[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

I hate one thing though....why is Cha Young paying her mother's husband money....I liked that she finally let go but seconds later she was trying pay for her mother's sin....I know that she has heart of Gold but that irked me....her mother is a criminal, she should pay for her wrongdoing by going to jail...Cha Young should not step in to take responsibility here...sometimes you need to cut toxicity completely out....she should have walked away...its not her guilt nor her burden to bear...we know she is a kind heroine....writers don't need to bend over backwords to hammer that in...that was excessive...also can somebody beat the crap out of Jun's father...he is too much of an insensitive, entitled, imbecile at this point for me to even feel sorry for...its nothing short of a miracle that an imbecile and greedy vulture have a son like Jun...Jun needs to tell him the truth, say richard simmons off to his family snd get the hell out.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

I hate one thing though....why is Cha Young paying her mother's husband money....I liked that she finally let go but seconds later she was trying pay for her mother's sin....I know that she has heart of Gold but that irked me....her mother is a criminal, she should pay for her wrongdoing by going to jail...Cha Young should not step in to take responsibility here...sometimes you need to cut toxicity completely out....she should have walked away...its not her guilt nor her burden to bear...we know she is a kind heroine....writers don't need to bend over backwords to hammer that in...that was excessive..

My personal thought: Cha-Young's mother might be a criminal, but she is still CY's mother. I think the writer is putting in a "morality" issue here. No matter how wrong the parents can be (to their own children or anyone else), but children always owe their parents the responsibility of having giving birth and raised them.

So CY paying back her mother's "debt" to that husband is a way for CY to (1) help her mother lessen the crimes that she might have committed (2) also able to "payback" (being filial) to her mother, as a result. 

Now, how many of us love their parents "enough" to do that in real life? I don't know.

But I see the writer's depth in putting in that detail.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

LK's mother foolishly thought he would be better off with his father's family because they had money.

Love what you have written. Except that I would disagree with the above about his mother making a foolish decision because of money. LK’s mother had to acknowledge the family connection because she was forced to and had no choice in order to get the doctors to start proper treatment to save the unconscious LK. If if she hadn’t done so, the doctors were going to ignore LK and he might die. Even later on, we also learned that she had intended to bring young LK back to Wando and leave the toxic family, thus she went to buy the chocolates first and unfortunately met with death. So I feel his mother never thought about the money. She only did that at the hospital to save LK’s threatened life. 

39 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

why is Cha Young paying her mother's husband money....

I agree. I thought it was still fine to give a one time support maybe to help him tide over, but when she continued saying that she will give again when the money is used up, I was like whoa, can she really afford that? Since she is not a super rich person with high salary...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, MindfulL said:

My personal thought: Cha-Young's mother might be a criminal, but she is still CY's mother. I think the writer is putting in a "morality" issue here. No matter how wrong the parents can be (to their own children or anyone else), but children always owe their parents the responsibility of having giving birth and raised them.

So CY paying back her mother's "debt" to that husband is a way for CY to (1) help her mother lessen the crimes that she might have committed (2) also able to "payback" (being filial) to her mother, as a result. 

Now, how many of us love their parents "enough" to do that in real life? I don't know.

But I see the writer's depth in putting in that detail.  

Sorry, I abosultely don't agree to this....in reality people would not...her mother abandoned her in a building that collapsed and has not apologized since...CY has no obligation moral or otherwise here....it unhealthy to even promote this sort of horseshit....CY can barely afford her own living, supporting her useless brother and is in no situation financially to be able to pull this sort of committment to a stranger when she has health issues to deal with....she is a chef with no sense of smell or taste, she has no idea if she can continue to earn a living in her current state....speaking of CY's stupidity the fact that she never filed a complaint agaist the guy who assualted her and caused damage to her nervous system, this is all together too much....being kind to criminals is not a favor to yourself or the world, that boy is likely to end up hurting somebody else....I like empathatic leads but selflessness doesn't require one to go bankrupt and become physically ill in the process

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nymeria289 said:

CY has no obligation moral or otherwise here....it unhealthy to even promote this sort of horseshit....CY can barely afford her own living, supporting her useless brother and is in no situation financially to be able to pull this sort of committment to a stranger when she has health issues to deal with....she is a chef with no sense of smell or taste, she has no idea if she can continue to earn a living in her current state....

