[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

14 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

At this point I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with us! We got a lip thing and a hug on the weekend... and here we are talking about money and clams!

This is Soompi. We should be doing deep analysis of the lip-smother (that is not a kiss) and the hug. We should be breaking the internet with squeeing, screams and sobs.

It's embarrassing, I tell ya.

Haha!

Thanks for the warm welcome (ref ur previous post). I am here because I couldnt resist reading your thoughts within a few hours of the episode release. 

And that kiss was clumsy but the hug was promising (it said I wont let you go!!)

Oh and even I was wondering about the choice of Kang's memories when he walks away from CY, so your thoughts help. 

I love the memes shared here. Oh and the monk and nun kissed graphic was hilarious.

I was also thinking that maybe we are shown the bank balance because our heroine might run into some money trouble. Her shots in the preview are pretty pensive.

With regard to Kang crying, 3 possibilities that come to my mind:

- mourning his mom's death (he is wearing the same suit from the scene when CY is wearing a green sweater and she mentions the mom's name)

- CY leaving (CY is sitting in a bus with TH in front and having tears in her eyes, again with the green sweater :D)

- hospice shutting down despite the efforts (least likely).

i am curious about Kang' dialogue in the preview: a person died.

I love the gentle Kang who spoke to CY on phone. Btw, the comment about monk and the nun was the best. It keeps making me laugh everytime I think of it.

I am not ready for the finale or to say goodbye to this drama just yet :(

3 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

@40somethingahjumma @sadthe1st my DP is as dark as hell...lol.. I've been trying to brighten it couple of shades to no avail :joy: 

I cant stop laughing!!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

What shall I do after this drama ends?

I've been wondering about that myself. I'm having such a hard time watching anything else right now because of it. It's one of those dramas that I keep thinking about for hours afterwards.

I may watch the whole thing again once it's finished and see if there's anything new to be understood from it after the airing of the final episodes.

This is one of those dramas that I could keep watching forever.

I tried making screenshots but Netflix is misbehaving at the moment and not allowing me access to Episode 14. So annoying. Everything else works but not Ep. 14. (Begs the question of whether Chocolate viewers broke Episode 14)

8 hours ago, mizv said:

Does anyone know why the director of hospice is so angry at his first wife with dementia?   I didn’t fully understand his explanation since it involved his 2nd wife and son MY.

From what I understood, apparently she left him for another man. At least that's what she herself has said.

I think the real reason why he's really angry is that he's still in love with her and that he was always in love with her. He feels guilt towards his second wife and son because he was thinking of Wife #1 even though he had remarried. In that scene which you mentioned, he basically said that even when the second wife died, he was waiting for her to come back to him but she never did.

3 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

I was also thinking that maybe we are shown the bank balance because our heroine might run into some money trouble. Her shots in the preview are pretty pensive.

[...]

i am curious about Kang' dialogue in the preview: a person died.

I've been thinking about the preview scenes for next week and my thought is:

Spoiler

that CY and TH receive news of their mother's demise. She probably died alone somewhere. That's why they both look so depressed. There's a shot of both of them together with CY leaning on TH. I imagine this leads CY to talk about her abandonment issues and then about Kang's mother.

It does make sense in light of Ep 14.

• Like 9

On 1/13/2020 at 2:48 AM, mystory said:

Welcome to this thread @ben1090, better late than never ;)
This is my first time post on Soompi, I've been a silent reader until now and I felt like I should try to make you feel less sad. 

I am with you on the rating thing, this drama is like a fine wine, not anyone has skills to recognize an excelent wine, it's not meant for everybody, only for those special people that are capable to really apreciate its value, a few can and I am happy to be among them :blush:
I personally learned a lot of things from this drama, it made me see life from a different perspective and I really believe that this will help me have a happier life. For me a good drama is that drama you can learn something from and Chocolate is doing a perfect job, at least for me :wub:  

So enjoy the show, regardless of its ratings, you are one of that 1% of special people :rolleyes:

PS: I read some mean comments about HJW and YKS not having chemistry at all, I think they should have their eyesight checked, I can see the over the top chemistry from the moon :love:

Thank you so much  @mystory for making me less sad about the rating. I cannot agree more about that. Then, I'm glad that I'm among those special people :lol:.

Thank you @doralok for sharing the bts. I know that today is the bts day, but didn't expect it will come out this early. 

They were so playful. How can I not fall in love with their chemistry :wub:

I really hope someone can translate the bts to english :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Anneyeong!!!!

