[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

9 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

Flower boy looking DH would be blasphemy! 

It would throw off the dynamics of FJxDH relationship. I am actually thankful to TMOPB for casting Vengo as the first DH. Otherwise, we might really get a flower boy DH if fans have their way.

Love and Destiny, despite it's great story didn't make it big due to the casting of Chang Chen. It is such a shame that a lot of reviews I have read pointed to the old male lead. Ugh, Chang Chen's acting was too notch!!!! ELoD at first also suffered the same but DH melted all the ice away eventually and people fell in love with him left and right!!

Vengo's age and his maturity suited the role, perfect timing, fated to be his. 

The male lead in love and destiny gives off 'father's vibe' for me, with grown up children :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: Mark Chao's MY didn't have this vibe even with beard and mustache :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:^_^

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

Flower boy looking DH would be blasphemy! 

It would throw off the dynamics of FJxDH relationship. I am actually thankful to TMOPB for casting Vengo as the first DH. Otherwise, we might really get a flower boy DH if fans have their way.

Love and Destiny, despite it's great story didn't make it big due to the casting of Chang Chen. It is such a shame that a lot of reviews I have read pointed to the old male lead. Ugh, Chang Chen's acting was too notch!!!! ELoD at first also suffered the same but DH melted all the ice away eventually and people fell in love with him left and right!!

Vengo owned the DH role. Just by the height alone, he's DH. I can not imagine a flower boy DH. Actually, the closest I can feel who can also be DH is the TMOPB Bai Zhen. 

The fans should not be so obnoxious to act as if they know better. They are also right, but not always. The people in charge for casting would know the artist's calibre better than fans. 

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Vengo owned the DH role. Just by the height alone, he's DH. I can not imagine a flower boy DH. Actually, the closest I can feel who can also be DH is the TMOPB Bai Zhen. 

96def47255425788.JPG

If they had to cast a 'younger look' I think this might possibly cut it for me (caveat I haven't seen him act and don't know if he can carry of DH's arrogance),  and I can't find a pix of him with silver/white hair... LOL... so I won't know if it would go well with him. Also, he's way shorter than Vengo...

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

The hope Three Lives Three Worlds will have a third sequel with the same cast.They haven't show us how Qingqiu or Nine Heavens reaction of Bai Gun Gun.And I heard they will have a little princess according to the writer so maybe she is writing another sequel? I hope she is and I also hope it will be make into a drama with the same cast especially Vengo Gao and Dilreba.

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm trying very hard to picture both TMOPB and ELOD Bai Zhen as DH. He's too sweet looking and gentle in nature. Besides having the height, the actor must possess extremely thick skin and the ultimate death glare. A bit difficult to even list who can second V as DH. :huh:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Putting all the translations into one place

Someone (some pages back) asked the Translation Team (@Ninky @Yori Ten @nitepolaris @bertrande @SGahjumma) if we could put all the translations of Tang Qi's work into one place, like a sticky note of sorts but soompi forum does not offer such features and there's no way we can mark all of them as recommended posts as we would run out of space. So guess what we did???

We started a blog instead, and gathered all the out-takes (akin to an epilogue) and one-shots (one-off chapters) as well as the occasional humorous fan-fic we picked up. Not only that, we mentioned that we are in the midst of translating the 5,000-word Bodhi Fate that Tang Qi has written thus far - which we are also going to place in the blog. Also, to look out for, the latest post from Mi Gu (Tang Qi's assistant) as to why Xie Gu Zhou called Yan Chi Wu an idiot (last episode, just before Gun Gun totters in with Xie Gu Zhou)!

So, your next question would be, where's the blog, right and how soon can you see it? Well, it's progressing along as nicely as we can manage (while juggling with work, family and our sanity as we cope with the pandemic) and we hope to reveal it by the middle or the end of next week. Stay tuned in this forum and wait for our news, k?

