Jump to content

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记


Recommended Posts

Wow,  that's quite a lot of starred words there. If you want to watch ambiguous ending, I would think 2009 would be closer to your taste. 

 

You said it yourself that it's unrealistic for ZR to just suddenly changed like that. I feel that If no seed to cultivate, no result can appear. I personally felt it's easier to act according to the high moral and etiquette when you are not faced with many things that didn't go as you wished.  But sometimes it's harder to repress one's true self or what one is capable of doing when faced with adversities.  I've said this before,  from my personal POV  what ZR had for WJ was not love but obsession. She's obsessed to have his love and the glory for Emei, and her obsessions that eventually pushed her to do all those crazy things in Snake Island. 

 

Feel free to disagree but that's my stance. 

 

You can like the actress and/or the characters, it's your prerogative. I think both actresses are pretty.  I like YC type of beauty more,  but that's my opinion. (while I think GYY who acted as ZR is prettier than ZM in 2003 version,  but ZM remain my favorite. Again, That's my opinion though). 

 

But let me ask you this:

Would you rather WJ enter a marriage built on lies?  Only realizing when it's already too late and no way out?  No matter how "hot" the person is,  you are ready to enter a lifetime commitment like this? 

 

Lies that deal with attempted murder of a cousin (zhiruo really should thank her lucky star that her plan to kill Yinli didn't get through) , attempt to hurt a godfather, all for the sakes of a sword and a sabre to "bring glory to the sect" that she belongs to? ZZR had the choice to commit those crimes or to refuse, especially after MJST died (like Ji xiaofu refused in front of MJ at the expense of her own life, but ZR opted to commit those crimes).

 

Not only that,  this fiancee had also slashed WJ cousin's face,  went on crazy rampage against the villagers who didn't even do anything to harm her, trying to kill Xie Xun (WJ godfather that he loved and respected) during the lion slaying event even after she obtained the secrets from the two weapons, and cowardly dump all the evil deeds she did on Snake island on another woman who didn't do any of the crimes. While continuing to play that victim card,  even threatened to hurt herself when she felt that she might lose him and he try to leave the relationship. She couldn't even find a peace of mind when she's with him.  She kept on fearing about ZM in his heart (guess conscience is hard to be lied to) . Would WJ be willing to enter this kind of marriage?  Would you be willing to enter this kind of marriage? 

 

At least that  person you called "evil b***h" is brave enough to own things she did,  instead of hiding behind lies upon lies to get what she wanted. She took him away from his wedding for her own goal,   but it was also for him. I believe in the novel it was mentioned that he felt relieved to escape the wedding. Unfortunately ZR was not willing to understand his predicament even when he begged for her understanding. The "kind and gentle" ZR for sure could understand, don't you think?  

 

 ZM was also ready to own up the deeds done by her subordinate years before she was born (at least on the 2019 tv series) . What ZM did at Wan An temple was wrong in the eyes of the 6 good sect and Ming sect, and she's not an angel but in the eyes of her side,  what she did was for the greater good of her dynasty. I am not condoning her crimes, but she did what she could for her side. She did bad deeds too,  but she was brave enough to own up her "crimes."

 

My response is harsh so peace all!!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence.  He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he

About to get sentimental on you guys. I think I've finally realized why I'm borderline obsessed with this version of ZM/ZWJ, as opposed to just being a passerby viewer in the previous versions. This v

@kur4p1k4 thank you kurapika for the information. ZM and ZWJ are indeed the best couple beating all the odds. I think they are representing most of us people so we can feel the love.   

6 hours ago, PutriSing said:

Guys, I was rewatching some episodes last night. I'm curious. In episode 38, when WJ and Min-Min reunited after the Snake Island fiasco and had their fight, WJ followed Min Min even when she told him not to. Where exactly were they going? Did I miss a scene? Was he intending to follow her to wherever? 

