[Drama 2018-2019] My only one, 하나뿐인 내편

0ly40

36 minutes ago, jasmine19 said:

Do-Ran’s decision to care for grandma: The right thing

Do-Ran’s decision to help grandma might look questionable. After all, the grandma’s family members have treated her very poorly.

It is to be noted that Do-Ran's feelings for the grandma are independent from her feelings to Dae-Ryook. In fact, she had liked the grandma before she liked Dae-Ryook. In turn, the grandma also likes Do-Ran and is her strongest defender.

It is true that the grandma could not prevent her divorce. However, even a poor family could not accept Do-Ran if her dad turns out to be a convict with murder charge (Mr. Kang is not a murderer; however, nobody knows it at present).

The grandma, at heart, most likely still wishes Do-Ran as her granddaughter-in-law. This shows when she scolds both Dae-Ryook & the new girl at the dining table. However, she is the head lady of a big family and company. Thus, she has to maintain the family and company honors and has to accept the divorce.

Therefore, Do-Ran’s decision to care for the grandma is the right thing. This shows that she has a noble heart and she also needs to do that for her own peace of mind.

Her relationship with Dae-Ryook is another matter. She doesn't lack of option as she has another suitor. She may start afresh with Tae-Pung or remarry Dae-Ryook.

Its not really a separate matter at all she loves grandma just as much as she loves WDR thats why its been so hard on her.She has showed zero interest in the other guy  and him in the other girl not sure what is  purpose was of these characters.

Also WDR still calls her dad father after all of this, these are all unbreakable bonds at this point.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I can imagine that WDR's mother and DY herself will be ultimately fine with taking either DR or her father's liver to save GR, since DR and her father's lives just don't matter. They are more like animals who can be slaughtered for consumption or something.

It is truly painful and just wrong to keep extending this abuse and lack of humanity. I hope the writer redeems herself and make things right, even though I doubt it. 

@stroppyse

" YR's mother refused to let her son be tested. "

YR''s mother informed whether true or false that her son had been diagnose with fatty liver (지방간,脂肪肝) from his last medical examination

Go Rae needs 70% of his liver replace, when Mi Ran cries to Do Ran, she mentioned she is not a match

From the preview, Mr Kang is a match for Go Rae but Do Ran fear that her father is taking a great fatality risk to donate. Do Ran mentioned that she will donate instead (whether or not she had already tested her liver as a match), of course father & daughter tussle over the risks in the transplant

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

On the one hand, it shows the kind of hypocrisy the unsavory characters of this drama live through. DR and her father are literally untouchables except when they are necessary.

However, this drama has such persistently petty, hypocritical, narcissistic, nasty characters, that it makes for tiring viewing. I'm not sure how this drama intends to approach it, but so far, according to the characterizations expressed in this drama, I can imagine that WDR's mother and DY herself will be ultimately fine with taking either DR or her father's liver to save GR, since DR and her father's lives just don't matter. They are more like animals who can be slaughtered for consumption or something.

Sorry to cut your post, that’s why I hope when HJ finds out about it, which it doesn’t look she is from the preview, I hope she screams at her sister and DY and give them piece of her mind.  And i don’t know about you’ll, i know that Kang has broken up with HJ and they are no where where they should be sharing this kinds of stuff, but i kind of wish Kang would tell HJ.  After all, they were couples for very long time.  Idk, i would if sincerely care for that person.  I feel so sorry for my poor HJ, she has been crying and aching over Kang for the past 10 episodes.  

Question for people who are in the medical field, can two people donate the same thing (liver) to another person?  And how risk is it to donate liver?  Is live threatening? 

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I guess I shouldn't continue to keep watching this drama, even if it is so close to the end since I have such antipathy to so many of the characters. I can just watch the clips of the grandmother becoming an avenging angel while in the grips of her dementia instead. As sad as dementia is, the grandmother pulling on various people's hair and smacking them around for not acting like humans is pretty entertaining and possibly the saving grace of this drama, for me at least.

That's basically what I've been doing - just watching short clips w/o subs lol. And I don't even watch all the clips KBS posts on Youtube, just those related to Mr. Kang. Can't be bothered to check out the others honestly.

3 hours ago, luvabe said:

That's basically what I've been doing - just watching short clips w/o subs lol. And I don't even watch all the clips KBS posts on Youtube, just those related to Mr. Kang. Can't be bothered to check out the others honestly.

Yes me too. The evil characters make me sick. Only kang and Doran are worth watching and the haelmoni of course 

6 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, both Hong Joo and Da Ya's livers were too small for the liver transplant. GR's condition is so advanced that he needs a significant amount of liver, more than HJ or DY could safely transplant. GR's mother's liver was not healthy enough with her older age contributing to it.

