[Drama 2019-2020] Chocolate, ♥ 초콜릿♥

icyphoenix

Sweet like Chocolate :D   

65 members have voted

1. 1. When will the OTP's first kiss be?

• episodes 13 -14
    • episodes 15 - 16
  2. 2. What will the ending be for the OTP?

• They will have a fairytale happy ending - reunited in Greece after a brief separation.
    • They will have a simple wedding at the hospice.
    • Both will have their illnesses resurface , and they end up in heaven together .
    • Lee Kang dies , and Lee Jun will take care of Cha Young.
    • Cha Young dies , and Lee Kang remains single thereafter.
    • Both remain single.
    • Others ( you can tell us what you think in the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/2020 at 02:50 PM

I'm satisfied but I'm like... dissatisfied at the same time (because it's not next Friday!)

I loved the entire build up to the final moments of the episode, to the kiss- it was great that CY was able to tell her part of the story, finally, to LK. It was definitely necessary to clear up those misunderstandings and build up trust. I'm glad that LK decided to wipe clean all of their slates and just went for it- he knew that she was here and was important to him, not MS, not the whole mess with his family.

When CY was going into her story and as she labeled their meeting "a miracle", it brings me back to thinking about the Italian restaurant at which she had worked: "The First Miracle". 

Although CY's brother can be annoying sometimes, I think he uses his shopping spree to try and forget his mom and all of those bad thoughts. TH isn't a bad person, he sincerely cares for his sister and his mom who left them both. Through his shopping sprees, he's able to forget, even if it's just for a moment.

As far as to LJ and LK, Jun used to hate him as a kid because his mom said so but now that he's grown up and seen the evilness in the family, he knows that there's literally no reason to hate LK. On the contrary, LJ dislikes his mom (as her true self had appeared) and tells LK about the two people that can help take down his mom from the acting chairwoman position. The hospice has had the same effect on LJ as it did on LK, the same healing effect that it had on everyone who came and lived their final stages of life, as well as the stories that they and their families had brought with them.

From the scene of Director Kwon and his ex-wife, you can also tell that he's beginning to soften up and become more sympathetic toward her and her illness. Though he did yell at her a few episodes back, he knows deep inside that no one can bring back MS.

Everything in the storyline matures in its own ways and tells its own story, but eventually it heals you, teaches you, and reaches you in your heart. It grips at your heart, and then it makes you laugh or smile at what it gives you. The storyline is like life in a way, or in some ways, it tells you to cherish what you have around you or to be more cliché: live life to your fullest without regrets; don't let anything stop you.

For next episode, I'd be really curious about the change in character dynamic between LK and CY now that they're both in a relationship. I know it's going to be very sweet (LK in love is adorable, he's so giddy) but I know that LK will also find out that his mom was together in the collapsed building with CY. I don't think he'll blame her for it (what's CY got to do what a collapsed building that's due to collapsed?) But rather, he'll further sympathize with CY and cherish her even more because his mom had given her a miracle through a chocolate (originally for her son, LK) to live.

Really looking forward to Friday with excitement and joy! Can't wait to see these two get giddy at the hospice. :blush::heart:

• Like 6
  • Love 7

Just finished Ep. 14. I cry almost every darn episode:tears:, even the little moments makes me tear up. 

I hope LJ & LK will have some sense of closure. They were just two boys embroiled in their parents/family stupid bickering over the ownership of hospital. I love that LJ really wants to change for the better & I hope his parents will too. The scene of them as kids made me cry. I hope the hospice doesnt shut down. It would be so sad having to relocate all those patients & the memories spent there. All the nurses & chef & director have been so gracious & awesome to the patients they cared for.

CY 's bro is so funny, saying that LK & CY are so pure about love that they are like a monk & nun lol :lol:. It's so nice seeing LK smiling because of CY. The pink glove scene of him putting it against his cheeks is so cuuute. When CY told him the story about her 1st love it was so good, the closeup/camera paneling & music. *cheffs kiss* Everything starts become a narrating moment of memories/flash back for LK. The nuance & subtlety, so good! And the kiss---------->>>>>:wub:. They're so adorable. I wish them happiness until the very end. I feel like the story is going to end where they met again in Greece for the last ep? 

