[Drama 2019] Extraordinary You / Suddenly One Day, 어쩌다 발견한 하루 - 2019 MBC Drama of the Year

0ly40

@bebebisous33 Yes! Danoh must be a prophet coz she sees the storyboard! Also now I understand why the writer will feel sorry towards Danoh: a spoiler I read from this thread said writer feels Danoh should have a better story or something , along those lines.

EDIT: Happy 100th page!!

Waiting for Wednesday again!!!c8990018bba88b58e8ba8b939b1e32ca86e43a7b.gifvcredit

• Like 12

hmm if haru and dan oh fell inlove in the shadows in trumpet creeper then how does kyung know about it? so even tc kyung was self aware since he was able to pinpoint that haru likes dan oh during that time which stopped haru from moving during the flashback 

it makes me wonder whether it was kyung who attempted to change the stage in trumpet creeper hence bringing the tragedy since he was able to understand how the changing of stage works, like he changed something up to make haru suffer 

• Like 11

I rewatched the first four episodes last night and with more knowledge of the story and characters now, I can appreciate the importance of some things I missed on first viewing. 

For instance, during the scene on the stairs where Haru first changed Danoh’s stage, since she was supposed to break her leg (can the writer stop being cruel to Danoh), I noticed that even though Danoh didn’t seem to see Haru’s face while he was descending the stairs pass her, her heart immediately started beating fast setting off her heart monitor. (The blinding light that accompanied his descent makes me think she really didn’t see his face) However, since her rapid heart beat set off her heart monitor, she becomes cognizant of him and turns to look at his descending back and began to follow him down the stairs as though mesmerized/unconsciously drawn to him and the stage continues in a different sequence but ultimately end with Danoh still getting knocked down the stairs by Juda but this time Haru is there to break her fall by her landing on his back. 

Although Haru cannot see the future, the scene gave me the impression that he was unconsciously there to protect Danoh. It’s further reinforced later when Danoh was playing dodgeball (in order to find her mystery guy) and sure enough he emerges to protect her like she planned. I like that although Haru only starts becoming a “living” character around the field trip story arc, he was drawing Danoh and protecting Danoh even before they started interacting. It makes me appreciate the connection between their Trumpet Creeper incarnation and Secret because obviously Haru was drawn to Danoh in Secret even before she found him and began to build a relationship with him in Secret. No wonder he thinks of her as his beginning which can arguably be traced back to his love for her in Trumpet Creeper.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 3

@Jillia, yes I definitely remembered the scene in the library where some of her books fell over and he retrieved them for her and she noticed the scar on his hand. The reason why I thought Haru was “unconsciously” drawn to Danoh and wanted to protect her is because they hadn’t really interacted much. However, in a later episode when she wanted him to intervene when she was forced by the stage to go into the sea water to find the item that Kyung flung into the water, Haru just watched and didn’t intervene or attempt to intervene like she had requested of him. During that time Haru behaved almost like he was an alien in their world. However, I do need to rewatch that episode that shows Haru’s point of view to understand his introductory experience in Secret better. 

• Like 7

I found something weird after rewatching episode 1.

Spoiler

at episode 1, Dan Oh started to aware of herself, hear the click page sound, and "teleport" things.

She always talked to Sae Mi and Do Hwa brother about this (at shadow of course).

But why she can said this things to Baek Kyung when she actually in stage and not shadow? Dan Oh at stage that we thought, of course not have that "symptoms" and just have heart disease right? did i miss something? is it a spoiler about how to control yourself at stage? or just just a little mistake from drama?

3yJyl7z.png

FjJYmY4.png

kNmosVE.png

8BO8j9P.png

I want to said about this too, this is different topic from above tho. At episode 23-24. Haru remember about Dan Oh that said don't wanna to marry Baek Kyung scene (at goryeo arc), and then after that he is wake up, and the teacher say this things:

FfeQBsy.png

o8vHVJp.png

are these spoiler too? maybe about the scene when Dan Oh killed?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, dairymilks said:

Apart from Naver, does anyone know where else I can read the untranslated/raw copy of the webtoon?

I love reading everyone’s thoughts after the recent episodes! Apparently, Rowoon was seen filming at the hospital today. 