Thumbs up to everyone! This team is truly awesome :glasses: 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

I'm trying very hard to picture both TMOPB and ELOD Bai Zhen as DH. He's too sweet looking and gentle in nature. Besides having the height, the actor must possess extremely thick skin and the ultimate death glare. A bit difficult to even list who can second V as DH. :huh:

The Bai Zhen of TMOPB looks edgier that the Bai Zhen of ELOD. Yu Menglong is around 6ft, and had previously played a white haired character. Haven't watched that series though, I think Vengo was also in that one?

https://images.app.goo.gl/gzmNe4wPFNY1FTmj9

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The Bai Zhen of TMOPB looks edgier that the Bai Zhen of ELOD. Yu Menglong is around 6ft, and had previously played a white haired character. Haven't watched that series though, I think Vengo was also in that one?

Haven't seen it too. He resembled the pretty Legolas :wub: Not too sure if V is part of the cast

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

Haven't seen it too. He resembled the pretty Legolas :wub: Not too sure if V is part of the cast

Yeah, he does. He can glare too, in some pics, hahaha. But no one beats the Vengo's trademark DH glare yet :phew: Or that one eye look :lol:

Checked again and yeah, he and Vengo are in Xuan Yuan Sword! Where V wore purple too! :P

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 2

Was roaming around DC Gall and theqoo yesterday to read posts related to ELOD. 
People at theqoo loves to call Vengo as Guang-sama (I can't with the Japanese style Korean nicknames :lol:) and many agrees that his acting has 'improved' a lot in this drama while Reba is cute and amazing as was her performance in TMOPB. 

Aside from that, I also had an interesting read on Jaywalk and the women behind the company. 
For those who are interested, I summarized the gist. Still quite long so be warned: 

Spoiler

Jaywalk aka Jia Xing (嘉行) is the brainchild of CEO - Zeng Jia, COO (or AGM) - Zhao Ruo Yao and CFO - Lee Juan. 
The Jia (嘉) in Jia Xing is from CEO's name so for those who didn't know who's in charge...

Anyway, Zeng Jia (ZJ) used to manage schedules for Chen Kun (short period of time) and Zhou Xun (longest) under the company Rong Xin Da; Zhao Ruo Yao (ZRY) used to be ZJ's assistant. After Zhou Xun left the company, ZJ began managing schedules for Yang Mi (YM-a newbie at that time). Rong Xin Da (RXD) is a rather traditional company; most of their productions and/or artists' works revolves around films that have "meaningful message to the audience". And hence, YM's earlier works are mostly adaptation of classic literature or just 'proper' dramas with little or no controversies. During this period, Yang Mi suffered a lot of cases of being cut from final line-up even though she won the role earlier (ugh people using back-door methods to snatch roles <_<) and RXD can offer little to no help on these situations. So when her contract expires, ZJ and ZRY move with YM to a new company - Mei Ya (HK based company) and then 4 years later moved to Hwan Rui (HR). 

During YM's time at HR, she also worked with ZJ (holding a pretty high position at HR then) to produce the drama V-Love - this includes the casting of fresh faces for the drama. Casting is done only at the top 3 China drama schools and their 3 criterias are - good-looking, acts well and have 'good ethics'. ZJ wanted to 'push' these fresh faces but when she found HR have different directions and opinions on this, she decides to leave and build her own company. ZRY, YM and the 'fresh faces' followed shortly and Lee Juan (accountant for an entertainment company at that time), which ZJ and ZRY have known for more than 10 years, is persuaded to join them in setting up the company.

One of the company's goal is to be able to produce their own films and to do this, they will need to attract more capital. For a new company, this is no easy mission. They did a lot to achieve this goal but the most notable one is the agreement with SMG Pictures where they are required to buy certain amount of shares at X price with the condition that Jaywalk can produce Y amount of returns between 2015-2017. If the company is unable to achieve this target, or if key persons in management team or key artists (no names are provided but understood this meant YM and Hawick Liu) leaves the company, SMG holds the right to ask Jaywalk to buy back their shares at a higher price. And so, quantity of work becomes the norm of all artists in Jaywalk so that they can earn enough for the SMG agreement to stick. 