 

No, you did not miss a scene, it was exactly like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Horse said:

I actually wanted to see them make the ambiguous ending where ZWJ can’t choose between ZM or ZZR. I’ve seen far too many tv series of the Condor trilogies where the hero goes off with his one love into the sunset. Guo Jing only loved HR and YG was too much of a love sick puppy, he wanted to commit suicide cos he thought Little Dragon girl was dead. Come on, be brave, make it more interesting and portray a flawed hero for once! I also have always felt a bit sorry for ZZR. It’s a bit unrealistic of JY to make her suddenly become this evil b**ch even though she was kind and gentle all the years growing up before. I suppose one can only guess she turned like that firstly, cos she was bound by a huge sense of responsibility to make Emei pei great and obeying her master’s wish, which prompted her to feel like she must get her hands on the sword and sabre at all cost. And secondly, ZWJ ran off with ZM on her wedding day and that would be enough to p**s any bride off! Yeah, she did some pretty bad stuff which she does ask for forgiveness at the end. But don’t forget that ZM was a cunning evil b**ch at the beginning, her men crippling ZWJ’s uncles. Lastly, I also admit that I personally think that Zhu Xudan is hotter than Yukee Chen so it makes me root for her character more but that’s my opinion. 

I think u will like the 2009 version. ZZR came at the end to interrupt ZM and ZWJ. However I think most people dislike the 2009 ending. It's probably the worst version according to many people. This applies to any genre and film, no audience wants to see a half hearted man in love with 2 woman. The general audience wants to see dedication and complexity to a relationship, not just a love triangle for the sake of a love triangle. And rooting for a character b/c they're "hotter" is kinda shallow in my opinion, no offense lol. That means anyone will do for you simply because they're hotter, regardless of the actions of the character. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PutriSing said:

Guys, I was rewatching some episodes last night. I'm curious. In episode 38, when WJ and Min-Min reunited after the Snake Island fiasco and had their fight, WJ followed Min Min even when she told him not to. Where exactly were they going? Did I miss a scene? Was he intending to follow her to wherever? 

 

They were going to look for his godfather and ZZR.

 

I was rewatching an episode last night and I thought it was pretty funny when Wuji returned to the hidden cave, he walked past both ZZR and ZM without acknowledging them.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vicious219 said:

I was rewatching an episode last night and I thought it was pretty funny when Wuji returned to the hidden cave, he walked past both ZZR and ZM without acknowledging them.

 

 

 

Yeah, but once he was done greeting his Godfather, he immediately went to help Zhao Min walk to the rock to sit down. (My inner WJ-ZM shipper sees what she likes, haha).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Horse said:

I actually wanted to see them make the ambiguous ending where ZWJ can’t choose between ZM or ZZR. I’ve seen far too many tv series of the Condor trilogies where the hero goes off with his one love into the sunset. Guo Jing only loved HR and YG was too much of a love sick puppy, he wanted to commit suicide cos he thought Little Dragon girl was dead. Come on, be brave, make it more interesting and portray a flawed hero for once! I also have always felt a bit sorry for ZZR. It’s a bit unrealistic of JY to make her suddenly become this evil b**ch even though she was kind and gentle all the years growing up before. I suppose one can only guess she turned like that firstly, cos she was bound by a huge sense of responsibility to make Emei pei great and obeying her master’s wish, which prompted her to feel like she must get her hands on the sword and sabre at all cost. And secondly, ZWJ ran off with ZM on her wedding day and that would be enough to p**s any bride off! Yeah, she did some pretty bad stuff which she does ask for forgiveness at the end. But don’t forget that ZM was a cunning evil b**ch at the beginning, her men crippling ZWJ’s uncles. Lastly, I also admit that I personally think that Zhu Xudan is hotter than Yukee Chen so it makes me root for her character more but that’s my opinion. 

 

As others have said, the 2009 adaptation would be right up your alley.

 

In my opinion, both women did some terrible crimes but the HOW and the WHEN really matters in this case. Zhao Min did terrible crimes before meeting Zhang Wuji. I won't mention the crippling of 3rd uncle because she wasn't born yet. The crippling of 6th uncle and the capture of the 6 Major sects was in session long before she met Zhang Wuji face to face. She had planned it while the fights were going on at Guang Ming Peak and then executed it as soon as the people departed. I feel like right after meeting Zhang Wuji, she fell in love with him and then since then, all her planned actions were done half-heartedly. After messing around at Wudang, she left seeing as she couldn't defeat Zhang Wuji. Technically, two uncles wouldn't be poisoned if he didn't try to steal the antidote from her. She wanted him to ask her for it directly and her actions were to force him to do just that. Then everything at Wan An Temple was according to her previous plan, but at the final moment, she let those people go as respect to Zhang Wuji. Still, those crimes against 6 Major Sects are direct, straight-forward and she took responsibility for those actions. She made sure everyone knew she was the one who captured them. After talking with Wuji at the restaurant, she had not done anything bad again. Speaking to Zhang Wuji at the hotpot restaurant made her see that if she continued to behave cruelly she would never win his heart. That's the WHEN of her actions. Every bad thing she did happened before this moment.