Do-Ran’s plan to donate liver: Questionable

Do-Ran is a female and thinner than Go-Ran’s female family members (Hong-Sil, Hong-Joo, Da-Ya). Most probably her liver is equal to or smaller in size than those of the family members. If liver operation on the females is dangerous, it would be dangerous on Do-Ran, too. Thus, if Do-Ran plans to donate her liver, her plan is questionable.

Mr Kang's plan to donate liver: Understandable

Mr Kang is a man. His body is bigger than these women, and thus an operation on him may be more doable, even though it is still dangerous, due to the amount of required liver tissue.

I'm actually rather uncomfortable with the direction that this drama is taking with GR's liver transplant.

I agree that the ethics regarding this transplant is very problematic, considering the high risk that Mr Kang would face and the family's poor treatment on him and Do-Ran.

Viewers know that Mr Kang is not guilty of murder. However, Mr Kang, at present, does not know that he is not a murderer. Thus, from his viewpoint, this is an opportunity to atone for his (supposed) mistake that took Da-Ya’s dad’s life. He would do his best  to redeem his and Do-Ran's honors. In addition, he loves Hong-Joo. He would also do his best to save his beloved's nephew.

Watching this drama: Please continue 

Saying all that, I guess I shouldn't continue to keep watching this drama, even if it is so close to the end since I have such antipathy to so many of the characters.

I sincerely hope that you may continue to watch and grace us with your presence, as comments add to our understanding & enjoyment. Besides, we need to root for our good leads, including our sweet Do-Ran, brave Mr Kang,  hapless Dae-Ryook, smiley Tae-Pung, and, last but not least, our hair-pulling ‘avenging angel’.

Ive been watching lots of Korean drama, but this could be the only drama by far that have lots of characters that i couldn't understand or bear to watch

How come they are being so shameless Hongshil, Eun Young, Daya, Miran's mother and even Miran herself..

49 minutes ago, angelangie said:

as much as i like DoRan to be back together with WR somehow i think their separation might be for the best....

which is why i think 'My Only One' should be 'My Only Way' they have too many obstacles in between....and too many scars....we have been taught to forgive and forget however there will be things that will always stay in the back of your memories...

both WDR and DR need new beginning away from each other

What would this solve? Making them both miserable for the rest of their lives? For things they had nothing to do with?  If characters did this we would not have drama couples lol

Who to say they wont encounter just as bad hardships in the future with other people?With this atleast everything is on the table now.

I always dislike couples being punish because  of family.If either of them where terrible people  or their own issues where causing problems  sure but its is  they both love each other and deserve that happiness  despite the hardships.

Her dad does not want that nor does grandma.

16 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

It would be amazing if he wakes up with his name cleared 

Lol I told my wife that is what is going to happen. He is going to be in a coma all next weekend but when he wakes up on the last Saturday episode, his name will be cleared. 

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

as much as i like DoRan to be back together with WR somehow i think their separation might be for the best....

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

I always dislike couples being punish because  of family.If either of them where terrible people  or their own issues where causing problems  sure but its is  they both love each other and deserve that happiness  despite the hardships.

I understand that Do-Ran & Dae-Ryook still deeply love each other. However, they also have a very heavy past baggage.

They may be able to overcome the baggage. In this case, it is best for them to reunite. Even here, the past hurt may never heal completely.

However, as the baggage involves not only themselves but also their families, they might fail to do so. In this case, they need to go their separate ways, even though they might not be able to forget each other completely. 

It is for these reasons that I previously stated:

13 hours ago, jasmine19 said:

Her relationship with Dae-Ryook is another matter. She doesn't lack of option as she has another suitor. She may start afresh with Tae-Pung or remarry Dae-Ryook.

In life, often the choice is not between the good and the bad, but the more unsatisfactory and the less unsatisfactory. That is the reality.

So while I too found the search for a liver a little uncomfortable, I really liked the latest episode and the direction things are going now. I’m actually looking forward to next week. 

Preview to Episode 50

Mr Kang goes into hepatic coma

Doctor: His status is in the state unconsciousness (coma)

Mrs Wang: Do Ran asked you to be together with her

Chairman Wang: Do Ran will think that you are making her a burden

Mrs Kim: I just had a dream (태몽 conception dreams) that in law's living room had appear in golden Zucchini (Hobak).....I think our Mi Ran is pregnant

Do Ran: All this while, Appa you must be very tired with hardship...whatever Appa you have done, what to do that you can't seem to escape from the past...Appa...you should then leave....let end this

Dae Ryeok: It is a 30 years old killing case...will you able to help me find out whether I could find the Court transcript & documents related to the case

Apparently Koreans are still very much interested in this drama. The ratings reached a new high today: 46.2% nationwide, 44.7% Seoul. Good for the cast and crew; at least their efforts are not going to waste :) 

Archived