[Drama 2019] Watcher, 왓쳐

larus

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching ep 3 and 4.  So who was the masked mn who cut HTJ thumb? Is it JHR or....? The preview for ep 5 said "It wasn't JHR" they're referring top the past?  so who's the real culprit?   I was waiting for the confrontation between HTJ and JHR and they did..  briefly in the hospital. I wonder why she asked  him out of nowhere '' where does our humanity come from?". He replied ' I'm not sure. Is it a feeling of sympathy for other people's pain' He wondered why she suddenly asked the question.. She didn't answer but the look she gave him..as he walk way.. she was trying hold... fear or tears. She must've have recalled something from the past.

JHR has more of the 'aura' than DCG and it matches well with the 'aura' of HTJ.

@titania1000 yeah the slow mo.. I like her choice of fashion. She dresses smart too.

Omg. This show!!! Solid characters. Straightforward and SUPER tight storytelling. Pretty much the perfect palate cleanser to everything I’ve been watching so far this year. 

Also got my mother (who has never watched a kdrama in her life but loves all cop shows), to watch episode 1 with me this weekend and she just called asking where she can watch the rest. 

(SJK should wear a cop uniform for his street clothes)

5FBE6C5C-8B32-482A-B43D-8700C6BE74B9.gif

I think I need definition of their unit , what their roles are :joy: the team seems to be acting more or less as a Homicide Unit now instead of the inspector Unit . 

Why everyone doing the same case :lol: 

6 hours ago, jongski said:

She didn't answer but the look she gave him..as he walk way.. she was trying hold... fear or tears. She must've have recalled something from the past.

i think she is losing bits of her cool when prosecutor lee died.. she almost got the info of “who high up there” did the cruel cut thumb deed to her and the rest of the victims.. :mellow: the higher rank man in the prosecutor office.. the one who was in the scheme with prosecutor lee and abandoned him when the plot flopped, he might be one of the people involved..

@titania1000 Kim Hyun Joo unnie is soo pretty!! haha she throws off a natural Ace professional woman aura in all her dramas :wub:

I love our team of investigators. What I like about this crime show is that we get a little satisfaction even when the higher up baddies are not caught.

What happened to Tae joo was very traumatising. She is a really a tough lady if she can compose herself after being threaten with a knife, again, at her home. It is normal to have fear but she overcomes it.  

I hope she get a chance to catch the people behind her attack.

I like what they are doping with Jang Hae-Ryong. We know he is shady but it will be interesting to know more about him. 

When Tae Joo asked him "where does our humanity come from?" it was her way to confront a suspect. She suspects him.  We saw that she was very tense, hiding her nervousness  (her hand has the mark of her brutal attack) but still asked the question. I think Jang Hae Ryong`s answer surprised her. I think he was relaxed, like he really doesn`t know what she is talking about. Maybe she  realized that he is not the man she is looking for. We`ll see. It is good that we don`t know for sure if Jang Hae Ryong is the guity one or not.

If I remember corectly, Kim Kang-Wook also used this line "where does our humanity come from? and he had the same modus operandi, he cut the fingers of his victims. He mentioned that there is a police officer who uses the line and does the same thing to the victims.  Now, when Mr Kim was executed and he lost the big finger also, it sugests that the atacker of Tae Joo is the same man who killed Mr Kim. This man did not kill Young-Koon when he had the opporunity, he spared his life. If it is not Jang Hae Ryong, I wonder who he is.

I'm semi-enjoying this show but hope we don't get a case of the week like show with a vague attachment to the main storyline, episodic tv shows are so outdated.

Also wish the young male lead wasn't so useless - I get he's the fighter and a bit rash but he has just come across as incompetent in most aspects so far. Both suspects dying on his watch, especially the first one where he just lets the guy go into the toilets, has no idea if there's windows in there that will allow the suspect to escape. Only to go in however minutes later to find him dead. It was even funnier because he told the other male lead to let him go and to trust him to keep an eye on him only for the suspect to die.

How far behind was he the second guy as well to not see some guy walk up behind on the stairs that are presumably the only way too the roof?

I know they needed the suspects to die for the story but I wish they had done it in a  way that didn't make the characters look dumb. The young male lead is the only actor I recognise in this show so naturally have a bit more affinity towards him so hoping he becomes more competent at some point and he's not just there to beat up and get beat up.

Welcome to the thread :mrgreen: 

Also wish the young male lead wasn't so useless -

a bit rash

incompetent in most aspects 

Let me think what he would say to all this :joy:

89AF0E12-97EA-4263-AB6A-90AC933A9F8F.gif

6927DDBA-D945-4CA7-B258-7DC816C46654.gif

He should learn from his female team mate  :naughty: who successfully  bring a man down  without killing him :joy: 

DFAC97CB-475B-47AB-8D34-2771728FBC92.gif

15 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

Seems like the same man to which HTJ said in the preview for the next episode to do something for his son. Is he KYG's dad?