Zhou Zhiruo was, indeed, a genuinely nice girl, but she could never stand up for herself and what she believed in to ever say "No" to her superior(s). That was the start of her downfall. She committed crimes after the death of her master, so we can say she let go of being "good" because she wanted revenge and she wanted to fulfill her master's last wishes. HOW did she commit those crimes? She was in the dark while all her friends were in the light. She didn't own up to her actions and she pretended to be the innocent victim after pushing the blame onto someone else (someone she wanted revenge on). She lied repeatedly to Wuji and manipulated his emotions to force him to commit to her and marry her. Then her fiance was stolen from her on her wedding day. Fine. She's angry. But those evil acts continued; they didn't stop. What's her excuse? Wuji had many terrible things done to him but he doesn't turn evil. People are a product of their choices, not their circumstance. Zhao Min CHOSE to become a better person so she could be good enough for the man she fell in love with. Zhou Zhiruo CHOSE to become bad and continued to use her master's wishes and being scorned as excuses for her actions. Only at the end when Xie Xun died for her did she finally understand that she shouldn't become like him -- he kept using revenge as an excuse to commit evil deeds and she was doing the same. At the end, Zhiruo finally chose to become good again. But sometimes, it's too little too late. Wuji never loved her, first of all (it was obvious that he only ever loved Zhao Min), and even if he didn't choose Zhao Min, he wouldn't have chosen Zhiruo because she did too many things too late into the "story". In terms of narrative, that's just the way it works. The guy's heart has already moved on when she finally decided to "do the right thing" in the end. You don't win the guy with redemption this late into any story. You're just the character that people can feel sorry for and then they forgive you. But the person who "wins" the guy is the person who stood by him since the beginning, who changed her ways upon meeting him, who was misunderstood by almost everybody else in the story, who stood strong despite strong opposition, whose real obstacle was not some nonexistent love triangle but actually their opposing identities and what they stood for. This is what makes good storytelling and I am happy to see it explored in this drama.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 6:18 PM, LaurenPanna said:

 

Cool i love it!!! 

I actually cried reading about her plight that you wrote. She has been through such a hard life

 

Coincidentally, in my grassland reunion in lofter, i also created a man named *le ba chi* who accompanied junzhu back to mongol and had been protecting her throughout the three years wait. She was pregnant with twins though. :p

 

But i like your A san who protected his owner. So loyal, with integrity.

 

if you guys don't mind reading chinese, and reading my plain storyline.

I shall shamelessly share my A03 link here. :P

https://archiveofourown.org/users/LaurenPanna/works

 

i can't write exciting stories like you guys, But am contended to do some reflection for the series through this short stories. Now i am at Chapter 15.

 

We have similar thoughts haha. *high five!!* Actually, I remembered you mentioned that you also wrote fanfic that ZM-WJ returned to Wudang? (I also saw other fanfics that have this idea. High five to you all as well :D). When I was planning for my fanfic that explore WJ-MM life after their reunion in the grassland, I have also planned to incorporate their return to Wudang. 

 

Wudang heroes have always been my bias in all of the HSDS versions, and I am not really satisfied at how 2019 version did not really show any closure between ZM and WJ's Wudang families. I love the bond between WJ-Wudang heroes, and this version did very good job in exploring this, but for me, it lacks the development of bonds between ZM and the heroes. It's a pity, since I always felt WJ really respect and love his Wudang's family and vice versa. So, I could only turn to fanfic to satisfy my craving for ZM-Wudang family interactions haha.

 

Uurgh..I wish I could read longer Chinese writings. I really regrets my youthful folly of always trying to skip my mandarin lessons <_<, and now I have to struggle and highly dependent on Google translate (which, most of time, distorted the true meaning of the sentences).

 

Keep writings for  all who enjoy them, as we did it for our fun and enjoyment too. 

 

Fighting all!! :blush:

 

P.S. I just posted the next chapter of my dark Wuji story. Not that good but hope you can enjoy :mrgreen:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kimmortal said:

 

As others have said, the 2009 adaptation would be right up your alley.

