[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

OMG. Coming from a TONY AWARD WINNER Broadway legend, that says a lot! Who cannot help but be bewitched by this drama? No one, no one I tell you! Well except for the other ones, ykwim :lol:

@jl08 @dukesa1122 you girls took the words right out of my mouth! Excellent points ^_^

Oh, and will it air in a US network? Or is it only thru Viki? I think it’s high time

a Kdrama becomes big in the US!!

• Like 6
  • Love 7

13 hours ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

Dear @bebebisous33 I want to take a moment to properly appreciate all of your analysis. Sorry, i haven't got time to really respond, but now, i read ALL of your analysis together. Copied all of your insights in my notes, and man! i'm so blown away!! How you can drew lines between fairy tales and Encounter is amazed me. Put and read every analysis together is like reading long essay (or maybe even a thesis?) about understanding fairy tales compared to modern drama.

Whoa, i feel like im in your classroom, listening to every explanation diligently. How can i got so lucky? I'm so glad that Encounter brought me here.

I can't move on, and i probably won't, i'm still hungry for insights and analysis.. Even tho i don't read hangul, I bought 2 books KJH read, and i saw SHK IG story that she read Girlfriend, The end of the world.. I know, im being greedy, but maybe, anyone could give their thoughts about all the books/poets compared to Encounter?

Once again thank you @bebebisous33 hopefully you don't get tired of giving your thoughts and analysis :heart:

cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532How can I get ever tired after receiving such a compliment? cute-rabbit-emoticon-10.gif?1301940529 It really made me really happy because this is the best reward for a teacher. I even mentioned it to my colleague and she even agreed that I had achieved something: making people want to read The Little Prince means that the teacher has succeeded.  

The teachers' daily fate is usually more stressful and less rewarding, quite the opposite; the students and their parents complain a lot, the government is asking more from the teachers. If their children have bad grades, then the teacher is the responsible one in the parents' eyes. We (teachers in Europe) seldom get compliments, rather harsh critics (like lazy, easy job, aso). Don't get me wrong: I still love my job.

Like I had mentioned it before, as long as people reply and encourage me, I won't stop. Furthermore, I like analyzing and writing hence I don't feel burdened.

@dahae2006 @lolipop86gorgeous Thanks a lot for the kind words and encouragement.crazy monkey

The next topic will be "CSH's eyes" and this was brought up by @roshzanna

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 8

There’s a lovely, thoughtful review of the last few episodes of Encounter on Tumblr: 

http://tinytrashqueen.tumblr.com/post/182405609516/boyfriend-13-16

What I like most in the review is this quote -

This show was about two people falling in love, and it was also about family, and women in positions of power, and dealing with traumas. But most importantly, it was about a woman learning that she deserves the love of her life. It was such an important message that Soo Hyun learned it twice. 

c554b7e3-885b-4bc7-9abb-cc2be8567935.jpe

6YhkdMy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 9
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

This explains why the famous Roman senator Cicero (1. Century BC) wrote once: "The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter". From ancient times, people could notice the importance of the eyes. In French and in English, we have the saying too that eyes are the mirror of the soul. Why?

Thanks a million again. I am totally blown away by your analysis. So wonderful and i gain knowledge too.

Teacher @bebebisous33, is that why in class, if the eyes of a teacher and students meet, shows they understand the teacher. Oppositely, if a teacher calls a student n ask, if the student looking away means they are avoiding the teacher n perhaps not understand n no clue of what been taught in class? Just wondering...

11 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Like I had mentioned it before, as long as people reply and encourage me, I won't stop.

Please, do not stop. Me, I want more.  Hmm I think, on behalf of other chingus here,

We wants more. More, more and more.

Please and Thank you and I really appreciate your time taken, your analysis and more important your in-depth knowledge and your wisdom.

You are my sifu. @ indeed my true teacher, deep from the bottom of my heart.:love:  Love you, teacher !

From your explanation, CSH did a wonderful and excellent job, n if only  i can tell SHK, that she did an excellent job in acting and not forget the director. It makes, what i feel for this drama, more and more in love.:love::heart: makes me think that this drama is so wonderful and breathtaking spectacular indeed.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

@avondale16  Thanks a lot for the encouragement and compliment. red crab

I like your parallel with the relationship between teacher and students. Yes, it is really important that the teacher and the student's eyes meet because that way, a good relationship can be developed and nurtured. A teacher should never hide behind his desk and books, just like the students. This explains why the teacher's eyes are important as they reveal a lot how they perceive their students. It is important for the students despite their grades to feel acknowledged and accepted. A good balance between reward and critic/yelling is required and it is not simple. But you know, there is another reason why I am spending time here. Since I am not teaching French for high school students nowadays, only History bilingual (French), I am not able to teach French literature which I am missing a lot. For example, the idea of the mirror and the eyes are not my idea. I was inspired by Sartre from his work "Le huis-clos" (No exit). Jean-Paul Sartre was a French philosopher: he is the author of the existentialism. And I applied his ideas in Encounter... however, I had to analyzed it myself.

