[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

@AquariusMYyes he shouldve of shown more emotions but to him he's probably thinking okay I was your first love cause I gave you free food? Then CY went on saying more then he realized she really did love him and the fact she longed for him for soo MANY years hit him. He was a little slow to connect the dots because through out his whole life he has been emotionally abused and fought for survival with no Love in his life. The kiss was strong and the hug holding onto her very tight like I will not let you go was very good though. 

Edited by Starkissed
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

learnt from MS of his accident in Libya..

Hey... @sadthe1st

Just wanted to say that I think she learnt about the accident from the nurse and not MS. MS didnt know that she knew Kang. :)

And I agree... his emotions from the point when she turns to face him are... great!

I think @ben1090 meant when he is walking behind her and she begins by saying this might sound like a cliche. Even I found his expressions a bit hard to decipher until the point when she turns and then we hear Lee Kang and the sequence goes on.

3 hours ago, Starkissed said:

he shouldve of shown more emotions but to him he's probably thinking okay I was your first love cause I gave you free food?

Haha! Interesting interpretation @Starkissed

3 hours ago, Starkissed said:

He was a little slow to connect the dots because through out his whole life he has been emotionally abused and fought for survival with no Love in his life. The kiss was strong and the hug holding onto her very tight like I will not let you go was very good though.

and my heart melted :)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, ben1090 said:

I still cannot really understand Kang's expression when Cha Young make her confession by telling him her story. Didn't he get it when she started her story by talking about the boy who fed her when they were kids and she told him that the boy was her first love. Why did he just continue smiling like Cha Young was talking about someone else? I thought he will start to feel something when she said that the boy was his first love and it was him. I love the last scene, but I still don't really get it :sweatingbullets:

7 hours ago, AquariusMY said:

@ben1090 I understand what you mean. He should have shown more emotions when CY was telling her story. I mean, wasn't it great to learn that CY liked him as a little boy? But his face was still not showing much. I was also thinking that during the time he walked past her and he had some flash backs, I find that it was not profound enough. Her confession and his reflection were good, but I felt it could be better. The built up to the climax point could be better. There should be more emotions that can pierce hearts leading to him running to kiss her... 

7 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i think LK was more shocked at the part when CY said, she and MS got together (the meaning should have been got to know each other) cos of him.. when she was at the place (the hospital bench with leftover food) where she first met LK (adult) and learnt from MS of his accident in Libya..

he was a bit slow to piece up the puzzles to know that it has always been him and CY all these while with bits of “sidetracks” but still, them!

Because 1) He promised to listen to her long story; 2) he didn't know where she was going with all of that. 3) She also used the past tense... "There was someone I used to like". It's not especially clear in the Netflix subs but the C subbers use a lexical item which can mean "before". "Before there was someone I liked"

So he can't be sure if she still likes him or not or why she's giving him all that historical background.

It was too early for him to get excited over just that. ;) Moreover there were still gaps in his knowledge of the past.

10 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

And may I talk about the arrogant but tsundere Dr. Kang? He was broody from the first time he stepped in, and how he rejected her plain & short kind of amused me. But when he's with Min Seong, you can see hes totally warm up & kind.

Reveal hidden contents

The journey to see him soften up,  will took sometimes. But isn't that the big reward for us to see the character progress and how the love between them start to bloom slowly and steady? I personally think love will took sometimes to grow, and not an overnight process. 

I don't think we truly appreciate how monumentally hard it was for him to get to where he is right now. We should never forget that he resented her for what he thought she did to MS. He literally told her he never wanted to see her again. That's the starting point of their tumultuous relationship after MS death. Yes, he's a good doctor and saved her life but as he himself said repeatedly, he was determined to avoid her where possible. But he couldn't. The hospice isn't a big place and they came together on several occasions to help patients. Then, before he knew it, he didn't want to avoid her at all. Soon his heart just went where she went.

The beauty of YKS' performance is that we can see how he gradually softens towards her. It's realistically gradual because of where his journey began and the negatively charged emotions involved. He is also a man who until now kept a lot to himself.

It is an incredible moment when he gets up, grabs her arm and says to her "Can you not go to Greece? Can I like you?" We should let all that sink in a bit. For him not only to change his mind about her character but to fall in love with her to the point where he can override all his concerns over what MS might think or feel.. it is a huge, huge development. On top of that, he doesn't know if she likes him or not. At least he can't be sure because she is kind and caring to everyone. Even a doggie she just met. ;)

So it isn't really that slow when we consider the obstacles that he had to overcome. Externally and internally.