First time to post here on the thread and I just wanna say that despite the fact that this series had been making me bawl my eyes out since the first episode  I love everything about it, the story, though I have to stop watching for 2 weeks coz I can't get over Min seong's death, (cried buckets at that scene by the way), the cinematography and most especially the FOOD. It makes me want to taste them all and I pity the chief director coz he doesn't want to taste any of it .... 

I've known Ha Ji won since Memories in Bali and she'd been one of my fave korean actress though up until now I haven't been able to watch Secret Garden in full but in here Cha young had captured my heart from the moment I saw her. I just love how she portrayed Cha  young , her painful past, her passion for food and everything else. Then there's Yoon Kye sang and honestly this is the first time I've heard of him and watched him act and now I became a fan. His eyes conveyed so much emotion I can't help but sympathize with him. I am hoping for a happy ending for these two, If anything, they both deserve to happy once in this lifetime , they've had had enough heartbreaks and I just want to see genuine happiness for both...

Also , may I add how good the secondary characters are.... I love everyone who are working at the hospice and those patients who'se stories were so heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time... 

It would take a while for me to get over this series for Cha young and Kang had taken a piece of my heart. I rewatched the first episodes while waiting for the finale and still the scenes still get me like it was the first time I watched it....  

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

the one posted by @doralok mid of this page.. timing around 4:37 lol :tounge_wink:

Thanks, i notice HJW almost stumbled there during the scene 4:37. 

I’ll miss the otp when the drama ends, anyway i’ve just found out YKS played villain in “ the outlaw”, the movie is quite interesting

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I've been wondering about that myself. I'm having such a hard time watching anything else right now because of it. It's one of those dramas that I keep thinking about for hours afterwards.

I may watch the whole thing again once it's finished and see if there's anything new to be understood from it after the airing of the final episodes.

Sigh, I am thinking about this drama a lot too and I am lost wondering how I will go through the days when this drama ends. I may suffer a withdrawal syndrome.

As for their playfulness displayed in the BTS, how do they act the scenes right after laughing and fooling around? Don't they need to develop their emotions? 

12 hours ago, lhynne said:

Then there's Yoon Kye sang and honestly this is the first time I've heard of him and watched him act and now I became a fan.

Me too! I do not know him till now and I am so glad he portrayed LK so aptly. He made me curious to find out about him. He may have been displaying a very poker face for most of the earlier episodes but yet he can still make us feel his emotions. And his crying scenes are great, especially where his tears kept dripping over the box of chocs at the uncle's funeral in Wando. Or how his eyes were red when he realized CY was the little girl (the episode ended right at the time when she nodded to his 3rd question and the screen froze at his expression). 

I thought it was a nice scene where he turned to walk towards her at the beach and he ran the last few steps to her. Did I say i am already falling for LK? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This is one of those dramas that I could keep watching forever.

5 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

Sigh, I am thinking about this drama a lot too and I am lost wondering how I will go through the days when this drama ends. I may suffer a withdrawal syndrome.

@AquariusMY  and @40somethingahjumma  There are times when I curse myself for watching this drama while it was running, but I also know that if I hadn't I wouldn't have enjoyed some of your analysis as much as I did. I have rewatched some clips so many times that I know... I will need to give it a break before I pick it up again.

But picking it up again is a must. I am hoping to hear your thoughts after you see the whole thing again, @40somethingahjumma and yes, I am with you on the statement, "I could keep watching it forever".

Just thinking about the finale this weekend, I am already into withdrawal syndrome zone. People around me might be happier though as my conversations will stop beginning and ending with chocolate. :)

5 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

As for their playfulness displayed in the BTS, how do they act the scenes right after laughing and fooling around? Don't they need to develop their emotions? 

Me too! I do not know him till now and I am so glad he portrayed LK so aptly. He made me curious to find out about him.

I have been avoiding BTSs but I often wonder exactly what you have articulated. How do they maintain their personalities on screen. 

Also, given their ages, it must be difficult at times to be comfortable with skinship -- thus when there was no kissing, I was not surprised. One nasty thought I had in my mind when I would think of them as actors and not characters would be: maybe in their contracts they specially said no to kisses. That might also be why in episode 14 last scene, we know there is a kiss but the camera is clever with how it captures the kiss...as there might not have been more than a mere touch and the rest was all about emotions on the actors faces. Like I said... nasty thought.

I am not complaining as I like the series as is when it comes to the process of romance.

