[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/3/2019 at 12:42 PM, LaurenPanna said:

That was Guo Jing Huang Rong wishes, wish for future Han generations to snatch China back from Mongol, which is why the weapons are named that way. 

In LOCH and ROCH is it already Yuan dinasty ?? Not Jin dinasty?? :huh:

@chipz03 i like your story telling. I also imagine and i want WJ know, how suffer ZM was when she choose to betray her emperor. Coincidence your story just like what i imagine. How she suffer, her family effort to save her, and her connection to crown prince and her possibility to become crown princess. I also want WJ regret ( so that he will treat her well) when he trying to accept ZR to become his wife and act like (fake) lovey dovey, somewhere a person whom he really love, suffer a great deal for Him. And somehow your story compelling that side-untold-story.:wub:

23 minutes ago, polar15 said:

In LOCH and ROCH is it already Yuan dinasty ?? Not Jin dinasty?? :huh:

Still Jin dynasty but they knew/predicted  the mongol would win. From my understanding, they made the sword and saber for later generations to one day fight back against the mongol. 

1 hour ago, sophiesyc said:

Still Jin dynasty but they knew/predicted  the mongol would win. From my understanding, they made the sword and saber for later generations to one day fight back against the mongol. 

Song dynasty 

But there were this jin-song war between jins and han chinese 

Both  @sophiesyc and @LaurenPanna are correct just different series

@polar15

Before LOCH timeline in history there are accepted 3 competing dynasties for control of mainland China.

Western Xia dynasty, Jin dynasty and Southern Song dynasty.

Before LOCH, Jin dynasty was the strongest led by the Jurchen ppl, they managed to beat back and took the northern part of the Song dynasty, and later on during ROCH the story was set in Southern Song.

Southern Song as part of the armistice (I think?) with Jin accepted Jin's request to execute Yue Fei, their best and most loyal general and later on canonised as Chinese folk heroes because he was killed unjustly and despicably by his own people. Later on Yue Fei's tactic book called Wu Mu Yi Shu is in the hand of GJ and later on it will be hidden in the Dragon Sabre, which will start the HSDS storyline.

During LOCH, Jin dynasty was nearing the end since the Mongols managed to unite under Genghis Khan. Also they were hated by the Southern Song so they pretty much got flanked from both sides and got destroyed by the Mongols. Jin was a pretty nasty rulers, in history any Jurchen soldiers will really rape any Han women they meet, that's why that scene in the beginning is important about GJ's and YK's parents, to show how despicable Jurchen are compared to Mongols, also to show Wanyan Honglie's knightly and how different his conduct from his people towards YK's mother.

During ROCH, Southern Song is in last gasp, even though even then it will still take quite a few years before they will completely fall and Yuan dynasty was established.

If you never watched Demi-Gods Semi-Devils (DGSD)/ Tian Long Ba Bu (TLBB), you should try watching since it's loosely connected to Condor trilogy and its historical timeline could be counted as a prequel of Condor trilogy. And it has my fave JY character Qiao Feng, a true tragic hero story

Side note:

Interesting tidbit, every dynasty in China has an accepted family name for the emperor's family like Tang dynasty is Li (李)Han dynasty is Liu (刘) so like if you have the same surname as them it's kind of like you're from the same village or same family tree, no matter how distant you are.

Do you know Zhao Min's (赵敏) surname is the surname of the emperor's family of the Song dynasty? And also in the earlier version, the newspaper serialization of HSDS, Zhao Min original name is Zhao Ming (赵明) before JY changed it to Zhao Min. I don't know what intention JY has, but it's quite interesting to note and guess  :blush:

30 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Both  @sophiesyc and @LaurenPanna are correct just different series

@polar15

Before LOCH timeline in history there are accepted 3 competing dynasties for control of mainland China.

Western Xia dynasty, Jin dynasty and Southern Song dynasty.

Before LOCH, Jin dynasty was the strongest led by the Jurchen ppl, they managed to beat back and took the northern part of the Song dynasty, and later on during ROCH the story was set in Southern Song.

