[Drama 2018-2019] Encounter / Boyfriend, 남자친구

Just wanna share the full video of PBG singing Encounter's OST, uploaded by his fansite on youtube:

There's a bit of a sad or solemn(?) look at the end, maybe he's also a bit sad that the drama's over :joy:

I hope he sings "Donghwa" by Ra.D next :)

Spoiler

He also sang a lot of other songs and danced! It's amazing how he was able to practice all those despite the hectic sched. 

• Like 11
  • Love 10
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2019 at 11:25 PM, bikes said:

Hello does anyone know the name of the background song used during the final episode when CSH was walking under the snow and looking at the pictures in the dark room? The song starts when she got off from the car (with Mr Nam) and heads toward the playground. Didn't have much lyrics so I couldn't catch it but it was so good. 

Thank you to anyone who can help me get a lead on this ! :)

Hi! 

The full ost is now out on iTunes.  The particular instrumental piece is called Every Breath, and is my favourite too.  That scene of Soohyun climbing the steps with the flashbacks to her visit to Teacher Lee’s...amazingly cinematic with this sweet track accompanying her.

Enjoy the songs!

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 5

Encounter finale: tvN series starring Park Bo-Gum and Song Hye-Kyo concludes like most romantic K-Dramas, earns high viewership

26th January 2019 by War Omega

Leave a Comment

Encounter K-drama stars  Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum Encounter, the K-drama starring Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum, recently concluded. Image Credit: Total Variety Network (tvN)

Encounter (also known as Boyfriend), the popular romantic K-drama that was airing on the Total Variety Network (tvN), recently aired its penultimate and final episodes. It ended similarly to the typical trope of other romance K-dramas, which in turn, resulted in high viewership.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder

WARNING: Spoilers ahead! Skip to the first paragraph after the second video to avoid!

Even though Encounter played to the typical tropes reminiscent of romance K-dramas, how it was executed was well-done. 

In the course of two episodes, Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye-Kyo) and Kim Jin-Hyuk (Park Bo-Gum) breakup and end up together again all within the series’ real time. This means there wasn’t any time jump between the two.

Having two significant moments in Cha Soo-Hyun and Kim Jin-Hyuk’s relationship happen back-to-back would have resulted in rushed writing, but instead, it was produced and directed to actually fit.

The breakup happens in the penultimate episode in which Soo-Hyun breaks up with Jin-Hyuk as she cannot bear dragging her boyfriend and his family through the media circus pertaining to her family. Jin-Hyuk clearly shows how upset he is resulting in some of Park Bo-Gum’s best acting.

hqdefault.jpg

Park Bo-Gum did an amazing job showing his character’s sadness and anguish after a breakup. 

In the final episode, Kim Jin-Hyuk does all he can to win back Cha Soo-Hyun saying that Soo-Hyun can “break up with him” but he won’t “break up with her” and that he’ll keep his promise to protect her.

Eventually, Cha Soo-Hyun realizes that she is happiest being with Kim Jin-Hyuk and comes back to him. One year later, both Soo-Hyun and Jin-Hyuk are going strong, eating out at restaurants, spending time together, and at that point, discussing marriage.

hqdefault.jpg

Cha Soo-Hyun and Kim Jin-Hyuk are still going strong after one year. This time, Jin-Hyuk is even thinking about marriage.

Happy ending for the network as well as the K-drama

Most K-drama fans are happy that Encounter ended the way it did (happily ever after). As for tvN, they are happy too as the K-drama ended on a high note both domestically and internationally. 

According to the viewership ratings provided by AGB Nielsen Korea, the final episode earned 11.161 percent viewership for Seoul and 8.678 percent for Korea. The series on average was 10.704 percent for Seoul and 8.475 percent for Korea.

Once again, tvN is a Korean cable (pay) network so viewership would relatively be lower than free-to-watch networks like SBS, KBS, or MBC. Anything scoring over two percent is considered good and the fact this K-drama hit double-digit viewership for Seoul means it was a major success.

Internationally, Encounter did very well at least in the Americas. Exclusive to streaming site Rakuten Viki, it is the second most-popular/trending K-drama. The only K-drama to be more popular/trending is Thirty But Seventeen.

What is next now that Encounter has concluded? 

Since Encounter just recently concluded, we have no news on what the cast and crew will be doing next.

As for the time slot, it will be occupied by upcoming tvN K-drama Touch Your Heart. Even though the K-drama has yet to air, it is already getting plenty of attention among fans as it reunites Goblin co-stars Yoo In-Na and Lee Dong-Wook.

For K-drama fans who are interested in see why Encounter was so popular, the entire series is available to watch, for free with ads, on Rakuten Viki....source credit @https://www.monstersandcritics.com/kdrama/encounter-finale-tvn-series-starring-park-bo-gum-and-song-hye-kyo-concludes-like-most-romantic-k-dramas-earns-high-viewership/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Encounter” Cast Says Their Farewells As Drama Comes To An End

“Encounter” Cast Says Their Farewells As Drama Comes To An End

Jan 26, 2019
by L. Kim

Farewell, “Encounter!” The hit tvN drama starring Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo has come to an end.

