[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, Yitian_fan said:

@chipz03 I like the dark character and dramatic angst!  Zhou Dian scene... I imagined it was like Darth Vader remotely strangling the guy in the first scene he appears in Star Wars!  So cool! :) Thanks for sharing and definitely get on AOOO so you can keep it around.

@LaurenPanna

I like your short reflection of Chipz's story!  It's interesting how people 'sound' different in different languages!  BTW, I think  this type of inspiring and cross-referencing is fanfic community at it's best.  More!

@LaurenPanna

I agree!! The beauty of language! 

Thanks for sharing yours. @Yitian_fan

I think you are very creative and think out of the box. The stories you wrote really spark my imagination alot. And i really can't emphasise enough without your encouragement, i would never take the first step! 

11 hours ago, deminni said:

Gosh Lauren, you make me want to be able to read Chinese so badly!

@chipz03 I LOVE DARK WU JI! Please write more. It’s out of character, but so thrilling and a fresh perspective of how he would have dealt with the pain of ZM’s death because of everyone else’s betrayal. 

Thanks @deminni 

This Dark wuji really reminded me of those very dark characters who would do anything for their love one. Very very devoted. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

@chipz03

I wrote a short reflection as a tribute to your dark fan fic.

This is not a fan fic. Just my short write up on wuji reflection, a tribute to your fan fiction. Thanks for inspiring me. Thumbs up to you. But it's in chinese. 

Reveal hidden contents

然从噩梦中惊醒。

发现自己原来又在书房里睡着了。

武穆遗书就在我面前而桌上烛灯就快熄灭了。

我手中仍然紧紧握着你的发簪和锦帕。

我把眼泪擦干,闭上双眼,感觉你在我身边。

今晚这场噩梦很真实,很可怕。

梦见你死了,

遭万箭穿心的是你,不是你爹爹。

你挣开我,扑了出去,为你爹爹挡箭。

临死前,你说从没后悔爱上我。

他们不许我碰你。

我连最后一次拥抱都得不到。

我懊悔得很,我好想死。

为什么要多留你一晚?

为什么要找你爹爹义谈?

为什么要相信那班所谓的兄弟?

为什么死的不是我?

我举起掌心欲往自己头顶拍下去,一了百了。

突然梦醒了,这一掌终究还是没拍下去。

幸亏只是一场噩梦。

日有所思,夜有所梦。

你没死,我也还没死。

但到底这一场又一场的噩梦何时才能停止。

每晚午夜梦回都发现自己还在原地踏步。

这场战争好像永远打不完。没有你的日子我度日如年。

恨不得马上抛下一切,到蒙古找你。

但我还不能。

我不晓得我们还有没有团聚的一天。

我没信心能得到你的原谅。

但我绝对不会放弃你。

有期待有希望,就有撑下去的力量。

那股力量,是你给我的。

感谢老天爷眷顾,偶尔还赐我好梦,让我在梦里与你团聚。

梦见绿柳山庄情窦初开的你和对你一见钟情的我。

梦见坐在牛车上逗我开心的你。

梦见毫无血色的你,为我煮粥,为了让我放心赶路而假装痊愈的你。

梦见灵蛇岛上你的告白,愿意为我万死不悔的你。

梦见那场雨夜情爱缠绵的我们。

梦见为我蒙冤,为我擦干眼泪的你。

梦见你要我为你画眉,梦见我俩一同放灯船的幸福情景。

梦见我们的未来,与你一同游历行医,惩奸除恶,浪迹天涯。

梦见与你拜堂成亲,生儿育女,永生永世都不分离。

虽然每每醒来都是一场空,

但相信我,敏敏。

很快的。一切都会过去的。

无论天涯海角,我都会回到你身边。

等我。

O my gosh,  Lauren.  This is so beautiful :bawling:. Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute.  I am really honored :heart:

And thank you so much @Yitian_fan , @deminni and all for the encouragement. I found new joy in writing fanfics and in reading other fanfics as well. The combined beauty of language and human's boundless imagination are truly precious

Thank you again all!!  I am very very glad you enjoy the stories:love:

Fighting!!! 