This is a matter of culture and values. Asians view filial piety very highly and it is a value that has been instilled since young by families and society. I can understand why she felt the need to do so. In some countries, the law requires children to pay off deceased parents debts, no matter how it was incurred (legally or illegally) which is why we heard of people with huge debts killing off his whole family then killed himself. There was just a real life case happened recently in Taiwan. It’s in the news because he was the brother of a celebrity. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting discussion... :wub:

My own opinion about why CY paid for the holiday house ajussi's meals is fundamentally about her as a person. It's practically in her DNA. We don't have to agree with what she did... ethically, philosophically or practically. But I think we can agree that it is completely consistent with who she is as a person. She is a giving person right down to the core of her being. That largely comes from being a disaster survivor and having received kindness from others. So she's made it her mission to do what she can in that regard. Moreover she's a person that takes responsibility for others and that's patently clear especially with regards to her irresponsible brother. He's been a thorn in her side for years but over and over, she does what she has to bail him out of situations, to keep their heads above the water. It's been established repeatedly that she cares far too much... even to the point of reckless abandon. In her mind, paying for the man's meals is the least she can do for him. She can't cook for him herself but she can pay someone else to make sure he gets fed. I think too that she sees him as distantly family. The man considers her mother to be his wife so perhaps there is really at least a step relationship between them.

Before we get too critical of her tendency to be generous to a fault... it is ultimately what leads Kang to fall for her and unbury his feelings. He was also initially critical of her caring too much for the hospice residents... especially getting herself hurt in the process. But when he finally becomes a fully-fledged recipient of her kindness, as we saw in the Wando episode, he knows that she's the one he cannot let get away however messy their history might be. All the emotional conflict he's been feeling over her is instantly resolved in that moment.

I love what he says to her on the roof after he gets punched by the cop. "I know that you would run up here with this (bag of ice) if anyone else got hurt. But I will think whatever I want and believe that you did this because you care about me." :D I love it because it just shows how much he understands her.

Too adorable for words.

• Like 10
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

I hate one thing though....why is Cha Young paying her mother's husband money....I liked that she finally let go but seconds later she was trying pay for her mother's sin....

i think it could have been her guilt.. although its totally not a least bit her fault or responsibility but she stared at the poor old man waiting at the bus stop without breakfast everyday hoping that his wife (her mom) would return.. she knew its going to be a wasted hope :fearful: she doesn’t want him to fall sick as well..

on the funny side.. she took out almost all her savings and still, went for a bbq clam feast :tounge_wink: maybe calling LK to travel 2hours to meet her was (the cruel truth.. i’m joking here!) that she realised she doesn’t have money to pay for the food!! :joy:

• LOL 6

14 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

on the funny side.. she took out almost all her savings and still, went for a bbq clam feast :tounge_wink: maybe calling LK to travel 2hours to meet her was (the cruel truth.. i’m joking here!) that she realised she doesn’t have money to pay for the food!! :joy:

As I've said he owes her big time so he can pay for all the food from now on. And more...

For the rest of his life.

;)

What's more... he got the answer he wanted and got to kiss the girl!!

I'd say that's more than ample compensation for a 2 hour drive.

Welcome to all the new people!

• LOL 7

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

This is a matter of culture and values. Asians view filial piety very highly and it is a value that has been instilled since young by families and society. I can understand why she felt the need to do so. In some countries, the law requires children to pay off deceased parents debts, no matter how it was incurred (legally or illegally) which is why we heard of people with huge debts killing off his whole family then killed himself. There was just a real life case happened recently in Taiwan. It’s in the news because he was the brother of a celebrity. 

I am asian....I am well aware of culture and find it unhealthy and at times downright dangerous as I have seen people being exploited as a result..I have never enjoyed it being glorified on tv...you can be kind, considerate, empathatic while walking away from toxicity....CY giving money once understandable...promising to pay at regular intervals....nope

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

4 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Sorry, I abosultely don't agree to this....in reality people would not...her mother abandoned her in a building that collapsed and has not apologized since...CY has no obligation moral or otherwise here....it unhealthy to even promote this sort of horseshit....CY can barely afford her own living, supporting her useless brother and is in no situation financially to be able to pull this sort of committment to a stranger when she has health issues to deal with....she is a chef with no sense of smell or taste, she has no idea if she can continue to earn a living in her current state....speaking of CY's stupidity the fact that she never filed a complaint agaist the guy who assualted her and caused damage to her nervous system, this is all together too much....being kind to criminals is not a favor to yourself or the world, that boy is likely to end up hurting somebody else....I like empathatic leads but selflessness doesn't require one to go bankrupt and become physically ill in the process

CY is a good person at heart & is repaying him back because she simply wants too. There is guilt on her part due to her mom's wrong doing but she decided that she wont wait/care for her mom any more. 