 

In my opinion, both women did some terrible crimes but the HOW and the WHEN really matters in this case. Zhao Min did terrible crimes before meeting Zhang Wuji. I won't mention the crippling of 3rd uncle because she wasn't born yet. The crippling of 6th uncle and the capture of the 6 Major sects was in session long before she met Zhang Wuji face to face. She had planned it while the fights were going on at Guang Ming Peak and then executed it as soon as the people departed. I feel like right after meeting Zhang Wuji, she fell in love with him and then since then, all her planned actions were done half-heartedly. After messing around at Wudang, she left seeing as she couldn't defeat Zhang Wuji. Technically, two uncles wouldn't be poisoned if he didn't try to steal the antidote from her. She wanted him to ask her for it directly and her actions were to force him to do just that. Then everything at Wan An Temple was according to her previous plan, but at the final moment, she let those people go as respect to Zhang Wuji. Still, those crimes against 6 Major Sects are direct, straight-forward and she took responsibility for those actions. She made sure everyone knew she was the one who captured them. After talking with Wuji at the restaurant, she had not done anything bad again. Speaking to Zhang Wuji at the hotpot restaurant made her see that if she continued to behave cruelly she would never win his heart. That's the WHEN of her actions. Every bad thing she did happened before this moment.

Zhou Zhiruo was, indeed, a genuinely nice girl, but she could never stand up for herself and what she believed in to ever say "No" to her superior(s). That was the start of her downfall. She committed crimes after the death of her master, so we can say she let go of being "good" because she wanted revenge and she wanted to fulfill her master's last wishes. HOW did she commit those crimes? She was in the dark while all her friends were in the light. She didn't own up to her actions and she pretended to be the innocent victim after pushing the blame onto someone else (someone she wanted revenge on). She lied repeatedly to Wuji and manipulated his emotions to force him to commit to her and marry her. Then her fiance was stolen from her on her wedding day. Fine. She's angry. But those evil acts continued; they didn't stop. What's her excuse? Wuji had many terrible things done to him but he doesn't turn evil. People are a product of their choices, not their circumstance. Zhao Min CHOSE to become a better person so she could be good enough for the man she fell in love with. Zhou Zhiruo CHOSE to become bad and continued to use her master's wishes and being scorned as excuses for her actions. Only at the end when Xie Xun died for her did she finally understand that she shouldn't become like him -- he kept using revenge as an excuse to commit evil deeds and she was doing the same. At the end, Zhiruo finally chose to become good again. But sometimes, it's too little too late. Wuji never loved her, first of all (it was obvious that he only ever loved Zhao Min), and even if he didn't choose Zhao Min, he wouldn't have chosen Zhiruo because she did too many things too late into the "story". In terms of narrative, that's just the way it works. The guy's heart has already moved on when she finally decided to "do the right thing" in the end. You don't win the guy with redemption this late into any story. You're just the character that people can feel sorry for and then they forgive you. But the person who "wins" the guy is the person who stood by him since the beginning, who changed her ways upon meeting him, who was misunderstood by almost everybody else in the story, who stood strong despite strong opposition, whose real obstacle was not some nonexistent love triangle but actually their opposing identities and what they stood for. This is what makes good storytelling and I am happy to see it explored in this drama.

 Very well said. :thumbsup:.

 

The love and bond that is strong enough to withstand all the obstacles, like those endured by ZM-WJ is the one that should be treasured and protected. As much as possible, both sides should be willing to sacrifice some and gain some (meet midway type of thing),  should be able to be themselves (including being angry to each other, bicker with each other, voicing their disagreement, their wants and their hesitations), and should be able to be honest with each other.

 

Looks/physical attractiveness are temporary, but true bonds last.

 

peace all 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, Yitian_fan said:

@Angee86, Deminni, LaurenPanna and I all have fanfics that are regularly updated linked to their AOOO (Archive Of Our Own) accounts (you can find it on their and my signatures). Chipz03 is just about to get an AOOO account and her/his stuff is also temporarily held just in posts to this site.  Graceeandedward has part of one that s/he posted here awhilst back.  

 

And if you can read chinese then you're really in luck, because there is literally hundreds of fanfics at Lofter that are ZM/ZWJ with a half dozen or dozen added every single day.  Plus if you happen to be into ZWJ/Yangxiao and Yangxiao/Xiaofu, you're in even more luck because I'll bet there's easily a thousand of those. (Lauren is the only person I know who writes both in English AND Chinese, plus s/he is a studen of Wushu, so extra amazing to read her stuff!)