• Like 1

For me,  I've watched 86, 2000, 2009, 2019 (finished) and tried to watch 94 and 2003 but these two versions didn't really stick to me.  Here's what I think (comparing among these versions only,  not with the novel though):

1. Best WJ would be 2019 ver.  Despite several hiccups,  I thought JZ portrayed tge best WJ.  This version also had the best characterization of WJ out of all the versions I watched (yep,  i even like this better than 86). He's decisive in his feeling toward the girls as the drama progressed instead of the wishy washy, I-don't-know-who-I-love-the-most type of character (as a woman,  i found this type of characters, man or woman, aggravating. No offense please). it's clear the woman he loves vs. the woman he cares as sister,  cousin,  and childhood friend (to whom he also had his guilt). This version also captured the cool Zhang Jiaozhu who can easily beat many opponents, but also showcase youthful charisma and perhaps some degree of young recklessness. I thought i read somewhere that some even prefer this version WJ than the novel.

2. Story: i would say 86 perhaps stick more to the book?  Please correct me if I an wrong though. Though if you prefer a happier ending for the four young characters (WJ,  zhao min,  song qing su, and Zhiruo),  you can try out the 2000 (TVB)  version.  Although i feel in most versions, the storyline mainly follow the books so they can be quite similar.  Hence,  2019 feel a bit more different with the different angle they focused on (emphasizing more in the Ming-Yuan battle and conflict instead of just WJ-ZM-ZR triangle). I dislike the ending of 2009 version the most.  I make me go whaaat?!! 

Other things like costume, lighting, setting: I like this version the most.

Peace all :blush:

• Like 3

I heard the 2009 also followed the book closely, even the conversation. I tried to watch it but gave up. I did watch the ending though, and totally disliked the ending since it ended in the same fashion as the book. 

I like the 2003 version but it didn’t really follow the book. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chipz03 said:

O my gosh,  Lauren.  This is so beautiful :bawling:. Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute.  I am really honored :heart:

And thank you so much @Yitian_fan , @deminni and all for the encouragement. I found new joy in writing fanfics and in reading other fanfics as well. The combined beauty of language and human's boundless imagination are truly precious

Thank you again all!!  I am very very glad you enjoy the stories:love:

Fighting!!! 

@chipz03

I posted the short reflection in lofter and credited the minmin's death part to you (i mentioned to them on you as the other English writer) . One reader ask for your link to read your fanfic, If you don't mind me sharing your aoow link once you have it. 

• Like 1

I've finished 1986, Jet Li's movie version, 2019. The other version mostly I just watch clips for differences, book version I just asked my dad or brother for their view, since they already read all the updated version.

1. For the story plot: I would say most will follow the book especially the GMD-Green Willow manor-Wudang-Wan An temple-1st hot pot scene ZM/WJ arc. Usually they just change the a bit of the front before GMD and a lot after Wan An temple incident, depends on how the director wanna go with the plot, whether they wanna change/add story/characters arc. I would say 1986 and 2009 probably follow the book the most.

2. For WJ: I would say 1986 and 2009 I think are quite close to the book but I feel that 1986's WJ is more sympathetic and innocent can't really hate Tony Leung personally, hahaha. 2019's WJ is my current favorite (it might change again since I haven't watch Tony Leung's version again for a while), but I think he's way off from the book's WJ, at least on the romance angle. 2019's WJ already knows since early on that he only loves ZM, while the other girls he only cares as sisters. While the book's WJ don't know who he really loves to the bone until the very end and even then during the journey of the books he was equally enamored and loved all the 4 girls he met. Any other traits I think 2019's WJ nailed it close to the book

3. For ZM: 2019 is my favorite usurping 1986. She might not be that close to the book though on some part, since some criticism or hilarious tidbit, depend on who you asked, that got lobbed at this ZM is that she has the biggest temper from all the ZM that ever existed :sweatingbullets:. Apparently ZM in the book does not have a temper (???).