But now that he has made that step, we can be sure that he will stick to his guns.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

Just wanted to say that I think she learnt about the accident from the nurse and not MS. MS didnt know that she knew Kang. :)

sorry my memory got messed up (maybe cos of the kiss and massive hug :joy:)

and we are now at D-1 from second last episode.. :persevere: can’t wait for the plot progress but yet, can’t bear for it to end so fast..

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

I know you just can't let go the idea of chocolate ending kiss  (Sponsored by Godiva ) :joy:. Too bad, i didn't add this into the poll :mrgreen: But yeah drama start with chocolate might end with it as well... 

I can’t give up on it :joy:

My magic wand could have help with poll , kisses happen in sea surrounding :joy:

ezgif-2-83bf13e528f7.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

15 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

More than that I think is that she had the courage to be the "bad guy" in this. To make the man she actually had feelings for think worse of her than she deserved to be thought of. I won't say more than this. This is why she's such an awesome character in some ways. But it does create a genuine obstacle for the OTP to have to overcome.

Thank you for the welcome @40somethingahjumma :heart:. Always so nice to be sharing a thread . 

I realised too at the end of eps 2 that he sees her as the bad person here for dumping his best friend the way she did . I can foresee  the conflict ahead . But despite that , I was rather surprised to see him go to Greece to look for her . I suppose he really wants to get hold of those dumplings for the friend . His love for his friend definitely surpasses the negative perception he has about her . 

@Lawyerh I don’t mind the old school slow burn romance. It is refreshing ! 

@Ameera Ali Is that your predicted ending ? No makjang , cry a river ending ? :D I hope what you predict comes true . None of my ships in the other dramas are gonna sail . I need a good ending for this one. 

23 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

If you're asking me, I'll say it's going beautifully ;) but I've enjoyed this show pretty much from Ep 1. Admittedly some people don't like the so-called slow burn romance but I've loved it. 

I too detested the brother in the early days but he does gradually become less detestable over time. ;) He's been quite hilarious these last few episodes becoming the OTP's biggest cheerleader. 

I'm not sure where you heard it but there's thankfully no love triangle. :D The side plots... aren't really side plots. They are integral to the big themes of the drama (the fragility of life) and to the romance. More importantly it's through what goes on with the patients of the hospice that the ML comes to know the FL much better. His prejudices about her gradually melt away through these interactions. And then of course there's the whole baggage that she used to date his friend.

It is a lovely romance between two mature people who have been through a lot.

Plus the acting from the entire cast is great. Everyone plays their role well. HJW is perfect as CY & YKS as LK. When they stand next to eachother in close proximity:wub:.  

From the music score & cinematography, it is beautiful. I really enjoyed the directing style. Slow burn romance isnt for everyone but its befitting for this show since romance isnt the only main part because it focuses on healing & second chances. The show is such a tearjerker. Everything is bittersweet & heartfelt. Have a box of tissue close by:tears: !

• Like 7

Re: Kiss scene

Awww... that's so sweet. He helped wipe her mouth. Teehee. Interesting that there's no goofing around in that BTS. It was all very serious.

3 hours ago, triplem said:

I realised too at the end of eps 2 that he sees her as the bad person here for dumping his best friend the way she did . I can foresee  the conflict ahead . But despite that , I was rather surprised to see him go to Greece to look for her . I suppose he really wants to get hold of those dumplings for the friend . His love for his friend definitely surpasses the negative perception he has about her . 

They were undoubtedly the best of friends. I think our first introduction to adult Kang attending a private memorial for his mother that MS organized gave us a window into that relationship. MS was undeniably distraught at the thought that Kang was death's door in far flung Libya.

As I've said previously, that when she left for Greece that time, she killed two birds with a stone: she preserved their friendship and protected her integrity. She did the hard thing and moved on. I have said a lot more about MS elsewhere on this thread but I won't repeat it here because I don't know where you're at with the drama.

It's sad though that Kang had no one but MS. He was the closest thing to family that he had. Their friendship made his life with the crazy manipulative Lee clan a little more bearable. Such a grotesquely unpleasant group of people. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hello to all Chocolate-lovers, I'm de-lurking after a few years because of this drama and CLOY, and also I'm in between jobs right now so have a bit of spare time heh. Enjoyed going back and reading almost all the pages while in lurk mode the past week.