With the airing of the finale, the cast shared their closing feelings and comments. On January 25, Song Hye Kyo expressed her gratefulness to the viewers for loving the drama and uploaded a behind-the-scenes clip with her co-star Park Bo Gum.

Through Blossom Entertainment, Park Bo Gum shared, “Hello! This is Park Bo Gum. After reading the script for ‘Encounter’ for the first time, I filmed it half with anticipation and half with excitement. Of course, I was deeply immersed in the warm thrill and aftertaste of the work, as well as the beautiful scenes in Cuba.”

Then he commented about his character Kim Jin Hyuk, saying, “I think Jin Hyuk caught my eye because he was similar to me and I had a lot to learn from him. I learned a lot from Jin Hyuk, who gave warmth to his family, friends, lovers, and others, and I think the viewers liked him and cheered for him because of this.”

He added, “Thank you again to the directors, writers, and all the crew members who worked hard to create a good production in the cold weather. I hope that ‘Encounter’ will be remembered in the hearts of viewers for a long time like a fairy tale.”

Spoiler

Park-Bo-Gum3.jpg

Kim Joo Heon had played Lee Dae Chan, one of Kim Jin Hyuk’s good friends. He uploaded a photo of a hand-written letter on Salt Entertainment’s Instagram that read, “I received ‘love’ and ‘consideration’ through the drama ‘Encounter’ and learned ‘courage’ and ‘warmth’ from Dae Chan. Thank you for loving ‘Encounter’ all this time.”

Baek Ji won, who had played Kim Jin Hyuk’s mother, commented, “I learned many things during the time I was with my long-cherished ‘Encounter,’ and I was happy. I feel sorry and sad to say good-bye to the characters I’ve been with all this time. The cast and crew worked every hard. I really appreciate the viewers who have loved ‘Encounter’. Thank you.”

Spoiler

Baek-Ji-Won.jpg

Jeon So Nee became well-known through “Encounter” with her realistic acting. Despite the fact that this was her first drama since her debut, she perfectly captured the emotions of her character’s friendship and unrequited love with Kim Jin Hyuk and received the support and affection of viewers at the same time.

The actress commented, “I can’t believe it’s already the end. It doesn’t feel real. I was worried because it was my first drama, but fortunately, I met such great actors and got a lot of help. Thanks to them, I was able to adjust to the scene in no time.”

Then she expressed her gratefulness to the viewers, saying, “Thank you so much for supporting Hye In [her character]. While acting, I looked at things from her perspective, and I always felt sorry for her. I was grateful that there were people besides me who thought so. Thank you for watching until the end.”

Spoiler

Jeon-So-Nee.jpg

In the drama, Kim Hye Eun played the role of Kim Sun Joo, the head of the public relations team of Donghwa Hotel with a strong yet supportive leadership. Through her label 1N1 Stars, she shared her final thoughts on the drama coming to an end. She said, “True love that overcame wealth and honor. I was very excited while participating in this drama. I am grateful to the teamwork with my co-stars on the public relations team. It was valuable to feel the energy of warm love. Thank you for loving me so much.”

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Eun.jpg

Go Chang Suk, who warmed viewers’ hearts with his generous character and soft charm in “Encounter,” expressed his gratitude. He said, “Thank you to all the viewers who loved ‘Encounter’. Nam Myeong Sik, the character I played, was like a shelter with a warm charm in it. I was happy to meet such a great character, and I also tried to make the audience feel comfortable. The directors and writers, who created a filming atmosphere that was as warm as the tender story, as well as the cast and crew worked hard. I will see you again with various works in the future.”

Spoiler

Go-Chang-Suk.jpg

“Encounter” ended on January 24 with a total of 16 episodes.

If you haven’t already, watch the final episode below: source credit @https://www.soompi.com/article/1298655wpp/encounter-cast-says-farewells-drama-comes-end

• Like 8
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @bebebisous33

May i add also that in one episode SH said that its " the right timing" that is preventing her to let JH enter her life ( i think its when they agreed to some relationship.

I missed 2 important details in ep 16.

When Jh entered Sh office telling her he won't break up, what is seen in the mirror is Jh, the whole of Jh. Before we can only see Sh, mostly her side profile.

And the green plant Jh gave to her when the cuban chaos came out is still there at her table.

Im little confused at the time frame between there break up and make up.

At the scene when sec. Jang told Sh abt the red box brought by JH , they were talking abt the meal of the orchestra at new year's event.

If both the break up and make up happened around march or april, i dont think they'll be discussing about new year. 

The snow fall ... it usually happens around december.

That " one year later"... does it really mean one whole year has passed or it just means the next year or the following year. I googled the hangul written, and it really  means one year later.

Spoiler

I don't think we can hear or see something about adlibs of bogum to shk...even bts of her are limited, usually on the safe side. I understand , she will only be bashed.

Who's able to move on?