 

Have fun! :)

 

 

 

 

 

Yitian Fan

 

thank you so much for your kind words, and never-ending encouragement for me. :) love you.

I am contemplating on translating my Chinese fanfic into English one day. Hope i get the time.

I learnt alot from reading other authors work, and really this is my first time writing, i am amazed by my patience.

Coincidentally, today, i wrote a chapter all on Fighting scenes. So difficult !

Chapter 19, if you have time to read hahahahaha

 

2 hours ago, chipz03 said:

We have similar thoughts haha. *high five!!* Actually, I remembered you mentioned that you also wrote fanfic that ZM-WJ returned to Wudang? (I also saw other fanfics that have this idea. High five to you all as well :D). When I was planning for my fanfic that explore WJ-MM life after their reunion in the grassland, I have also planned to incorporate their return to Wudang. 

 

Wudang heroes have always been my bias in all of the HSDS versions, and I am not really satisfied at how 2019 version did not really show any closure between ZM and WJ's Wudang families. I love the bond between WJ-Wudang heroes, and this version did very good job in exploring this, but for me, it lacks the development of bonds between ZM and the heroes. It's a pity, since I always felt WJ really respect and love his Wudang's family and vice versa. So, I could only turn to fanfic to satisfy my craving for ZM-Wudang family interactions haha.

 

Uurgh..I wish I could read longer Chinese writings. I really regrets my youthful folly of always trying to skip my mandarin lessons <_<, and now I have to struggle and highly dependent on Google translate (which, most of time, distorted the true meaning of the sentences).

 

Keep writings for  all who enjoy them, as we did it for our fun and enjoyment too. 

 

Fighting all!! :blush:

 

P.S. I just posted the next chapter of my dark Wuji story. Not that good but hope you can enjoy :mrgreen:

 

Thanks for sharing your Site, I will share it with other lofter users who are really keen in reading your dark Wuji fanfic.

 

If you like to read chinese, currently in my fanfic, WJ and MM are in wudang, starting from chapter 12.

And ZZR is there as well hahahahhaha

 

i am struggling but trying hard to make the best out of the two girls.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like ZM's entrance expression in early eps look at that smugness lol

O6Uea0K.gif

 

OqFaoiO.gif

Also best exit, I really love her command just with a close of her fan

And her face is like "You think you can stop ME?" so good! :love:

uGCeDb3.gif

 

I just realised why I always feels like Yukee's ZM feels like a cat everytime she hugged WJ, Yukee really is tiny lol. How tall is this girl? Look at this pic, feels like she could get lost in the sea of blacks if she doesn't wear white :lol:

P8uSd52.png

 

Ll67OzV.gif

WPfWN7w.gif

Even though this last one feels more like WJ wants to put her on his pocket and keep her with him forever:P

P32Iinp.gif

 

Also how did WJ going to return the flower lol? He said he's going to borrow it, how do you return a flower you already used this idiot :lol:

Es6G6zp.png

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@kur4p1k4 That last hug scene always gets me. "Do you know how much I've missed you" - then he hugs her tighter. AWWWWWWWWW. That broke my heart. The Ming Sect people in this version is really mean to her - I thought in the 2003 version, they were nicer. 

 

BTW, I think I want to start putting in gifs. How do you guys insert them? Anyone has links? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Also how did WJ going to return the flower lol? He said he's going to borrow it, how do you return a flower you already used this idiot :lol:

Es6G6zp.png

 

Remember in middle school when your friends would "borrow" your pencil and you'd never see it again?  Same thing.  Serious answer though, in the novel the antidote is only the corm(the bulb thing on the bottom).  He was going to return her flowers in the form of a bouquet.  So sweet.

  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@PutriSing All the gifs I posted are my own, since I have the video files and then I just use some online gif maker (like ezgif) then I hosted it on imgur, then I posted it here. I don't know how other ppl do it, but that's how I did it. I think there are a lot on weibo for HSDS but I'm too lazy to link it to them and find them since I don't have a weibo acct.

 

@LaurenPanna I don't see any new scene, I think. It's just the flashback is faster, I think TVB actually cut a few seconds of the flashback scene.

 

@vicious219 Aawww what a nice boy WJ is, still that's cheating. When you borrow a pen you don't just return the cap, come one WJ! :joy:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PutriSing said:

 

BTW, I think I want to start putting in gifs. How do you guys insert them? Anyone has links? 

