[Drama 2018] The Guest, 손

jeijei

4 hours ago, alekaonu said:

Annyeong @uglypearl I'm sorry to know that you had nightmare after watching the horror scenes. In fact, I too worry I will get nightmare too but so far its good.....no nightmare! Certain scenes in The Guest really gave me the creeps that I need to peek through my fingers, sometimes a piece of transparent cloth :D. Episode 12 gave me the creeps as there's the ugly Park Il Do and the old Shaman also very creepy looking, in fact she looked more a ghost instead of a human. I salute the actress for playing that part so well that she looked so ugly and creepy.

Annyeong @bebebisous33 chingu, what's your take on Ep12? I think I have not seen your insight about it yet or did I miss it?

No, you didn't miss anything. I have just finished watching the two last episodes. Honestly, I don't find all this scary. Sure, it is dark but strangely I am not affected.

So now let's go back to the identity of Park Il Do. What caught my attention is how PID died. He sacrificed his child and his wife before committing suicide. So there are three persons who are linked to PID's death. Then we have three persons trying to catch him too:

- HP

- GY

- priest Choi Yoon

As you can see, the number three is important. Therefore I came to this idea: what if there are two other people in the end working for PID? PHJ and someone in the police... like KY's superior. Sure, the person who visited BS was an acquaintance of BS... therefore it was a colleague. Let just say that KY's superior always kept an eye on her... just like father Yang is keeping an eye on priester Yang. 

Yang is definitely connected to PID. He could be PID himself. Nevertheless father Yang is trying to break the bound and trust between HP and CY. Moreover, we hear from PHJ's father that she looks a lot like PID. So maybe she is possessed by the spirit of PID's child. She is "his daughter". This would explain why he helps her all this time. Then this would mean that the other spirit attached to PID could be his wife. In my opinion, PID is aiming at HP as he recognized HP's shaman powers. If he came to possess HP, then he would become even more powerful. If father Yang is PID, I have the impression that he just waited until the exorcism spell would stop working.  In other words, his days as father Yang are numbered. This could be also an explanation why he is caught drinking more and more and why he has been targeting HP's family. He needs him to lose his whole family.

@zenya22  @Dramanoona Let me know what you think...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bebebisous33

By coincidence I was rewatching Arang and the Magistrate - and the premise about living forever was mentioned.

PID definitely wants to go on forever and he accumulates power with every evil deed completed.

HP is more likely to be viewed as a viable host.

We found out in the previous episode that the wards holding the spirit in HP was weakening and PID will now come with full force.

By possessing his father and the pain felt by the grandfather is to weaken HP even further and let PID in. A being which will feel no pain - that would be the temptation that HP could fall into. If Mateo and GY as well as Yun Kwang stay steadfastly beside him, he has the strength to continue because he wants to protect his friends.

I also believe that Father Yang is the current host for PID. [That upside down cross was a sign of the evil PID as HP also noticed that there was no nail which could explain an accidental inversion - inverted cross = big no-no]

Then to listen to Father Yang explain to Mateo that it was a test for HP. Hah!

After they save GY, the next biggest battle will be for HP's soul. And I think it will be epic. Unfortunately, I feel that we will experience another death - Yun Kwang- which will tip the scales more towards PID.

With regards to GY's superior - I would think that he was not affected - until he went with his superior and met with PHJ. He was pretty freaked out by PHJ and he Twas just a typical boss until that meeting.

OMO...amount of running that KJW had to do. I feel so sorry for him. LOL.

Plus it's aways great to see the BTS where they are trying to make the atmosphere less gloomy.

•  

@Dramanoona I actually found out about this little fact of the inverted cross, that many dramas seems to portray it a little wrongly and therefore having the misconception that it is bad.  The inverted cross doesn't mean that it's stands for evil, but it is actually from the history of one of the saints that wanted to be crucified inverted because he felt that he couldn't be crucified the way Jesus did. But we will just treat it as it is haha.

The cross scene it leads two ways honestly, the first way is that PY is just bad at lying, trying to test HP for reals. The second way is like you mentioned. 

