[Drama 2019] Let me hear your song, 너의 노래를 들려줘

0ly40

I'm continuing my re-watch.  And, of course, I've noticed a few more things.

Most disturbing:  JY has been using textbook gaslighting techniques to against HYY.  This is so textbook that he must have plotted his revenge very carefully.   

Spoiler
Spoiler

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual.....making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, gaslighting involves attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.  

A gaslighter's ultimate goal is to make their victim second-guess their every choice and question their sanity, making them more dependent on the gaslighter. A tactic which further degrades a target's self-esteem is for the gaslighter to ignore, then attend to, then ignore the victim again, so that the victim lowers their personal bar for what constitutes affection and perceives themselves as less worthy of affection.

There are two characteristics of gaslighting: The gaslighter wants full control of feelings, thoughts, or actions of the victim; and the gaslighter discreetly emotionally abuses the victim in hostile, abusive, or coercive ways.

.....credit to Wikipedia, although I checked a number of sources for information and all of them seemed to describe JY's behavior to a tee.

Despite this gaslighting, I believe that JY began to become fond of HYY even though he did not want to.  The book that he bought for her seems to make this clear.  Although we never see the cover of the book, I was able to find it and a full translation of the text. 

Spoiler

The Cat Who Lived a Million Times
Yoko Sano

There was a cat who could live for a million years.
He died a million times, and lived a million times.
He was a great tiger-striped cat.
A million people adored the cat,
And a million people cried when that cat died.
The cat never cried, not even once.

Once, the cat was a king's cat.
The cat hated the king.
The king was great at war, and was always at war.
And, he put the cat in a magnificent cage,
And took him out to war.
One day, the cat was hit by a flying arrow, and died.
The king embraced the cat and wailed during the battle.
The king stopped the war and returned to his castle.
And, he buried the cat in the castle's garden.

Once, the cat was a sailor's cat.
The cat hated the seas.
The sailor took the cat to all the seas of the world,
And all the ports of the world.
One day, the cat fell off the boat.
The cat could not swim.
The sailor hurriedly scooped up the cat with his net,
But the cat was soaked and dead.
The sailor embraced the cat which was now like a wet rag,
And wailed in a loud voice.
And, he buried the cat under the tree
In a park in a far-away port.

Once, the cat was the cat of a magician in a circus.
The cat hated the circus.
The magician put the cat inside a box every day,
And cut him in half with a saw.
Then, he removed the cat, still in one piece,
Out of the box to receive his applause.
One day, the magician made a mistake,
And really cut the cat in half.
The magician wailed in a loud voice,
Holding the two parts of the cat in each hand.
Nobody applauded him.
The magician then buried the cat behind the circus tent.

Once, the cat was a burglar's cat.
The cat hated burglars.
The burglar walked quietly through the dark town with the cat,
Just like a cat.
The burglar robbed only houses with dogs.
While the dog was barking at the cat,
The burglar opened the safes.
One day, the cat was bitten to death by the dog.
The burglar embraced the cat with the diamonds he stole,
And walked through the night town wailing in a loud voice.
Then, he went home and buried the cat in a small yard.

Once, the cat was the cat of a lonely grandmother.
The cat hated grandmothers.
The grandmother looked outside every day from a small window,
Holding the cat in her arms.
The cat was asleep all day on top of the grandmother's lap.
Time passed, and the cat died of old age.
The frail grandmother embraced the frail dead cat,
And cried all day.
The grandmother buried the cat under a tree in the yard.

Once, the cat was a little girl's cat.
The cat hated children.
The girl piggy-backed the cat, and slept clutching the cat.
When she cried, she wiped her tears on the cat's back.
One day atop the girl's back,
The holster to keep the cat secure wound around his neck,
And the cat died.
Holding the cat with the dangly neck, the girl cried all day.
And, she buried the cat under a tree in the yard.

The cat had no fear of dying.

Once, the cat wasn't anyone's cat.
He was a stray cat.
The cat was able to be his own cat for the first time.
The cat loved himself.
Since he was a great tiger-striped cat,
He became a great stray cat.