Only 2 more ep. left & I'm nervous??!! Judging from ep. 15, looks like more heartbreak & tears:tears:. I wonder how will LK react when CY tells him about his mother. I wonder if CY will meet her mom too, maybe not since she moved on & is tired of waiting. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

OMG I can't believe next week is the finale? WHAT, ugh! I feel like our OTP just got together.......i need more screen time!!

I think the preview was a bit misleading to me:

Spoiler

I don't think LK will blame CY after finding out that his mom sacrificed herself to save her. In the preview, we see him crying but I don't think it's for that? I feel like he's crying because CY left him too? After she found out his mom could have been alive if it weren't for her.

I have a feeling she will leave for Greece and that's where they will reunite. GOSH! Heartbreak after heartbreak. Why can't our OTP just have NO obstacles or anything in their way for the last two episodes....

Feel so bad for LK and LJ. I feel like their circumstance made them that way - they are both lonely and sad. When LJ asked his dad why did he an LK have to fight - he can't remember the reason, damn, that hit me hard. 

I really hated the storyline where they got Minseong involved, sigh. But I'm glad LK is able to set that aside - I'm happy CY had an opportunity to share her side to give a full picture and that they can both move past it.

Will CY get her taste back? I feel like that came in an episode and I don't know if it will be addressed before the finale?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

Next week is the finale! 

As i was watching the preview, i cant help but wonder what will happen to the newly minted couple. 

Although L.Kang said not to talk about MS and their past, the last preview brought up L.Kang's deppest sadness. His mother. 

My view on L.Kang & CY possible thoughts: 

MS was dumped because CY all along has feelings for L.Kang. MS died. 

L.Kang's mother gave the chocolate to CY for survivial. L.Kang's mother died.  

CY got to know the reason why L.Kang was a surgeon who could not operate. 

L.Kang might have thoughts of CY being related to every of his worse events. 

While CY might have thoughts of herself being the one who brought bad moments to him. 

One decided to leave for Greece, and the other never give chase. 

However, seems like the couple will reunite in Greece as shown in ep.1. 

I want to believe that L.Kang eventually got over his confused and torn state and realise being with CY is what he wants. To be happy. Just like in the past, there's his mother, uncle and puppy. 

:heart:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

14 minutes ago, m i s z CHEN said:

OMG I can't believe next week is the finale? WHAT, ugh! I feel like our OTP just got together.......i need more screen time!!

I think the preview was a bit misleading to me:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think LK will blame CY after finding out that his mom sacrificed herself to save her. In the preview, we see him crying but I don't think it's for that? I feel like he's crying because CY left him too? After she found out his mom could have been alive if it weren't for her.

I have a feeling she will leave for Greece and that's where they will reunite. GOSH! Heartbreak after heartbreak. Why can't our OTP just have NO obstacles or anything in their way for the last two episodes....

Feel so bad for LK and LJ. I feel like their circumstance made them that way - they are both lonely and sad. When LJ asked his dad why did he an LK have to fight - he can't remember the reason, damn, that hit me hard. 

I really hated the storyline where they got Minseong involved, sigh. But I'm glad LK is able to set that aside - I'm happy CY had an opportunity to share her side to give a full picture and that they can both move past it.

Will CY get her taste back? I feel like that came in an episode and I don't know if it will be addressed before the finale?

Tbh, I thought she got her taste back when she ate the food he made for her in ep 12. When it mentioned that she didnt in ep.14, I was taken aback. I wish she had her taste/sense back during that dinner scene at wando restaurant w/the two of them. It serves as a great writing/plot point for the story since food is an important aspect in both CY & LK's life & that confession scene was so good too. It sparked back the memories of having a real good meal in a while for CY when she was a kid & its special because LK cooked the meal for her. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kdrama_luv said:

Next week is the finale! 

As i was watching the preview, i cant help but wonder what will happen to the newly minted couple. 

Although L.Kang said not to talk about MS and their past, the last preview brought up L.Kang's deppest sadness. His mother. 