But anyways, back to theory wise, if Yuk Gwang dies, that would really make Hwa Pyung go all out crazy. I have a feeling after the ward scene that Hwa Pyung have Parts of PID in him, maybe it like, PID knows that Hwa Pyung is getting that suppress ritual, he fears that he would not be able to do evil after the ritual, so he separates himself from Hwa Pyung first because at the same time he doesn't want to lose Hwa Pyung who is a really good host. 

He waits for the ritual to wear off to get back his other half in Hwa Pyung to become as powerful as he once was (Hence he always orders spirts to do things but tense to not do it himself)

Guest aoikarin

I rewatched the drama from ep 1-4 and here's my summary:

1. Hwa Pyung

HP has a very strong psychic power. He has great power and become the obsession of PID to possess his body. When PID possessed him, PID got rid all people HP loves (since love will makes HP stronger against PID). After his mom and grandma died, I think young HP fought so hard not to hurt other people but hurting himself. The suppressed power ritual on young HP weakened and lock his psychic power along PID's power. That's why after the ritual, young HP was very sick until Choi priest and Yang Priest came to visit HP. Right after, those 2 priests left his house, HP was able to see through his right eyes again. So..I think, most of the soul of PID managed to escape (barely) from HP's body and moved to Priest Yang, however it left a little fragment of its soul (trapped) in HP's body. In ep, 4 as HP's power's seal almost worn off, he saw the trapped PID's soul in his dream (the scene at YG's house where HP couldn't move his body and saw powerless PID in the corner of the bedroom). In ep 4, the wicked souls told HP that Hp is a hunter but also a predator. Hunter represent him as a potential powerful shaman/psychic, while predator is a fragment of PID trapped in his body. 

2. Choi Yoon

After his brother brutally murdered their parents, Choi Yoon was sent to orphanage. Based on the conversation of HP with the head of  orpanage, Young Choi Yoon was a loner and never had a friend. (I'm glad that Hwa Pyung and Det Kang are his very first and second same age friends) He was bullied, creepy and suffered mental illness as he often talked to himself. He even attempted suicide, and was hospitalized (mental hospital?). He was taken by a relative right he went to high school and ended up become an exorcist priest. I love how CY got out of his depression and became a very strong HANDSOME exorcist priest.

3. Priest Yang

I'm very sure that PID has been possessing Priest Yang since he met young HP. The moment he left HP house, HP is able to see again through his right eye. in ep 4, PY told HP that he quit being exorcist Priest right after Choi Priest Incident. I think he wouldn't be to perform any exorcism since PID is possessing him. It's strange that PY never wanted to find out and tried to fight the evil spirit that possessed CY's brother 20 years ago. Why does he need to drink lots of alcohol when he never done any exorcism for the last 20 years? PY leads sharing hands organisation which most of the possessed victims related to sharing hands.

More hints about PY indicates as PID in the next eps : PY adores PHJ who is very similar to PID persoon. The ghost of HP's dad gave a hint to HP that PY has made a call to his hostel in order to possess him.  How he tried so hard to make Mateo doubt about HP. The face he made everytime PID mentioned. He's so interested (more to obsessed) in HP being PID while he never done anything for the last 20 years about CY's brother incident. 

4. Kang

I love everything about this girl. She's very attractive on the outside but everything she does and speaks are very contradict to her appearance. Hahahahhaha. She's extremely smart. she's very quick to see what's happening. She's ruthless and super badass. she's consistent to her younger version. she never changed, very bad temper. she's a loner just like HP and CY. I'm glad she has them as her trusted friends. 

I found it surprising that PID is scared/concerned/angry with our trio. I mean they are after PID and goes on poking around here and there to catch him but still I thought he was pretty superior and overwhelming to our trio. They had to struggle even when they were facing smaller spirits. But him trying to split our guys makes it clear that they are a formidable enemy to PID and they can put up a winning fight if they are together.

Anyone thinks that the comeback of HP's psychic power can be considered as good thing? As we see, his dad appeared to give HP a hint about that call. How can i say... many good/innocent people have died since the beginning of the drama. They could be a very helpful source if HP could see them.

