[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Just watched the finale. I liked it. I liked how low-key everything was.

They love each other. That's it. Game over.

You had a double-dose of evil mothers, wealthy family vs. poor family, political power intrigues, foreign location, ex-hubby who still loves her, co-worker who liked him - all the ingredients of of a frothy makjang, and the solution at the end was - they love each other.

They loved each other. Nothing stopped them except their own hesitation and some noble idiocy. But it didn't last long.

It was just simple and direct. Just like Jin Hyeok's personality.

("All you need is love." - The Beatles)

• Like 16
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

58 minutes ago, jjeennyy19 said:

I cant bring myself to watch the final episode with eng subtitle bec it really means its goodbye for this beautiful drama!:astonished::bawling: Am I weird or what?:lol: This drama is my cup of tea!No I'm not bias!Its not makjang but just real life happening!To the actors, writer, director and staff, thank you!You all worked hard for bringing us Boyfriend/Encounter!:wub::heart:

Psst...me too. LOL

I’m saving it for a rainy day

• Like 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, gumtaek said:

Exactly my thoughts @bubblechoco. About time, I have to say.

Got their tweet notification but I decided not to open cause I know they would pick the meanies cause I never read anything nice things regarding Encounter from them

But then it came up on this thread... the first thing that came to my mind was "I'm sure this is not from NB"... 

BOOM!

I used to lurk around there but I got sick and tired of it

• Like 7
  • LOL 7

Its over!! 

The ending calmed my fears. Not perfect, but much better than I feared. 

I guess I'll have to watch Mexican telenovela for endings with complete closure.

thankfully,  we see marriage by June 2021 (get married now!!) and a Santiago honeymoon. (Have koreans started taking interest in travelling there? lol). And two kids. 

I'll definitely be rewatching this drama every so often. I needed some cavity inducing romantic drama since most dramas have been gritty and emotional. Seeing a Male character like KJH that's so loving, caring, considerate, honorable.... they've set up the valentine's day mood for me! He's now among my dreamy men, with Mr.Darcy, Alejandro from Sortilegio and JoKuk from City Hall.:wub:

• Like 14
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, bubblechoco said:

Got their tweet notification but I decided not to open cause I know they would pick the meanies cause I never read anything nice things regarding Encounter from them

But then it came up on this thread... the first thing that came to my mind was "I'm sure this is not from NB"... 

BOOM!

I used to lurk around there but I got sick and tired of it

Spoiler

I am still on "banned mode" as far as that site is concerned.:angry:

I  just finished watching English subbed episode 16 and guess what? Spontaneously, I found myself applauding at how well the drama was put to a close! I have watched many----and I mean many! ---Kdramas and one of of the biggest challenges these faced was a satisfying ending which put a closure to the plot and the sub-plots, i.e. tying loose ends. In this aspect, I'd give Encounter an A+!

My heart is full right now.

• Like 12
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Why am i having this perception or interpretation on their convo on the stairs , the last scene... that they are already married?

When they are talking about ham and kimchi, Santiago, being newlyweds, the presence of the 2 children...

Then, that shot focusing on Jh hand with  the ring, but Sh cover her's with her other hand. I tried to zoom the ring, it is blurred but seems to look  different.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

10 hours ago, beebeep said:

@NongpeeP thanks for posting the translation.

This drama totally sends a good message that we should cherish our loved ones. Even when they are being difficult (such as JH's mom or CSH's mom), we should at least give them a chance and we should still continue to love them. What a heart warming message.

It's true that sometimes you don't need to argue viciously to change someone's hearts. JH wins his mom's approval through his consistent love...

I already know all of these messages but to implement it I think it's very difficult, which is very obvious from the reactions of all of us in this forum to JH's mom. We suggested JH to cut off his relationship and move out from the house. We suggested JH to confront his mom directly and immediately...

Should JH follow our suggestions, there will be more unnecessary drama ensued and his relationship with his mom is probably not going to be same...so Kudos to JH! You're indeed more mature than your age and I admit that you're more mature than me (even though I'm older) since I often react wrongly when those pressures arrive. You deserve to live happily with CSH.

@beebeep

Totally agreed. The way KJH treated his mom and won her approval with love made me realize how precious he is.

Kim Jin Hyuk can still remain as the True Kim Jin  Hyuk who is always with love no matter to his mom or his CSH. 

9 hours ago, htk9207 said:

@NongpeeP

KJH and his mom scene at the bus stop was so touching. But I was even more touched when she went to bring the side dishes to SH. So when JH gave back SH her pair of shoes, I was already crying. This time they're tears of happiness. :P I won't rewatch episode 15 though, it's not good for my heart. I'll just rewatch episode 16 to my heart's content. :lol: Thanks for the translations. Still waiting for subs.

@htk9207

I cried hard for bus stop scene for the way KJH treated his mom with gestures of love no matter rub her arm, hold her hands, stare with care. 

(Even touching more when KJH acted by Park Bo Gum who in real life shows deep love to his dad&family like this too)

When KJH’s mom brought the dish side to CSH, I was glad for nearly ending KJH’s torturing moment from his pure love to both women. 