Although, I agree with you that characters who've wronged her like her mother and that brother who pushed her that resulted her to lose her senses needs to face consequences, we have to remember that the writer is most likely wont choose to focus on that aspect/in depth because it'll end up having some sort of procedural/cop situation & this drama wont incorporate those kinds of scenes. Plus, this drama only has 2 episodes left. I never found the writer for Chocolate along w/ her other shows to have much complexity/depth in storytelling/writing, and for this kind of drama, sometimes it doesnt need to be. It is what it. The writer did wrote Uncontrollably Fond so I dont expect much lol but I have enjoyed Chocolate very much.  Although, I am happy that brother who made her lose her sense did get his butt handed to him by LK. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

46 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

the funny side.. she took out almost all her savings and still, went for a bbq clam feast :tounge_wink: maybe calling LK to travel 2hours to meet her was (the cruel truth.. i’m joking here!) that she realised she doesn’t have money to pay for the food!! :joy:

Bwhahahaha! I laughed so hard at this comment! She only had a couple of dollars left and probably couldn't pay for the food! We all thought she missed him but she needed someone to pay for the food she ordered! Pffft, look at all of those clams she ordered! She probably went, "Oh no! I forgot I only had less than 20 dollars!"

23 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As I've said he owes her big time so he can pay for all the food from now on. And more...

For the rest of his life.

;)

What's more... he got the answer he wanted and got to kiss the girl!!

I'd say that's more than ample compensation for a 2 hour drive.

Welcome to all the new people!

Hahahahahaha! More clams? Exactly! A few clams in exchange for all of those lovey-dovey/cooing that he did earlier in the day AND also a kiss? I think it's well worth it in LK's perspective (and CY too!) That proposal was so cute on both end- I'm not sure if I'd be able to marry without a proposal like that.

Also a warm welcome to all of the new folks on this thread! Virtual handshakes and hugs to all of you here! Let's brace for the last week!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, xprosperity said:

Hahahahahaha! More clams? Exactly! A few clams in exchange for all of those lovey-dovey/cooing that he did earlier in the day AND also a kiss? I think it's well worth it in LK's perspective (and CY too!) That proposal was so cute on both end- I'm not sure if I'd be able to marry without a proposal like that.

I very much doubt that a lifetime of clams will ever be enough to atone for all his sins. Not sure that chocolates would do it either.

;)

At this point I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with us! We got a lip thing and a hug on the weekend... and here we are talking about money and clams!

This is Soompi. We should be doing deep analysis of the lip-smother (that is not a kiss) and the hug. We should be breaking the internet with squeeing, screams and sobs.

It's embarrassing, I tell ya.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

At this point I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with us! We got a lip thing and a hug on the weekend... and here we are talking about money and clams!

This is Soompi. We should be doing deep analysis of the lip-smother (that is not a kiss) and the hug. We should be breaking the internet with squeeing, screams and sobs.

It's embarrassing, I tell ya.

hahaha!! can’t help it cos the atm display of the balance 3230 won and later then clam feast :joy: i can’t correlate these 2 scenes..

jtbc needs to provide clearer stills.. since it was already evening i can’t even zoom properly to scrutinise the kiss!! :unamused:

• LOL 6

Episode 14 has seen such great improvements and developments between the leads, so much so that I do not want the show to end so soon in just another 2 episodes! I agree with everyone’s comments and sentiments after watching episode 14 (more than once) and I just cannot have enough of LK and CY.