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

@bebebisous33

I had to respond right away, and took a break from work to reply to this. I think out of all the analyses you posted, this is my favorite. I have always been a fan of how a person's eyes can describe the way they are feeling. And it amazes me that the people behind this drama actually gave importance on how they act through their eyes. This is a detail that is mostly overlooked because either it is hard to act through the eyes or it's just overlooked. The comment from Chairman Kim about CSH eyes was a eureka moment for me. Although I hate her character, by just hearing her say it, shows how she knows how to assess people by looking at their eyes. It must have been really frustrating for her that she can't read CSH. 

Thank you so much for all this. Your posts are one of the things I look forward to each time I open this thread! :heart:

• Like 13
  • Love 4

15 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I was inspired by Sartre from his work "Le huis-clos" (No exit). Jean-Paul Sartre was a French philosopher: he is the author of the existentialism. And I applied his ideas in Encounter... however, I had to analyzed it myself.

I gain a new and wonderful knowledge again. Thank you.

Thanks for the explanation of teacher and student's eye. Really appreciate your feedback n respond. :kiss_wink:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, gumtaek said:

Prison Playbook holds the record as the tvN Wednesday-Thursday drama with the highest episode rating (nationwide): 11.195% ; Encounter: 10.329%

Encounter holds the record as the tvN Wednesday-Thursday drama with the highest episode rating for the Seoul Metropolitan area: 12.868% ; Prison Playbook: 12.299%

Thank you for this @gumtaek. I was just wondering where you got the information I quoted since it doesn't show in the table you provided. :D

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Thanks @gumtaek for sharing, the drawing looks so close to real.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, bohmi said:

when the moon and the sun meet

I like this but its the opposite.

My journey from page 1 begins today.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:39 AM, gakE said:

On August 23, it was reported that their new drama “Boyfriend” (literal title) would be holding its first script reading during the afternoon today. This was later confirmed by a source from the drama, who added that the time and location of the script reading would not be disclosed.

This is where encounter drama begins...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:06 AM, bohmi said:

Ko Chang-seok was a driver of Song Hye-kyo and played a role of Nam Myeong-sik, a good friend who protects her by her side

Indeed, he protect CSH well. Like a peacock?  No?

On 9/5/2018 at 8:06 AM, bohmi said:

will show some charm

This too.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:45 PM, bohmi said:

But it was a dream because it was a dream. I will meet him again. I dreamed ..

CSH thought it was a dream

On 9/16/2018 at 6:45 PM, bohmi said:

On the last day of the journey, I met her at the observatory.

She seemed to be a totally different kind of person. She seemed to grow rich and fine.

I had a strange day like a dream. I thought I'd sent her back and went back to Jinhyeok's routine.

I stand in front of the windmill to save her. The only thing that belongs to Jinhyeok, that gives courage.

KJH also thought its like a dream.

@bebebisous33 have you write analysis about dream and/or courage? Thank you.

My guess is the skinship on this drama will be probably limited or nil. 

- wrong guess?-

On 9/17/2018 at 2:14 AM, Plummpychan said:

This is so beautiful, it makes me emotional just by reading it ,  I think this drama will be a beautiful heartwrenching one, aahh am so looking forward to watch it.

Indeed beautiful drama to watch again and again.

The producers of “Encounter” commented, “From the very first shoot, Song Hye Kyo instantly captured the attention of the entire crew with her deeply emotional acting and her remarkable aura.

They went on, “We plan to make viewers’ hearts flutter with the love story that unfolds after Song Hye Kyo, who has lived her life trapped in a bird cage, meets the pure-hearted Park Bo Gum

My heart did flutters, tq pd-nim.

"A free young man who loves literature and photography"

• Like 9

I miss waiting every wed and thu for the livestream, then wait again for the eng sub, reading tweets and rewatching videos from ig and soompi about encounter... miss those days even i dont have enough sleep and definitely miss Jinsoo couple so much... I cant even start watching a new kdrama... thanks for all the wonderful insights here and gifs from our Jinsoo couple...

• Like 9
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1