[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It doesn't matter if the manhwa world is real or not. The characters are the ones who turn their world into reality.   In this drama it seems that on the one hand the real writer is using D

I think HR killed DO but it was not deliberate and he grabbed the sword with his left hand to stop it but it was too late. But the scene doesn’t look like a sword fight. It starts off with guards surr

7 hours ago, brielover said:

sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

that is actually a very interesting theory. i always thought the writer literally stole characters from other works and books because all the characters are self aware and stuff, that was my theory in the beginning until they explained they were from the previous work of the writer.

4 hours ago, Peach said:

I mean Kyung and Haru, they're so adorable together too!

i love kyung and haru interactions even though they are always hostile towards each other. there is a charm about all those scenes

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, mikhaella75 said:

Just wondering why is it the book titled SECRET? 

In the webtoon, I think it was titled that way because

Spoiler

Oh Nam Ju was dyslexic and hid it from everyone, the childhood memory that occurred between Yeo Ju Da and Lee Do Hwa, and Lee Do Hwa’s dad playing a role in the death of Yeo Ju Da’s grandmother. They didn’t seem to adapt those arcs in the drama, which imo would make it too complicated.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 5
10 hours ago, Jillia said:

Oh my heart... They really need a happy ending. The writer tortured them long enough.

Reveal hidden contents

Credit: anastasiaromnov

I have always strongly agreed with this line "You can't love someone unless you love yourself first". But Haru really changed my thinking. He actually never thought of himself. He always put Dan Oh before himself and everything. That kind of man is possible only on comic books :wub::tears: Thanks for sharing these gifs. 

4dc4ab68ce86676546a51c7d5e8ba920230d7e82

:joy:

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time please
  • LOL 13
2 hours ago, taskdramafanatic said:

that is actually a very interesting theory. i always thought the writer literally stole characters from other works and books because all the characters are self aware and stuff, that was my theory in the beginning until they explained they were from the previous work of the writer.

i love kyung and haru interactions even though they are always hostile towards each other. there is a charm about all those scenes

Well it is quite possible that the writer's crisis of imagination is realized on paper in the conflict between Stage and Shadow or between a kdrama plot and stolen, classic characters.  Thinking about that bookshelf with Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice: what happens if you throw established literary characters with well-developed personalities (and some of their set up like Juliet dying early), like Mr Darcy, Elizabeth Bennett, Lady Catherine deBurgh, Romeo Montague Juliet Capulet, Count Paris, Shylock, and Portia into a Boys Over Flowers script?  They would keep reverting to their original characters and plots.  Further, what if you throw in Juliet and Paris, but leave Romeo out in the cold?  As a writer myself, I could never write Juliet without Romeo.  Of course she'd call him even subconsciously:  Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou?  And of course he'd blast through to find her.

I was imagining just Romeo, but it could be all the self-aware characters.  The writer, in his or her own imagination, is unable to completely control them as characters because he or she did not create them.

I think I convinced myself while writing this!  I like it, whether it's true or not!

And it makes me smile the way they keep talking about how bad the writer is: literary snobs first written by Austen or Shakespeare!

• Like 8

im still curious as to why the book cover of the secret manhwa is literally the same as the charm trumpet creeper haru gave to dan oh, even the writing on it is exactly the same, like what does it mean is it significant to the storyline? KSKSKS i might judt be overthinking but the detail was kinda nice it's like telling them that there are secrets that exist in their world one of them is them being manhwa characters

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Jillia said:

@nimon

Yeah I mean that could be another hint that everything was planned by the writer actually. It's one thing to have a manhwa called "Secret" with a actual secret inside, like the one @dairymilks talked about, but it's another to have such a intricate ornament which says "Secret" appear on the cover but also in the ornament Ha Ru gave to Dan Oh in "Trumpet Creeper".

To add, could the show have a different meaning for Secret since they didn’t include /the/ webtoon!secrets in the arc? 