1. It is so refreshing to see such a matured and sensible relationship development. LK and CY respect each other and know exactly what they are after. He tried to push her and his growing feelings for her until a point where he realized he just wants to follow his heart. And once he decides on that, he did not procrastinate further. He has immediately seized the opportunity to ask for her permission to like her. And even after the confession, he was matured enough to make her feel at ease by telling CY that there is no pressure for her to answer him and he will respect her choice. At the same time, he doesn’t shy away from admitting to her he wants to look like a hero in front of her, and that he wants to think that she is concern for him (even though he knows she is generally nice to everyone). I mean, which guy does this and confess so much to a girl? He even told her it was actually his day off but he purposely came to work to see her? Or what about him talking ever so gently to her on the phone and immediately went over to see her just because she called? Wow! I am already in love with LK!

2. As for CY, again, here is a very sensible and matured lady who knows she needs to tell her story to him. She needed him to know she has always liked him, thinking of him on hours end, etc. She needed him to know how she met MS because of LK. It is wonderful to see the relationship develops without any baggage from the past. I wish he will know how deep her feelings for him are. If only the drama will focus on all the details, instead of leaving to us to imagine them. Just like the ending kiss scene, will we get to see more? I want to see him consoling her, telling her everything is fine, wiping her tears, etc. I need to see and feel the emotions between them, to see that she is leaning on him for support. CY has been too independent her whole life that it will be nice to see him being there for her for support.

What shall I do after this drama ends?

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

We should be doing deep analysis of the lip-smother (that is not a kiss) and the hug. We should be breaking the internet with squeeing, screams and sobs.

I want to analyse the kiss and the hug, but I couldn't see their faces at all! We were left high and dry, if I may be brutally honest! And we have to wait a week to hope for another such scene. I actually wish I could see both tears of pain and joy in them before, during and after the kiss, but nothing was shown. Sigh, we just need to imagine the scene ourselves by adding our own seasoning...

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, AquariusMY said:

Episode 14 has seen such great improvements and developments between the leads, so much so that I do not want the show to end so soon in just another 2 episodes! I agree with everyone’s comments and sentiments after watching episode 14 (more than once) and I just cannot have enough of LK and CY.

1. It is so refreshing to see such a matured and sensible relationship development. LK and CY respect each other and know exactly what they are after. He tried to push her and his growing feelings for her until a point where he realized he just wants to follow his heart. And once he decides on that, he did not procrastinate further. He has immediately seized the opportunity to ask for her permission to like her. And even after the confession, he was matured enough to make her feel at ease by telling CY that there is no pressure for her to answer him and he will respect her choice. At the same time, he doesn’t shy away from admitting to her he wants to look like a hero in front of her, and that he wants to think that she is concern for him (even though he knows she is generally nice to everyone). I mean, which guy does this and confess so much to a girl? He even told her it was actually his day off but he purposely came to work to see her? Or what about him talking ever so gently to her on the phone and immediately went over to see her just because she called? Wow! I am already in love with LK!

2. As for CY, again, here is a very sensible and matured lady who knows she needs to tell her story to him. She needed him to know she has always liked him, thinking of him on hours end, etc. She needed him to know how she met MS because of LK. It is wonderful to see the relationship develops without any baggage from the past. I wish he will know how deep her feelings for him are. If only the drama will focus on all the details, instead of leaving to us to imagine them. Just like the ending kiss scene, will we get to see more? I want to see him consoling her, telling her everything is fine, wiping her tears, etc. I need to see and feel the emotions between them, to see that she is leaning on him for support. CY has been too independent her whole life that it will be nice to see him being there for her for support.

What shall I do after this drama ends?

Yeah the writer only give us 2 eps left of CY and LK as a couple, with the possibility CY will leave LK to Greece, so it less than 2 eps actually, while i knew the drama didn’t just focus on the main OTP but also the side characters especially in the hospice, i still think there were many filler scenes which aren’t necessary to the plot

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, sadthe1st said:

omg i never realise YKS was this sexy!!! :scream: he was just all serious.. goofy.. and funny in the drama and bts.. but this, is hot chocolate fudge :w00t:

Oh my, I was just commenting earlier that YKS doesn't look like one with tight abs! Well, I guess we must not forget that he sings and dances in g.o.d......

• LOL 4

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

my DP is as dark as hell...lol.. I've been trying to brighten it couple of shades to no avail :joy: 

WAHAHAHHA seriously too dark :mrgreen: the evening scene was alr dim and with the sunset as backdrop the kissing was totally “masked out”.. i wonder, was that intentional to kill our excitement :smirk:

guess this is the best pic from jtbc :sweat_smile:

• LOL 3