[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

CSH and SHK eyes.

Ex- mil said: i always felt uncomfortable about the look in her eyes.

That look in her eyes always bothers me.

I hated her for that.

PBG:        Now i know why SHK is the queen of melo. Its all in her eyes.

and 

Me:  when you Jh saw Sh through your lens  and you Sh when you saw Jh dancing with the little girl, i know  a beautiful love story is about to begin.

It seems its not only us having post-boyfriend syndrome but also  SHK with all her IG posts.:)

• Like 12
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Cheryl295 said:

I lost hope that SHK will also appear in a post drama press junket like PBG. She is likely avoiding being asked personal questions about her married life instead of Encounter.

Although I still hope she will have post drama magazine photoshoot at least in a magazine interview, questions can be agreed beforehand. 

Hmmm... with this kind of questions, i doubt that SHK ever wanted a post drama interview.. although a magazine spreads still a possibility

yIurvu0.jpg

The journalists didn't bother to mention about this drama successfully received by international fans, sold to 100 countries, commercially success, the poets and books in drama becoming bestseller, when not many people know about these novels or poetry book before. And Cuba becoming one of the most searched destination. 

Nope, they just want to pick on this drama. 

So proud that PBG handle it with manners and humble. 

But let's just focus on the happiness this drama brought us.. 

The love began here..

YwcjzZA.jpg

And completed here..

y4OjxrR.jpg

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2

And media kept asking Bo Gum about Song Joong Ki's reaction. :sweatingbullets:  It's understandable why Kyo would not want to be interviewed. Some media people are more into creating intrigues. 

About the ratings, its really quite good. It started and ended with almost the same ratings at 8.6. If we look one by one on the Genres of other cable drama ahead of Encounter, all of it are of Different Genre. No pure Romance Melodrama. Encounter is the top cable drama on its classification. 

Reruns are on top of its timeslots also. 

Really hoping Encounter will reap Awards soon to complete its successful run. 

Actress in PH who has 10.8M  twitter followers is now a certified JinSoo shipper lol. She thinks she and her husband are like KJH and CSH. :lol:

• Like 12
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

@rosiepeonie188 *sigh* typical media trying to nitpick everything. For its genre and timeslot, Encounter is a highly successful drama.

I can go on and on about how I feel about the negative press questions that were thrown at PBG but this is not the avenue for that. 

Spoiler

I wouldn’t be surprised if SHK won’t do interviews for Encounter. We all know what the media is really interested in when it comes to her

ETA: does anybody know if there’s a scheduled interview with the writer and director? I would love to hear their take as well

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cheryl295 said:

About the ratings, its really quite good. It started and ended with almost the same ratings at 8.6. If we look one by one on the Genres of other cable drama ahead of Encounter, all of it are of Different Genre. No pure Romance Melodrama. Encounter is the top cable drama on its classification. 

Reruns are on top of its timeslots also. 

Really hoping Encounter will reap rewards soon to complete its successful run. 

As I have posted before the reporters' question of being disappointed with the ratings was made in reference to his 2 previous hit dramas. The drama had successful or very high ratings and articles have referred to it as a "hit" drama or a "critical success". 

I did a bit of research regarding tvN Wednesday-Thursday Dramas so that we can better appreciate what Encounter has achieved.

Encounter holds the record as the tvN Wednesday-Thursday Drama with the 1) Highest Average Ratings for All the Episodes and 2) the tvN Wednesday-Thursday drama with the highest episode rating for the Seoul Metropolitan Area: 12.868% (Source: Wikipedia)

Spoiler

tvN Wednesday-Thursday Dramas Average Ratings for All the Episodes

(Nationwide and Seoul Metropolitan)

tvN Wednesday-Thursday Drama with the Highest Average Ratings: Encounter

Source: Wikipedia

Drama

Nationwide

Seoul Metropolitan

Prison Playbook

(2017-2018, 9:10 pm)

7.559%

8.386%

Mother

(2018, 9:10 pm)

3.460%

3.707%

My Mister

(2018, 9:10 pm)

4.982%

5.612%

Avengers Social Club

(2018, 9:30 pm)

5.16%

5.59%

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim

7.446%

8.518%

Familiar Wife

6.816%

7.984%

The Smile Has Left Your Eyes

2.876%

3.409%

Encounter

(2018-2019, 9:30 pm)

8.475%

10.704%

Prison Playbook holds the record as the tvN Wednesday-Thursday drama with the highest episode rating (nationwide): 11.195% ; Encounter: 10.329%

Encounter holds the record as the tvN Wednesday-Thursday drama with the highest episode rating for the Seoul Metropolitan area: 12.868% ; Prison Playbook: 12.299%

Feel free to disseminate the information in other sites. Just please give proper credit. Thank you.

Don't forget that the drama holds the record as fastest cable TV drama to attain a double-digit rating. While it's true that it was not able to sustain it, the drama was able to maintain very high cable TV ratings.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 6

21 hours ago, gumtaek said:

Encounter Drama Script Books

It would be soooo useful if there was an English translation of the screenplay.  (Wonder if these publications are of the actual shooting script.) 

Due to the glaring scarcity of skinship between eps 12-15,  there are certain scenes where I would like to know if there were originally directions for more ..er.. intimate touches... #forscience of course.

I would love any deleted scenes to be included in the Director’s Cut, although I doubt there are many due to the tight filming schedule.

Apologies for lowering the tone a tad, but I’m a byeontae ahjumma.  Mianhamnida.

• Like 3
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

This is why Encounter's OST. can not be sung by PBG. (During Encounter /Boyfriend, there was a rumor to potentially have)

Acting as drunken scene in Encounter/ Boyfriend:

A News Reporter asked whether drinking alcohol in real life should be done to help this acting (Smoking also)

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

I'm very happy that this thread is very much lively although the drama already ended n to read all your comments remind me of how this drama made me want to joined this forum :lol: n I never regret it even a bit..