Nah, its so early in the morning and im writing a post here:rolleyes:

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

I cant move on, rewatching the drama then listening to all the ost even reading youtube comments about SHK and PBG great chemistry... most comments are all positive and they want them to work together again just like us... im going crazy i miss Jinsoo couple so much:tears:  I really want then to win an awards this year so i can see them together again, i love them, what this drama did to me...

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, roshzanna said:

The snow fall ... it usually happens around december

Snow fall in korea is rare in feb/ early march.. but it does happen.. since they showed a light snow fall it is acceptable to be feb end:lol:

That " one year later"... does it really mean one wh

Yes it's one year after they get back together

they were talking abt the meal of the orchestra at new year's event.

I have to rewatch this.. were they discussing new year? Even korean new year is early feb.. so it can't be new year.

But I don't think thereis a time jump before breakup.. except for the new year line.. nothing else indicates time jump

• Like 4
  • Insightful 9

@bebebisous33

There you go. I was waiting for this analyses bout epi 15. Thank you! Now rhta makes more sense. :D Since before CSH decided she’ll be with some relationship wirh JH, she told Sec Jang that she was so frustrated with the “timing” of everything.

You know whats so amazing about their love? I have always thought, if there’s one thing greater than love, it’s TIME. Timing is everything. CSH and KJH showed that their love did not only defied gaps with age, social status, financial status but also, time.

I am so in love with this drama. 

It’s crazy how a really simple story makes me this hooked.

@roshzanna

I agree and it makes me really sad about all of it. I think thats also the reason why they didn’t follow the original plot about CSH having a kid in this drama. As I said, the story hits so close to home for SHK.

@stardustvoid

chingu, lets watch it from episode 1! :lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Cheryl295 said:

They showed clips of Jin Hyuk drunk scene at the fan meeting. I hope we can have English translation of what Park Bo Gum said. They also showed him roaming around Cuba. 

Congrats Encounter :wub:

Kind Translations from clips by @ahdrianaa in PBG’s forum (Thank you @ahdrianaa very much for translation and @gumtaek to find clips) 

I will bring only related Encounter’s behind the scene:

- PBG found KJH’s determination and manner of protecting CSH very impressive and cool.

The MC used his real name and he corrected her saying he was talking about KJH and not PBG himself otherwise it would sound like he was complimenting himself. he said he didn’t have time to practice for the fanmeeting since they were busy with the drama. 

- He was talking about the drunk scene, he said he was embarrassed performing the scene. In personal life he doesn’t like drinking; therefore, he found it difficult and awkward even during the reading rehearsals.

However he is thankful to everyone for enjoyingthe scene. The MC told him that he did a very good job, his performance was very natural and reminiscent of a green grape (very fresh) which made everyone laugh.

==============

From @roshzanna‘s question about orchestra in New Year and @nikirinfo:

I thought that it should orchestra rehearsal for marriage events which PR team is preparing, rather than international New Year or Korean New Year because KJH gave the couple ring on February 16 which passed both New Year. 

KJH&CSH’s relationship in Encounter is from September 2018(Encounter in Cuba)to March 2020(proposed for marriage at the village) if the time jump is only one after reconcilation to marriage proposal.

Or did we not catch up some more info?

• Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 4

@dukesa1122 I will soon, but it just won’t be the same you know? This drama turned me into a greed monster. A greed monster who is now starving but knows will never be fed again. LOL, what an analogy.

Maybe it’s time to slowly move on :lol: but how?? 

PDnim, what did you do to us! How can you cast two stellar actors with explosive chemistry and just give us 16 episodes? Hmm?

• Like 6
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1

bogum will promote encounter in all his upcoming Fan Meeting like his previous FM.  because of his FM back in 2017,  Reply 88 and MDBC rerun in national tv & tvn asia in some asian countries. 

@stardustvoid @dukesa1122  we could rewatch it and write our thoughts or some of reply drama fan rewatched for 3 , 4 times . they all made a schedule and rewatched it. but only for below drama  thread .

Spoiler

• Like 9
  • Love 3

@dukesa1122 lol yes, that’s my thing. No matter how good a drama is. That’s why it’s so hard for me to get invested in a drama/tv show because I know it’ll end someday and yet here I am. 

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring down your mood, chingu!

I’ll still hang around this thread and wait for the director’s cut dvd, should it be released :P

Spoiler

And wish upon all the stars in the night sky that our onscreen OTP will get to work in a drama again someday

———————————

By the way, someone posted several pages back that the song “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz reminded her of our OTP. It came up in playlist a while ago and OMG it suits Jinsoo perfectly! I wonder if the writer is a fan of Jason Mraz lol, what with the reference to stars and all. Here are the lyrics

Spoiler

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am

I won't give up on us
I'm still looking up, I'm still looking up.

Well, I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)

I won't give up on us
I'm still looking up

Okay. This has become another totally random post. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

eventhough i do not understand the above tweet, i posted it here as someone said she is famous actress in PH and watching encounter.

his monster drama name is " i remember you' ( Hello Monster). i post some yt video with his clip from drama ( some are fan made and 1 is drama ost)  @dukesa1122

Spoiler

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2