It is also clear that most companies including SMG agree to work or invest in the company during this period because of YM and her marketing worth. So YM became face of the company even though she owns less than 10% shares. She also works only on Jaywalk's productions that will feature junior actors/actresses of the company - even until today. Out of all these juniors, Dilireba is the first to earn wide and positive attention from audience for her acting in Diamond Lover, Pretty Li Hui Zhen and TMOPB. Shortly, the company begins duplicating the formula that pushed YM to irreplaceable stardom on Reba. If you're interested on details on YM, please read spoiler below. The formula proves working even after several years but it also places RB in the same dilemma as YM - she is now a household name with dozens of endorsements (aka $$$) and are being discussed all the time but again, not always for positive reasons. 

Spoiler

In the beginning, ZJ, ZRY and YM figured the fastest way for YM to be irreplaceable (aka not being easily cut from final line-ups) is when you are famous enough; and to be famous, you'll need exposure. So YM begins filming dramas/movies/variety shows back-to-back or sometimes with overlapping schedules so that the audience will remember her. Sure enough, YM became a household name after the drama "Palace" but the audience also grew tired of seeing her 'everywhere' with "little to no improvements on her acting"; established directors are also reluctant to cast her as they feel she is not sincere in her works. 

With these exposure, YM also became  the "hot-search queen" - everything she does attracts really high attention and large number of people discussing about it. This includes: co-star claiming his admiration for her on TV, her so-so quality movies that had high box office returns,  marriage and pregnancy, attitude controversy, her so-called affair with co-stars, divorce rumors, fan wars, etc. 

Most artists will usually find ways to cover the negativity floating around but, some claim, YM and her team did little to stop these topics from being discussed. The up-side of this is, she has achieved her goal and has really high marketing worth but the downside is, it attracts antis, people often associate her with bad acting / poor quality films and lastly, the breed of toxic fans. Toxic fans are often the self-righteous ones that think they are protecting their artists by attacking everyone that have negative comments about their beloved or 'weren't good enough' for her (this includes attacking her ex-husband on the tiniest matters i.e. not wishing YM happy birthday on WB on the dot). 

With the success of TMOPB, Jaywalk reached their target with flying colors (their net worth folded 200 times in 2 years) and increasing number of companies including Disney are willing to collaborate or work with Jaywalk to produce films. The latest notable collaboration is with Wanda (Chinese conglomerate) which include films like - YM's Thank You Doctor, RB's Love Advanced Customization (unofficial title according to Wikipedia) and Vengo's Xiang Yang Er Sheng (doctor-themed drama - no idea how to translate this, Chinese speakers please help :sweatingbullets:). Their collaboration with Wanda is not publicly announced yet so only a handful of netizens noticed. 

My opinion on this for Reba: 
Many fans often whines over how RB always work with the same group of people (aka the Jaywalk goodie bag) and the company is not doing enough for her. Even though I love her to bits, I think she is not really known for her acting today but more on marketing worth. So even if she moves to a new company, the same thing will happen unless she's willing to start from the bottom and take on smaller roles in 'better quality' films and roles with lower pay. But her rabid fans will start whining again on why she is not the lead and start creating havoc. Directors, in some ways are also artists that have their own ego. If an actress has high marketability but will cause headache for the project, they might prefer to not have them on board - especially when they are not known for their acting in the first place -_-. With Wanda's collaboration, I hope it means Jaywalk will have better variety of quality-films that allow Jaywalk artists (especially Reba) to polish their acting and be able to take on wider variety of roles. 

My opinion on this for Vengo: 
There are misconceptions that Vengo auditioned and won the roles in Miss S and XYES solely on his own so many of his fans also begin to whine and ask that he move on to other companies because he is able to 'stand on his own' now. While it is true that he managed to join auditions for Candle In The Tomb: The Wrath Of Time due to recommendations by his university lecturer (and also by accepting lower pay) and not via Jaywalk, his follow-up works, Miss S is a production of Jaywalk's partner (Tencent) and XYES is part of Jaywalk's higher quality production thanks to Wanda.