My view on L.Kang & CY possible thoughts: 

MS was dumped because CY all along has feelings for L.Kang. MS died. 

L.Kang's mother gave the chocolate to CY for survivial. L.Kang's mother died.  

CY got to know the reason why L.Kang was a surgeon who could not operate. 

L.Kang might have thoughts of CY being related to every of his worse events. 

While CY might have thoughts of herself being the one who brought bad moments to him. 

One decided to leave for Greece, and the other never give chase. 

However, seems like the couple will reunite in Greece as shown in ep.1. 

I want to believe that L.Kang eventually got over his confused and torn state and realise being with CY is what he wants. To be happy. Just like in the past, there's his mother, uncle and puppy. 

:heart:

I COMPLETELY forgot about the reason LK can't be a surgeon anymore - OMG so many loose ends. Will we have these all tied up in just two episodes??!

1 minute ago, greenwatch08 said:

Tbh, I thought she got her taste back when she ate the food he made for her in ep 12 so when it mentioned in ep. 14 that she didnt, I was taken aback. I wish  she had her taste/sense during that dinner back at wando restaurant w/the two of them because it serves as a great writing/plot point for the story since food is an important aspect in both CY & LK's life. 

I know right! I didn't think it would drag on for so long. LK asked for her MRI scans and things like that - but that was the end of it. I thought we would have a follow up or something.

• Like 3

Hi all!! First time posting here :)

I just started this drama on Wednesday because @Lawyerh kept knocking on my door to sell me boxes of Chocolate! I bought them obviously and gobbled all down, but she forgot to include boxes of tissues as a bonus, not for wiping my mouth but for my tears :P I am all caught up btw, that's how addictive Chocolate is.

Really love the drama. Although some might categorize this as a melodrama, I would not say this drama is a melo. It is very heartwarming and healing. Yes, lots of crying involved, but for me, the tears were because I was touched and moved, not because I felt sad. And yes there are so many deaths, but deaths are inevitable for everyone and very real in life. In fact, I think the drama presented deaths in a beautiful and meaningful way. Death should not be feared. I think it is wonderful when one can prepare for his/her leaving this world. So I really don't see the drama consisting of tragedies after tragedies although many said so. For me, this drama is more about life and relationships.

I won't go into the way how I love some of the details in the drama since many of you have expressed the same feelings I have. I do want to mention though that I love the board of messages for the patients who have left (I teared up again of course). I am glad for some of the subsequent deaths, we're only told that the patients have left peacefully, and not shown the scenes because I probably will not be able to handle my tears again. Anyway, just want to share how I think the drama will end since I voted for "Others" ~ they sure will have a happy ending, but not ending in Greece. A reunion will sure happen in Greece but I see them being back together in the hospice as the ending. Kang might make Jun the director of main hospital and he remains in the hospice because his tremor can never be healed (which is okay!). CY will continue to manage the kitchen based on her amazing knowledge of food, not having to rely entirely on her senses because she is that good. And while doing that, she continues to give encouragement and comfort for the patients. 

4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I found it so sexy when he took her call while Jun's mom was talking to him LMFAo! His wait for me, I'd be there in 2 hours (sighs dreamily) 

Yes, and the way he spoke to her, so soft and gentle :wub:

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

One thing I love so much is when LK tells CY that he'll continue to like her even if she doesnt & if she rejects him, it is okay/fine that she doesnt feel the same way. He didnt give her an ultimatum or pressure her/guilt trip her into liking him back like *MS*. I honestly think that LK is content/happy just having CY around by his side & vice versa.:wub:

I love these two so much. Just 2 more episodes to go, Chocolatiers! We should call this little fandom Chocolatiers! :rolleyes: I know it's a bit late but the discussions/posts/comments here has been so fun to read.

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 1

i’m watching ep14 with eng subs now.. and i seriously love Nurse Ha.. she is like a big sister to every men in that hospice vicinity :tounge_wink: and that guitar guy, 7yrs younger WHOA WHOA her charm! (apparently everyone changes everyone’s diapers in this kdrama :lol:) and i’m glad she clarified with alzheimers ahjumma about her and director kwon :smile: .. still, i dun really want director kwon back with alzheimers ahjumma haha dun ask me why, i just.. :wink:

in the ep15 preview, CY was hugging her bro right? i wonder what happened.. their mom?

