went out to eat, then he went into the dark room and she was crying. She was provided with all her material needs, but she was closely monitored everywhere.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Alice Wonderland said:

So the question raises from here. Luna hasn't worked with LR before. LR barely knows about her and plan to meet her for a deal. So why did Luna bait LG in the first place, showing him to the other world? Did someone ask her to do so? Who? She's been in jail. How could she appears in front of TE's rear view?? Or it's just how TE feels something is off just like how SR see the reflection of her other self on the tv screen? From what I've seen, SR told Luna about TE who just look like her, perhaps her twins. Okay, I feel quite glad that she thinks this way. Lol. And Luna seems pretty clueless of it. Or she just pretend to be so. Anyway.... this lead to this crazy idea that actually she's one who comes from Korea but because of LR's did, just like what he did to SJ probably, and switches to TE?? Does this make sense? Well, not sure. But knowing TE's mom died of sickness leaves me the interpretation of that.

Actually come to think of it.

When LG first met Luna, it wasn't planned. 

Luna was just running away from the group of gangsters.

And someone pointed out that LR was at the scene of rowing competition, so what are the chances that he had someone donning the rabbit jacket outfit to lure LG out the 2nd time?

And talking about LR's long stewing of coup.

I'm thinking that LR is trying to swap people here and there so that he will has supporters who will support him taking the throne since he has money and power to overthrow LG.

Either by force abdication because of money and power or poison since so many minions seems to be inside the palace as well.

Or he didn't know the whereabouts of the other half of the flute until LG crossed over.

So now he know LG has the possession of the half flute, maybe that is when he will speed things up faster? 

@romance06 yes! Great mind.

I also wonder if LR actually like the Queen back in Corea and since he can't have her in Corea, he is keeping the mirror image of her alive.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, DramaAddicted said:

I actually agree with you here... LG character is already perfect. He’s already developed for the last 25 years. Maybe what we need here is to see more ‘depth’ of this character. For now, other than the perfect king figure/ trauma/ PTSD things that he had, we barely see the other side of him. But I hope we’ll get more of that in the latter part of the series when he has to deal with LR’s 25 years plan.Oh...and also his ROK mother! 

Reveal hidden contents

Same here. I have expected to see the King living with nightmare, trauma, fear, particularly at night alone because of the tragic event. How did he grow up to be a man with such sunny deposition? A broken man that struggles to defeat his inner demon is a much more attractive and powerful character. We will also get to see the actor stretching his acting muscle more. I fully expected that writer would peel LG's character like onion layer by layer in each episode. I even dedicated a song for him for  later use to reclaim his crown when those moments come. 8 episodes in, we still have a very sunny King, who is smart and cool headed. There seems to be no trace of deep pain left from that tragic night. I am still holding out hope for King's character to deepen, but time is running out ......

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 8

Despite all the frustrations and whingeing, this about sums my feelings of Monarch, posted at another forum: "The Monarch has the longest What It Should Have Been in all directions of editing, story telling and pacing, etc. but I am sticking with it. Story is intriguing, LMH is visuals, KGE and WDH are superb actors, Shin Jae is arresting, Lady Noh is fun, ... nah not dropping ever."

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Wow - 233+ pages after only 8 episodes .... I've almost given up on trying to read it all .... almost :blush:

Quick question - after a binge re-watch session I noticed something I missed before - in ep 1 Maximus is a "he" in episode 5 Maximus is a "she"  -

I know its a trivial point, and doesn't change the story in any way, but was this ever addressed in any manner? 

Its original name in the show was Scarlett, but the horse would only respond/controllable by its actual name Maximus.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

LCO

Knowing there‘s 233+ pages already, you wouldn’t be surprised it was a hot topic at one point lol. 

Thanks to the wonderful viewers on here who did all the work, I think we came to conclusion that Maximus was not referred to as a girl but there was mistranslation. The word they used to call him was “Nari” which stands for lord I believe. Or at least that’s what I remember we came to conclusion with lol. 

But I think some of us are still deciding :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if anyone already mentioned about this but...Did LR has 2 umbrellas with the half of the flute each? One of them is faked? I don’t know what’s going on here lol. He left it at the fish market since ep 3 and how come he can travel back and forth btw 2 worlds like that. Not to mention about the gate that he use. There should be more than one gate, right?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Heretorant said:

Did someone ask if lmh ever did a bed scene? This is the closest thing to a bed scene he’s done. Watch out for his tongue :lol:

Hide contents

Hide contents

He did one for Gangnam Blues, I dunno if you guys watched that. LMH was extremely good in that.  LMH  had a sex scene with Kim Ji Su.  However, the scene was removed by the Director and not shown in the film. Rae Won had one and it was shown. 

Edited by Jillia
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

A little help here ...

After JTE says - "I love you" - as she opens the car door, LG says something that Netflix subs translates as -"ditto"

As I'm learning Korean (albeit slowly) I thought he said "me too" - but its definitely not "ditto"  ...... the King wouldn't say ditto.

Or did he? :unsure:

You were right.  The King said in Korean "나도" Romanise "nado" It means "Me too" .... I guess the translator chose the word "ditto" since the viewers will get that they both have mutual feelings of love for each other.

p.s I was  the one who wrote about Maximus - I'm sticking with a HE.  There was even an article about it somewhere.... but i'm letting it go passed by ... since there are other topics that need to be discussed. :blush:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

16 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

He did one for Gangnam Blues, I dunno if you guys watched that. LMH was extremely good in that. 

He was brilliant! 

After this drama, I’d love for him to do a dark genre film. :D

• LOL 1
  • Awesome 2

Saw some people earlier asking for eng sub of the ep 9 preview (I assume y'all have the video itself from other sources, see previous pages)
I understand Chinese fluently so I'm translating from a Chinese subbed ep 9 preview on Weibo (微博).
JY: Why did a child get swapped over (to the other world)?
SJ: I know.
JTE: I've been pretending I'm ok, but I can't keep pretending.

Lady Noh: Doesn't fate begin from there?
Na-ri: Doesn't Eun sop seem weird recently?

Eun sop(pretending to be JY): Yes (in Eun sop's tone)? Okay (in JY's tone).
LG: The answer has been revealed to this problem a long time ago.

LG: You need to hide well for this to work.
Na-ri/doppelgänger: How does the appearance exactly match Lee Rim's when he was alive?
PM: You're not getting married?
JTEWe don't have time.
LG: Can you live with me in my world? 

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by blobbityblobbityblob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 13