Southern Song as part of the armistice (I think?) with Jin accepted Jin's request to execute Yue Fei, their best and most loyal general and later on canonised as Chinese folk heroes because he was killed unjustly and despicably by his own people. Later on Yue Fei's tactic book called Wu Mu Yi Shu is in the hand of GJ and later on it will be hidden in the Dragon Sabre, which will start the HSDS storyline.

During LOCH, Jin dynasty was nearing the end since the Mongols managed to unite under Genghis Khan. Also they were hated by the Southern Song so they pretty much got flanked from both sides and got destroyed by the Mongols. Jin was a pretty nasty rulers, in history any Jurchen soldiers will really rape any Han women they meet, that's why that scene in the beginning is important about GJ's and YK's parents, to show how despicable Jurchen are compared to Mongols, also to show Wanyan Honglie's knightly and how different his conduct from his people towards YK's mother.

During ROCH, Southern Song is in last gasp, even though even then it will still take quite a few years before they will completely fall and Yuan dynasty was established.

If you never watched Demi-Gods Semi-Devils (DGSD)/ Tian Long Ba Bu (TLBB), you should try watching since it's loosely connected to Condor trilogy and its historical timeline could be counted as a prequel of Condor trilogy. And it has my fave JY character Qiao Feng, a true tragic hero story

Side note:

Interesting tidbit, every dynasty in China has an accepted family name for the emperor's family like Tang dynasty is Li (李)Han dynasty is Liu (刘) so like if you have the same surname as them it's kind of like you're from the same village or same family tree, no matter how distant you are.

Do you know Zhao Min's (赵敏) surname is the surname of the emperor's family of the Song dynasty? And also in the earlier version, the newspaper serialization of HSDS, Zhao Min original name is Zhao Ming (赵明) before JY changed it to Zhao Min. I don't know what intention JY has, but it's quite interesting to note and guess  :blush:

Great explanation!!! 

Very detailed.

Which is why i really love jin yong novels as they follow history v closely!!! 

Qiao feng and Ah Zhu relationship is my next favourite couple of JY universe. I always cried at Ah Zhu death no matter which version i was watching 

They are really a pair of tragic couple. I always feel super heartpain for qiao feng

I love this kind of BTS wish they have more :P

https://weibo.com/tv/v/HxnanBQxS?fid=1034:4379538763796487

Also TVB has a show called Dong Zhang Xi Wang <东张西望> which XZ got interviewed here. They will also have an interview with ZWJ-YX-ZZR all three together soon, even though I'm not sure where the interview will be conducted, HK or mainland (should be mainland, I guess). ZM will not be there, which is understandable I suppose since Yukee is still filming Yue Shang Zhong Huo <月上重火>  I believe

If any canto speaker want to see the video interview of XZ/Kabby Hui go to the link below, I got that from a Douban group.

https://d9.urlgot.com/files/1559661215885327892.mp4?n=

11 hours ago, kimmortal said:

This compilation of BTS scenes is really cute.

Adorable!  Although I was a little shocked to be reminded that there was a BTS where he pretends to kiss Bambi and she pretends to hit him.... it's a fun BTS just that because they're in costume, I had a moment of "Noooo!  ZWJ would NEVER, even in jest, kiss ZZR!" ;))) Ok, I get it, I'm a little too enthused about my OTP.

I stumbled upon an article detailing how we can edit/cut/splice some scenes or dialogue from certain episodes, and it wouldn’t change the overall plot of the show (in fact, some dialogue has zero impact on the story) but will greatly improve the characterizations of Xie Xun and Ming Cult members towards the latter 1/3 of the series. I found it an interesting read, especially the cuts to Xie Xun’s dialogues. He’s way too aggressive when he verbally attacks Zhao Min, which is not like his character in the novel at all. The writer of the article suggests cutting a few minutes here or there — which, let’s face it, Tencent and TVB is already doing — so that the strengths of the characters are retained and it leaves a better feeling for viewers.

When this comes out on dvd, I might just make those cuts myself after converting dvd to mkv. Then I could rewatch this show and it will be my special “fan’s cut edition” haha.