Why is XYES considered high quality? Answer: Director Liu Jia Cheng. Personally I have no idea who he is but supposingly for most Chinese viewers, this director's works = quality. But of course, not everything is because of Jaywalk and no effort required from Vengo. I think the director is able to accept Vengo as the male lead due to his performance and recommendations from the director and crew of CITT:TWOT - which are known as top-tier among Beijing's group of directors (aka the established directors). If director Liu isn't happy with him, I'm sure he has the power to kick Vengo out just like the first script of the drama (script is completely rewritten because the director is not satisfied with it). So yes, I believe Vengo is the first Jaywalk artist to be recognized and 'accepted' by established directors and who knows, maybe in the short future, he is really able to stand on his own and sign with a company that values quality (and money) more than anything else. 

TL;DR, the 3 women behind Jaywalk do not seem to be empty-headed bunch that only aims for $$$. I'm sure they know about Jaywalk's current reputation and, I hope, are working to improve this step by step.

Thanks for reading :blush:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 9
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@SC2019 This one of Yu Menglong

Though of course, Vengo still #1 as DH. :)

LEGOLAS!!! haha, I totally agree with @Wuzetian  I prefer him as Bai Zhen to the ELOD one.

Though I really can't imagine him with Reba. It would only work if they changed both the ML and FL. Frankly when I watched the movie for TMOPB, I couldn't accept the youngish look for YH. I think I would have the same issue, if they replaced someone young looking as DH. Though in the book, he DOES look young - so maybe if I have never seen Vengo, it might have worked. LOL.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

Someone (some pages back) asked the Translation Team (@Ninky @Yori Ten @nitepolaris @bertrande @SGahjumma) if we could put all the translations of Tang Qi's work into one place, like a sticky note of sorts but soompi forum does not offer such features and there's no way we can mark all of them as recommended posts as we would run out of space. So guess what we did???

We started a blog instead, and gathered all the out-takes (akin to an epilogue) and one-shots (one-off chapters) as well as the occasional humorous fan-fic we picked up. Not only that, we mentioned that we are in the midst of translating the 5,000-word Bodhi Fate that Tang Qi has written thus far - which we are also going to place in the blog. Also, to look out for, the latest post from Mi Gu (Tang Qi's assistant) as to why Xie Gu Zhou called Yan Chi Wu an idiot (last episode, just before Gun Gun totters in with Xie Gu Zhou)!

So, your next question would be, where's the blog, right and how soon can you see it? Well, it's progressing along as nicely as we can manage (while juggling with work, family and our sanity as we cope with the pandemic) and we hope to reveal it by the middle or the end of next week. Stay tuned in this forum and wait for our news, k?

Oh, I was the one who asked. :) This topic is getting longer by the day and that way people who join in later will not miss all the extra's. Thank you so much for all the effort!! Looking forward to the blog!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Applemintz said:

Was roaming around DC Gall and theqoo yesterday to read posts related to ELOD. 
People at theqoo loves to call Vengo as Guang-sama (I can't with the Japanese style Korean nicknames :lol:) and many agrees that his acting has 'improved' a lot in this drama while Reba is cute and amazing as was her performance in TMOPB. 

Aside from that, I also had an interesting read on Jaywalk and the women behind the company. 
For those who are interested, I summarized the gist. Still quite long so be warned: 

Reveal hidden contents

Jaywalk aka Jia Xing (嘉行) is the brainchild of CEO - Zeng Jia, COO (or AGM) - Zhao Ruo Yao and CFO - Lee Juan. 
The Jia (嘉) in Jia Xing is from CEO's name so for those who didn't know who's in charge...