I think he is Young-Koon`s father. I wonder if the case of his father is done, if there is more to it.

Maybe he knows something about Tae Joo`s attacker.

1 hour ago, titania1000 said:

I'm really intrigued: is he really the murderer and corrupted cop that everyone made him to be or has he been played by someone? Or did he assume the murder of his wife to protect his son?

This case is not that clear for me. Young Koon says his father killed his mother but it gave me the impresion that he did not witness the murder. He thinks that his father was the killer. I have to rewatch to be clear.

When Young Koon saw Cha Hoon`s father begging for his son`s life, it trigged a memory for Young Koon. His mother begged the killer to spare his son`s life. It doesn`t seem that she is asking her husband to spare the son`s life. I know that there are cases when men have kill their wife and children but often is followed by their suicide or their surrender. It was a moment of madness. I could not imagine Young Koon`s father, a cop, killing his wife in cold blood while she was begging him to spare their son`s life, he left his son hidding in the bathroom and run away. Something is not right.

And as we saw, Do Chi-Gwang found Young Koon in the bathroom. He was hiding and he was very scared. There was no other people at the crime scene.

I am sure that Do Chi Gwang and Han Tae Joo investigated the case and there were evidence that pointed Young Koon`s father as the culpit. Maybe he confessed too because he wanted to protect his son.There is a high posibility that the police officer that Tae Joo is searching is connected to that old case. We`ll see.

4 hours ago, titania1000 said:

I need to check her other roles: she did a lot of romcom which is a genre that  i rarely watch but if she carries the same ultra competent vibe, poised grace, natural elegance and sophisticated style to her romantic roles, i'm willing to follow her here. :w00t:

1. What is happening to our family.. a very heartwarming family plot.. she acted as the eldest daughter.. super diligent PA to a big organization CEO

2. I had a lover.. a super ruthless lawyer who lost her memory and became a lawfirm assistant with great sense of justice (Ji Jin Hee acted as her ex husband.. ooooh, a very charismatic man!! :wub:)

3. Fantastic.. a production writer detected with stage 4 breast cancer.. her struggles with this shock and true love (Joo Sang Wook acted as her boyfriend and husband amidst the painful path of fighting cancer :wub:)

4. Miracle that we met.. wife of the rich husband who actually died but body being inhabited by the other guy who had the same name n birthdate as the husband.. a fantasy but with very good storyline.. touching :tears: the guy acted as her husband is Kim Myung Min

Checked this out because I'm a big fan of Kim Hyun Joo :D have been missing her a lot!

Glad to see there's some discussion on the drama here~ Like the points raised here so far. Some of my thoughts too:

4 episodes in and I'm also semi-enjoying this show. I realise that the scenes I like the most are those where we have Chi-kwang (CK), Tae-joo (TJ) or Young-goon (YG) interacting together (or in pairs). The 'case of the week' scenes, not so much. Agreeing with @Nam A here.

18 hours ago, Nam A said:

I'm semi-enjoying this show but hope we don't get a case of the week like show with a vague attachment to the main storyline, episodic tv shows are so outdated.

First off, the cases are kinda short (2 eps each) and they don't make you invested in the characters. The villains/criminals also feel pretty one-dimensional (and they somehow all just end up dying lol...). At this point the cases just feel like buildup to what happened in the past, with the recurring theme of the chopped-off thumbs and the police being behind it, albeit a very weak link.

I'm more interested to learn more about our 3 main characters, and what really happened 15 years ago. As mentioned, I feel more for those short scenes where we have our 3 main characters interacting with each other, be it TJ/YG with their common traumatic experiences, CK/TJ with their disagreements/personality differences or the somewhat fatherly-son CK/YG relationship. I have quite a lot of thoughts on their dynamics which maybe I'll post here more if I have the time haha :)

Regarding the individual characters, I feel right now we've been fed with the most information on Taejoo's past so far, and how we can see her desperation to find out who did that to her and her husband growing in the recent eps as she seems to edge closer to the truth. Really felt for her when she kept trying to get the name out of the prosecutor (and then he died), and then the chairman (who was handed over to JHR, too late again). In any case, she seems to be the most 'open' character so far, her main motive is to find who did it to her 7 years ago. CK and YG on the other hand I find them harder to fathom, and their intentions wrt to investigation team, they're more unknown to me right now. Anyway, looking ahead, I'm thinking we'll have more insights into CK/YG in the coming eps, especially with YG's dad's appearance in Ep05.

Some questions I have at this point:

- What CK put into the washing machine at YG's home back then (pretty suspicious and this has been of much discussion in the k-forums too)

- Why YG didn't get shot in that public toilet (where Mr Kim the trafficker got killed). Was the attacker someone who knew YG??