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Re: Next week's preview

Spoiler

I don't really believe that Kang would actually stay away from CY even when he finds out that both mum and CY were together in that terrible shopping mall collapse. That's highly unlikely. It would be ridiculous and illogical... it's worse than weekend makjang. I would lose all respect for the drama if it went down that route.

What it would do for him though is give him some much needed closure. He has never been able to mourn for her properly. It was quite reprehensible on the part of the grandmother to take even that away from the lad. For the first time in his life he will know that his mother was thinking of him right up to her dying breath while helping someone. He may feel a pang or two of guilt that she was there getting chocolate for him but she remains undiminished in his eyes. He was not abandoned.

What could happen, however is CY feeling guilty and thinking that she prevented mum from staying alive long enough to be rescued. Whether that is the catalyst for her running back to Greece remains to be seen. I would hope not.  

As for tying up all loose ends in 2 episodes... I don't think the show really needs to tie up every single thing or resolve every issue. In the context of what we've seen it really doesn't matter if CY never regain use of her olfactory senses... why... because her cooking is better than ever. What's more love has finally found her. The same applies to Kang. He may never get back his ability to do surgery. Is that so tragic because losing that ability took him out of his comfort zone, put him in the hospice and transformed him. Back then he only saw what he had lost. Now he understands what he has gained.

This is a show where people are dying and they all end up dead. There are no last minute rescues. So the show doesn't do dramatic escapes from life's harshest reality. Suffering is inevitable in this fallen world where flawed humans roam. But suffering doesn't have to be the end. It can be the means for transformation and other types of emotional healing. It can make or break a person. How we respond to hard times will determine which way it goes.

Cha-Young's Confession

I've been giving CY's confession at the end of 14 a bit of thought. Yes, I've watched it more than once. Like everybody else. ;) 

We know that two events were pivotal in shaping her life. The first was meeting Kang in Wando as a child. The other was sharing space with Kang's mum under a pile of debris at death's door. The first was about falling in love and finding her calling or vocation in life. The second is related to vocation but also what was driving that almost reckless, unworldly compassion for others. A dying woman had given her a reason to stay alive so her life is now imbued with a special purpose to help others. How can she do this? Well, she cooks and serves others with food. This is why despite her physical handicap, her cooking is better than ever.

So CY tells Kang her story at the beach. It's a love story. For him he may have fallen for her only recently. But for her she has been in love with him since the first day they met. Her story tells him that she has always loved him. There was never anyone else. The reason why she was at a particular place at a particular time was because of him. MS was at best a conduit, interruption or a test of her ability to remain steadfast. But no, it was no temptation to divert course. As far she was concerned Lee Kang was the love of her life and would always be. Moreover, that would be despite the fact that he despised her at some point and couldn't wait to see the back of her.

I was interested in why Kang recalled those specific moments as he walked on alone. Those were moments in which they met but he failed to recognize her. She had remembered him but he had failed to see the truth of who she was. Okay... it was all very melodramatic but that's the way it was. But they were key moments where he was there to help her and support her. In spite of his anger towards her, he always had an inevitable connection to her. 

I think he sensed it too. That she was someone he couldn't avoid whatever he did. That there was an invisible hand, as it were, guiding them together. It's a K drama after all. ;) But now he could finally connect the dots. They were always meant to be together even when he resented her presence... even when he couldn't recognize her as the hungry girl who didn't come back for the chocolate.

The words he said to her in the kitchen... that it was her choice whether or not she would reciprocate his liking of her. To her, I imagine, it's a categorical misnomer. Choice doesn't feature into it. She's never had a choice with regards to loving him. She always gravitated towards him even when he hated her. Even when she chose to run across the globe away from him, he came looking for her to drag her back. And then when she was in the accident seriously injured, he saves her life at great cost to himself.

In light of this, his voice-over makes sense. "Like it's always just been the two of us." Well, it's true. Kinda. It's always just been the two of them. For him... a lot of it was accompanied by kicking and screaming but he got there in the end.

