[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

15 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

@bebebisous33

Hello, chingu! waiting for more of your analyses especially to the paintings and opening/closing credits for epi 15. :wub:

@ahdrianaa

lol SHK Fanboys :lol:

@gumtaek

For some reason, i feel bad about those posts. Good that she/he praised our drama but still, i feel bad.

So far, I haven't even written anything about the drawing from the episode 14 and something caught my attention there. Then while watching the episode 14, another topic came to my mind: courage. 

To conclude, this is what I have planned to write:

- an analysis of the last three drawings

- the final comment "the significance of hands and feet"

- courage

- the final scene from the episode 14

- the painting from SA: the bride

- CSH, KJH and the little prince part two

Have you got any other idea? Please let me know...

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 5

On 1/23/2019 at 11:37 PM, jl08 said:

Oh well, trust me, the Asian culture is respect the elderly. I support that fully. One has to respect one's parents.

Yet we've seen how a family bond is broken when things get out of hand, in reality.

@jl08I am older; therefore, respecting the elderly and one's parents was a given when I was growing up.   One of the things I love about the Asian culture is their respect for their elderly.  However, I think sometimes parents take advantage of the respect their children have for them and become controlling and/or overbearing.  My mother gave me advice about the people around me, both relationships and friends and she was right in most cases; however, she did it in such a way that it left the final decision up to me.  I appreciated her wisdom and I would weigh her concerns against what I knew and come to my own decision.  My mother is now gone, and many days, I wish that I could seek her wisdom; however, thankfully, she left me with enough knowledge and guidelines to make (in most cases) the right choices.  I think in all cultures, mothers have a problem in letting their sons go.  I think it has a lot to do with the sons giving the love and attention they used to give to their mothers to another woman.

I have not watched the last two episodes yet; however, I understand there is a happy ending and JH's mother did the right thing.  :D

I loved this drama, the writing was superb.  The writer took an everyday subject, meeting and falling in love, and made it something wonderful, sometimes heart-wrenching, and most importantly a joy to watch.  For me it made me reminisce about the beauty of new love and the joy I felt when I realized this is the person for me.  This is it!  I cannot write enough great things about the actors abilities, their performance were spot on.  They made you feel the joy, the hesitancy, the pain, and the beauty of falling and being in love.  Great job all. 

I will return to this post once I have watched the last two episodes.  

• Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I'm going to stop now because I realize that I've been going on and on about, and could probably write even more about the very emotional final episodes, because this entire drama is about the growth that both SH and JH go through, and the emotional arcs that aid in that growth. I'm not sure that it is either SHK or PBG's best work to date, but I have to say that I am very fond of SH and JH, and their simple yet not simple romance.

Thanks to everyone on the thread. It was fun hanging out here even when things would get a bit noisy at times. Take care and hope to see everyone on other threads.

@stroppyse

Thank you so much for your kind translations over our Encounter.

Thank you again for your observation sharing in this forum about our Encounter esp. in Ep14 to enlighten me how CSH was and this recent Ep15-16 how CSH thought and how KJH unfold his two beloved women’s concerns in life with love and care. 

When you mentioned :

“I'm going to stop now because I realize that I've been going on and on about, and could probably write even more about the very emotional final episodes, because this entire drama is about the growth that both SH and JH go through, and the emotional arcs that aid in that growth”

make me wanna read your comments much more indeed.

The chance that we found the kdrama with delicate feeling and thoughts might not be likely, we can discuss more. 

53 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Finally, the acting. I was a bit skeptical when I heard the casting--SHK seems very serious and mature (NOT old, but just someone with more gravity), and PBG just feels rather young to me. But my word--they were excellent! Perfect casting for these roles. They fully embodied their characters and gave their all to tell these people's story and bring it to life. 

High praise to everyone involved with this drama. It's a winner.

@frozentundra

Our KJH’s and CSH’s presenters as PBG and SHK can pass with full scores finally. 

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

To conclude, this is what I have planned to write:

- an analysis of the last three drawings

- the final comment "the significance of hands and feet"

- courage

- the final scene from the episode 14

- the painting from SA: the bride

- CSH, KJH and the little prince part two

Have you got any other idea? Please let me know...

@bebebisous33

Wait and wanna read.

Haha, just noticed that cake with KJH&CSH pictures is cut to separate by PBG&SHK’s joined hands in Encounter’s wrap up party, that’s why their facial expression is humorous. 

Another facts: Almost all things in Encounter has sponsorships. This IG below belongs to the designer who created CSH’s room with sponsorship kitchen and sofa.

KJH’s small bed room has sponsorship bed.

Hallyu stars as lead actor and lead actress can procure CFs and sponsorship to the production house and Casts&Crews to have more budget for their well being and qualifucatory production.   