I make gifs using https://imgur.com/

 

Instruction:  upper left corner click on New post, then click on Video to GIF, and then paste a video URL from sites i.e. youtube.

 

Or directly click on this link. https://imgur.com/vidgif

 

Hope this help and not confusing you.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, polar15 said:

If you watched for 1st time, maybe it is difficult to understand. But most of us are JY trilogy fans ( i guess) so even though this version have many cut scenes or jump scenes, we overall still understand. I suggest you to watched 2nd time, so you can understand better :)

Yes. Even though the title is HSDS, its not about saber n sword, but Imho everything start with those weapons and it become sentral plot and/or connecting to that weapons. 

 

If you read books version, you probably will hate how it ended too. I read 1st and 3rd version and to be honest, i even hate ZWJ in all book version:sweatingbullets: 

I trust you. I believe I will watch it a 2nd time! I enjoyed it! And I don’t want to hate ZJW! No!!! :D 

  • LOL 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@2handsintertwined @polar15

I like how Jin Yong novels will have some object that everybody wants, but that the main character will just stumble upon even though he doesn’t necessarily crave it. It finds him precisely because he doesn’t care for it and he doesn’t seek it out. And even though these objects are mentioned often, Jin Yong’s stories always include world building and the readers/audience only learn about the world and its inhabitants through the main character’s point of view (POV). So yes—HSDS is not primarily about the sword and sabre, but more about heroism, brotherhood, family, relationships, nationalism, martial arts, and all kinds of Chinese values/lessons. All of this is why the Condor Trilogy is such a fun read and easy to watch—it’s classic storytelling. And in his shared universe, the stories sometimes spans a few decades to a hundred years.

 

C.S. Lewis does a similar thing when he writes the frozen age of the witch, then the golden age of Narnia ruled by the four kings and queens, followed by some hundred years or so of persecution/war before Prince Caspian restores Narnia to its previous glory, and then everything after.

 

Jin Yong writes the Song Dynasty with Qiao Feng, then when Jins conquered most of northern Song, then 2 decades later with great victory for Song at Xiangyang, then Yuan Dynasty, then Qing Dynasty. I’m probably missing quite a lot of storytelling in between somewhere but you get the gist.

 

To have a deeper understanding of Jin Yong’s shared universe requires watching (or reading) at least 4 of his stories. Sometimes it takes a couple rewatches. When I was little, I didn’t understand most of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils because I’d seen a really old Taiwanese version or something. Later on, I watched TVB’s 1996 version and it all finally clicked and made sense and connected together. My suggestion is to find a version that really speaks to you and helps you understand, then piece all of it together to form a cohesive world. You don’t necessarily need to combine dramas made in the same decade. You can mix and match the different versions, as long as you have one favourite version of each of the following:

 

In Chronological order:

1) The Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils

2) The Legend of the Condor Heroes

3) The Return of the Condor Heroes

4) The Heavenly Sword and Dragon (Slaying) Sabre

 

That should be enough to understand all the characters, plots, and nuances. For further exploration, watch more Jin Yong. Sorry, I won’t list them because I don’t know them by heart. I remember The Duke of Mount Deer is one.

 

OK, I’ve said too much already. I hope you will continue to enjoy Jin Yong tv adaptations. I’m a huge fan! As you can tell.

  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I trust you. I believe I will watch it a 2nd time! I enjoyed it! And I don’t want to hate ZJW! No!!! :D 

I'm curious which parts that you don't understand when you watched it?

 

I never read the book personally, only watch the older 1986 version that's it but I still understand the show. I also watched Legend of Condor Heroes 1983&1994 and Return of Condor Heroes1983, but I still understand perfectly the show storytelling, then because I'm interested to know more I read the book. 

So I disagree with @kimmortal to say that to understand HSDS you have to read all 4 JY books, since HSDS is far enough timeline that all things related to LOCH and ROCH are more like easter eggs. If an audience cannot understand a TV show adaptation without reading the book first that just mean the director/editor did a bad job in adapting. 

If you want a deeper understanding and interested in more wuxia story I would say JY is a classic but to watch a TV show you have to read 4 books that just means the TV show suck in explaining to the audience what it story is.

 

Only LOCH and ROCH that is close enough, to watch ROCH is better to watch LOCH first since some characters action in ROCH are affected by what happens in LOCH

But DGSD and HSDS storywise is totally unneeded to know LOCH and ROCH at all imho

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..