;)

So yeah the kiss at the end comes from a realisation that he's missed the boat more than once. But he is really one of the lucky ones because he has the chance to make things right. (He owes her big IMO :P ) The hug is symbolic too... I love it... because it sure looks like he's never ever going to let her go again.

:wub:

I should also add that he thought at the beginning of the episode that he was the one waiting for her answer but in reality she was the one waiting for him the entire time. I imagine that’s why he ran towards her... they had wasted enough time and he was making up for lost time.

• Like 9
  • Love 11
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

This is a show where people are dying and they all end up dead. There are no last minute rescues. So the show doesn't do dramatic escapes from life's harshest reality. Suffering is inevitable in this fallen world where flawed humans roam. But suffering doesn't have to be the end. It can be the means for transformation and other types of emotional healing. It can make or break a person. How we respond to hard times will determine which way it goes.

So CY tells Kang her story at the beach. It's a love story. For him he may have fallen for her only recently. But for her she has been in love with him since the first day they met. Her story tells him that she has always loved him. There was never anyone else. 

I was interested in why Kang recalled those specific moments as he walked on alone. Those were moments in which they met but he failed to recognize her. She had remembered him but he had failed to see the truth of who she was. Okay... it was all very melodramatic but that's the way it was. But they were key moments where he was there to help her and support her. In spite of his anger towards her, he always had an inevitable connection to her. 

I think he sensed it too. That she was someone he couldn't avoid whatever he did. That there was an invisible hand, as it were, guiding them together. It's a K drama after all. ;) But now he could finally connect the dots. They were always meant to be together even when he resented her presence... even when he couldn't recognize her as the hungry girl who didn't come back for the chocolate.

The words he said to her in the kitchen... that it was her choice whether or not she would reciprocate his liking of her. To her, I imagine, it's a categorical misnomer. Choice doesn't feature into it. She's never had a choice with regards to loving him. She always gravitated towards him even when he hated her. Even when she chose to run across the globe away from him, he came looking for her to drag her back. And then when she was in the accident seriously injured, he saves her life at great cost to himself.

In light of this, his voice-over makes sense. "Like it's always just been the two of us." Well, it's true. Kinda. It's always just been the two of them. For him... a lot of it was accompanied by kicking and screaming but he got there in the end.

;)

So yeah the kiss at the end comes from a realisation that he's missed the boat more than once. But he is really one of the lucky ones because he has the chance to make things right. (He owes her big IMO :P ) The hug is symbolic too... I love it... because it sure looks like he's never ever going to let her go again.

:wub:

Ooh. Pointing all of those points in your post because I wanted to respond to all of these things! You write great posts and analysis as always.

As you mentioned that this show is about people dying, it's also about them living their last walks of life, with some even regretting not doing something that they could have done while they were "out there". Not everyone was as lucky as HJ to get a second chance at life (or so we know). Like grandpa, grandma, Michael, Ye-sol's mom, Ji-yong- none of them got second chances to do what they wanted.

Yes! Kang only fell in love with Cha-young as he realized that she was the person that he thought she was. Chayoung was loyal, kind, and an overall generous soul to everyone she came across. Her pureness also seemed to have made everyone happy around her and the carefree personality is what Kang had liked as well. For her though, Kang had always been Peter Pan who cooked her a meal when she was most desperate/hungry and promised her chocolate shasha as a treat. In some ways, Kang was the first person to make butterflies in her stomach go crazy. You're right that choice doesn't factor in it. She was able to forget about Kang when he didn't come back from Libya, assumed dead. But when Kang came back as Minseong and herself got together, all of those feelings that she had forcefully subsided had returned like a hard wave. Even when Kang disliked her for more than 6 episodes and had wanted her to go back to Greece multiple times, she stood by strong so you're absolutely right, there's no choice factor involved. 

Like I had said earlier, I was very glad to hear Kang say that too. To forget about Minseong, his past, her past; like nothing ever mattered- to begin a new relationship without any obstacles, to finally be true to themselves. 