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Encounter episode 15 CSH and the painting the little prince.png 

I had written before that the person in the painting, The Little Prince, symbolizes CSH's inner child and now I would like to add another observation. This picture was taken from the episode 15. Notice how she is sitting next to the little prince. She has always been turning her back on him, in a sense we could say that she has been trying not to acknowledge her "inner child", although we know that CSH had started changing. Nonetheless, the way this scene was taken underlines another aspect: we barely see the little prince, hence we come to the conclusion that his presence has been even reduced. Don't forget that she is about to break up with JH. Moreover, the wall/door on the side which covers the face of the little prince could be interpreted as the pressure CSH is feeling right now. She is again fighting against her inner demons: the right to be happy. She feels that happiness can only be a dream. For her, unhappiness means reality. Reality is linked to being a grown-up. She associates reality and adulthood with unhappiness since no adult around her has ever been shown happy. See her ex-husband, her mother (never satisfied with her actual life), her father (regretting his bad choice), her ex-mother-in-law, her secretary Nam (he stopped being a journalist, never confessed to his loved one...), JMJ trying to chase the perfect husband ... Moreover, I sense that she might even think that she, the princess, is cursed to be unhappy in her life therefore her curse might affect JH's family. This is the real reason for the break-up. 

@NongpeeP Thanks a lot for the encouraging words. :wub:

By the way, should I keep tagging people like before or not? Please let me know.

• Like 12
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tlireal said:

@bubblechoco how can I sign up for the dvd? Am I too late now? :tears:

9 hours ago, Cheryl295 said:

Hi everybody,

Is DVD on demand survey stage or is there a pre order already? Can someone please share links and how to order. 

No you guys can still send an email to boyfrienddvd@gmail.com‬ (Country, the quantity of Bluray / DVD you would like to buy)
It is still on demand survey stage (intention of purchase) so it is worthwhile to send it anyway!

The more demand they get, the more bargaining power we have (Commentaries, all sorts of unseen footage, director's cut, ENGLISH SUBTITLES, etc etc)

9 hours ago, rosiepeonie188 said:

YYA and PSW also deserve awards. PSW absolutely do justice to her beautifully written script.

Im looking forward for their next collab

YES, i will visiting the Youngpoong bookstore tmrw. Seoul is extremely cold nowdays, i can only imagine the hardship of the casts and crew were going thru, especially when they're working on wee time.. my biggest appreciation 

PSW is one of my favourite K-Drama director...
I'm always in awe of his work (even the script are meh)

But I gotta say this is YYA's best work so far... I'll try to follow her work from now on

Ooooh you gotta let us know how you're getting on!

8 hours ago, stardustvoid said:

I feel it in my bones that there are! B)

That can’t be all there is to it. Hashtag denial mode :sweatingbullets:

I'm gonna wait for Director's Cut then... hehehe

8 hours ago, ahdrianaa said:

I posted the link about 3 weeks ago, they are still taking pre-orders. It was limited to domestic shipping but now they are offering international shipping.

I was still in my own cave 3 weeks ago but how did I miss that anyway?
Thanks buddy, another item on my Encounter shopping list then ; )

7 hours ago, NongpeeP said:

@bubblechoco

I can not withdraw from Encounter /Boyfriend yet, I planned rewatching, reading this forum from day 1, and craved for more pics&clips&BTS&script book.

Looks like many of us are going to stuck for life then! I'm always willing to talk remember ^__^

As CSH loves homecook and likes KJH’s simple family bonding; and 

As KJH’s family esp. mom is  important to his life and their relationship, KJH brings CSH to be familiar to be a part of his family. 

His mom can acknowledge that CSH, the dear son’s simple girlfriend, does not make KJH separate from his family but mom has just gotten one more family member. 

- KJH visits CSH’s father like a part of CSH’s family, no need informing CSH. 

The more they spend time together, the quicker the bond developed... which is a good thing ^__^

I like how Congressman Cha calls Jinhyuk as "Jinhyuk-ee" (If I hear it correctly during the live stream)
Soohyun's face when she found out Jinhyuk has been visiting... hehehe proud fiance (i see her as his fiance when they got back together) <3 <3 <3

Plus, she saw her own pictures taken during their dating time, she can smile with happiness only when she was with KJH.

If only she sees her own happy pictures earlier................... T___T

9 hours ago, bohmi said:

google translate :

In addition, `boyfriend` decided to publish a script book that can chew up after the end, it plans to release the script of Yoo Young-ah, who wrote 1 ~ 16 episodes in two volumes, and present it to viewers who enjoyed the drama.

@bohmi

Could they release English version too?

Unlikely. They don't normally publish versions for other languages.
Unless someone can convince some kind of publisher from the UK/US to release one... which is... hard...

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

1 hour ago, bubblechoco said:

But I gotta say this is YYA's best work so far... I'll try to follow her work from now on

I love her Miracle in Cell No. 7. It was just so heartbreaking.

No you guys can still send an email to boyfrienddvd@gmail.com‬ (Country, the quantity of Bluray / DVD you would like to buy)
It is still on demand survey stage (intention of purchase) so it is worthwhile to send it anyway!