4. For YX: This is the best hands down, no more explanation needed :lol:

5. Fighting scene: Definitely the movie is the best, if you have time go watch it, very enjoyable seeing Jet Li just fighting. And also probably the most convincing ZM in a male disguise before the 2009 version comes out.   

Cheers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

3. For ZM: 2019 is my favorite usurping 1986. She might not be that close to the book though on some part, since some criticism or hilarious tidbit, depend on who you asked, that got lobbed at this ZM is that she has the biggest temper from all the ZM that ever existed :sweatingbullets:. Apparently ZM in the book does not have a temper (???).

I love Yukee's Zhao Min, but even I must admit that she has a temper. She's more emotional in all ways, not just anger. Book-ZM is incredibly calm, cool, and collected. She's so intelligent but keeps a lot of her predictions/deductions in her head. She doesn't say until there's enough evidence to draw a conclusion. I completely understand the criticism but also, I'm not bothered by it. I think it modernizes Zhao Min's character for younger generations. It makes her less super, more relatable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I have not finished it yet but what are peoples thoughts who have read the book and other versions which version follows the books more and which version is generally better portraying wuji etc.. 

1986 is a much more tolerable Wuji and the plot is close enough to the book so that this version is easily watchable over and over again. That's why it's a classic and loved by fans. 5/5 stars.

Like others have said, for a happy ending for EVERYBODY, watch TVB's 2000 version. It's cute. But main lead is far too old to play Wuji. 3/5 stars.

I don't have much to say about 2003's. 2.5/5 stars.

In my opinion, 2009 follows the book in terms of characterizations, but that isn't a good point. It's a criticism. 2009's Wuji is annoying and wishy-washy and unclear -- even by the end -- who he really loves (even if he says who) and that ending didn't help. The ending is exactly like the book, which most people hated. Most of the plot is close to the book as well. 3/5 stars.

This 2019 is still a must-watch because Wuji is one that we've never seen before. This is the first time that it's obvious who he's in love with and the obstacle that keeps them apart is not any love triangle (or pentagon?) but more the discord between Han and Mongolian. The political side of the book is more fleshed out and I think it's executed well. The national loyalties/pride of both Wuji and Zhao Min is focused on more. 4.5/5 stars.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kimmortal said:

1986 is a much more tolerable Wuji and the plot is close enough to the book so that this version is easily watchable over and over again. That's why it's a classic and loved by fans. 5/5 stars.

Like others have said, for a happy ending for EVERYBODY, watch TVB's 2000 version. It's cute. But main lead is far too old to play Wuji. 3/5 stars.

I don't have much to say about 2003's. 2.5/5 stars.

In my opinion, 2009 follows the book in terms of characterizations, but that isn't a good point. It's a criticism. 2009's Wuji is annoying and wishy-washy and unclear -- even by the end -- who he really loves (even if he says who) and that ending didn't help. The ending is exactly like the book, which most people hated. Most of the plot is close to the book as well. 3/5 stars.

This 2019 is still a must-watch because Wuji is one that we've never seen before. This is the first time that it's obvious who he's in love with and the obstacle that keeps them apart is not any love triangle (or pentagon?) but more the discord between Han and Mongolian. The political side of the book is more fleshed out and I think it's executed well. The national loyalties/pride of both Wuji and Zhao Min is focused on more. 4.5/5 stars.

Maybe ill try to watch the 1986 version but it might be hard to watch due to bad quality i guess. 

I love this Wuji i have not watched the others but i really like how pure he is even though its to much at times. 

@Yitian_fan So beautiful! Just finished reading "Shame" and your latest update on Hao Jiejie. You put into words what I always believed was going on inside Wuji's mind. I only wish he voiced them once in a while. lol Whenever Zhao Min upsets him, he acts like a petulant child, saying these things just to anger her. He's so heroic, calm and composed (and fake) around everybody else, but only with Zhao Min does he have childish arguments, haha. I feel like he could be completely himself with her. But she aggravates him, so he says things he doesn't mean--or rather, he says the exact opposite of what he means: "I don't care whether you live or die" translates into "I'm just really mad right now but obviously I would never knowingly let anyone hurt you".

