[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

Glad Joon bonds more with Kang.. I swear he gave me BL feels:w00t: from the way he gazed at Kang as he bandaged his hand!:lol:

To the other sibling in this depressing drama - the Moon siblings.-_- It's nice to see Tae Hyun owning up to his ways & knowing he's hurting his sis. Funny how he needed to clarify there's no incest goin' on between him & his sis LoL.:P

Why did Dir. Kwon cried asking his ex?? Was he asking why she left him all those years ago? I hope Cha Young is alright & doesn't let guilt (again:rolleyes:) keep her away from Kang. 'Cause she & Kang already spent 14.5 ep. on doin' that over Min Seong so yea nope. Please. 

1 ep. to go phew LoL.:sweatingbullets: Don't know how to feel right now tbh. I'm happy that it's ending 'cause geez it's so emo ha-ha:P at the same time I'm torn 'cause I wish to see more of Joon really.. he deserves to be loved too..        

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

On 1/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, AquariusMY said:

It is always a pleasure reading everyone's comments and analysis of this drama. It has become habitual to come here to check out comments and updates. Same question as everyone - what am I gonna do after this drama ends? 

As for the bts on the kiss scene, why is it that I have this odd feeling that YKS did not kiss HJW's lips but right at the side instead? I wish I am wrong but why would the wetness be at the side? Or maybe because he rushed to kiss her that he kinda missed the target or maybe only met half of her lips? Perhaps I was influenced by what I read elsewhere about HJW is not the type to go for proper kiss scenes? Nonetheless, I do agree that for once, both are serious in this bts. In fact, you can see how YKS was building up his emotion for this. And she still looked serious after the kiss ended and he on the other hand tried to lighten the mood or awkwardness.

Help, I am falling for LK! Or am I falling for YKS? He has portrayed this character beautifully. It is my first encounter with him and I am hooked. 

Regarding both their chemistry, I suppose if both are easy going individuals, it will be easy to work well together. He seems to be a playful and goofy person in real life. So different from serious LK. Do you all notice that HJW likes to playfully hit YKS? I realize she does this with other male leads in other dramas too. Guess it is just her being her.

I am starting to like brother TH. He is the most 'realistic' character on the fact that we can relate to him in real life. The way he lies down cross legged, the way he slides on the floor, etc. It was funny to see him trying to push her sis to LK in the kitchen and the nun and monk remark was epic. Best of all, our LK was not embarrassed at all! He will be such a good big bro in law to TH.

Sigh, please dont stop this thread even after the drama ends. Some of us here still need to come here to get things off our chest.

I don't know why, but Ha Ji Won had some great kisses with Hyun Bin in Secret Garden. After that, all her kissing scenes were lame xD At least this scene in Chocolate they made it look very passionate despite not actually showing their lips really connecting fully...

• Like 3

Watching the OTP in the kitchen yet again nattering about the past and snacking on pumpkin fritters made me greedy for more scenes of them. I instantly craved for more of these types of dating scenes. Cooking and sharing meals with just the two of them. But it is undeniable that they both still have so much baggage to deal with in their personal lives.

Perhaps my imagination's gone a bit unwieldy now that we're reaching the end but there seems to be a suggestion at the end that Kang's mother saved CY for Kang, unknown to anyone at the time. It's one of those fate things they love in Kdramaland with the added bonus of childhood connection thrown in. ;) I very much doubt Mum would have survived that injury at all and in essence what she did was fan the flame of hope so that CY wouldn't be too distraught before help came. Because of the chocolate, she hung in there until she was rescued. Perhaps it's not beyond the pale to make the point that CY was Mum's parting gift to Kang.

Chocolate is the red string (there was even a ball of it at Cooking Ajumma's place) that binds their history and gives it continuity for the future. Starting with the choco shasha, the shopping centre collapse and then CY's use of it to de-stress and connect with the patients who are at the end of life's journey.

TH really impressed me today. He really has come so far as a character. Considering where he was at the start and where he is now, it's almost as if he's a different man entirely. I think we had hints of the bond that was between the Moon siblings despite his clownish ways some episodes earlier. He really does care about his sister and he hasn't been untouched by her trauma. He certainly had no clue how to help her... except to find her a wealthy husband so that she didn't have to work so hard to support the two of them. They both have always had serious mummy issues and dealt with them in their own ways. 