Been a long time since I last watched a healing drama (plus angst!) like this one. HJW and YKS really draw me in with their acting. I love that there's not really a love triangle in this drama, which is quite rare a scenario. However, I'm quite sad that as I feel this drama deserves more viewers... I got on the train late and binge-watched it on Netflix last week and now caught up with the episodes. Can't believe this week will be the last episodes! Hope the angst will be kept to a minimum :sweatingbullets:

Anyway, I couldn't find any subs for the making videos so I link below for the two latest behind-the-scenes:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qmjsc

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qmi0y

Just 2 more days till the last episodes! :bawling:

Edited by im0202
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

@Ameera Ali the funnyface that TH did in the kitchen scene bumping CY into LK.. that was totally hilarious too! and both guys seem to have fun goofing around :joy: what’s with the shoulder touch thingie.. i need eng subs :kiss:

HJW is so cute, with her signature both hands waving :mrgreen: just like how she appears in the bts making film she did that and YKS mimicked her hahahah

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Hi fellas!

Posting here in soompi for the first time although I have been lurking and silently reading posts in threads of different kdramas I used to watch (not so many though). I can say that my breakthrough should be credited to Chocolate. 

I can see familiar persons here that I saw from other threads that I visited before and I enjoyed reading your posts. (I have been reading the posts in this thread and constantly checking new posts.) I am glad I can identify with you. I too can't get myself to start watching any other kdramas. Probably, I will need time to move on from this kdrama. It is a fun and satisfying journey though, having to wait every week for new episodes, which I have never done before, having to cry and laugh and make my heart flutter. I must say that this drama stirred up my routine, shook my world and brought me to a happy place. I was actually anticipating another cable tv drama way back in November but it turned out, I can't get myself to watch anything else when I stumbled across Chocolate during the Christmas holidays. And I am glad I did.

This is one of the best kdramas I have ever seen. I could watch this over and over again and I could listen to OST all day long - I have been doing this for the past weeks. 

The story, setting, acting, cinematography, OST, score - the best! Beautifully made! I also enjoy the pace of the OTP romance - I think it is just right given their individual situation and given that usually, an episode is just about a day or two, more or less for the characters. 

I love how the OTP are gentle with each other. Well, now that LK has softened to CY. LK is like different man now. This is big change for him - from the prejudiced doctor who once can't stand staying in the hospice to an in love man who goes to work ar the hospice during his dayoff.

I really like CY's character, especially her attitude towards her brother. It's like she is veey graceful and gentle with everyone except for her brother and it I find refreshing for her to change her mood like that.

I agree that TH is annoying at first but halfway through the drama, I found his character to be someone that sticks with CY and genuinely cares for her, although in a sarcastic and burdensome way.

About this to be a healing drama. I like the setting that patients, along with their families are given the chance to heal emotionally and spiritually. Generally, all the deaths that we saw inspired us at different degrees and we may say that those who have left have left peacefully and those who were left behind were not left unloved. And while the OTP have both lost physical ability, they have gained something that is far more important. The other person is making up for each one's handicap.

I am very excited for the coming episodes, I don't want to overthinl about the coming conflict and how the show will end, but then I am with everyone who does not want this drama to end just yet.

There aren't too many people around me who appreciate this drama so I am really pleased that people in this thread do.

Apologies if this post turned out to be rather long.

• Like 7
  • Love 8

7 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

When he wipe her lips :mrgreen:

watch at 1:03... TH expression to LK was, epic!! hahahaha i could almost visualise him staring up close at them during the kiss scene at the beach which is.. creepy!! what am i thinking?!?! :crazy:

@rocky20192312 welcome! :D this is definitely one of those kdramas i dun mind rewatching.. i like heartwarming storylines.. this is about life, life story, and life encounters.. though patients appeared briefly but their stories taught us love and touched our hearts.. the writer does not focus just on OTP romance which is great too (bitter sweet cacao 75%) :rolleyes: instead of the usual young idols romance which is 101% cotton candy sweet and not suitable for oldies like me :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

watch at 1:03... TH expression to LK was, epic!! hahahaha i could almost visualise him staring up close at them during the kiss scene at the beach which is.. creepy!! what am i thinking?!?! :crazy:

what creepy about twin :joy: he probably felt it too :tounge_wink: ( I’m turning to a creepy by minutes :D) . 

welcome to the forum & thread  @rocky20192312 :)

• LOL 2