*sigh* I need to move on. But I already feel like rewatching this show again! I've already seen it twice. -_-

• Like 3

On 5/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, jackieusa said:

Edited:  Anyone still repeating HSDS 19 here?  Poor me,  I still re-watching some of my favorite scenes, truly unable to move on at all. :sweatingbullets:

Me. 

The psychopathic me. Who keep rewatching kiss scene.

Looks like i can never get out of this hole. 

Not watching anymore new drama. Just text me here if you know of any new drama that starred the both of them 

• Like 5

So far the best hsds to me is 1986 and 2019. Chemistry of the leads really good. And of course my favorite tony leung, kitty lai, Joseph zeng, yukee chen. 

2003 zhao min is not bad actually, i quite like the actress. 2003 xiao zhao is also good. Yinli was good too. But Su you Peng potrayal of wuji was alittle emotionless. 

2000 is also the next best that i love in terms of wuji and zhaomin 

1994 - totally can't stand and not sure why i manage to finish the drama in the past. Probably because i am too free, have nothing to do at that time, no social media, no friends. 

2009 - i have no feelings for the cast. Ady An is a nice actress but the whole drama have that kind of very dark color tone which i dislike. And deng chao potrayal of wuji has no chemistry with any of the girls 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, LaurenPanna said:

So far the best hsds to me is 1986 and 2019. Chemistry of the leads really good. And of course my favorite tony leung, kitty lai, Joseph zeng, yukee chen. 

2003 zhao min is not bad actually, i quite like the actress. 2003 xiao zhao is also good. Yinli was good too. But Su you Peng potrayal of wuji was alittle emotionless. 

Same here - I like the 86 and 19 ones the best. There are some scenes in 86 that I wish they've included in 2019. I like them playing around on the ship - "let me bite your hands too" and "when you marry your prince consort, I'm going to interrupt the wedding too". Those are cute scenes. The 2019 version has a deeper political connections which I appreciate for more understanding of our couple's turmoil.  I also like YX and FY's portrayal in the 2019 version. And of course, our Min-Min rocks! 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, cancergirl87 said:

Loving this FMV :wub:

Wow, thank you for sharing. That is truly a fantastic MV. The ending of it actually left me really sad. Partly because that's what I wanted to see happen in the series (so well edited in the FMV) and also because I am literally writing about WJ/ZM dealing with the aftermath of Ru Yang Wong's death years later. RYW giving his approval at the end was so meaningful, but Ming Sect had to go screw it up all. Sigh. Thank you again for sharing!

On 5/31/2019 at 4:58 PM, LaurenPanna said:

@chipz03

I posted the short reflection in lofter and credited the minmin's death part to you (i mentioned to them on you as the other English writer) . One reader ask for your link to read your fanfic, If you don't mind me sharing your aoow link once you have it. 

Hi lauren, 

no problem,  I'll share the link once I got the account up, hopefully in a couple of days. Thank you so much!!!! :mrgreen: 

And I couldn't help laughing at the TVB version of Wj giving the fruit to ZR.  :sweatingbullets: :lol:I am so mean but.. cannot help myself :sweat_smile:so sorry for the fans:sweatingbullets:

Peace all

P. S. 

Comparing ZM across the version,  i love this character in most of the versions I watched. She's so cool,  smart,  and brave. She knows what she wants and she will fight for it. She knows who she loves and she'll fight for his love fair and square. She is not afraid to own her mistakes or even her subordinates' instead of framing others. Fierce lady,  there. 

If I have to pick,  this ZM is my favorite. She might not be as strong and collected as the novel or other version but it makes her more relatable for me.  She cries,  she fell down but she didn't give up. And picking herself up after being beaten down showcase her strengths. Okay,  I am still in deeeep with this HSDS.

Add me to the list of one who still repeated episodes,  clips,  MVs,  GIFs, fanfics till now,  and still no sign of slowing down :sweat_smile:

• Like 6
  • Love 2