Families are hard. So hard. Super hard. They bring us into the world, give us a place to grow and let's face it, they screw around with our hearts and minds from time to time. Or a lot... depending on circumstances and choices that our predecessors make. And the weight of expectations can sometimes be insane. Family sets the tone for how our lives may go but they don't necessarily determine its trajectory. We saw that with Jun today. After a lifelong compliance, he calls it quits. He hated the cheating... always did. For him his whole life's been a lie except for ceramics. That's the only thing that's really his own. A pastime that gives him some modicum of pleasure. I used to wonder why they cast a younger actor to play the older cousin and vice versa. Maybe it's just because they wanted JSJ for his pottery skills. ;) I haven't heard why. But I like to think it's because Jun was the sheltered one. His parents did everything to make things easier for him to gain control of Gosung including sending Kang to a warzone where death was a real possibility. Kang, on the other hand, had to stand on his on two feet from such a young age. He had no backing within the family to prop him up or advocate for him. No father or mother even for emotional support. So he grew up quickly, was far more independent but lonely. That I imagine, was Grandma's intention. For him to be self-reliant and build an outer shell of calluses. 

The problem with Grandma's MO is her faulty understanding of what it means to leave a legacy. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with wanting the family business to continue with family members but a legacy is more than leaving behind wealth for one's descendants. Children have hearts and minds that need to be loved and nurtured as well.  Under a different regime, Kang and Jun could have had a different history.

It feels that neither men are all that interested in Geosung these days. It's ironic that as the facade of family begins to disintegrate, the men begin to make their peace with one another. Lifelong wounds won't heal overnight but at least they can now converse civilly without breaking into fights or reducing all exchanges to angry one-liners. They can even agree on stuff now. ;)

Is it me or does anyone else think that Jun's mum, Hye Mi, is not at all well? Another candidate for the hospice?

The other thing that binds the leads is shoddy construction work that leads to building collapses. ;) I shouldn't make light of it because it is a serious matter. What is really appalling is that cutting corners for cost-saving seems to be endemic in the industry. Kang was ready to put his fist where the CEO had his lips flapping callously but TH ended up doing the deed and gave a heartrending speech about the long-term ramifications of such tragedies. People do survive these occurrences but it doesn't speak to their quality of life afterwards. Plus there are the families of those who died to consider. They too have to live with the loss of loved ones that they didn't have a chance to say goodbye to.

I need more scenes with the OTP being vulnerable with each other. Indeed I do. :wub:

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished episode with sub , I am glad brother & sister had their argument & sorted it out  , they should had it long time ago :D

he should be careful for what he asking when she is angry  , one day she may answer his prayers & hit him in the head :joy: 

5e223bf748a0d712779511.gif?download

5e223f0acd6c3470966229.gif?download

@Lawyerh this why can’t hate him :joy: he got time to think of name to change to , with all the problems he caused :mrgreen:

5e223f3c466cd544159699.gif?download

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

does anyone else think that Jun's mum, Hye Mi, is not at all well? Another candidate for the hospice?

I thought so too.

When i realized that they hadnt shown what Kang and her conversation had been about, then my second reaction was... may be it is her reaction to his answer. But she clutches her stomach.

22 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

need more scenes with the OTP being vulnerable with each other. Indeed I do. 

. only one kitchen scene, one chocolate handing scene and (if we stretch our ambit really wide) then when the ceo is being tackled by TH scene. That hardly counts. Family love is fine but otp love is needed. I so want to see more of them.

I know that there cant be a season two but i just dont know how will they finish in 1 episode!!

32 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

there seems to be a suggestion at the end that Kang's mother saved CY for Kang, unknown to anyone at the time. It's one of those fate things they love in Kdramaland with the added bonus of childhood connection thrown in.

I hadnt made the red thread connection with the red wool yarn we saw earlier.

CY feeling guilty I understand to the extent that she was a child and she didnt know the extent of the ajumma's injuries. But saying that she gave me chocolate which could have saved her life is a bit... too imaginative for me.

And now they articulate what you had said somewhere that CY cooks to share selflessly and pass on what she got!