The article is in Chinese, but Google Chrome translates it into English just fine for me and I still understood quite a lot.

https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404370500129300239

@kimmortal That's my thoughts exactly. I didn't like Xie Xun's character in this version. A version I saw has a better portrayal of him. He knew what was going on on the island and he was kinder to MinMin but still keep his patriotism. Didn't he carve some hints in the cave or something? In this version, he seems to be just flat out mean to her - well, everyone of them was mean to her - that's why I don't really like the Ming Cult members. I'm very protective of my MinMin. 

4 hours ago, PutriSing said:

@kimmortal That's my thoughts exactly. I didn't like Xie Xun's character in this version. A version I saw has a better portrayal of him. He knew what was going on on the island and he was kinder to MinMin but still keep his patriotism. Didn't he carve some hints in the cave or something? In this version, he seems to be just flat out mean to her - well, everyone of them was mean to her - that's why I don't really like the Ming Cult members. I'm very protective of my MinMin. 

I agreed with you on why is XX is so mean to MinMin in this version compare to the other version. In other version, he knew what happen on the Island and draw it on the wall when he were at Shaolin. In this version, totally didn't show that he knew what ZZR did to MinMin. Still toward the end risk his life to save ZZR. Make non-sense here. Glad that WJ confirmed with ZZR.

Hi! I'm still here! I finally found english subs. I love this drama so far. I am very far behind. But I hope I catch up. I want to talk with all of you. I am curious about this Sword! Why is this sword so bad? Why do people die because of this sword! I want to find out!

2 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

Hi! I'm still here! I finally found english subs. I love this drama so far. I am very far behind. But I hope I catch up. I want to talk with all of you. I am curious about this Sword! Why is this sword so bad? Why do people die because of this sword! I want to find out!

Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

There are two main weapon, which one are you talking about? The wider one is Dragon Sabre and the thinner one is called Heaven Sword.

The one that ppl of wulin covet is Dragon Sabre since there's a saying "The powerful and honorable weapon:Dragon Saber; It can slay the Dragon. Use it to command the world. Who dares to disobey orders?" It kind of implied whoever hold Dragon Sabre can rule the world, that's why everybody in jianghu wanted to own it. But there's an additional verse "If the Heaven Sword does not appear, what weapon can fight against the saber effectively?" ,this one implies that only Heaven Sword can equally fight against the Dragon Sabre, however Heaven Sword has been lost for quite some time also (I took all the verse from Wikipedia).

Where did you get the English sub btw? This should all be explained in episode 1, especially the saying about the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword.

What episodes you're at?

The Sabre/Sword themselves are not bad, they're actually an amazing weapon that can break any weapon that came into contact with them, who doesn't want weapon that cannot break ;) However ppl are killing each other to gain control of it so in a sense once the rumour that Dragon Sabre's location is known all the ppl went into a frenzy to get it, which started the story.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, B_my_nightingale said:

Can anyone tell me where I can download the english translation for the 1st edition novel? I tried wuxiasociety but what they have is the ending with ZZR coming to haunt WJ-ZM, and I really really don't want to read that version ;;^^

Afaik, there are three edition for HSDS

1st edition is the Ming newspaper serialization from the 1960's

2nd edition is the novel version came out in 1979 where JY revised some things from the 1st edition

3rd edition is the last one came out at 2005 where JY revise some things from the 2nd edition

I don't think there's ever English translation for the 1st edition, afaik anyway.

Maybe somebody else know more?

Thanks @kur4p1k4, I ended up reading bits and pieces of WJ and ZM in the part 4 of wuxiasociety translation, and imagining JZ and CY's face the entire time (what can I say, to me they're the perfect portrayal of WJ-ZM). But it's true what some of you here said, that WJ in the novel is soo wishy-washy that I'll want to rip him to pieces. I mean how could he kiss one girl in one moment then easily kiss another the next moment? And he sounds like he's enjoying it.. I trully want to rip him to pieces when I read that scene, don't know how ZM can be really patient with him. I'm glad they didn't put that scene in 2019 HSDS. 

As far as that ending where ZR said about WJ owned her a promise, I hope that with ZM's witt she would be able to counter that one promise. I mean by then she surely could request dozen of promises from him, right? She is the chosen one after all.. If ZR said he could not marry ZM on their wedding day, she could just make him promise to marry him the next day. Thinking it that way eases my mind a bit.. I'm so deep in this hole I don't know what to do..

Archived