And I do want to check the ML in his previous works, just to know if it is the actor or the vision of the director :)

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I've been thinking about the preview scenes for next week and my thought is:

Reveal hidden contents

that CY and TH receive news of their mother's demise. She probably died alone somewhere. That's why they both look so depressed. There's a shot of both of them together with CY leaning on TH. I imagine this leads CY to talk about her abandonment issues and then about Kang's mother.

It does make sense in light of Ep 14.

Your thoughts make sense.

This would also open the knot on one of the last misunderstandings started at the beginning of the series: The nurse telling CY that Jun lost someone in his family in the building collapse.

Also, CY sees some connection between Jun and Kang but she doesn't know that they are cousins.

Though I had a random thought before I had read your response:

Someone in one of the recent posts said that there were no deaths in ep 13 and 14. I thought ep 13 was about Bada's death and 14 about the figurative death of the concept of CY's mom as CY says that she will now stop waiting for her mom. TH, however is another ball game all together.

This drama should not make me curious and should be predictable but every week I spend hours wondering what will happen now, how will that scene in Greece come to be (and what if it is a dream sequence as someone dying would be predictable, them getting married would appease the masses, them healing but going separate ways could be artistic... but what does the writer feel and how will the director show it!). Yet, his dialogue in that scene (this is how our story begins makes me wonder if there was a translation issue or did I not understand his literary stance!).

Also, I wonder how many books on death and philosophy did they read before incorporating so much love into the concept of death.

(I am very new on this forum so am still learning the ropes. Sorry for posting consecutive posts last time. The quoting business doesn't work well for me on the mobile :( Hopefully some experience will help me improve. *Note of thanks and apology to the editor)

Edited by Dramafreak
Wanted to thank the person who edited my post last time.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

How has this drama been going? I stopped watching at episode 6 for now (i think). I just didn't have the time at that time but after that i heard that the drama goes even more into the side plots and characters. Most of them have been really uninteresting to me. And i heard that it even gets in to love triangles and all that stuff? To me the drama has been the best when it was about the main romance, that delicious heartbreak from her side or even just their character growth. The stuff with her brother for example is just so bad. I don't even mind him leeching off. But they have to let him break some 10k whine bottles for fun. Yeah i know there is going to be some story about him later on. I simply don't care. Portray him like a real person and i might care.

I really like the vibe of the drama and the mature romance. At least when the drama is really about that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fabbo said:

How has this drama been going? I stopped watching at episode 6 for now (i think). I just didn't have the time at that time but after that i heard that the drama goes even more into the side plots and characters. Most of them have been really uninteresting to me. And i heard that it even gets in to love triangles and all that stuff? To me the drama has been the best when it was about the main romance, that delicious heartbreak from her side or even just their character growth. The stuff with her brother for example is just so bad. I don't even mind him leeching off. But they have to let him break some 10k whine bottles for fun. Yeah i know there is going to be some story about him later on. I simply don't care. Portray him like a real person and i might care.

I really like the vibe of the drama and the mature romance. At least when the drama is really about that.

If you're asking me, I'll say it's going beautifully ;) but I've enjoyed this show pretty much from Ep 1. Admittedly some people don't like the so-called slow burn romance but I've loved it. 

I too detested the brother in the early days but he does gradually become less detestable over time. ;) He's been quite hilarious these last few episodes becoming the OTP's biggest cheerleader. 

I'm not sure where you heard it but there's thankfully no love triangle. :D The side plots... aren't really side plots. They are integral to the big themes of the drama (the fragility of life) and to the romance. More importantly it's through what goes on with the patients of the hospice that the ML comes to know the FL much better. His prejudices about her gradually melt away through these interactions. And then of course there's the whole baggage that she used to date his friend.

It is a lovely romance between two mature people who have been through a lot.

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Started watching this out of curiosity because @Lawyerh hard sold this to me , and made me type out all her makjang ending possibilities while setting up the poll . :lol:

But I hv to say , two episodes in and I find it very engaging and filled with warmth,  in spite of the hospice setting and all . What I love is the use of food as a means of connecting the OTP . Also , the sound track here is so good . 

So one of my favourite scenes from eps 2  is when she decided to say yes to the best friend , and out of nowhere at that very moment, he appears. It was such a bitter sweet scene , and Ha Ji Won  completely delivered all the complex emotions she was going through . Part of her was happy & relieved he was alive . Part of her was confused & conflicted - that she had said yes to his best friend but not completely & wholeheartedly. And you could tell the immediate  regret she had for something she had just agreed to a few moments before .  I appreciated that she decided to stay on for awhile in the relationship with MinSeong , but had enough guts later on to leave . It takes courage to actually walk away from something that you know deep down isn’t right for you. 