And also i always wonder about HP's mom and grandmom. It is not clear that how they died. And when HP asks Seoyoon if there is someone beside him, Seoyoon's expression is kinda... weird. Like maybe there is someone beside him but they give a sign to Seoyoon to dont let HP know?

even though i really want to know who is PID and how the drama will end. But seriously when it does end, i will miss the days like this: guessing, reading other's opinion, discussing about the drama...

@aoikarin I really enjoyed reading your comment. I also think like you, however there are certain things that are still bothering. First of all, who really killed HP's mother and HP's grandmother? HP thinks, he did but we were never clearly shown if he was the culprit. Then I also noticed a certain pattern. Once a possessed person has killed someone due to certain grudges aso, the former will commit suicide at the end (HP's father, CSH, the possessed brother, aso). In the case of HP's mother and grandmother, the first fell from the cliff and the other committed suicide. So what if the grandmother was the one who killed her daughter-in-law and killed herself later? Moreover, if you think about it, before HP got possessed, his own grandfather got attacked first. To conclude, his family had always been targeted by PID.

Then we hear from Lee Chul Yong's son that PID had always been weird and he killed several people. He was only kicked out, when a cousin became a victim. What caught my attention is that LCY asPID's driver was so loyal to him. He even followed him to that village, when the latter was banished. If PID had been such a murderer, then why did he follow him? If PID had been so vicious, evil aso.... and he knew about the rumors, then why didn't he quit his job? Why did he run towards him, when he saw the child and wife killed on the beach and he tried to stop PID? If he was so dangerous... he should have run away. 

The spirits keep saying that HP is one of us. Yet we saw that HP had been outcast by the villagers and suffered a lot through rumors and gossips. Moreover, his own grandfather tried to get rid of him... so maybe the spirits meant something else: he is one of us, someone who has been banished, outcast, just like PID's name had been erased from that register family. I also noticed that the spirits hold deep grudges towards humans. The possessed persons were always after people who hurt them, when they were not possessed (the CEO, the colleagues from the boyfriend, SY's mother, HP's father, aso). Then we hear that that family Park became very rich during Japanese occupation. So maybe this family got rich thanks to PID, but once he was no longer necessary, they decided to erase his existence. I have the impression that the family Park has been hiding a secret. Even PHJ had never heard about him before she met him.

@alekaonu @zenya22

@bebebisous33 I think it's Father Yang or Mateo who said that possessed people tend to commit suicide afterwards. Also, grudge is a window for demons to enter a person's body, says Mateo. 

Some viewers are also suspecting gran to have killed the mom due to that same manner of death. It's possible since we still don't know what really happened back then. 

There's more to PID's story than the legend. This reminds me of the recent Tomb Raider movie plot.

11 hours ago, aoikarin said:

I love how CY got out of his depression and became a very strong HANDSOME exorcist priest.

Hi @aoikarin I can't help smiling when I read this part. Yup he is indeed a very handsome priest. I have never seen such handsome and attractive priest yet in person hahahahahahaha

I enjoy reading your write-up on Hwapyung, Mateo (Choiyoon), Father Yang and Detective Kang.

I think the part which the possessed partner drank water and the scene switched to HP drinking is a plot to distract us. it's to make us think that PID is indeed in HP but I don't think so. HP didn't drink the water all in one go as if deprived from water unlike the rest of the possessed. What do you think? @bebebisous33

I believe the Trio Hero will defeat PID in the end but I'm not sure if its a happy ending or not. If it is a happy ending then its a great bonus for all of us :P

I agree that for some of you who like to watch hardcore horror movies won't find The Guest that scary. I find The Guest scary because of the story, I'm too engrossed in the story that goosebumps appeared. In the actual real world, I have to confess that twice I have seen "ghosts" and they were not that scary as they didn't try to scare me. Maybe if the lady ghost did show me her face, I might be horrified! :blink: Its by accident that I saw them, normally I'm quite immune to strange sounds and the unseen.

I know now of two people who only thought Guest was good after the second episode.

My brother was like, 'it's not interesting' but once he watched the next few episodes after the first episode, he agreed it was a good drama which felt like a movie.