As for the flowers, does anyone recall a scene where Ju Da ~interacted~ with the trumpet creeper? Because I can only remember in the recent ep how Dan Oh and Do Hwa were surprised to see her destroy the garden. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

if you think about it secrets is starting to really turn into trumpet creeper's parallel, with the main female leads falling for the second leads in the shadow

i think it's safe to assume now that juda has feelings for dohwa and is slowly understanding the difference of stage and shadow due to dohwa (also that scene where namjoo is holding onto juda but juda is looking towards dohwa which lowkey means that her feelings belongs to dohwa) 

i wonder how the plot of secret is bound to change especially since juda would probably want to break from her character (i also thought that nah it wouldn't turn out like trumpet creeper since dohwa was ready to accept his fate and knows it would be juda and namjoo in the end but then again in trumpet creeper too, haru accepted it that they can't be together but dan oh held onto him, would juda also hold onto dohwa? can juda and dohwa be also a key into changing something in the manhwa?) 

• Insightful 13
3 hours ago, Jillia said:

I mean if this scene isn't a perfect image of what their relationship is then I don't know. :wub:

the literal difference in the size of their hands. omg. so freaking cute. thanks for posting this gif set i was looking for the gif set of this scene everywhere. haru's hands are sooooooooo big and dan oh's are so smol, size kink to max. lol 

• Like 5

I really enjoy reading your posts! 

Lately,  there are some questions in mind regarding BK's feelings towards DO and hopefully you can help me answer them:

1.  In 10 ten years of DO's unrequited love, has BK had any feelings towards her?  Was it just recently that he started to have feelings for her?   According to DO,  he pretended to like her for his father's bussiness.  Do you remember when they broke the stone on the sea shore,  BK's side of the stone is bigger than DO's? That is why he threw it to the sea.  In ep. 1, even NJ was intrigued by DO that he asked BK if he was into her,  BK answered no,  but not long after he said to himself,  why do I keep thinking about her?  Has he been liking her then?  

2. In Trumpet Creeper,  did prince BK really like DO (on stage or shadow)?   Or was it just for politics and his ambition? 

Can't wait until Wednesday!! Fingers crossed! 

• Like 3

Has anyone mentioned JuDa's new shoes?  I felt like DoHwa passed a test.  If your girl shows up to school with depressingly old, tattered and grimy shoes, for which she's bullied, do you give her an expensive pair of heels for which she'll find no use except to make you look good at your parties because she has no occasion to wear them otherwise, or do you think of her and her discomfort and her part-time jobs and running around and sore feet, and gift her with the most comfortable, cleanest, brightest runners possible that she can wear every day?

I know which prince I would choose!

• Like 5
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Jillia said:

I mean if this scene isn't a perfect image of what their relationship is then I don't know. :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

Credit: kdramaxoxo

@-Love Blossom-

You're welcome! :D Also, how can we find a man like Ha Ru in the real world. Certainly men close to him exist but a man like Ha Ru... impossible. It's manhwa/kdrama fantasy.

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?  It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.

Lol.  Sorry.  But honestly the references are everywhere now I know to look for them.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics, remove them the next time! Thanks! :)
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

@brielover:wub:  Shakespeare is the master of love speak.

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.” 

Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-browed night;
Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night...” 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Jillia said:

I try to give my two cents about this. :D

1. It's honestly unclear whether he actually ever liked her or not. Just to be clear I don't think Kyung really loves Dan Oh. I think he is very much focused on their setup and in their setup she has this crush on him. And maybe despite not liking her, he definitely enjoyed that Dan Oh would follow him around and he would be important to her. They have these fake childhood memories in which he sweetly puts a spell on her meds, so she gets well soon. So he must've cared back then as much as a child can care. But then when Dan Oh became aware and she realized she never liked Kyung because he was always treating her like garbage and her focus shifted away from Kyung. That's when he suddenly got obsessed to find out the reason why she wouldn't be the same in the shadow. I think in the webtoon his character is more ambiguous and more likeable. In the drama it's clear it's more about Kyung not wanting to lose Dan Oh for his own sake (also because he lost his mother), not because he cares so much about her feelings. Also, it's not clear whether Kyung actually keeps thinking about her because his setup actually plans for true feelings to develope over the cause of the manhwa.