This drama itself is a master piece on its own,first it against all of odds with its genre;classic melodrama, second PBG n SHK tandem, which is for me will be one of legendary couple,third beautiful cinematography..me as viewer what else can I ask?I'm being pampered a lot by Encounter :wub: (except for lovey dovey scene,I want more)

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

The journalists didn't bother to mention about this drama successfully received by international fans, sold to 100 countries, commercially success, the poets and books in drama becoming bestseller, when not many people know about these novels or poetry book before. And Cuba becoming one of the most searched destination. 

Nope, they just want to pick on this drama. 

So proud that PBG handle it with manners and humble. 

But let's just focus on the happiness this drama brought us..

Spoiler

Koreans. :lol: I bet they’ll start owning Kyo back when she gains success in other countries. What I hate is how SJK’s shadow is looming over this drama ever since the casting was announced. (I love sjk but i just hate whats happening atm) They totally overlooked the quality of the drama just because of her marital status. What they dont know is, other people especially actors and actresses in other countries who are aware of whats going on are probably laughing at their reaction! Because it is laughable! 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kyo will choose to make a movie in China again. They seem to love and understand her more there. 

Like I said. Koreans :lol:

Kyo’s fans know this. She always goes back to her cave and lays low after she makes a drama. Thats just how she is. So we’re not surprised that she’s not doing interviews post drama. She surprises us every now and then though.

About the ratings, Im not too concerned about it seeing as the ratings are only based in SK. For one, IT IS HIGH. 

This is the last time I’ll comment on this. I’d rather enjoy how JinSoo made my holiday season warm and happy :heart:

• Like 13
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2

I want to see the deleted scenes too.

Especially their selfies and the scene where Jh kissed Sh's forehead , their kissing scene at year end masquerade. Saw this at the bts.

As i rewatched ep 14  Jh bought the book  The end of the world, girlfriend,  for Sh. And now after the drama, Sh has the time to read. (I mean, Shk, in her ig story) :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

The thing in Korea is that it has always been the actors who take part in lots of interview after a successful drama and not the actresses, especially for SHK, she's always been known to take a back seat and stay out of the limelight as much as she can. Why would she want to throw herself to the animals out there waiting to hunt her down for all the wrong reasons, so I don't blame her. 

It's enough that both SHK and PBG have put Boyfriend on the international map and lots of fans are loving it and embracing the beautiful love story of KJH and CSH. Moreover, the drama looks set to cook up a storm even more, with the US and some Europe countries waiting to screen it. Could the media please look at the BIG picture and not pick on irrelevant stuff....yawning, SJK's reaction etc

When a drama such as Boyfriend is hugely a world-wide success, those are terribly insignificant and redundant stuff..... really. The question the media should ask is "How did Boyfriend do it against all odds"?! It's a wonderful achievement that one should celebrate, especially so by the Koreans.

I'm glad that Kyo is reading the book that KJH gave to CSH - at least she's still in Boyfriend mode, just like PBG tweeting about the drama and speaking to the media about his thoughts on the drama. SHK is cheering Boyfriend on in her own quiet way.

Spoiler

@dukesa1122

I agree with you, chingu, about SJK's shadow looming over Boyfriend from the start, when it should not have been so. Marriage is not caging up a woman's freedom to pursue her acting passion and some irrational fans failed to see that .

They made things worse by kicking up a ruckus over the kissing scenes as if a married actress can't partake in those scenes anymore! Would they bow down in shame later if the husband has a passionate scene with his costar, I wonder? 

What excuse would they be making for the husband then? That he needed to go according to script? LOL

As a result, Boyfriend's intimate scenes could have been scaled down significantly after ep 11, where some of us were floating in heaven watching the hot balcony kiss from afar, the Knets were waiting to sink their teeth into the screen couple and bite off their chemistry presumably..... to the extent that it could have affected the love progress of the couple because they were not as passionate in Korea as in Cuba.

Moreover, not only were the intimate scenes scaled down, worse, it was replaced with heavy heartbroken scenes that had us bawling our eyes out and messing up our lives....as we become the victims of the melancholic breakup and tears of KJH and CSH.

The filming was right down to 2 days before the finale so what happened? Did they need to work last minute due to deletion of too many scenes in Cuba.....just imagine if they had intended to dedicate 1 entire episode time to show the sweet love of KJH and CSH and their intimate bed scene in Cuba (why else did KJH look so darn sleepy...) and they deleted that....it means they had to film enough to fill an entire episode to replace that!

I want an explanation from the PD!

Yes, I wish the entire drama was shot in Cuba! At least the people are warm and sane and welcome passionate kisses and hugs when they see one....just look at the security guard in Cuba - he closed an eye after checking out the situation..that's the spirit, man! 

Btw, was there a compilation of all the books and poems shown in the drama? Sorry, I got too worked up about the should haves of our couple that I can't think straight......and why didn't they put those 2 kids to good use to show that there was a bed scene after all.....

Darn.

• Like 8
  • Love 7
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jl08 said:

Hide contents

The filming was right down to 2 days before the finale so what happened? Did they need to work last minute due to deletion of too many scenes in Cuba.....

the filming schedule was very tight so yeah, at first I thought maybe they made it as sad ending but due to heavy demands they changed to happy ending so that's why the final filming was 1 day before the eps aired.. but I don't think its the case since they already aired in tight schedule since the party kiss (when some picture of SHK PBG in subway after party leaked), so maybe your prediction is correct. I hope the director nim could kindly show us the deleted scenes.

• Like 8
  • Love 1