Edited by Guest

@triplem

You've come to join us! Welcome! Better late than never! I think you will really like this one... knowing our history with dramas. It makes a huge difference having experienced actors at the helm.

It is indeed a heartwarming drama. Breathtaking to look at as well. Gorgeous. The storytelling is so good. 

Get the tissues ready too.

2 hours ago, triplem said:

And you could tell the immediate  regret she had for something she had just agreed to a few moments before .  I appreciated that she decided to stay on for awhile in the relationship with MinSeong , but had enough guts later on to leave . It takes courage to actually walk away from something that you know deep down isn’t right for you. 

More than that I think is that she had the courage to be the "bad guy" in this. To make the man she actually had feelings for think worse of her than she deserved to be thought of. I won't say more than this. This is why she's such an awesome character in some ways. But it does create a genuine obstacle for the OTP to have to overcome.

I'm not a huge fan of the first love trope but this show does a good job with it. And the whole "fated to love you" thing isn't too bad either. ;)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

On 1/12/2020 at 5:47 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Love what you have written. Except that I would disagree with the above about his mother making a foolish decision because of money. LK’s mother had to acknowledge the family connection because she was forced to and had no choice in order to get the doctors to start proper treatment to save the unconscious LK. If if she hadn’t done so, the doctors were going to ignore LK and he might die. Even later on, we also learned that she had intended to bring young LK back to Wando and leave the toxic family, thus she went to buy the chocolates first and unfortunately met with death. So I feel his mother never thought about the money. She only did that at the hospital to save LK’s threatened life. 

I agree @ktcjdrama his mom did it out of love.  She never wanted to go to Seol. But if she hadn’t said it her son would have died. These people were going to let her son died because they believed their precious son was more important. 

i loved episode 13-14. I was so proud of Lee Jun.  He is trying to do the right thing but his duty as son is preventing him going all the way. I wonder when wil he finally say Enough. I loved the question he asked his father Why do I have to hate Lee Kang???  His father the coward that he had no answer for him. I feel bad for Lee Jun.  He has terrible parents one is greedy and the other is STUPID. He hates his own nephew and hated his brother. 
I really hated what he told his mom about how relieved he felt when his brother died. But he had his father’s love and his brother didn’t get any. I suspect his father died once he realized he loved the wrong child and never for the chance to reconcile with his biological  son. He is a selfish and horrible human being. He pretends to be nice with his ulterior motives. I wonder what will happen once the truth comes out?? I at least know he loves his son. But I don’t know about Yoon Hye Mi. I wonder if she loves her son at all. She is not a happy person and willing to do anything for power. 

Funniest thing I was actually thinking Hong Ying-Seol did love Kang. I thought she pretended be indifferent with him to protect him from her eldest son family but they way she healed at him like after losing his dog and Ahjussi. Made me hate her even more. She ruined his life and made him live in loveless family. Everyone around him has never shown him any kind of affection. But it seems she just doesn’t love him or am I wrong??? 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I too detested the brother in the early days but he does gradually become less detestable over time. ;) He's been quite hilarious these last few episodes becoming the OTP's biggest cheerleader. 

i cracked up in the most recent episode scene.. where CY was using the infamous dyson v11 to vacuum the grains off ahjumma’s floor and the brother continued to laze there and skid from one side to another without getting up :joy: sometimes i wonder if such funny ideas come from the writer or the actors themselves devise part of those :tounge_wink:

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I still cannot really understand Kang's expression when Cha Young make her confession by telling him her story. Didn't he get it when she started her story by talking about the boy who fed her when they were kids and she told him that the boy was her first love. Why did he just continue smiling like Cha Young was talking about someone else? I thought he will start to feel something when she said that the boy was his first love and it was him. I love the last scene, but I still don't really get it :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4

@ben1090 I understand what you mean. He should have shown more emotions when CY was telling her story. I mean, wasn't it great to learn that CY liked him as a little boy? But his face was still not showing much. I was also thinking that during the time he walked past her and he had some flash backs, I find that it was not profound enough. Her confession and his reflection were good, but I felt it could be better. The built up to the climax point could be better. There should be more emotions that can pierce hearts leading to him running to kiss her... 

• Like 6

i think LK was more shocked at the part when CY said, she and MS got together (the meaning should have been got to know each other) cos of him.. when she was at the place (the hospital bench with leftover food) where she first met LK (adult) and learnt from MS of his accident in Libya..

he was a bit slow to piece up the puzzles to know that it has always been him and CY all these while with bits of “sidetracks” but still, them!

• Like 1
  • Love 3