[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

After Baek Kyung talk with Haru 

Spoiler

About, if it is true that the story really changed or it is actually going like writer planned.

I started to thinking that the story actually not like we thought. 

How if, some character being aware of themselves actually one of writer plot? Drama that we watching actually describe the real plot, and there are nothing like "story change".

Secret manhwa main character was extra Dan Oh and Haru, who can change the story.

But, again, it is just my crazy thoughts. This drama never fail to driving me crazy each week. And there are 2 weeks left.

• Like 9

Ska-rmavbild-2019-11-07-kl-20-15-09.png

Funny Dohwa :D 

And I take back what i said yesterday, the saeguk story just got really interesting haha...I love the replaying of Haru and Danoh's moments in saeguk version, so cute! Last scene was heartbreaking though, i just can't imagine Haru ever getting over if Danoh dies after seeing him missing her. Somehow, now i can understand that those feelings wouldn't just fade away easily. 

I really like Juda standing up for herself, it was quite funny when she hit the flowers instead of watering them haha.

It was sweet when she held Namjoo's hand but looked at Dohwa. If you think about, it's quite cruel to be forced to be with someone and have no control over it. Both with Juda/Namjoo and saeguk Danoh and Haru, i think that part was the most significant in today's episode. 

Looking forward to next week already, Wednesday is so far away...

• Like 15

My head hurts from watchin' this ha-ha. I didn't fully understand the Leonardo DiCaprio movie Inception either so there-_-:P

In fact, I don't even care who Dan Oh ends up with anymore. It just breaks my heart Kyung will end up alone and well still angry... LoL:lol::P Why did Dried Squid looked shocked at seeing the new girl?? LoL at Y3!!:w00t: My korean's not great but, is Nam Joo's dad's name really Jae Bol!? As in chaebol y'know super wealthy? And the Y3 guy proposed to Ill Jin which meant that she's a mean girl...literally:lol: The manhwa writer isn't very creative with names huh:rolleyes:

• LOL 9

11 hours ago, Jillia said:

Hahaha... yes, heck even Nam Joo (the actor actually) was kinda smitten by her aegyo. It's also a cultural thing. When I lived in South Korea many girls back then, even my age (early 20s), would do aegyo with their boyfriends. We don't have to like it or agree with it but to make so it's a fault of Kim Hye Yoon is a bit ridiculous.

And I agree with you, it definitely adds to the character and the manhwa setting. In the end Dan Oh is exactly that. Plus the drama is making fun of all the tropes and clichés and the female character acting overly cute is part of it. 

@Sanju98

You're welcome. I understand the first reaction would be anger and the need to reply in the same way the comments are written like. But it's definitely the better option to take a breathe and just stay away from such blogs.

Is what she's doing actually aegyo?  I've seen it in other kdramas and just thought it whiny and annoying.  Not cute at all.  What she's doing seems to be adopting manwha tropes and style, as you say, but not the aegyo I'm used to seeing from whiny girls baby-talking to get something from a guy.  It verges, but it's not the same.  But maybe this is really aegyo?  My only experience is kdrama so I don't know!  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, brielover said:

Is what she's doing actually aegyo?  I've seen it in other kdramas and just thought it whiny and annoying.  Not cute at all.  What she's doing seems to be adopting manwha tropes and style, as you say, but not the aegyo I'm used to seeing from whiny girls baby-talking to get something from a guy.  It verges, but it's not the same.  But maybe this is really aegyo?  My only experience is kdrama so I don't know!  

She does use an aeygo voice but everyone from Gu Hye Sun, Suzy to Kim Go Eun, Kim Seulgi, Park Bo young have done the same....SK natives seem to have fondness for it....I have gotten used to it....they are known for their love for Aeygo voice and strong ears for Sageuk enunciation.

• Like 5

Everyday is Haru day for MBC:lol:

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

Hahahaha... these two cuties really. I wonder though why they would try to hide their feelings in front of Do Hwa. He is their biggest shipper. Plus Ha Ru asking Dan Oh if he needs to practice flirting. Like HOW can he be like that? :lol::wub:

This scene the reason I am happy :lol: Dohwa want to teach Haru anthing but himself still can't understand :lol: I think Haru should teach Dohwa:joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoying the Juda and Dohwa scenes sooooo much! 

I am also so glad that both supposed 2nd leads Haru and Dowah are getting the affections of the ladies. It's really a gem that our 2nd leads are shining!

Made me feel relatable in a drama context whereby in script the actresses are supposed to to act and like the bad boy main character, but in reality when it's behind the scenes that it's the kind hearted and honest 2nd leads who actually stole their hearts. 