Giving back the shoes is KJH’s another attempts after several is powerful to melt CSH’s.

8 hours ago, luvhollandlop said:

What I love about Encounter...

To me this drama tries to show forth various expressions of love. 

I am particularly inspired by JH’s expressions of love for his friends, family, enemies and especially for SH. Watching how JH expresses his love for people around him, I am reminded of this quote from apostle Paul to the Corinthians.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

We saw how JH treated his mum, so gentle and kind. When mum confessed her actions to him, he was gentle to help her see that he was certained she loves him and she did it because she had no idea how much he loves SH. He was careful to help her see that SH understood mum’s behaviour too. He was not angry and kept no records of her wrongdoing. I cried at that scene. Putting myself in mum’s shoes, it would have been so touching to be handled in this manner by someone whom I had hurt.

I am especially touched by how JH trusts, hopes and perseveres in the face of SH’s uncertainties and fears. At first, he considered to break off with her because he thought his love for her had trapped her in feeling guilty for causing hurt to people around her. After remembering his promises to her and seeing how she was happy with him, he chose to trust, to hope and to persevere.

To some, JH maybe too idealistic but I liked how SH put it across to her Mother who was saying hurtful things to SH after her Father was taken away by the investigators. SH’s mum was hurting and she said many things that hurt SH. She wanted to make SH feel guilty by telling her her Father confessed because of he wanted her to be freed from Taegyeong group. She told SH she was regretting confessing to the investigators and told SH not to feel grateful towards her. She told SH she was hard hearted person and would survive this ordeal so SH didn’t need to be kind to her. SH responded by telling her mum that both of them should try to encourage each other in times of hurt. Mum replied with pragmatic “how will that help?” SH did not give up but told mum that’s how some lived and even if it was uncomfortable and even if it didn’t work, they should practice encouraging each other.

Perhaps that’s what being idealistic is all about, to convince the realist or pragmatic side of us to just believe, just trust and just hope even when it is difficult. Perhaps practice will make permanent the ideals.

@luvhollandlop

The writer drawed script with classy sample how a closed person can encourage the one he/she loves with positive word is hearten.

It does not just let CSH learn but the audiences too. 

When CSH’s dad has been arrested

KJH’s message to CSH: 

”You must be scared. Don’t cry too much. There are people that love you. Don’t forget about how we feel. I’m sure it’ll work out.

When CSH’s mom throwed bad words to CSH as usual, CSH asked mom to try encouraging (as KJH’s)

CSH: “At times like this, Even if it’s tough and painful for both of us, it’s alright.

I hope you say thing like this.

we should practice too. I heard everyone lives like this.

6 hours ago, os168 said:

This exquisite little gem again reaffirming SHK as the queen of the genre/Kdrama and PBG as the millennial leading man, successfully breaking away pretty boy image - > Gorgeous Man with serious acting chops, clearly tries hard with so much sincerity and improvements with every episode, you can't help but want to cheer for him along the way and fall in love with him throughout the journey.  This series had this green grape from the beginning turning into this fine delicious champagne with a lovely and addictive aftertaste.  Whereas the ice queen with thorns turned into this adorable goofy marshmallow 'girlfriend' with a heart of gold by the end, and I can't get enough of them!!   The actors deserve all the recognition and accolades soon coming their way.   Their fantasy journey of 'selfless love conquers all' ultimately provide the much antidote and hope in the current climate of give and take.   The proposal scene was simply lovely and adorable, rather glad they didn't go for an overly sappy/predictable happy ending.    It lingers and left me with a satisfying smile (+ happy tears of course!) at the end, which will last for days/ weeks / months ... isn't that what we all hope for?  :blush: 

(rewatch factor during new snowfalls x 100)

3 hours ago, os168 said:

Enjoy reading everyone's thoughts... I will elaborate on why the ending is good for me...

@os168

Beautiful praise for Park Bo Gum, Song Hye Kyo, and Casts&Crew.

I also like your analysis in the latest page so much.

6 hours ago, charlieblue17 said:

The writing was both subtle and clever. They knew exactly the story they wanted to tell and they told it to the best of their ability. It wasn’t perfect, but it was consistent in characterization, heartfelt and true to its core. The pacing was very assured and the acting exceptional. SH is by far my favorite role of SHK's, and ep.15 was probably the best acting I've ever seen from PBG.

And I have a new painting in my living room proving just how inspiring I found the art in this show. 

(hadn't painted in ages, so it felt really good to pick up a brush again).

I will remember this show fondly for a long time. 

@charlieblue17

The writer can remain both subtle and clever in story and script from the 1st minute to the end of Encounter which is very unlikely in Kdrama. 

Such great script is in the hands of the best actor/actress as Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum to convey the written one to elaborate cinematography with visual, acting, and voice, as well as all credible Casts and Crews.

5 hours ago, dukesa1122 said:

I just love how persistent KJH is without being stalker-ish or needy. I love how he gave enough space without being pushy. I love how I can almost see CSH walls slowly being chipped away bit by bit again, until when she saw the shoes, you can almost see her walls collapsing down. Letting love in! Making happiness come in! By God! SHK nailed that part! I just wanna jump for joy and give her a big hug for nailing each of it!