Ugh, I felt like the hug was so good. It was the right portrayal of "I'm never letting you go again" type of ordeal. The way that he hugged her wasn't just a simply "I love you", but a desperate one to make sure that the moment was real and to keep them together. It was the cutest thing- I'm okay with them kissing some more (honestly...). And Kang being in love and searching for Chayoung is also cute as heck. 

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned how Chayoung called Kang after trying to find her mom in Boryeong. I don't think Chayoung's only intention was to get Kang there to eat clams with her, I think it was because she knows that she can cheer up a bit with Kang there and that he'll be around to listen to her talk, whenever. At least Chayoung got closure about her mother.

I'm honestly not sure if Kang is going to blame her at all for what happened to his mom. His mom wasn't going to survive regardless (assuming) but he might believe that their life is connected or they must be super lucky to be together. I'm quite sure that Chayoung will find out that she is the reason that Kang can no longer operate. If this is going to be a open relationship, then Kang may tell her but she's not the type not to find out to the last detail if Kang's well-being is involved.

And I find that once she finds out, she may feel bad and run away to Greece. But I feel that ultimately, the storyline will be brought back to Korea and the hospice!

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

Going back to Kang finding out about CY being there at the same time with his mom; I agree that it will bring him closure. When it happened, it was so sudden and he never had closure - he never knew if his mom was alone or what the circumstances are. Maybe with CY sharing her story and him connecting the dots, he will find closure knowing that his mom was there with CY's presence and close the chapter.

• Like 11

There were some subtle scenes that also stood out for me in this drama. I LOVE the way Kang ignored his aunt when she was yammering  like Charlie Brown's teacher of her plans to close the hospice center. She's talking and he answers his phone as if she wasn't there---I loved it.  It took all her perceived power away.

I could also appreciate the dilemma Joon is in, whether to tell his father the truth or not to tell him. His father truly loved his grandfather--not knowing he's not his real son; however, there is a part of me that thinks he knows the truth which would explain his hatred towards his own brother.  His father is so arrogant that I think the truth out in the open could help humble him.  Joon's mother is an opportunist with no real love other than how she can exploit the next situation or person to benefit her. She's only ever seen her son and husband as a means to an end---she become chairwoman. She could have pushed for grandmother to name her husband or her son, but she pushed for herself.

My heart broke for Joon in the flashback after his mother caned him for missing two questions on the test. That type of punishment doesn't foster love...I don't see how it can. It's one thing if he was stealing, cheating, fighting, etc.--habits that could land him in jail one day, but it was missing two questions on a test. Well at least we know he's good at heart and cares for his cousin.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, xprosperity said:

Like I had said earlier, I was very glad to hear Kang say that too. To forget about Minseong, his past, her past; like nothing ever mattered- to begin a new relationship without any obstacles, to finally be true to themselves. 

And I think whatever transpires in the next episode will be a test of whether he/she puts money where their mouth is. To leave the past behind doesn't just mean the mistakes he made or the diversions like MS. If they are truly committed to this relationship they will have to make some real choices about what points of contention they can or can't ignore. CY knows that all roads lead back to Kang and Kang knows that all roads lead back to CY so then it's a matter of putting all the cards on the table where expectations are concerned. A relationship cannot subsist on emotional highs alone.

The mother's death doesn't have to be the cause of separation at all. It was a tragedy but it was Mum's choice to give CY the chocolates and when she did it was as if she passed on the baton. I believe Kang will take a positive spin on the matter. And honestly CY has carried her mantle very well. Not only has she become a whizz in the kitchen, she's been able to use her skills to bring happiness to all kinds of people.

1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

There were some subtle scenes that also stood out for me in this drama. I LOVE the way Kang ignored his aunt when she was yammering  like Charlie Brown's teacher of her plans to close the hospice center. She's talking and he answers his phone as if she wasn't there---I loved it.  It took all her perceived power away.

Yes, that was good. ;) What I especially enjoyed that scene was the way he prioritized CY over auntie's  weight throwing. He's a new man with new interests. He doesn't care for playing mind games with manipulative relatives any longer. If auntie can't give him what he wants, he'll find another way to get it. Why waste time throwing around words that lead to nothing? He has got better things to do with his time. ;)

Previously he indulged them because they were the only family he had and they could potentially give him what he wanted if he played their game. But he's lost interest in the game and he is refocusing his energy elsewhere.