Anyway, Zeng Jia (ZJ) used to manage schedules for Chen Kun (short period of time) and Zhou Xun (longest) under the company Rong Xin Da; Zhao Ruo Yao (ZRY) used to be ZJ's assistant. After Zhou Xun left the company, ZJ began managing schedules for Yang Mi (YM-a newbie at that time). Rong Xin Da (RXD) is a rather traditional company; most of their productions and/or artists' works revolves around films that have "meaningful message to the audience". And hence, YM's earlier works are mostly adaptation of classic literature or just 'proper' dramas with little or no controversies. During this period, Yang Mi suffered a lot of cases of being cut from final line-up even though she won the role earlier (ugh people using back-door methods to snatch roles <_<) and RXD can offer little to no help on these situations. So when her contract expires, ZJ and ZRY move with YM to a new company - Mei Ya (HK based company) and then 4 years later moved to Hwan Rui (HR). 

During YM's time at HR, she also worked with ZJ (holding a pretty high position at HR then) to produce the drama V-Love - this includes the casting of fresh faces for the drama. Casting is done only at the top 3 China drama schools and their 3 criterias are - good-looking, acts well and have 'good ethics'. ZJ wanted to 'push' these fresh faces but when she found HR have different directions and opinions on this, she decides to leave and build her own company. ZRY, YM and the 'fresh faces' followed shortly and Lee Juan (accountant for an entertainment company at that time), which ZJ and ZRY have known for more than 10 years, is persuaded to join them in setting up the company.

One of the company's goal is to be able to produce their own films and to do this, they will need to attract more capital. For a new company, this is no easy mission. They did a lot to achieve this goal but the most notable one is the agreement with SMG Pictures where they are required to buy certain amount of shares at X price with the condition that Jaywalk can produce Y amount of returns between 2015-2017. If the company is unable to achieve this target, or if key persons in management team or key artists (no names are provided but understood this meant YM and Hawick Liu) leaves the company, SMG holds the right to ask Jaywalk to buy back their shares at a higher price. And so, quantity of work becomes the norm of all artists in Jaywalk so that they can earn enough for the SMG agreement to stick. 

It is also clear that most companies including SMG agree to work or invest in the company during this period because of YM and her marketing worth. So YM became face of the company even though she owns less than 10% shares. She also works only on Jaywalk's productions that will feature junior actors/actresses of the company - even until today. Out of all these juniors, Dilireba is the first to earn wide and positive attention from audience for her acting in Diamond Lover, Pretty Li Hui Zhen and TMOPB. Shortly, the company begins duplicating the formula that pushed YM to irreplaceable stardom on Reba. If you're interested on details on YM, please read spoiler below. The formula proves working even after several years but it also places RB in the same dilemma as YM - she is now a household name with dozens of endorsements (aka $$$) and are being discussed all the time but again, not always for positive reasons. 

Reveal hidden contents

In the beginning, ZJ, ZRY and YM figured the fastest way for YM to be irreplaceable (aka not being easily cut from final line-ups) is when you are famous enough; and to be famous, you'll need exposure. So YM begins filming dramas/movies/variety shows back-to-back or sometimes with overlapping schedules so that the audience will remember her. Sure enough, YM became a household name after the drama "Palace" but the audience also grew tired of seeing her 'everywhere' with "little to no improvements on her acting"; established directors are also reluctant to cast her as they feel she is not sincere in her works. 

With these exposure, YM also became  the "hot-search queen" - everything she does attracts really high attention and large number of people discussing about it. This includes: co-star claiming his admiration for her on TV, her so-so quality movies that had high box office returns,  marriage and pregnancy, attitude controversy, her so-called affair with co-stars, divorce rumors, fan wars, etc. 

Most artists will usually find ways to cover the negativity floating around but, some claim, YM and her team did little to stop these topics from being discussed. The up-side of this is, she has achieved her goal and has really high marketing worth but the downside is, it attracts antis, people often associate her with bad acting / poor quality films and lastly, the breed of toxic fans. Toxic fans are often the self-righteous ones that think they are protecting their artists by attacking everyone that have negative comments about their beloved or 'weren't good enough' for her (this includes attacking her ex-husband on the tiniest matters i.e. not wishing YM happy birthday on WB on the dot). 