And finally, the scene when he was walking up to KJH, and KJH is walking down the stairs, snow is falling down hard. CSH sees KJH first like when KJH saw CSH in episode 2. I love how desperate the kiss was and how sweet and so full of longing and meaning! Ahhhhhh~~~ :bawling:

@dukesa1122That is our proud Encounter / Boyfriend. 

5 hours ago, ponderings said:

Aside from Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun, we have to mention about the scene between Jin Hyuk and Hye In!

I loved how she confessed and expressed that she liked the moments of being with him. She liked him, but she did not love him. 

She saw that it takes two people to love each other and she happily rooted for Jin Hyuk and Soo Hyun. I loved that genuine moment between these two friends! I think it is a rare moment we see in Korean dramas, right? 

@ponderings

KJH is so KJH.

When he knew HI like him for a long time, the first word he said reflecting his kind heart with sympathy.

KJH: “It must’ve been so annoying for you to come to work” 

HI: “As I saw you being so sincere towards CEO. I thought about it in your perspective. And I think I just liked you, and didn’t love you”

KJH: “Hae In, Thank you for liking me”

4 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

But man ep 16's scenes were not rushed. In the sense that the pacing stayed consistent with all his previous episodes. Smooth transitions and all the little nuances were captured. I am sure having a confident writer and good cast helped.

The team interactions made me laugh. I need to go rewatch JH's 1st day at work again.

The closing sequences of images- the artwork one- they symbolism are so spot on.

The voiceovers. The note inside the bouquet case made me squeal. The details captured by the writer and carried out so well by the PD elevated the whole story you know. Good acting cannot save bad directing and a crappy story.

Sigh. This has been a good drama. And to think I didn't start it early because the storyline sounded kitschy.

I now have to go back and watch ep 15. I refused to watch it first.

@ck1Oz

I am very impressed and surprised with steady and calm pace of Encounter’s ending, it’s ending which other kdrama speeded to wrap BUT Casts&Crews has chosen their unique way to deliver one of a kind style. 

3 hours ago, bubblechoco said:

Wow, NB is being nice this time...

Umm, I knew what you meant about nitizen buzz. 

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:

I  just finished watching English subbed episode 16 and guess what? Spontaneously, I found myself applauding at how well the drama was put to a close! I have watched many----and I mean many! ---Kdramas and one of of the biggest challenges these faced was a satisfying ending which put a closure to the plot and the sub-plots, i.e. tying loose ends. In this aspect, I'd give Encounter an A+!

@gumtaek

Totally agreed.

Encounter is like the dearest son can graduate with full score, the highest honor, and also chosen as the representative of the top university from all gorgeous qualities he has achieved.

I am very glad that Park Bo Gum challenged himself to join this Encounter project among critics and bias.(I was one of them)

He has done the best ever to portray one of his masterpiece in his acting career. 

Park Bo Gum can really create a precious man named Kim Jin Hyuk to sit in many audiences’ heart, memorably. 

I am very delightful that the female lead is Song Hye Kyo because of her acting experience and her top actress’s professional attitude to comvey the role with steady and calm focus, no need to try acting too aggressive to steal the scenes but naturally blend into Cha Soo Hyun.

• Like 11
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

I found this! The singer of encounter's ost part 9 had live performance yesterday at mcountdown. This is sweet beautiful song, which make you feel calm too.. :wub:

I can't describe how I love Encounter so much, and this thread too.. thx so much everyone.. sending virtual hug:wub:

• Like 9
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, gumtaek said:
  Hide contents

I am still on "banned mode" as far as that site is concerned.:angry:

Same same same! I agree with everything you said, NB and the finale

Although our OTP doesn't get as much as screentime together than we would like (Admit it, it will never be enough)

I'm totally happy with the ending. I like how the writer wraps up everyone properly.

It's a shame Daechan x Mijin; Driver Nam & Manager Kim; Jinmyung x Hyein didn't work out as we have hoped but we do see some promising progress (Well... I always find the 1st and 2nd coupling possible but not the latter one)

I like the way they handled the time jump -  after our dear OTP getting back together, shows us they are still very much in love (much much much much much in love) and speaks informally completely, I like how they are taking things slow, having real dates without any hesitation and worries (Not saying it wasn't real before, just, too much "what if" in their heads esp Soohyun)

I'm also okay they don't end the episode in Cuba / ends with a wedding and have kids yet, for me it doesn't have to be that obvious. (It's on the cards anyway, just a matter of time - I'm glad he popped the question again... thank you writer-nim, thank you!)

But it's a shame they didn't show us on the screen how they are getting on with their respective families, would be nice if there are scenes eating and cooking together at home; I would want Jinhyuk & Soohyun to go visit her parents sometime too. Why don't they show it to us? Shows us how future son-in-law Kim Jinhyuk captivates their hearts T__T
They should also show us an epilogue of their married life. (e.g waking up together and doing chores / travelling somewhere, etc)

=

As you all may know... I stopped the series after E13 so I'm still short of something... but here are my current two cents ; )

• Like 14
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2