I suspect he much prefers the man he is when he's in love than the fray of family politics any day.

;)

But I am slightly worried about happy Kang and Kang in love. He's eating much more than he used to. And we know who's going to get blamed for that...

(I speak from experience)

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

But I am slightly worried about happy Kang and Kang in love. He's eating much more than he used to. And we know who's going to get blamed for that...

(I speak from experience)

LK can blame it on the future bro in law (TH).. :naughty:  *points finger*

the monk and nun.. i literally laughed out loud with ep14.. actually i really love this weekend episodes.. maybe cos there is no death scenes (which is heavy on the heart).. :weary:

and LJ’s witchy mom.. her fashion sense after being elected as the acting chairwoman.. is so gothic :unamused: is she going to suddenly do a Lady Gaga mv or what..

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

I just found out today that there is a soompi thread for 'Chocolate'. I looked for it when the drama started, but I cannot find it, but now when the drama is going to end next week..... :unsure::tears:
Anyway, I'm really happy for be able to read all of your thoughts. 

Please bare with me because this post will be quite long. 

I am HJW's fans btw, but I didn't know YKS before, but he's so amazing and his chemistry with HJW is the best. I know that it's really rare for HJW to act with the same male co-star except for KJW and ICJ but I really hope that HJW and YKS can work together again maybe in a sweet melodrama or even a comedy drama or movie because they have a sizzling chemistry and they both really like to laugh, i mean a lotttt...:lol:

I think HJW should do more post production dramas like this and Damo. I found that the acting, the scripts, the consistency of characters and their developments, the editing and some other things about the production of this drama are much better and really beautiful. I watch almost all HJW's drama and movie except the old ones that cannot be found in the internet and for me this drama is very beautiful. I thought I was watching a movie every Friday and Saturday in this past 7 weeks. 

I love every episode of Chocolate but I really hope Kang will never put the blame on Cha Young whatever the problem is. Hopefully, his tears in the ep 15 preview is just because he cried after hearing that his mom remembered him even when she's dying. Because knowing Cha Young's character, she will definitely blame herself if she knows that the ahjumma was Kang's mother although there was no reason to blame herself since Kang's mother died because of the buildings collapse on her, not because of starving after giving Cha Young the chocolate :tears:

I really like the consistency of Cha Young's character. She's maybe the silent type, never talk back (unless some injustice happened like the one with Kang's aunt), quite passive in a relationship and not defensive even people keep misunderstood or blamed her. She's just behaving differently and cutely funny with her brother. People may think that she's weak, but for me she's actually very strong. She's very patient and even though she had so many chances to tell Kang about herself, she refused to do that. She believes that people will eventually know the truth. She didn't push it and just go with the flow. When she lost her senses of taste and smell, she just accept it and didn't allow Tae Hyun to tell everyone about her problem. She didn't even tell anyone how did she get the injury and who caused it. I believe, until now no one actually knows how did she get the injury. 

Anyway, thank you so much @icyphoenix for creating this thread. I know that this drama is airing in a non-free cable tv network, but I feel a bit sad because of the rating compared to another very popular drama aired in the same time in a another cable tv. Is it because of the genre of the drama? Or is it because of the popularity of the stars? Or is it the other drama is really good and much better than this beautiful drama? I feel a bit sad for my queen, but I will just accept it because I believe everyone who worked hard for this drama had tried their best. For me, this drama is one of the best HJW's drama :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, ben1090 said:

Anyway, thank you so much @icyphoenix for creating this thread. I know that this drama is airing in a non-free cable tv network, but I feel a bit sad because of the rating compared to another very popular drama aired in the same time in a another cable tv. Is it because of the genre of the drama? Or is it because of the popularity of the stars? Or is it the other drama is really good and much better than this beautiful drama? I feel a bit sad for my queen, but I will just accept it because I believe everyone who worked hard for this drama had tried their best. For me, this drama is one of the best HJW's drama :wub:

Welcome to this thread @ben1090, better late than never ;)
This is my first time post on Soompi, I've been a silent reader until now and I felt like I should try to make you feel less sad. 