Hello everyone. This is the first time I'm posting on this thread. I'm totally enjoying reading all your theories makes the wait for the next episodes much easier. 

Also in the stills above is that doctor's coat haru is holding? If so what could be the reason? Another attempt to change the stage ?:open_mouth:

• Like 5

@celebrianna I mentioned this in an older post.  HR was willed into existence by DO.  He floated around like her guardian angel/protector (faceless).  As she finally “found” him and gave him a name, she introduced him to the world as it were.  Initially he just obeyed her instructions almost like a robot.  The beach scene was important because he “disobeyed” her.  He suddenly had a mind of his own. He chose NOT to go into the water like she asked.  That’s why he could speak then and his first words in their world was her name.  He found his own voice.  He could then behave without her bidding, fighting for her and stepping in to argue with BK even when she wasn’t there.  I am not talking about the concept of “awareness” as described in this drama, it’s about his beginning.  So going with the reincarnation trope, every comic is like a new iteration (reincarnation) and the characters grow even more.  The goal is to finally break free of the cycle of “life”/comic story and attain nirvana.  Their stories don’t end with the comic, it persists till the next one.  So DO and HR’s story will likely persist for future comics as they keep “finding” each other and learning to love each other better and better until they finally get their happy ever after.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Welcome to the thread, @Harry97! :D I've noticed you were lurking a bit and spreading some love on the posts. Please join the discussion.

I was wondering about that doctor's coat as well. Maybe he is trying to disguise himself as a doctor in order to get to Dan Oh? But in the end he is supposed to be a 18 year old teenager, so I guess that would be too far off. But I was also wondering if Ha Ru will meet Dan Oh's dad. I think in one of the photos it could be the actor who plays the dad, facing Ha Ru, right?

Thanks for the welcome !:wub: I'm rewatching the old episodes will definitely join the discussion if I find something new. 

Yes even I was wondering the same if it was Dan Oh's dad in the second picture. I'm guessing he is going to attempt to change the stage again. Can't wait to see how this whole thing will play out in the actual episode :D

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Oh my heart... They really need a happy ending. The writer tortured them long enough.

this is so pretty. omg. somehow its appropriate. 

someone said haru was innocent and i totally agree to this but can we discuss about how totally smooth he is though he is innocent. he is instinctively such a sweetheart to dan oh because he just loves her that much.

it also just occurred to me that when dan oh's heart would beat faster just by the presence of haru near her was because she still loved him in her subconscious.   

i know it's totally very near impossible to expect another kiss scene but i really want more kisses. who else agrees?

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, taskdramafanatic said:

this is so pretty. omg. somehow its appropriate. 

someone said haru was innocent and i totally agree to this but can we discuss about how totally smooth he is though he is innocent. he is instinctively such a sweetheart to dan oh because he just loves her that much.

I think he's innocent more because he's like a foal learning to walk at first.  He says or does something more harsh later (can't remember what) and Squid says that's more like the "old you".  But I also think what we've seen of him and his loving nature is the real him unadulterated by experience.  As he remembers, he'll likely have a fuller personality.  One thing to remember is the books on  the shelf in the library.  A close up reveals this is the writer's  reference library.  One book is  Romeo and Juliet.  I do think Haru is based on Romeo, and Romeo, despite his young age, was a player, falling in and out of love until he met Juliet.  Juliet was beautiful but intensely witty as well, and it's her wit as well as her insistence on the real, the authentic, the honest that reverberates with the Dan Oh character the most for me.

I sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 7

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

@dairymilks

Unfortunately I don't know where else you can read it. Maybe somebody else can help. Maybe @Peach? :D

Ohh hey:lol: It's been a long time I didn't post in this thread but it's so fun reading all the comments. So much love:wub:

Before the drama airing, the raw version of the webtoon is still free on Daum Webtoon, all the chapters and seasons. But unfortunately, we have to pay now. You can read the english version on mangarock, but it's not finish yet. Here the link,

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-100297968

Btw, how can our Danharu so adorable together? Ah, I'm crazy about them.

Also, I understand there are two teams in this drama. But, can we support them both? I mean Kyung and Haru, they're so adorable together too! (That's pottery class pft) I'm sad reading the comments out of there.