Really feel sad for Baek Kyung though, it is already in his character set-up that he is defensive and an introvert. He had so many opportunities once he became self aware to fix things with Danoh, let her know his true feelings. But I guess having that set-up with the scarred memories of his mum's death and how terrible his dad is, he can't suddenly change and be a romantic character.

And worse is he is up against the forever honest and expressive Haru. Holding Danoh's hands cause he wants to, and hugging her cause he misses her so much. He never denied any relationship with Danoh to Dohwa and Danoh's friends, always clearly expressing how much he likes Danoh and wants to be with her.. If it were me, I'll choose Haru too.

• Like 13
  • Love 4

Does everyone intentionally stay away from the drama to binge watch it when the drama is finished so they can get to the happy ending without having to wait in agony through the final 2 weeks? :D I can understand.

I decided to just patiently wait for next week without analyzing or predicting the upcoming episodes too much. For now let me just spazz about Hye Yoon. I like flower DO when she confronted HR after following her all day. Her tone and voice there is fierce. This just proves that she can be fierce when it's needed. And her facial expression during the comical scene is soo.. priceless (i cant find the right word for it). I always repeat her scenes with HR and DH and also when she get caught in the act with HR just to enjoy her fun on point expression.

Isn't it cute that SM

Spoiler

starts to feel her heart beats fast because of SC in the shadow? SM ya it's time to find your own happiness!

And yes i agree that in real life most people won't be able to bear bad boy and aim for a long term relationship.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Jillia said:

@renjunnie

I've been thinking about it since the beginning:

Hide contents

We all think it's about the characters being aware or not aware. And changing their fates or not. But I was thinking from the beginning what if everything we see is actually part of the manhwa, of the plot itself?

What if the writer is actually writing Dan Oh AND Ha Ru (as the leads) the way we see them? Maybe the writer isn't so dumb after all. lol

Well, i mo of course, the writer is writing it.  More interesting to me is there only one writer?  I think it would be fun if we had a bickering husband/wife writer/illustrator team (Haru and Dan Oh) and cranky editor Kyung trying to bring this manwha to a conclusion but unable to resolve the tensions of comedy/tragedy or Stage/Shadow.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that we have a supporting extra character with a terminal illness in a teenage rom com?

i mean, comedy in the old sense of the word means happy ending in a nutshell and what's happy about Dan Oh sick, dying and in love with a boy who, at least in Stage, treats her like dirt?

In a rom com, that set up would normally only be there for her to get well and the boy to discover he really does love he r and redeem himself.  Is her operation supposed to be a success in Stage Secret?

And is Shadow where the tragedy Trumpet Flower keeps trying to play out again, where Dan Oh dies, and likely other characters too?  Are Kyung's brother and Squid Fairy telling them to leave things as they are, Secret IS the happy ending book none of them got in Trumpet Flower?

Dan Oh appears to have made her choice for self-awareness and Haru but what if she, or he, finds out that she can live, but only if they live out the status quo of the stage?  Wha t will they do?

It's an interesting conumdrum mirroring eating of the Tree of Knowledge: you get self-awareness, sex/love, and ethics, but you lose paradise, innocence (ignorance), and immortality.  

I think this might be the ultimate choice/conflict.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 4

BK in both manhwas had a tragic past where he lost his mother. And this is where the conscious BK should have realized that his own past (the loss of his mother) was a set-up. The moment he got aware of his true situation, he should have realized that he should forget his "past and trauma". From my point of view, this is why he hasn't changed his behavior that much after his discovery. He still perceives the manhwa's world as a real world that's why he is unable to distinguish what is fake and real and he also thought that he, as a second lead, had more value than HR who is just an extra. As a result, BK is not able to reveal his true feelings to DO. Besides, he still has the impression, he deserves DO as he is a second lead. DO is different because as soon as she realized her true condition, she knew how to differentiate what were her true feelings and thoughts.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 4

But these characters have never seen what the real world is. So they only know to inhabit that world. How do you know what's outside the universe when actually they even don't know what's  actually inside the universe. So can a self aware character transcend into the mortal world?

-------------------

On a lighter note I really wish Shin Saemi get awareness and figure out why her heart is beating irregular when she stare at Ahn Soochul in pottery class!!

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, angelbeast90 said:

So can a self aware character transcend into the mortal world?

Would they want to though?  They may think it’s Paradise but the reality is far from that?  When would you see a beautiful school like that?  They never seem to study?  No one has pimples?  :lol:  With freedom comes the heavy weight of responsibilities.  Think of how you longed to finish school and start work and move away from the clutches of your parents?  What happened?  The grass always looks greener.  And the “freedom” that you pictured was nothing more than an illusion.