All the female cats wanted to be the cat's wife.
There were cats that gave him huge fish.
Others gave him premium mice.
Some cats brought rare catnip as a gift.
Other cats licked his tiger fur for him.
The cat said to all of them—
"I've died a million times! This is so ridiculous now!"
The cat loved himself more than anyone else.

But there was just one beautiful white cat 
That didn't even look at the cat.
The cat went over next to the white cat, and told her,
"I died a million times!"
The white cat just said, "Oh."
The cat became slightly upset, since he loved himself.
The next day, and the day after that, 
The cat went over to the white cat and told her,
"You haven't even finished one life."

One day, the cat did three somersaults in front of the white cat,
and said, "I once was a cat for a circus."
The cat started to say, "I have had a million—"
Then asked the white cat, "Can I be at your side?"
The white cat said, "Yes."
The cat stayed by the white cat for a long time.

The white cat had many cute kittens.
The cat no longer dared to say "I have had a million—"
The cat loved the white cat and all the many kittens
Even more than himself.

As time passed, the kittens grew up and all went away.
The cat, satisfied, said, "They became great stray cats now."
The white cat said, "Yes," and softly purred her throat.
The white cat had become a grandmother cat.
The cat purred his throat even more softly.
The cat thought that he wanted to live forever with the white cat.

One day, the white cat quietly stopped moving next to the cat.
The cat cried for the first time in his life.
Night came, morning came,
Night came again, and morning came again.
The cat cried a million times.
Morning came, night came—
and one afternoon, the cat stopped crying.
The cat, next to the white cat, quietly stopped moving.

The cat never came back to life again. 

credit:  Toshio on GoodReads

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/9377898?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Perhaps, just for a little while, HYY seemed like JY's white cat.....well, until his father's Go-To-Guy told him about HYY's interview with the police, and then JY went incredibly cold.

From cats we go to dogs.  I wanna know why Bucket-Hat-Guy kept playing Elton John's Yellow Brick Road on the phone to HYY.  And it's the same two lyric lines both times:

Spoiler

So goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Where the dogs of society howl

Oh one more thing:  that Italian restaurant; the guy who owns it works for JY's dad, so presumably that's why JY is working there.   Also JY's dad runs some sort of tech business that has something to do with Nanos.  I wonder if the thing that is missing is related to that.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

by the way, Berlioz wrote this symphony for his beloved, the Shakespearen actress Harriet Smithson, who rejected  him, he planned to disguise himself as a maid, kill her with poison, then commit suicide, but changed his mind later on :)

Maestro Nam is real crazy like Berlioz,  I feel there is some madness and danger in him

I've always assumed that the music has its on part in the drama's plot. I mean the writers wouldn't choose those pieces for no reason. What you just said might actually be a clue to a backstory waiting to be revealed...

Like how NJW could've always liked Yi Young but was himself rejected because she liked Kim Ian. He disguised himself as a kind friend to her but he probably has some kind of dangerous plan for Yi Young once she rediscovers the whole truth.

Thanks for sharing that~:)

1 hour ago, thistle said:

I wanna know why Bucket-Hat-Guy kept playing Elton John's Yellow Brick Road on the phone to HYY.  And it's the same two lyric lines both times:

Reveal hidden contents

Here is an annotation on the lyrics of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", particularly 'So goodbye yellow brick road':

Spoiler

The yellow brick road in the Wizard of Oz was part of an extended allegory about monetary policy.

As far as it applies to Elton & Bernie, though, it’s a lot simpler: the Yellow Brick Road is the path to urban values, to wealth and social acceptability.

It may be that there are people who would do what it takes to "make it to the top" of the social ladder and take hold of whatever comes with it: fame, power, money. But there are also pure hearted people who are into the same field for the sake of playing music and sharing to others the joy it brings. However, when the good people get involved in the schemes of those who do evil, the good ones get their lives in danger. There is a possibility that they die if they stand up and fight for what is right. But there's also a possibility that they could stop the bad ones from getting further in their plans...

It could be that Mr. Scarred Hand played that song to tell Yi Young that the time has come to make things right. (Now that would certainly change things - he'd turn out to be one of the good guys in the end... And JY might be Yu Da? It's not a love story anyway...)

What's taking so long for Monday to come? ^^'

12 hours ago, Shine Son said:

However, when the good people get involved in the schemes of those who do evil, the good ones get their lives in danger.

