[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Boyfriend/Encounter was one of the best K Rom-dramas I have watched.  Except for the brief break-up, I have nothing but good feelings about this drama.  The writing, directing, production and acting was all superb.  This drama left me feeling good and a smile on my face.  All the characters, except the mother-in-law redeemed themselves at the end.  The characters had depth.  I liked the fact that there wasn't any over-the-top characters hollering, hitting or throwing things.  All of the characters had dignity and a graciousness about them. Although I may not have like their actions,  the characters were not disagreeable to the point that I actually disliked them.  The mother-in-law came the closest being disliked, and even she had dignity.  I wish more K-dramas would look at the success of Encounter and take note.  

I enjoyed watching the drama with all of you.  Your insights and analysis were thought provoking.  I've had some ah-ha moments, laughs and a few difference of opinions; however, it made watching Encounter even more enjoyable. Each week, I could not wait to read the posts.

I congratulate the actors, the writer, and crew for a beautiful love story.  Thank you Song Hye-Kyo and Park Bo-Gum for portraying your characters realistically.  You should be proud of your achievements.  

If I want to introduce anyone to Korean dramas, this will be my first choice.  

I hope to see you all at another K-drama.

• Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

@NongpeeP I really loved reading your analysis as well. Yes, you are so right. Both women treated KJH as a weak person, while in reality he was much stronger and more courageous than they were. Maybe CSH might have come to the false conclusion due to the words of KJH's mother. Yet I sense that she had other reasons to think like that. First her experience with her ex-husband could have influenced her as well. JWS was weak in front of his mother, he couldn't protect her. Besides, her father seemed to act like a weak person since he couldn't stop his wife from harassing his daughter.  

• Like 18
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words and the good appreciation. Honestly, I would stop writing here if no one thanked me or replied to my analysis.

Thanks for taking your time sharing your thoughts and analysis even you are very busy, 90 mins for each post is considered quite amount of time taking away from your personal life. 

All your posts with detailed observations of art and body language bring Encounter to another level it is a fine art itself. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

Thanks a million @bebebisous33, really appreciate your time and thought and your analysis. Makes my love for the encounter grows deeper.

Its interesting to know that many can explain n give thought on many different angle. You are the champion among all. I would like to give you an imaginary winning trophy. All the best.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

@bebebisous33 thank you for tagging me:kiss_wink:.. I love it:kiss_wink:I always love your post chingu:kiss_wink: very2 insightsful :kiss_wink:I also enjoy reading  your post:kiss_wink: my English so limited that I don't know how to replied your post with beautiful sentences:sweat_smile:you words already beautiful and wonderful to us:wub: as I said before.. your post bring all of us to kim Jin hyuk and cha soo hyun world:wub:.. We feel them.. Always support your post chingu:kiss_wink:.. Bring it on:kiss_wink:

• Like 8
  • Love 3

It's Wednesday again, but there are no more Encounter moments to look forward to. However, like everyone here, I love reading the analysis and comments regarding this enchanting drama. Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts.

And because this will drama will always stay in my heart, here I am, compiling Encounter's significant moments...

ilFev2d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Love 7
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33 excellent analysis as usual.

If I may just add, the Little Prince was a lover of sunsets just like CSH in episode one. That’s what drew her to Moro Cabana in the first place :wub: 

What is your take on the lamplighter tho? As this was the only other adult that the Prince seemed to love. Now that the drama is over, doesn’t he resemble CSH’s father a bit? Bound to duty etc.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

Hi @bebebisous33 thank you so much for taking your precious 90 minutes each insight for us to understand every single characters, symbols, and philosophical tale in Encounter.

Especially this Little Prince character compare to Cha Soo Hyun. 

This analysis struck me the most.

Her situation is really similar to the aviator's situation: his plane needs to be repared and he has nothing. Yet despite everything, CSH was able to survive and to enjoy the evening: experience new things. And this is exactly what happened to the aviator and the little Prince.

:heart:

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Saw this on my Twitter feed...

Oh wow! A testimonial from a multi-awarded (both internationally and nationally) Filipina actress and singer, Lea Salonga. Putting under spoiler her credentials. Very impressive. She knows her craft.

Spoiler

Maria Lea Carmen Imutan Salonga, (/ˈlə səˈlɒŋɡə/; born February 22, 1971) is a Filipina singer and actress best known for her roles in musical theatre, for supplying the singing voices of two Disney Princesses, and as a recording artist and television performer.