- Is there any link to what happened with CK/YG 15 years ago, and what happened to TJ 7 years ago? (sorry if I'm a bit slow and I missed it somewhere haha)

Oh and I'm really liking Taejoo so far, she's looking set to be among my favourite KHJ characters :D

4 hours ago, titania1000 said:

She looks fantastic in everything that she wears and it looks effortless, as if she was born to be awesome! B)

I need to check her other roles: she did a lot of romcom which is a genre that  i rarely watch but if she carries on the same competent vibe, poised grace, natural elegance and sophisticated style to her romantic roles, i'm willing to follow her here. :w00t:

In case, we didn't get me yet: she's my new role model and i want to be her:mrgreen:

We really don't deserve her! :bawling:

@titania1000 Haha sorry to interject but yes please do check out her other roles too! (hint: she's just as amazing there too)

I wouldn't say she did a lot of romcoms~ I think it's more of weekenders (no, not the current tvn/ocn types, but rather the KBS family dramas, MBC/SBS makjang dramas and the like) which aren't that popular with the international k-drama community (I just happen to be that rare pokemon who has watched more weekenders than primetime dramas :joy:). I first got to know her through a weekender too. If it's not too off-topic, may I recommend some of her works:

1. I Have A Lover (2015, 50 eps) - This is THE drama you have to watch if you mention KHJ. Her performance was phenomenal there, she picked up a Top Excellence Award for it too. If you're looking for "same competent vibe, poised grace, natural elegance and sophisticated style" this is it, and more :) caveat first though, it is 50 eps (which is not what most kdrama watchers i've seen are used to haha) and there is infidelity involved (her character gets cheated on). It's a melodrama genre which can be rather slow-moving (with the front parts kinda frustrating). Will understand if it's not your type. But her performance there was brilliant enough to overcome the shortcomings of the plot. Can't give more spoilers, but do check it out if you can! Till now, people still mention it as her 'life character' (in korean netizen terms, the best character of an actor/actress) oh just one last thing, her character's a lawyer there too :)

2. What Happens To My Family (2014, 50 eps) - the first drama I watched her in. This is a light-hearted family drama, but it does pack a punch in terms of emotional life lessons as well. You can expect more humour from her here~ She plays a very competent secretary here (kind of a Head Secretary in a company), so "competent vibe" would be right there + a lot more hilarity haha.  I liked her couple storyline here the most too (vs the other couples). Fun fact: Seo Kang Joon stars in this too! (though they do not have many scenes together) So they've reunited together here in Watcher after 5 years.

3. Cruel Palace: War of Flowers (2013, 50 eps - i guess you see the trend now HAHA) - this is a sageuk drama, she plays an antagonist lead here - an evil scheming concubine to the King. another outstanding performance from her here too, some people consider this one of her best characters too together with I Have A Lover. I have to say sageuk isn't really my type, but she managed to blow me away here too.

Off my head these are just some of my KHJ favourites :) Sorry for gushing so much about her here haha I'll hope to post more thoughts on CK/TJ/YG during the weekend too~

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

For me, they are both hiding something about the way the  investigation was conducted: it's not clear if they messed up with the evidences or just forced KYG's father to accept a bad deal but it looks not good on them. 

Yes, he did hide something in the washing machine. I can`t wait to know more about their past case. Also I want to know when Do Chi-Gwang and Han Tae Joo started to be estrange.

I personally like that there are new cases they have to work together. That`s when the team is going to become stronger. They will know each other better, they will trust each other, rely on one another. In the same time there is one case that link each other. 

1 hour ago, larus said:

I personally like that there are new cases they have to work together. That`s when the team is going to become stronger. They will know each other better, they will trust each other, rely on one another. In the same time there is one case that link each other. 

I like the new cases, too, because we get to see different sides of our characters in different situations.  

There are various questions I have about each of them, especially as it seems that the main three in our team have ties to one another from the past.  But that brings me to the one person who seems not to have ties:  Soo Yeon.  We know so little about her.  I really want to know why she is there on the Inspection team.  I have even wondered if the higher-ups in the police have "planted" her there to spy on Do because it seems like someone could be plotting something.  He was apparently working alone for awhile but now he suddenly has a team, so it seems reasonable to ask why.

51 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

i meant that DCK and HTJ were potentially in cahoots and hiding something (for good reasons) during the murder investigation of KYG's mother  which might have lead to HTJ's attack.

Maybe they are hiding something, they know something that we don`t know yet. They don`t seem very talkative about the old case either. 

With the appearence of Young Koon`s father in the next episode, we`ll find out more information.

56 minutes ago, thistle said:

We know so little about her.  I really want to know why she is there on the Inspection team.  I have even wondered if the higher-ups in the police have "planted" her there to spy on Do because it seems like someone could be plotting something. 

I like when she was honest and said that someone ordered her to be on the team. I have no doubt that that person wanted to have inside information about the team, to keep an eye on them.  I like her and I think she is genuine but it will be interesting to see what she will do when the person she "planted there" will want a "favor."

Archived