And i am glad that the director's ex-wife didn't pass away...but she has deteriorated very fast. she did say the last time she cooked him that elaborate meal that this is the last so please eat it. 

I did have a question @40somethingahjumma -- 

CY's voice over while the two are eating what Kang has cooked confused me.

She actually says I have lots to tell and i will tell you when I meet you to the ahjumma who saved her life (kang's mom). Is that something lost in translation or prophetic words?

Anyone else here who has a take on that?

The episode was focused on families and i did want more of the otp but i cant say that I wasnt touched. 

Some stories will just end with hints but I so wanted to see this director/writer's version of those stories. Totally not fair!!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I loved every part of today's episode, although not sure where we are going with all the bits and pieces of new characters that are being added....we already need closure for too any stories........Jun's situation broke my heart....its astonishing that grandma's bloodline somehow ended on somebody like Jun and Kang.....I am glad the two brothers made their peace and realized that their fighting a fight that neither want any part of, Kang wanted to live happily with his mother and wanted to be a chef, Jun wanted to play fair to prove his worth, not cut the line using blackmail and wanted to be an artist instead of a doctor.......I hated how grandmother shoved him aside, she made a monster out of her daughter-in-law by using her, pushed Kang and Jun against one another and made them fight with each other and now she is projecting on to Jun, how dare she! She deserves it, whatever situation she is in. I am just glad that Jun saw what life waits ahead for him if he continued to play this nasty game and is choosing to break free while he still can. 

As for Cha Young, I am not surprised at all that she is the one who will ask to put a distance most possibly finding out about Kang's mother.......that is a trauma that won't go away so easily.....forgiving herself for a situation that wasn't her fault will take time.....I also liked Tae Hyun's story......it came full circle in sort a really nice way......I just hope we get a shot of future at the end......with Cha Young and Kang walking down the aisle in Wando with Jun as his best man smiling down looking at them but even if that doesn't happen, I will happily take that kiss in the greek beach.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

She # you are not a man :joy:

Spoiler

5e224c2ad2d49979418913.gif?download

him # wait let me show you :ph34r::mrgreen::warning:

15793067071579306699.gif

him # will kiss change your mind :tounge_wink:

5e224d559dd0e932521159.gif?download

she # I am not sure yet He manly  but that lips is so moist oops Plump:sweat_smile:

15793059301579305920.gif

** My science homework done :tounge_wink:

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dramafreak said:

CY feeling guilty I understand to the extent that she was a child and she didnt know the extent of the ajumma's injuries. But saying that she gave me chocolate which could have saved her life is a bit... too imaginative for me.

I agree. It was too imaginative for me as well; how could a simple chocolate save a life...? Plus, she had been impaled by a steel pipe already. I think that LK would know that his mom would not survive regardless if she had the chocolate or not...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

I did have a question @40somethingahjumma -- 

CY's voice over while the two are eating what Kang has cooked confused me.

She actually says I have lots to tell and i will tell you when I meet you to the ahjumma who saved her life (kang's mom). Is that something lost in translation or prophetic words?

My take on it is that CY is happy and thankful that she's now in a dating relationship with Kang so she credits this to the ajumma who kept her alive. Of course it's tinged with irony because her first love whom she's dating now is the son of the woman she is thanking.

It may be a harbinger of something ominous in the bigger picture but I don't think CY in that moment means for it to be the case. She's just happy to be alive at that moment in time.

Looking at the previews it does appear that CY will do her disappearing act again. Sigh. 

I know that everyone's worried that it's because of she finds out who Kang's mother is that she calls for a separation. Poor man, he looks so happy though. The other thing that worries me is if she finds out that the tremor in his hands is due to him missing the golden time because he was performing surgery on her. One of those alone might not do it but both of them together could send her running. 

I don't think CY is at all logical about what happens to Kang's mum. It's survivor's guilt I imagine. And set up for angst ahead.

Edited: Just think of it this way... She's the same person who believed that Ji-yong was really an Iron Ranger from another planet. There is a naivete about her.