That is a very good point, and I think that is what has happened here.  We also have to question who is good and who is bad.  Also who is willing to be bad while trying to do good.

I suspect that Kim Ian was Not a good guy.  JY believes his brother to be good and he believes HYY to be a killer but he is probably wrong on both counts.  JY has been willing to be very bad but is he bad at heart?  I don't know.  He was really convincing as a nasty gaslighter.

Is EJ bad?  She wants to be but I think it's hard for her to follow through because she doesn't think things through, and she speaks without considering what will happen.

We have seen only a little of Kim Ian but I have not liked him, and he seems suspicious.  I guess he's bad.  He is the one who stole the "item" that HYY seems to be in possession of, and he was killed for it.  Did his father really kill him?  That is one really Bad Dad.

Although we posters all have differing opinions on this, I still cannot see NJW as being bad.  I think that he is another good person who, like HYY, has gotten caught up in the mess that Kim Ian has made.  Re-watching has made me believe this more.  He has never done anything to purposely hurt HYY.  Even when the picture of them hugging was exposed by Yu Da, he took the blame on himself and said that he was interested in HYY while she didn't like him.  Even though this was embarassing to HYY, it still was a way that NJW softened the blow.

It's interesting to try to imagine who is on the right side and who is on the wrong one.....there seems to be an awful lot of gray area in between.

.....and, by the way, thank you so much for translating Yu Da.  That was  real eye-opener!  Oh my goodness.

On 8/30/2019 at 7:09 AM, Shine Son said:

I've always assumed that the music has its on part in the drama's plot. I mean the writers wouldn't choose those pieces for no reason. What you just said might actually be a clue to a backstory waiting to be revealed...

Like how NJW could've always liked Yi Young but was himself rejected because she liked Kim Ian. He disguised himself as a kind friend to her but he probably has some kind of dangerous plan for Yi Young once she rediscovers the whole truth.

Thanks for sharing that~

Thank you :) I am glad it helps :) 

Actually as I said before, there are two types of music: the famous piano pieces that would be in the repertoire of any pianist

AND the symphonic music that has the timpani  as a main instrument (played by Yiyoung) ex. The symphonic suite Scheherazade by Rimsky Korsakov, which Maestro Nam constantly studies recently,

Really the idea of the king who marries women and kill them is also noteworthy

Also remember the violinist, but still the focus isn't on her :) 

But really you drew my attention to something. It was important for Maestro Nam to find a piece with timpani as main instrument, I searched google and found the most famous pieces for timpani are Beethoven's Symphonies no. 7 and 9. Also Mahler's symphony no. 2. Why didn't he choose any of them?

Seems that Berlioz and Korsakov are more suitable as they are classified as "program music", it means a music that narrates a story. 

Spoiler

Luckily I studied music history on my own (not formal education) and worked in music jounalism for 4 years, I am proud to say I published more than 15 articles in my name, but in my native language) :) 

21 hours ago, thistle said:

I suspect that Kim Ian was Not a good guy.  JY believes his brother to be good and he believes HYY to be a killer but he is probably wrong on both counts.  JY has been willing to be very bad but is he bad at heart?  I don't know.  He was really convincing as a nasty gaslighter.

Is EJ bad?  She wants to be but I think it's hard for her to follow through because she doesn't think things through, and she speaks without considering what will happen.

We have seen only a little of Kim Ian but I have not liked him, and he seems suspicious.  I guess he's bad.  He is the one who stole the "item" that HYY seems to be in possession of, and he was killed for it.  Did his father really kill him?  That is one really Bad Dad.

Although we posters all have differing opinions on this, I still cannot see NJW as being bad. 

That is interesting because now I think he might have been a good guy... After having elaborated this whole theory about him being a bad one, I am coming back on my words. Ha ha... I dunno to be honest whether he is good or bad but he definitely had something in his possession that made other bad people want to kill him.

Here is what I think: perhaps he had a list of people having given money in order to join the university and orchestra? They have made a point to show us the complexities behind who gets what based on who they are and how much money they have lately. The 'we' is the rich people who pay their way into the prestigious music institutions and the 'they', the ones who have talent but who are put aside because they are no-ones.