With the success of TMOPB, Jaywalk reached their target with flying colors (their net worth folded 200 times in 2 years) and increasing number of companies including Disney are willing to collaborate or work with Jaywalk to produce films. The latest notable collaboration is with Wanda (Chinese conglomerate) which include films like - YM's Thank You Doctor, RB's Love Advanced Customization (unofficial title according to Wikipedia) and Vengo's Xiang Yang Er Sheng (doctor-themed drama - no idea how to translate this, Chinese speakers please help :sweatingbullets:). Their collaboration with Wanda is not publicly announced yet so only a handful of netizens noticed. 

My opinion on this for Reba: 
Many fans often whines over how RB always work with the same group of people (aka the Jaywalk goodie bag) and the company is not doing enough for her. Even though I love her to bits, I think she is not really known for her acting today but more on marketing worth. So even if she moves to a new company, the same thing will happen unless she's willing to start from the bottom and take on smaller roles in 'better quality' films and roles with lower pay. But her rabid fans will start whining again on why she is not the lead and start creating havoc. Directors, in some ways are also artists that have their own ego. If an actress has high marketability but will cause headache for the project, they might prefer to not have them on board - especially when they are not known for their acting in the first place -_-. With Wanda's collaboration, I hope it means Jaywalk will have better variety of quality-films that allow Jaywalk artists (especially Reba) to polish their acting and be able to take on wider variety of roles. 

My opinion on this for Vengo: 
There are misconceptions that Vengo auditioned and won the role in Miss S and XYES solely on his own so many of his fans also begin to whine and ask that he move on to other companies (after his contract with Jaywalk expires) because he is able to 'stand on his own' now. While it is true that he manage to join auditions for Candle In The Tomb: The Wrath Of Time due to recommendations by his university lecturer (and also by accepting lower pay) and not via Jaywalk, his follow-up works, Miss S is production of Jaywalk's partner (Tencent) and XYES is part of Jaywalk's higher quality production thanks to Wanda.

Why is XYES consider high quality? Answer: Director Liu Jia Cheng. Personally I have no idea who he is but supposingly for most Chinese viewers, this director's works = quality. But of course, not everything is because of Jaywalk and no effort required from Vengo. I think the director is able to accept Vengo as the male lead due to his performance and recommendations from the director and crew of CITT:TWOT - which are known as top-tier among Beijing's group of directors (aka the established directors). If director Liu isn't happy with him, I'm sure he has the power to kick Vengo out just like the first script of the drama (script is completely rewritten because the director is not satisfied with it). So yes, I believe he is the first Jaywalk artist to be recognized and 'accepted' by established directors and who knows, maybe in the short future, he is really able to stand on his own and sign with a company that values quality (and money) more than anything else. 

TL;DR, the 3 women behind Jaywalk are not empty-headed bunch that only aims for $$$. I'm sure they know about Jaywalk's current reputation and, I hope, are working to improve this step by step.

Thanks for reading :blush:

Wow. Great insight on the situation. Totally shed different lights on jiaxing

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SC2019 said:

thank you ladies @Ninky @Yori Ten @nitepolaris @bertrande @SGahjumma i or we will be lost without you all 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, SC2019 said:

LEGOLAS!!! haha, I totally agree with @Wuzetian  I prefer him as Bai Zhen to the ELOD one.

Though I really can't imagine him with Reba. It would only work if they changed both the ML and FL. Frankly when I watched the movie for TMOPB, I couldn't accept the youngish look for YH. I think I would have the same issue, if they replaced someone young looking as DH. Though in the book, he DOES look young - so maybe if I have never seen Vengo, it might have worked. LOL.

I suppose that YML paired well with Ken Chang since he looked more mature with an older ZY. In ELOD, a younger HJJ with Baron is quite a good choice. I really wonder if they were to cast a younger DH, who can fit this role?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wuzetian said:

64cdacd93c101484.png

Does anyone notice the discrepancy in the book (right arm) vs drama (left arm)? Is his left hand sexier than the 

right? :huh:

maybe something to do with positioning that's why they make it left arm instead of right? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1