It's just my thought. I always feel suspicious with all the lessons in the class. Especially, the last art class. It's about the process of making a pottery, somehow I feel it's indicated the 'author's creation'. When someone asked how to understand the pottery wants, the teacher said it's about instinct. We can't force our creation, if you do then it's will mess up (or something like that).  What if it's indicated the writer's real situation, like how he/she taking deal with his/her story and characters... (Somehow I feel the real writer is the art teacher LOL.)

One more, like @Jillia mention before, that's past perfect tense too!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peach said:

Ohh hey:lol: It's been a long time I didn't post in this thread but it's so fun reading ...snip

It's just my thought. I always feel suspicious with all the lessons in the class. Especially, the last art class. It's about the process of making a pottery, somehow I feel it's indicated the 'author's creation'. When someone asked how to understand the pottery wants, the teacher said it's about instinct. We can't force our creation, if you do then it's will mess up (or something like that).  What if it's indicated the writer's real situation, like how he/she taking deal with his/her story and characters... (Somehow I feel the real writer is the art teacher LOL.)

One more, like @Jillia mention before, that's past perfect tense too!

Nice catch on the art lesson!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jillia said:

Ha Ru could speak before the beach scene. :lol: I really don't get why his first time using his voice should've been at the beach when he said her name. He did so before... long before Dan Oh became aware. Even though yes, he did say her name back then. I agree Dan Oh was his beginning but definitely not at the beach but long before that.

I feel like we’re talking in different planes.  Yes he could speak but he didn’t technically “exist” as HR the character in Secret to everyone else in the Secret Universe.  He had no face to everyone in the Secret Universe.  He was just #13.  Nobody knows or remembers anything about him.  No family, no home, no background.  That’s why when he first called her name in class, she walked right past him like he wasn’t there (she wasn’t “looking” for him).  Until DO “found” him and willed him into existence and he became the real #13 to her.  She tried to find his “back” and then finally “gave him his face in the world of Secret”.  Then she kept relating to him as #13 and solidified his existence and purpose in the Secret Universe.  Just because we as the audience can see him as Rowoon/HR right from the start doesn’t mean the characters in Secret can.  That’s probably why nobody else could “recognise” #13 initially.  Yes he may have had beginnings from the past in TF and existed as an ethereal creature prior to DO finding him, but reality is had she not looked for him, he wouldn’t have “existed” as HR the character in Secret.  Importantly she’s set the precedent here in Secret.  She can will him to life even if the writer didn’t pen his character in from the beginning.  This is vastly different from TF where he already existed.  If we go with the iteration theory where the comic world is like an iteration of someone’s reincarnated self.  Then it means even if future comics where only one of them exists in the initial character chart, the other can will the missing one into existence and they can play out their love line once more in the shadow.  HR exists in her subconscious and he’s always “waiting” for her, he protects her even if he’s a faceless “extra”.  If she can do what she did in Secret, she can do the same in the next comic and the next, she will always find him.  Their love line will transcend time and circumstance.

As for why using his voice for the beach scene was significant, it was because it was the first time he acted of his own will to disobey DO’s instructions.  He became his own person, he had his own “voice” as it were, capable of making his own decisions apart from her.  He solidified his character as part of the landscape of Secret.  He wasn’t just a robot following DO’s bidding anymore. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5

36 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I feel like we’re talking in different planes.  Yes he could speak but he didn’t technically “exist” as HR the character in Secret to everyone else in the Secret Universe.  He had no face to everyone in the Secret Universe.  He was just #13.  Nobody knows or remembers anything about him.  No family, no home, no background.  That’s why when he first called her name in class, she walked right past him like he wasn’t there (she wasn’t “looking” for him).  Until DO “found” him and willed him into existence and he became the real #13 to her.  She tried to find his “back” and then finally “gave him his face in the world of Secret”.  Then she kept relating to him as #13 and solidified his existence and purpose in the Secret Universe.  Just because we as the audience can see him as Rowoon/HR right from the start doesn’t mean the characters in Secret can.  That’s probably why nobody else could “recognise” #13 initially.  Yes he may have had beginnings from the past in TF and existed as an ephemeral creature prior to DO finding him, but reality is had she not looked for him, he wouldn’t have “existed” as HR the character in Secret.  Importantly she’s set the precedent here in Secret.  She can will him to life even if the writer didn’t pen his character in from the beginning.  This is vastly different from TF where he already existed.  If we go with the iteration theory where the comic world is like an iteration of someone’s reincarnated self.  Then it means even if future comics where only one of them exists in the initial character chart, the other can will the missing one into existence and they can play out their love line once more in the shadow.  HR exists in her subconscious and he’s always “waiting” for her, he protects her even if he’s a faceless “extra”.  If she can do what she did in Secret, she can do the same in the next comic and the next, she will always find him.  Their love line will transcend time and circumstance.