I also agree NJW is not bad. I think he is part of the 'they', the poor people who are controlled by their lack of money and pride. I think he accepted sthg or decided to remain silent and got a nice position out of it... His pride... that is one thing his gradnmother kept insisting on so I guess that is the main factor for his role in the whole mess.

I am still confused about the father... It seems he is trying to gather info about the organization but why now?

I like all this music talk! :) Thank you @Shine Son and @nohamahamoud2002 for all the info.

4 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Here is what I think: perhaps he had a list of people having given money in order to join the university and orchestra? They have made a point to show us the complexities behind who gets what based on who they are and how much money they have lately. The 'we' is the rich people who pay their way into the prestigious music institutions and the 'they', the ones who have talent but who are put aside because they are no-ones.

That makes sense, too.  It makes more sense than Kim Ian being bad.  Perhaps he did something without thinking clearly of the consequences.  Maybe he was too naive to understand that terrible things would happen.  And it got him killed.

Good theory.  I like that.  :)

.....but one part of my old theory is still on the back of my mind:  I am just not sure that Kim Ian was really HYY's boyfriend.  If she had strong feelings for him, wouldn't some part of her missing memory remind her?  And wouldn't some of the people around her be aware?  It really seems not.

Another thing I noticed during my re-watch, Jenny looking at Michael (the Cranky Timpanist) when they were in the orchestra room and NJW was responding about the picture posted by Yu Da.  When NJW said that members of the orchestra might be dating, Jenny's head was turned round to look back at Michael.  Either she is crushing on him or she has dated him.  Certainly she was very upset when she saw him comforting Yoon the Screaming Office B, and the look she had on her face could have been a feeling of betrayal.  Maybe he's just a trouble-making player.  

There's more going on behind the scenes at the symphony than we know of yet, that much is certain.

25 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I have a feeling that the mystery will be revealed in episode 32 

Why do you think that, may I ask?  I’m hooked on this drama....the story really intrigues me!  I love murder/mysteries!  

29 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I have a feeling that the mystery will be revealed in episode 32 

I just hope that they don't drag it out until the very end.  But I've been thinking it might be resolved around episode 34 (or 15, depending on how we count episodes). 

In the meanwhile, it looks like our girl HYY is turning herself into the police.  It would be pretty awful if she ended up in jail while we wait for the mystery to be solved.

11 minutes ago, auntyem said:

Why do you think that, may I ask?  I’m hooked on this drama....the story really intrigues me!  I love murder/mysteries!  

Because I was watching Lovely Horribly last year, and the mystery was solved in the last episode, there was a love story too. You know KBS drama usually follow the same pattern :) 

But it is not a rule. Just a guess 

3 hours ago, thistle said:

.....but one part of my old theory is still on the back of my mind:  I am just not sure that Kim Ian was really HYY's boyfriend.  If she had strong feelings for him, wouldn't some part of her missing memory remind her?  And wouldn't some of the people around her be aware?  It really seems not.

I have been wondering about this too, mainly because if I want JY and HYY to end up together, I kinda not want her to have been with Kim Ian... I actually wonder if the photo book is perhaps a clue as to where to find the info? Perhaps Kim Ian knew this might happen to him and then left clues? Yeah, I know, thi smight be a bit far-fetched... But like you, it seems weird that he seemed to have been so in love when no one around HYY knew about them. I know it was recent but she seems to be the type of person to go all in and would have told at least her friend and her cousin about him.

Any ideas anyone? He he...

Let's hope we get at least some of the parts revealed before the last episode........

23 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

But like you, it seems weird that he seemed to have been so in love when no one around HYY knew about them.

Sometimes it is hard to trust subtitles because there is so much that can be lost in translation.  However, this is what I understood from one scene:  JY told HYY that Kim Ian had said that he was in love with "someone"   If we take that statement as a concrete translation, then that means that although KI was in love, he could have misdirected his brother into believing that he was in love with HYY when he was actually in love with someone else.  And, as I've mentioned before, I think that someone might have been NJW.

Maybe I'm way off base.  There is very little to base my theory on.  Maybe he really was in love with HYY; maybe she couldn't return his feelings.  But there's still so much we don't know.  I am waiting very impatiently for the next episodes.  Thank goodness they finally released the preview for episode 9!

Archived