The more demand they get, the more bargaining power we have (Commentaries, all sorts of unseen footage, director's cut, ENGLISH SUBTITLES, etc etc)

Thank you for this.

I'm signing up! :) 

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm going to stop now because I realize that I've been going on and on about, and could probably write even more about the very emotional final episodes, because this entire drama is about the growth that both SH and JH go through, and the emotional arcs that aid in that growth. I'm not sure that it is either SHK or PBG's best work to date, but I have to say that I am very fond of SH and JH, and their simple yet not simple romance.

Hello there.

Thank you for being level headed and sound when it comes to your comments.

I might not react too much about your posts but that is because I mostly think the same thing. There's nothing to react but pushing the Trophy button on your post  :thumbsup: Most of all... Thank you for spending time translating the scenes word for word! You're a life saver for those people who have to wait for the Eng subs before they can fully understand the drama.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

For her, unhappiness means reality. Reality is linked to being a grown-up. She associates reality and adulthood with unhappiness since no adult around her has ever been shown happy.

I love this line. Some of the people here had a discussion about CSH breaking-up because KJH's mom begged her and everyone got a little strong about it. The writer actually answered our discussion. The part when CSH said that it was KJH's omma's fault because if she did it just because of her then she could have just begged for her acceptance but she didnt because she was also thinking and fearing the same thing (i so love that scene).

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

The more they spend time together, the quicker the bond developed... which is a good thing ^__^

I like how Congressman Cha calls Jinhyuk as "Jinhyuk-ee" (If I hear it correctly during the live stream)
Soohyun's face when she found out Jinhyuk has been visiting... hehehe proud fiance (i see her as his fiance when they got back together) <3 <3 <3

If only she sees her own happy pictures earlier................... T___T

Unlikely. They don't normally publish versions for other languages.
Unless someone can convince some kind of publisher from the UK/US to release one... which is... hard...

@bubblechoco

You made me listen what CSH’s dad called KJH, it sounds as you mentioned.

===============

Art from Encounter

Poem book from Encounter

Book from Encounter

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:
3 hours ago, bubblechoco said:

I love her Miracle in Cell No. 7. It was just so heartbreaking.

Oh i was referring to her drama works...

Encounter is the best out of all so far (I was saying she can finally redeem her reputation for drama)

I was sceptical at first, not because of the pairing of Kyo & Bogum, but mainly because I didn't like any of her previous work and thought this is going to be so cliche (Remember my previous post?).

However, since Kyo & Bogum (both are my fav k-actor/actress) have accepted the role, I decided to trust them and give it a try.

Compared to drama, her movie works are much better and ditto on Miracle in Cell No.7!

1 hour ago, NongpeeP said:

@bubblechoco

You made me listen what CSH’s dad called KJH, it sounds as you mentioned.

<3

Plus, I'm going to write myself a shopping list for Encounter so I'll be able to get them all when I'm in Seoul later this year ; )

• Like 9
  • Love 3

This site made lovely and insightful reviews of the drama. Unfortunately, these are in Korean. For those who can understand the language, it's good to spend time reading their analyses of the drama. I am providing one link but you can access all the other links of the reviews for all the other episodes with this.

http://m.rpm9.com/news/article.html?id=20190125090007&amp;SNS=00001#RedyAi

@dukesa1122

Spoiler

I understand your sentiment. If only the tweets could be edited but I lacked time to do it. Hence, I placed these tweets under spoilers. I just appreciate the person's take on the drama.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 6

Sorry I have not been able to keep with all the posts.  My wife and I watched episode 15 last night and it was gut wrenching.  We will watch episode 16 tonight.  Unfortunately my wife has suffered a serious health issue and we have been going back and forth to doctors and the hospital.  I am hoping for a good ending to Encounter to help lighten her mood and hopefully help her to feel a little better.

• Sad 13
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

@larrysouth

missed you here, chingu! 

Oh! :( I hope everythings gonna be alright with your wife. Do not read the previous pages so you wont be spoiled about the ending! 

@bubblechoco

haha haven’t watched any of the writers previous dramas yet. :lol: But yes, I did read that her previous dramas were not that good. Many were doubting the drama because she was the scriptwriter. Totally redeemed herself here!

@gumtaek

Spoiler

Thank you for putting it in a spoiler! Sorry didnt mean for it to come out that way. I havent watched the other drama that was mentioned but I read bad reviews about the ending.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

By the way, should I keep tagging people like before or not? Please let me know.

Please do tag me.. waiting for all your analysis.:). esp the last 2 episodes

3 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Where is the photo of Dae Chan clean shaven? Thanks.

Also very nice gif of the kisses. Pity we don't have one post with all of them. Do we?

I think @leedonghaek posted a few pages back.. 

• Like 5

@bebebisous33Yes please tag me and thank you. Actually when I watching episode 15 your on my mind because of many hand gesture by JH & SH.

By the way am I the only one thinking that the original ending is the kiss at the playground but due to Soompiers demand to make an ending to each character they add additional scene. 

Will continue to visit this thread because if not I will miss Jinsoo.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1