At age 18, she originated the lead role of Kim in the musical Miss Saigon, first in the West End and then on Broadway,[3] winning the Olivier and Theatre World Awards, and becoming the first Asian woman to win a Tony Award.[4] Salonga is the first Filipino artist to sign with an international record label (Atlantic Records in 1993). She is also the first Philippine-based artist to have received a major album release and distribution deal in the United States, and one of the best-selling Filipino artists of all time, having sold over 19 million copies of her albums worldwide.[5][citation needed]

Salonga was the first actress of Asian descent to play the roles of Éponine and Fantine in the musical Les Misérables on Broadway.[6][7]She also portrayed Éponine and Fantine, respectively, in the musical's 10th and 25th anniversary concerts in London. She provided the singing voices of two official Disney Princesses: Jasmine in Aladdin (1992) and Fa Mulan in Mulan (1998). She was named a Disney Legend in 2011 for her work with The Walt Disney Company.[8] Salonga starred as Mei-li in the 2002 Broadway version of Flower Drum Song. She has played numerous other stage, film and TV roles in the US, the Philippines and elsewhere. She has toured widely in the title role of Cinderella, among other roles, and as a concert artist. From 2015 to 2016, she returned to Broadway in Allegiance, and from 2017 to 2019 she appeared in the Broadway revival of Once on This Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Salonga

Here is her tweet about Encounter

• Like 9
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 5

@gumtaek Being the musical nerd that I am, I jumped for joy when I saw this tweet! Hopefully this paves the way for more people to watch it (not that there are few).

She was the lead star of the original production of Miss Saigon in 1989. Interestingly, in Miss Saigon there’s a duet entitled “Sun and Moon”

Let me just share a bit of the lyrics, eh?

Kim (the heroine): You are sunlight and i moon
Joined by the gods of fortune
Midnight and high noon
Sharing the sky
We have been blessed, you and i

Chris(the hero): You are here like a mystery
I'm from a world that's so different
From all that you are
How in the light of one night
Did we come so far?

IT IS SO CSH AND JH TOO!!! CSH, the moon and JH, the sun :wub:

Ah, what a beautiful coincidence!

• Like 10
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, gumtaek said:

Saw this on my Twitter feed...

Oh wow! A testimonial from a multi-awarded (both internationally and nationally) Filipina actress and singer, Lea Salonga. Putting under spoiler her credentials. Very impressive. She knows her craft.

Hide contents

Maria Lea Carmen Imutan Salonga, (/ˈlə səˈlɒŋɡə/; born February 22, 1971) is a Filipina singer and actress best known for her roles in musical theatre, for supplying the singing voices of two Disney Princesses, and as a recording artist and television performer.

At age 18, she originated the lead role of Kim in the musical Miss Saigon, first in the West End and then on Broadway,[3] winning the Olivier and Theatre World Awards, and becoming the first Asian woman to win a Tony Award.[4] Salonga is the first Filipino artist to sign with an international record label (Atlantic Records in 1993). She is also the first Philippine-based artist to have received a major album release and distribution deal in the United States, and one of the best-selling Filipino artists of all time, having sold over 19 million copies of her albums worldwide.[5][citation needed]

Salonga was the first actress of Asian descent to play the roles of Éponine and Fantine in the musical Les Misérables on Broadway.[6][7]She also portrayed Éponine and Fantine, respectively, in the musical's 10th and 25th anniversary concerts in London. She provided the singing voices of two official Disney Princesses: Jasmine in Aladdin (1992) and Fa Mulan in Mulan (1998). She was named a Disney Legend in 2011 for her work with The Walt Disney Company.[8] Salonga starred as Mei-li in the 2002 Broadway version of Flower Drum Song. She has played numerous other stage, film and TV roles in the US, the Philippines and elsewhere. She has toured widely in the title role of Cinderella, among other roles, and as a concert artist. From 2015 to 2016, she returned to Broadway in Allegiance, and from 2017 to 2019 she appeared in the Broadway revival of Once on This Island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Salonga

Here is her tweet about Encounter

Oh my! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing Lea Salonga's post!!! :heart::heart::heart:

I can't believe these two worlds are colliding!!!! I love Lea Salonga!!! Lea Salonga  is watching a Korean drama aaaahhhhhh. But on top of that it is my favorite drama. aaaaaah. Fingers cross that she will sing one of the OST songs. Or is that just my silly wishful thinking? 

But thank you, gumtaek!!! :heart::heart::heart:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote links, thanks! :)
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

@gumtaekThank you for posting you beat me! Coming from a very good singer and musical actress who only watch epeside 1 saying it is gooooooood is an honor. 

How to overcome this Encounter withdrawal syndrome????

- need to rewatch again and again especially episode 10 & 15

- need to start reading this forum from page 1.

@bebebisous33Again thank you for your great analysis to which I appreciate more the scene when I rewatch Encounter.

Also to all who share their insights thank you so much.

• Like 10
  • Love 1