I may braving what will happen in the next episode as it looks like we will focus on GY and her partner. It must be tough knowing that your partner had so much resentment towards you which seems to have spilled out during the car ride.

I will be recapping if I get a stable connection. Hope for more discussion then!

13 hours ago, jeijei said:

Some viewers are also suspecting gran to have killed the mom due to that same manner of death. It's possible since we still don't know what really happened back then. 

I just re watched episode 1 briefly.. when they did a close up to grandma's face, her right eye was not stabbed.

Not sure why she was dripping wet though.

However, I find it weird that young HP's left hand was shaking/trembling violently and his right hand appeared to be "holding" his hand back. 

After a while, he stood up abruptly and next we know was morning and his mother's body was floating in the water. 

So many questions after rewatching.

I can't shake off the feeling that HP was not possessed by PID or anyone at the first place.

21 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

I just re watched episode 1 briefly.. when they did a close up to grandma's face, her right eye was not stabbed.

Not sure why she was dripping wet though.

However, I find it weird that young HP's left hand was shaking/trembling violently and his right hand appeared to be "holding" his hand back. 

After a while, he stood up abruptly and next we know was morning and his mother's body was floating in the water. 

So many questions after rewatching.

I can't shake off the feeling that HP was not possessed by PID or anyone at the first place.

So many questions remain but yet there is only four episodes left...Hwa Pyung, Choi Yoon and Gil Young’s past and current is so tragic... :tears:

I kind of doubted Hwa Pyung being able to like hang his grandmother, I’m pretty sure that the tree is so high up...As for the mother..is unanswered, I can’t throw in and say that it’s not Hwa Pyung either, could PID have gotten control of the two woman and just force them to kill themselves? 

I think we will get our answers soon. Because if you notice the two deaths, they didn’t really show anything but just shots of them dead. It’s kind of like Priest Yoon’s death. (They show his corpse first, then you have Hwa Pyung’s father recounting the incident.) I also don’t believe that no one have witness anything. 

It also makes me wonder what Hwa Pyung’s Father was trying to say to Hwa Pyung.. Before he died.

So...I have heard that the final episode’s script book have been confirmed that means the ending is fixed...Ah...I can’t wait to see how it ends, hope that it will not be a bad ending, but of a best possible ending. 

The last day that the cast is going to film would be on 31 Oct, even the dates are settled...No...I Don’t want it to end...I want to see them more...Get ready to feel the loneliness on Wednesday and Thursday after this series is done.:bawling:

Edit:They are still going strong at filming, let’s be strong and embrace the impending ending and detachment of this drama.

i read it further and I will try to translate It: “Many questioned about who is PID(As their main focus point)but those who have read the EP16 script said that there would be a even bigger twist.” (my Chinese isn’t really good ^^”)Like there is going to be something bigger than the question of who is PID.

Then they also say that: Currently there are two candidates for PID, it’s either PY or HP, but if it’s not the both of them...There is another theory given by the source that PID might not be even real in the first place.

This is hyping up things!

Heol....

This is really building the curiousity of fans.

Don't tell me it's actually folie a deux?

"The term “folie a deux,” coined by Lasegue and Falret in 1877, also known as shared psychotic disorder, induced delusion disorder, psychosis of association, or double insanity, describes a syndrome in which paranoid delusions are transferred from one individual to one or more other susceptible person(s)."

Hopefully doesn't go down the Life on Mars route....

Imagine is CY *dundundaaa*

At this point, I don’t even want to brainstorm as to who PID really is :joy: cause I just want to look at the ending and if my theory fails at least I wouldn’t feel bumped about it.

*Just let my brain rest and watch how the writer will end it* the drama damaged our brain too much on the question of “Who is PID”

Woah! I just managed to stop by this thread (just managed to breath a little from work piles :D). So many discussions, theories and opinions I need to catch up! And I have to binge-watch from episode 8 to understand what is going on! Haha! :lol:

Looks like the drama is ending in next week. Gosh! Time flies so fast! I am not ready to let go our trio yet! :huh:

Archived