[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, daydreamer77 said:

The plots sounds interesting :D.  I wonder how they're going to dress her as a boy. Will they bandage her this time ?:D

They really should :D even as XJ as a guy, she looks so girlie :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

6 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

I agree, Vengo definitely owned the role. I liked him in TMOPB but in ELOD I really saw how his acting improved so much, he played DH with so much depth and skill whether it was comedic, sarcastic or loving. On the physical side, he's obviously a very tall, attractive man which is what the book/character calls for but he is also sexy and charismatic which not all "good looking" people have. So, Vengo fit Dijun 100%.

If they cast a flower boy type I know I would not have been drawn to the DH character and story.

So true! Vengo's acting was superb. Sometimes I cringe when I watch some actors in romantic or 'playboy' scenes. Something about it seemed very unnatural. But I never felt that while watching DH. It could also be the amazing chemistry between Reba and Vengo that made their scenes toothachingly sweet.

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

So true! Vengo's acting was superb. Sometimes I cringe when I watch some actors in romantic or 'playboy' scenes. Something about it seemed very unnatural. But I never felt that while watching DH. It could also be the amazing chemistry between Reba and Vengo that made their scenes toothachingly sweet.

Definitely true, it was his pairing with Reba that made the romance zing off the screen. ELOD was all about Dijun catching up to FJ's love for him, she was way ahead of him in terms of her affections (like 2000 years I think, LOL) so it was just so sweet to see him fall for her. But I really credit Vengo for using his eyes and micro-expressions to create such realistic feelings and turning Dijun's character into one with more dimension. Dijun realized that he liked to be taken care of by FJ. Many people have served him but no one had cared for him with sincerity like she did. Episodes 30-34 is filled with so many subtle glances and slight smiles that just ooze tension and longing. So good!

• Like 13
  • Love 5

I am glad Vengo received so much love and praise for his character portrayal of DH. Did you know that of all her main leads, DH is also author TQ's favorite? In an interview, she expressed that she love DH the most but she also have a tendency to fall in love with her male characters. Haha, and she said that maybe after finishing Bodhi Fate, her favorite might change to Mo Yuan instead. Oh girl, you're so fickle!!

I never did fall deep for Ye Hua in TMOPB nor Bai Zihua in Journey of Flower. DH piqued my interest in TMOPB but because he was such a cold and heartless lover, I never really felt anything more than anguish.

The DH in ELoD is so multi faceted and interesting that as a reader of PB, I was really invested in his character development. His narcissism and sharp tongue although can be quite annoying at times became his endearing point. His shameless of course, we can't get enough!

I saw a really good video explaining Vengo's acting and how he managed to bring DH to life. It's quite long and in Chinese so I'll just summarize. The video started off with viewers criticism on why Vengo is so wooden and expressionless in his acting. They didn't like that Vengo only shows one look, the bored look. Critics lamented that Vengo's DH is like a stone statue and the acting part is one dimensional.

The video explained that this character portrayal is on point and that if Vengo managed to make the viewers feel that DH is cold, distant and unrelatable, then he has successfully acted DH's persona. This is why in the earlier episodes, we were so excited to catch glimpses of him smiling or giving an interested look because those are so rare! If he were to show a range of emotions earlier on, then it wouldn't have the effects it did later on.

Viewers have to understand that DH was a magnificent god who united the world. His rise in ranks is all due to his intelligence and power. He fought many battles and have been through life and death situations for thousands of years. He was at the top of his game. No one is above him and he basically sits at the very top. Once he managed to bring peace and calm to the world, he retired. Heh..as a laidback and somewhat nonchalant deity. At the same time, he was also a very lonely powerful god. Nothing amuses him, nothing really tickles his fancy. In that case, if one has already achieved single mindedness and detached oneself from the emotions that bound the mind, why would he have any reactions to anything. Remember, he has seen it all, experienced it all and no longer can be bothered with the menial day to day happenings around him. His only joy in life, if you would call it that, is to read scriptures, go fishing, play chess and occasionally, helps with weapon's creation. He cooks only because he was bored out of his mind. He knew his culinary skill is nothing to be proud of but he finds delight is teasing others with his awful dish. So bored is he that he can sometimes turn childish.

But the heaven is surely a better playwright! Never would he have thought that a little nine tailed red fox will come his way and is so determined and persistant, that she herself could turn his world upside down! 

Viewers who criticised his acting are the one at fault because they failed to understand his character. The video also went on to explain into further detail on his development later on but we all know what a joyride it was. 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4476177874021995?sourceType=weixin&from=10A3295010&wm=4260_0001&featurecode=newtitle

If you understand Chinese, do watch. It's very funny so the 10 minutes clip will have you wanting more!!!

• Like 11
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 2

@LaxClyne @MayanEcho Hmm, the posts I've read only mention the Disney deal briefly so I did more research on this. Seems like the deal is announced at 2017 and will only last 2 years. So I guess it has expired without any films being made? What a let-down... 