15 hours ago, triplem said:

I am enjoying all the creative ways that the writer has allowed the OTP to be in the same screen. I love all the angst ...crazy I know :D

This is precisely why we're drama buddies. :D Yeah... that is probably my most favourite thing about this drama. Even when they're not together, he can't get away from her. ;)

• Like 4
  • Love 3

from the chinese subs..

she finally got a call from her birth mom to meet up? she was scared and thats why suggested to LK if he would run away with her?

she was actually reluctant to meet up with her mom for fear that the mom is living well without them.. but was relieved that she isn’t. not sure if “relieved” should be the word to use.

i’ll be watching ep15 with eng subs later.. gotta rush for some last min chinese new year preparations (my love.. my kdrama.. my kisses.. i have to shelf them to later

today.. cries)

2 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

She # you are not a man :joy:

this post is hilarious, i must rewatch it many times later hahaha.. and, what’s wrong with the kdramas i’ve been watching lately?? its a KISS not a peck!!! 

*starts slapping people with dried pollack*

oops dried pollack is not this kdrama hahaha ok,

*starts throwing chocolate shasha at everyone*

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Cant stop thinking of chocolate so had to read and respond:

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

know that everyone's worried that it's because of she finds out who Kang's mother is that she calls for a separation. Poor man, he looks so happy though. The other thing that worries me is if she finds out that the tremor in his hands is due to him missing the golden time because he was performing surgery on her. One of those alone might not do it but both of them together could send her running. 

I don't think CY is at all logical about what happens to Kang's mum. It's survivor's guilt I imagine. And set up for angst ahead

I am worried about not getting my closure on everything. They only showed the otp in the preview but what if otp again get 5 minutes together? I do want to see Jun's love interest, who it seems wont be the noona but his wife in real life. Would have been nice to have a double date :D

the letter from MS wont appear but you are right both of Kang's secrets might be told to CY and that will make her run for sure.

I was also thinking what if like the chef ahjumma, CY leaves because she believes that she should heal first before adding more burden on him (this case not being likely!). 

i am glad that TH got to shake CY out of the "i-am-the-only-victim" narrative because I felt she used that a lot infront of TH to make him feel guilty. Yes he is a leech and all but "i was abandoned - mom abandoned me - you abandoned me and I have lived a sad life" speaking out aloud infront of TH made me think of CY as also being a bit self-centered when it came to her bro. She offers herself selfless to everyone but her bro and in so many subtle ways the drama showed us that the selfish bro offers himself selflessly to his sister without her consciously realizing. The trying to find him a rich husband, all the right prods in Kangs direction, worrying about her in a in ur face way but genuinely worrying and then ofcourse listening to her insults (yes he did do wrong things. But in the asian context, men mooch and dont always accept insults from women. They stand defiant as though it is their right because that woman is family because she is a wife/sister/mother. Lots of films/dramas/books highlight such characters), which at times, i felt someone could take to heart and feel bad. Today he does. He is like when will u ever believe that I am not that bad. Again I need to see the series again as I might be wrong but tis interesting how characters are changing colours and shapes.

jun says it in one dialogue: everyone is so full of themselves. And i think that sums it up... we are full of ourselves in different ways and dont always listen for everyone equally. However, that a broader reflection on myself, specially when I think of the moon siblings and their relationship.

@xprosperity i tried the quoting magic after posting this but it didn't work on my mobile so doing it the simple way:

Kang or for that matter CY dont know the extent of his mom's injuries in that collapse. The fact that Kang doesnt cry infront of her shows that he doesnt blame her. But a possibility is that she sees him cry as he is taking far too long (but am sure drama will do it in its own way!).

Anyway... just that chocolate bit was my bone of contention. Survivor's guilt i get but not over the chocolate.

In the end... chocolate could save life as it is food and food signifies hope. We are more hopeful when our stomachs are full or sweet things give us a sugar rush (and that rush can help us sustain some blows).

But ahjumma eating that chocolate herself would have saved her is...a spin I cant digest. :D

• Like 4

Dear All,

I am so glad to be able to read all your comments and insights here. I am also glad to be a part of Chocolate family here.

Episode 15 pretty much turned me into a blubbering mess. I shed tears pretty much every few minutes. I even cried when Dir. Kwon had the rice cake.