2. I think in "Trumpet Creeper" Prince Kyung never liked Dan Oh. It's definitely more about politics and power. The way he tells Ha Ru to send gifts to Dan Oh in his name and also stage the incidents in which Kyung "saves" Dan Oh. In "Trumpet Creeper" he is definitely more about being ambitious.

Definitely. Kyung was less trashy in the webtoon and didn’t have a lot of ~altercations~ with Haru. There was even an instance where they tried to work together. 

Like what you said, it doesn’t seem like Kyung got into his self-awareness and made an identity of his own. He stayed true to his manhwa character, unlike the rest. 

I agree with what you said about him being more focused on their setup rather than his true relationship with Dan Oh. He brings it up whenever he has the chance, and doesn’t stop yapping about extras and changing Dan Oh’s fate. Although he also loves Dan Oh and wants to save her, I think the need for him to maintain his role as the main character & getting the girl is his top priority.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, nrllee said:

@brielover:wub:  Shakespeare is the master of love speak.

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.” 

Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-browed night;
Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night...” 

Yes - and who cuts out little stars? Haru.  

So so clever.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

@deandraluv There will be many opinions on whether BK really loves DO or he is just obsessed with the setup. For me i think he does care for DO ever since they were young, maybe it can not be qualified as love yet at that time, but it sure is affection. It starts to be blurred/tainted when his mom died and his dad forced him to use DO for his business development. Affraid of being abandoned by his dad after losing his mom, he followed his dad order. It will be great if DO was not that invested in him but DO had always been nice sincere and faithful to him, making him feel worse for taking advantage of this girl. Embracing DO fully was not easy either. Besides her being the string that attach him to his father's control, she is also a sick girl that can leave him anytime like his mom. But still she is still precious person in his life. In the webtoon it is highlighted how as children both are lonely and they cope with that loneliness by being each others' friend and i'm certain this applied to the drama too even if it is not highlighted like in the webtoon. All these complicated feelings mixed and confused him forcing him to treat DO in a mean way. This is no way an approval of his rude behaviour but a way to understand him.

When he gain his awareness unlike others he stick to his belief that everything should go as it was meant to be especially DO and her devotion to him. It's like -the writer has written me with this setup that force me to go through pain of losing mom, abusive father, unloving family, and i endure it all so when it comes to this one good thing that the writer give to me (DO) how can i let it slip out of my hands just because of a mere extra (HR)- so he become obsessed with the setup and belittling the extras that to him represent HR.

Wow i feel like writing an essay on psychology. The amount of investment and attachment i have with EY sometimes surprised myself.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 4

Doesn't the scars the characters get in the shadow disappears when the next stage begins? In episode 3 when Dan Oh followed Haru to the nurse office and saw that he got hurt in his hand she said it will be healed in the next stage and it really did. But the scars Haru got from preparing the stars didn't disappear during pottery class. Is this a mistake from the director or the shadow is really becoming important?

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1
12 minutes ago, -Love Blossom- said:

Doesn't the scars the characters get in the shadow disappears when the next stage begins? In episode 3 when Dan Oh followed Haru to the nurse office and saw that he got hurt in his hand she said it will be healed in the next stage and it really did. But the scars Haru got from preparing the stars didn't disappear during pottery class. Is this a mistake from the director or the shadow is really becoming important?

This was something I was wondering about as well, and I've been racking my brain over it because I want to write out a drabble on that topic so badly! The most I can reason out is that it's intentional on the director's part. In the webtoon, they showed that parts of Haru's effort remained on the curtain itself (in the form of one cutout). While most of the curtain went back to how it was before, the lasting cutout was meant to signify the effect that Haru had on the world itself. So I'm wondering if the cuts remaining on him is a sign of his shifting relationship to the Secret!manhwa world. It's probably not a coincidence that his cuts staying is happening around the same time as when he's started recovering his memories from TC!

• Like 11

@Jillia If I remember correctly that bookshelf wound  happened in the stage that's why it didn't disappear.

@Calligrapher It's possible since the changes he is making in the shadow is effecting the stage so it might be to show that he really has special powers :lol:

I think the reason why Haru is the only one who can change stage is because of his great guilt and regret that he stabbed Dan Oh (if he really did). He must have hated that stage so much that he somehow gained those ability on his own.

• Like 7
  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year