Tree of knowledge of good and evil.  With knowledge comes responsibility.  Like @brielover said, if you gain awareness there’s a price to pay and it often comes with things that you never bargained for.  That’s why Squid said he would rather be a character who wasn’t aware “for once”, it would be so much simpler and less “painful”.

• Like 15
  • Insightful 1

@nrllee Hi there. Not so stranger!:)

What you said reminded me of Shin Saemi again lol! She said she wanted to live in this manhwa when Danoh pointed out that it was a manhwa world they live in.

All I wonder now is will they ever pass through that portal thingy. I wonder if a third story will arrive which will be futuristic! lol

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, angelbeast90 said:

But these characters have never seen what the real world is. So they only know only to inhabit that world. How do you know what's outside the universe when actually they even don't know what's  actually inside the universe. So can a self aware character transcend into the mortal world?

It doesn't matter if the manhwa world is real or not. The characters are the ones who turn their world into reality.

In this drama it seems that on the one hand the real writer is using Descartes' philosophy: "cogito ergo sum" which means "I think therefore I am". Consciousness is perceived as a way to define the human being. What caught my attention is that HR started in Trumpet Creeper hearing the page turning the moment he started having his own thoughts and feelings. He was starting feeling something for DO and the moment he disagreed with BK's approach, the pages started changing very quickly. So it happened the same way with DO who also felt that she couldn't love BK and saw her one sided crush as ridiculous.

On the other hand, the real writer is using Sartre's philosophy as well. A human is defined by his actions. As Sartre put it: "At first the human is nothing. Only afterward (doing things) will he be something, and he himself will have made what he will be." People will judge you based on your actions and not your thoughts and words therefore we have this scene where BK is criticized for his rude behavior. For the first time, BK is confronted with reality: he is a "jerk" not because of the stage... 

With this, the drama writer intends to make the viewers question about the true personality. BK might have his own thoughts now (has gained consciousness) but he hasn't started acting really differently. He is still rude to HR and DO. He still hopes, DO will come back to him as he is the second lead. The more he sees DO and HR repeating the words from the former manhwa, he is more convinced that their words come from the writer. This can lead him to even question their love for each other too. Besides, he gets hurt, when he heard DO saying the exact same thing from Trumpet creeper, the only difference was that back then her words were addressed to him.

He might be conscious of his own world, yet he was still relying on the writer so far: he is a second lead hence he has more rights over DO than HR. How can an extra change the scene? That's why he told DO in the past, he would be able to change the scene.

Furthermore, he met DO earlier and she has been his childhood friend for so long. BK was right to question if his memories were true or fake. However, back then DO had no conscious about herself, hence I am suspecting that his past (including the loss of his mother) shouldn't be perceived as real, rather as a set-up, as long as he and the others were not aware. Yet, when he heard HR saying that he might have known DO much longer than they are aware of, BK was hurt because with this, HR could be seen as someone who has more rights now.  BK saw his childhood memories as a point to say that he had more rights over DO than HR so far.

I have the impression that his step-brother is similar to BK in that matter. He doesn't intervene because he relies on the writer. Since he knows that BK is the second lead, his brother advised him to trust the writer.  The stepbrother told BK that the latter will get a happy ending. BK has realized his own feelings for DO, yet he is unable to change his action.

Then we have DO who is also questioning BK's actions. He was nice to her for a while: was it real or fake? BK was somehow genuine with her, yet his actions were not selfless and that's the problem in my opinion. Love has to be selfless in my view. BK loves her  because he wants to have someone for himself, he doesn't want to be alone and feel lonely. In other words, his love is not that deep compared to HR's love for DO. 

To me, BK has not entirely found himself. The discovery of the other manhwa confused him in my opinion. Was Secret a repetition of Trumpet Creeper or not? In this case are the characters really free? Or are their words the results of the writer?  

I would like to point out that in the other story, BK had staged his encounters with DO and had manipulated her and her feelings. So her words were only the results of his manipulative actions. Her love for him was artificial but by using HR, BK didn't realize that his minion had fallen in love with DO for real. So her words (thanking him for making her wish come true) should have been addressed to Haru and not BK back then. So we had a stage in a stage scene meaning that it was fake... And now, it feels like the final scene in the episode 11 is real. 

HR is so different from BK as after realizing his true feelings and had his own thoughts, he decided to cut ties with BK. That's why HR is right by telling DO, she was his beginning. In Trumpet Creeper, HR acted as an object always following BK's orders blindly. His love for DO marks the turning point in his life: he becomes a human and strangely, he decides to act on his own, trying to change the scenes... 

• Like 10
  • Love 9
  • Insightful 3