Loving the bromance, the slow-burn romance, the cooking, the sceneries and the OSTs more than I first started watching this beautiful drama. The feels and emotions it invoked were unbelievable.

Lets prepare tonnes of tissues for tonight, peeps!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

And now they articulate what you had said somewhere that CY cooks to share selflessly and pass on what she got!

1 hour ago, xprosperity said:

I agree. It was too imaginative for me as well; how could a simple chocolate save a life...? Plus, she had been impaled by a steel pipe already. I think that LK would know that his mom would not survive regardless if she had the chocolate or not...

I’ve read there is condition they called as survivor’s guilt. But CY was just too small when the collapse happened. 

I’m still complaining here regarding the small amount of OTP screen time. Do they want to cramp our OTP’s scene in one last ep <_<

Anyway TH’s scene when he told that man he killed not only victim but also survivor and their family is spot on make me :tears:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Ep 15 >> watched it 2 times lol

The opening scene. Why they didn't discuss their last kiss at all? :joy:

maybe that came as a peck.. so it didn’t bother them much *roll eyes* hahaha i think the kissing standards in kdramas must have risen very high these days.. tight lips to lips kisses are pecks these days.. @Ameera Ali the bts kissing expert analyst will understand the fist gripping feel i have these days :expressionless:

but I'm kind of wonder why his hand tremor never appear when he's cooking ? :ph34r:

LOVE heals everything.. ok in this case, it only heals his trembling hand when he is immersed in the presence of his love :blush:

She seems to have upset stomach. Even I hate her, I hope its nothing serious.

you know sometimes i feel i’m a heartless person.. i really hope she lands up in the hospice :naughty: first i wished it was the grandma now i wished its her.. oops!!

HJW IG post on singing the YOU&I ost

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

@Lawyerh i had a good laugh. That was such a cute post.

39 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

think this drama will end all the loose ties and rope it together perfectly in the end.

I hope so... crosssing my fingers and toes. If it does then it will be in a hurry and I will be :(

if it doesnt I will be :(

so my box of tissues are ready :)

Ep 15 >> watched it 2 times lol

The opening scene. Why they didn't discuss their last kiss at all? :joy: But I'm glad, Jun & Kang moving toward close brotherhood. And as what we're expected, Jun really tried his best on Kang's operation. 

Oh i have to watch it at least twice more :D

high five.

with regard to why didnt they discuss the kiss...

hahaha!

IKR!!! They never discuss interesting stuff instead give our otp only two scenes to be together on screen...the previews are so wrong!! :(

And who else glad to see Kang in pink apron again? Me, for sure. The pink apron seems to got permanent owner now :DKang is really a good cooker, but I'm kind of wonder why his hand tremor never appear when he's cooking ? :ph34r:Okay I admit I keep on squealing, so sweet this couple .... @Dramafreak@40somethingahjumma

I am happy to see him any dress as long as he is spending time with CY... but pink apron's permanent owner... Hahaha!

I have also wondered how come after that one episode when he wouldnt even pick a coffee jar with his impacted hand, he now does all the cooking and cutting! But who cares?

Can i get such a cook, plz! But i smiled and smiled lots even when they shared only 4 dialogues (of which I had heard one about a 100 times waiting for this episode to air!) Before he starts cooking.

the last scene, just broke my heart.

Time to have some chocolate :)

Triple kiss??? This drama exceeded my expectation.

:joy:

@Ameera Ali and @sadthe1st you guys are killing it! Thank you for making me laugh so much at dawn :D i am looking forward to saturday night!!

I just thought of something new (but not fun): maybe CY gets to know that Jun and Kang are related so Jun's relative in the collapse was Kang's mom. 

(Ok time to sleep and dream of chocolate some more)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

with regard to why didnt they discuss the kiss...

hahaha!

IKR!!! They never discuss interesting stuff instead give our otp only two scenes to be together on screen...the previews are so wrong!! :(

@Dramafreak @Lawyerh discussion in kdrama kill the love :joy: , everyone should do like dr Kang ask for time out , rather than discuss it :mrgreen:

someone with wisdom say

ezgif-5-d8ab5f596cfc.gif

, @Lawyerh when dr Kang elope with CY , will the brother finally have his dream wife oops  dream car :tounge_wink:

• LOL 11