And the Guang-sama nickname is given by the Korean fans and not Japanese. I guess Koreans just like the word 'sama' :lol:

@LovelyLady Totally agree. But then again, how many agencies now will place their artists' interest as the top priority? Sadly, $$$ will always come first -_- 

By the way, I've also come across some rumors regarding casting of DH and FJ during TMOPB. Unable to verify whether they're true or not so just take them with a pinch of salt :D

Spoiler

Huang Meng Ying - the actress that plays SuJin in TMOPB is originally cast as FJ but she wanted to challenge the evil role so she opted to play SuJin instead. Not really sure who is the original SuJin but the director then chose Reba as FJ :heart:

Zhang Zhi Yao - the actor that plays ZheYan in TMOPB, is originally cast as DH but he has schedule conflicts so he opted to play ZheYan because of the shorter filming period. On the other hand, Vengo is supposed to be ZheYan but the director sees the potential in him as the icy Dijun so she switched their roles. Thank heavens for this because imagine a 1.91m ZheYan :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 12
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

@Yori Ten i am with you, I like ye hua too but DJ is such an altogether different creature :D .  I have liked their story in TMOPB but fell in love with when I was reading the novel.  At that time, I saying to myself that it would be a waste if they will not continue with the novel (with the same actors).

I think everything was in place for ELOD with one major ingredient - their chemistry....

I am happy Vengo is being praised for his portrayal and was given the chance to play the role knowing he was not so well known.  I am not a major critical person but yup he sold me as DJ otherwise I might not enjoy ELOD to the point that I am being quite choosy on what next series to watch :D

I hope one day Reba will also get the chance to showcase her acting skills to the max.  I can also say that if it was not Reba who played as FJ, i think it will have a different outcome too.

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

@Yori Ten thanks for the insight.

I think the same goes to viewers complaining how DH was too animated in the latter half of the drama. It's only natural that DH shows more emotions as he falls in love with FJ and realises he wants her in his life. If he continued to be expressiveless, I'd be thinking he didn't care.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching DH's transformation from being a emotionless, desireless and untouchable god to shameless, jealous and eager for FJ's attention DH. I can watch Vengo's microexpression all day!

• Like 10
  • Love 4

11 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

@Yori Ten thanks for the insight.

I think the same goes to viewers complaining how DH was too animated in the latter half of the drama. It's only natural that DH shows more emotions as he falls in love with FJ and realises he wants her in his life. If he continued to be expressiveless, I'd be thinking he didn't care.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching DH's transformation from being a emotionless, desireless and untouchable god to shameless, jealous and eager for FJ's attention DH. I can watch Vengo's microexpression all day!

Love is the Wisdom of the Fool and the Folly of the Wise. :heart:

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@Applemintz Disney might have been testing Jaywalk for possible 'Marvel Universe' collab, hence their project deal was live action. But fantasy live action is expensive, with Jaywalk worth I dont think they would dare co-produce it. I wonder if they tried negotiating with a non-fantasy live action? Maybe it didn't worked too and just let the deal expire. ^_^

:blink: -sama from Korean fans? Now I dont know what this mean :sweatingbullets::w00t:

• Like 4

I honestly thought they contrasted DH's emotions and attitude well in the last half. He was still ruthless with ML and all others not in his inner circle and honestly the last scene with him and CY was heartbreaking. He was so blunt and ruthless while taking away all hope from CY (low key thought DH was the biggest jerk, he did make it up by entwining their souls into the sapling).

Like Vengo said, DH's journey and character growth was learning to find his humanity. It seems like regression and childish to most because they don't have the novel background, wish they would have kept young DH's battle scenes and added to his backstory. It would have made the direction of his character growth make more sense. 

• Like 11
  • Insightful 3

@Yori Ten Thanks for the heads up on what was being said in the clip. :)

DH is the deity indeed who had seen everything and nothing will surprise him anymore. Until he had properly met his match, the only nine-tailed red fox in the universe.

DH displayed myriad of emotions in Ep41 during the execution rites of Junou. He was cold, almost bored. It was just another execution to witness.

Until FJ joined the fray. Until FJ and Shen Ye were almost bitten/injured by the white winged tiger. The wrath in DH's normally placid eyes and that flick of his arm for barely suppressed anger were sights to behold.

DH is not an icy faced deity anymore. Loving FJ had made him feel, nor could he hide anymore behind expressionless facades and demeanour.

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, vivi0303 said:

...he did make it up by entwining their souls into the sapling).

I was thinking about part. In the drama, the sapling was in Fanyin valley.  Did it get decimated as well? Which is really unfortunate.   I don't remember it being mentioned in the book after Dijun saved them.  I'll have to read that again. 

What I find interesting as well that Dijun says something along the lines of 'we'll see what will happen in a thousand(?) years. I take this as a sign to have a spinoff or a movie of Shen Ye and Aranya with a happy ending :D. Same hope as Vengo :D.  It could be another drama. A modern one like the 4th life and 4th world :D.  

Another wishful thinking :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, daydreamer77 said:

I was thinking about part. In the drama, the sapling was in Fanyin valley.  Did it get decimated as well? Which is really unfortunate.   I don't remember it being mentioned in the book after Dijun saved them.  I'll have to read that again. 

What I find interesting as well that Dijun says something along the lines of 'we'll see what will happen in a thousand(?) years. I take this as a sign to have a spinoff or a movie of Shen Ye and Aranya with a happy ending :D. Same hope as Vengo :D.  It could be another drama. A modern one like the 4th life and 4th world :D.  

Another wishful thinking :lol:

That all depends on our beloved author and if she'll green-light that spinoff:joy: And of course, Reba's Rabid Fanclub

• Like 2
  • LOL 5