As for why using his voice for the beach scene was significant, it was because it was the first time he acted of his own will to disobey DO’s instructions.  He became his own person, he had his own “voice” as it were, capable of making his own decisions apart from her.  He solidified his character as part of the landscape of Secret.  He wasn’t just a robot following DO’s bidding anymore. 

Yes, I think this is right.  Moreover, interestingly, I think Kyung recognized him, was in a way waiting for him, subconsciously too.  We were talking about Romeo and Juliet and Juliet's fiance Count Paris.  It's eerie how Kyung plays out the role of Paris.  Paris and Juliet's engagement is political yet he comes to truly love her.  Even when she says she doesn't love him and refuses to marry him, he goes into denial and calls her his wife and his love.  When she dies he takes vigil at her grave, faithful, and mistakenly gets into a sword fight with Romeo.  Romeo kills Paris but fulfills his dying wish and, weirdly, buries him with Juliet before killing himself.

So these 3 share a grave, and you can see how an imagination could project their entanglement in every incarnation and every book.  Because in the Shakespeare, it wasn't just a record of two in love, but of three.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 5

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

Hahaha... that's why Korean viewers call him "fox". :lol: Even MBC-Team is calling him "fox Ha Ru" because he is such a smooth flirt. He learnt quickly but I also think Dan Oh is bringing it all out.:wub:

yeah i've heard about that. i feel like he just shows how he feels for dan oh very bravely. 

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

Which is more reason why I don't want that the writer has actually control over the shadow as well because that would mean Ha Ru is such a good man and smooth flirt because of "Secret" writer which still would be great. Like I want men like Ha Ru or Do Hwa in the dramas. But I like it more that Ha Ru is a good man because of himself. You know what I mean? :D

i don't thnink the writer has any control over the shadow and that is the reason that they are able to do what they want and i know that beak kyung doubts that haru and dan oh can actually change anything but we've seen haru do it several times to doubt it now. and i think haru is the way he because of himself. like he is so perfect because he came into existence as someone perfect, so even when the writer draws him as someone who can't do things, in the shadow he is able to do everything that others can't, like beak kyung is better at tennis at the stage but in the shadow haru is better than him and then he is so intelligent and also good at literally everything from art to sports to music you name it.

conclusion, haru is perfect but i don't secret's writer intended him to be perfect.

8 hours ago, brielover said:

I think he's innocent more because he's like a foal learning to walk at first.  He says or does something more harsh later (can't remember what) and Squid says that's more like the "old you".

JMC said this when haru was rewritten back in secret as bad boy haru because he was more like himself because of how he was in the stage of trumpet creeper, a ruthless assassin, loyal to beak kyung and he knew him well for sure. haru was created to be quite dangerous by the writer.

8 hours ago, brielover said:

I sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

that is actually a very interesting theory

• Like 6

7 hours ago, brielover said:

sometime think the reason Squid and Haru can remember the past books (unlike Do Hwa and likely younger brother who have just read Trumpet Flower) is because they are not the writer's original creations. He or she stole them wholesale from the classics.

that is actually a very interesting theory. i always thought the writer literally stole characters from other works and books because all the characters are self aware and stuff, that was my theory in the beginning until they explained they were from the previous work of the writer.

4 hours ago, Peach said:

I mean Kyung and Haru, they're so adorable together too!

i love kyung and haru interactions even though they are always hostile towards each other. there is a charm about all those scenes

• Like 4