I am with you on the rating thing, this drama is like a fine wine, not anyone has skills to recognize an excelent wine, it's not meant for everybody, only for those special people that are capable to really apreciate its value, a few can and I am happy to be among them :blush:
I personally learned a lot of things from this drama, it made me see life from a different perspective and I really believe that this will help me have a happier life. For me a good drama is that drama you can learn something from and Chocolate is doing a perfect job, at least for me :wub:  

So enjoy the show, regardless of its ratings, you are one of that 1% of special people :rolleyes:

PS: I read some mean comments about HJW and YKS not having chemistry at all, I think they should have their eyesight checked, I can see the over the top chemistry from the moon :love:

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

So, I have not watched episode 14 yet, but from the thread, I get the gist of what is to come.

A few thoughts...

LJ has been raised to be "above" everyone, but somehow it was always his parents going low that got them or kept them where they were. How awful it must be to be raised with a silver spoon and have people around you with such awful expectations. He has lived his life doing what his parents wanted him to do. Competing when he wanted to get along. I got the feeling that is why he never went after his first love, he knew his parents wouldn't approve of her so he was forced to watch her from the sideline. And how long had his mother sat on that little secret, waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it against the grandmother? Yes, someone like Uncle's niece is the perfect person for him because any woman with him will have to be able to stand up to his mother. I hope he continues to work with and not against LK, and I hope he finds little ways to be happy.

LK and CY.

They have such a sweet and steady story. From the moment they met, they fell in love. That is rare. That deserves to be protected. Little CY was so sweet, honest and straight forward. LK was powerless against her. Here he had to have been about 10 and he immediately went to the kitchen to prepare the chocolate shasha for her. He even waited such a long time for her. Here, because her mother was using her to make money, she missed her treat. She did return the first chance she got, but LK's mother foolishly thought he would be better off with his father's family because they had money. I find it interesting that they both missed out on seeing each other again because of their mother's decisions.

As far as Min Seong, CY was honest with him from the moment they met. She didn't hesitate to tell him of her first love. He knew from the onset, before his Love Actually confession, that her heart was already taken. Maybe he naively assumed that she would quickly get over her childhood love, but clearly that didn't happen. It may have looked bad on the outside, but she was honest enough to leave him and even left the country when she discovered his best friend was the love of her life. I never felt LOVE or even likeness between CY and MS. It always seemed like they were good friends. He always knew she didn't love him and he allowed his pride to separate her and LK until he died. Not to speak ill of the dead, but that was really selfish.

Despite that, LK and CY had so many meet-cute's and run-ins with each other, even LK took notice. LK, who had been operating on auto-pilot, working really long hours. Performing surgery after surgery. CY shook up his life enough to the point that it brought what was actually important to him into perspective. When he first arrived at the hospice, he was resentful about it. He was angry at the possibility he may never get past his handicap and be the surgeon he once was, and he looked down on the hospice in general. Yet, by the time he was running through the woods looking for CY when she fell and hurt herself while with the ahjumma picking raspberries, his life began to take on a different perspective. I like how he starts thinking about his mother more. He also begins to look at himself and how little by little, he is changing.

CY's character is non-threatening and honest. This is why she could get along with both LK and LJ. Even though her relationship with LK is rocky, that stemmed from the complications of her being MS's ex who left him before he got sick. However, even LJ picked up on something between them during his first visit to the hospice. He became instantly curious about how they met and knew one another. I like how the writer uses her overbearing brother to bride the gap. The brother, even though he is a leech, he genuinely wants his sister to find happiness. He knows she has been through hell and he wants her to have someone she can depend on because he knows it is not him. For the two of them to have been separated when CY was young, separated after she went through such a terrible tragedy, and yet her brother still knows the story of her first love, really puts how deep her feelings for LK really are into perspective. It is incredibly special to love someone for that much of your life.

I want them to have ALL of the sweet moments. There is a lot of lost time to make up for. Can we bet on whether we will get a baby by the end of the drama? Okay, that may be wishful thinking, but I couldn't help it. :blush:

• Like 11
  • Love 2