[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

I stumbled upon an article detailing how we can edit/cut/splice some scenes or dialogue from certain episodes, and it wouldn’t change the overall plot of the show (in fact, some dialogue has zero impact on the story) but will greatly improve the characterizations of Xie Xun and Ming Cult members towards the latter 1/3 of the series. I found it an interesting read, especially the cuts to Xie Xun’s dialogues. He’s way too aggressive when he verbally attacks Zhao Min, which is not like his character in the novel at all. The writer of the article suggests cutting a few minutes here or there — which, let’s face it, Tencent and TVB is already doing — so that the strengths of the characters are retained and it leaves a better feeling for viewers.

When this comes out on dvd, I might just make those cuts myself after converting dvd to mkv. Then I could rewatch this show and it will be my special “fan’s cut edition” haha.

The article is in Chinese, but Google Chrome translates it into English just fine for me and I still understood quite a lot.

https://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309404370500129300239

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm completely gobsmacked by the criticisms of young Joseph's performance. So far he's nailed the role in all its essence.  He's probably the most age-appropriate ZWJ that I've seen. And I love how he

About to get sentimental on you guys. I think I've finally realized why I'm borderline obsessed with this version of ZM/ZWJ, as opposed to just being a passerby viewer in the previous versions. This v

@kur4p1k4 thank you kurapika for the information. ZM and ZWJ are indeed the best couple beating all the odds. I think they are representing most of us people so we can feel the love.   

@kimmortal That's my thoughts exactly. I didn't like Xie Xun's character in this version. A version I saw has a better portrayal of him. He knew what was going on on the island and he was kinder to MinMin but still keep his patriotism. Didn't he carve some hints in the cave or something? In this version, he seems to be just flat out mean to her - well, everyone of them was mean to her - that's why I don't really like the Ming Cult members. I'm very protective of my MinMin. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, PutriSing said:

@kimmortal That's my thoughts exactly. I didn't like Xie Xun's character in this version. A version I saw has a better portrayal of him. He knew what was going on on the island and he was kinder to MinMin but still keep his patriotism. Didn't he carve some hints in the cave or something? In this version, he seems to be just flat out mean to her - well, everyone of them was mean to her - that's why I don't really like the Ming Cult members. I'm very protective of my MinMin. 

I agreed with you on why is XX is so mean to MinMin in this version compare to the other version. In other version, he knew what happen on the Island and draw it on the wall when he were at Shaolin. In this version, totally didn't show that he knew what ZZR did to MinMin. Still toward the end risk his life to save ZZR. Make non-sense here. Glad that WJ confirmed with ZZR.

• Like 1

Hi! I'm still here! I finally found english subs. I love this drama so far. I am very far behind. But I hope I catch up. I want to talk with all of you. I am curious about this Sword! Why is this sword so bad? Why do people die because of this sword! I want to find out!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

Hi! I'm still here! I finally found english subs. I love this drama so far. I am very far behind. But I hope I catch up. I want to talk with all of you. I am curious about this Sword! Why is this sword so bad? Why do people die because of this sword! I want to find out!

Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

There are two main weapon, which one are you talking about? The wider one is Dragon Sabre and the thinner one is called Heaven Sword.

The one that ppl of wulin covet is Dragon Sabre since there's a saying "The powerful and honorable weapon:Dragon Saber; It can slay the Dragon. Use it to command the world. Who dares to disobey orders?" It kind of implied whoever hold Dragon Sabre can rule the world, that's why everybody in jianghu wanted to own it. But there's an additional verse "If the Heaven Sword does not appear, what weapon can fight against the saber effectively?" ,this one implies that only Heaven Sword can equally fight against the Dragon Sabre, however Heaven Sword has been lost for quite some time also (I took all the verse from Wikipedia).

Where did you get the English sub btw? This should all be explained in episode 1, especially the saying about the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword.

What episodes you're at?

The Sabre/Sword themselves are not bad, they're actually an amazing weapon that can break any weapon that came into contact with them, who doesn't want weapon that cannot break ;) However ppl are killing each other to gain control of it so in a sense once the rumour that Dragon Sabre's location is known all the ppl went into a frenzy to get it, which started the story.

Cheers!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, B_my_nightingale said:

Can anyone tell me where I can download the english translation for the 1st edition novel? I tried wuxiasociety but what they have is the ending with ZZR coming to haunt WJ-ZM, and I really really don't want to read that version ;;^^

Afaik, there are three edition for HSDS

1st edition is the Ming newspaper serialization from the 1960's

2nd edition is the novel version came out in 1979 where JY revised some things from the 1st edition

3rd edition is the last one came out at 2005 where JY revise some things from the 2nd edition

I don't think there's ever English translation for the 1st edition, afaik anyway.

Maybe somebody else know more?

Thanks @kur4p1k4, I ended up reading bits and pieces of WJ and ZM in the part 4 of wuxiasociety translation, and imagining JZ and CY's face the entire time (what can I say, to me they're the perfect portrayal of WJ-ZM). But it's true what some of you here said, that WJ in the novel is soo wishy-washy that I'll want to rip him to pieces. I mean how could he kiss one girl in one moment then easily kiss another the next moment? And he sounds like he's enjoying it.. I trully want to rip him to pieces when I read that scene, don't know how ZM can be really patient with him. I'm glad they didn't put that scene in 2019 HSDS. 

As far as that ending where ZR said about WJ owned her a promise, I hope that with ZM's witt she would be able to counter that one promise. I mean by then she surely could request dozen of promises from him, right? She is the chosen one after all.. If ZR said he could not marry ZM on their wedding day, she could just make him promise to marry him the next day. Thinking it that way eases my mind a bit.. I'm so deep in this hole I don't know what to do..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For fellow Vietnamese fans, in my head, this is how the series really ends ;).

Spoiler

After reuniting with Zhao Min and giving her the box and hairpin, they say goodbye. Cut as soon as Wuji says, "I'll come find you". Then cut to Wudang where Wuji speaks with Zhang Sanfeng. Just ignore the line where he says he's worried Zhao Min is still angry with him, haha. Then continue until the end. :lol:

I know I sacrificed the almost-wedding, Yin Li's ending, and even that beautiful scene at night when Wuji and Zhao Min are cuddling together discussing politics. But that's extremely difficult to keep, unless you cut just before Wuji mentions his stupid idea about wanting to see her father. But even cutting there, you don't get to see Minmin depart, without seeing that coffin being pulled behind her. *sigh* Thus, this is what I settled with:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

There are two main weapon, which one are you talking about? The wider one is Dragon Sabre and the thinner one is called Heaven Sword.

The one that ppl of wulin covet is Dragon Sabre since there's a saying "The powerful and honorable weapon:Dragon Saber; It can slay the Dragon. Use it to command the world. Who dares to disobey orders?" It kind of implied whoever hold Dragon Sabre can rule the world, that's why everybody in jianghu wanted to own it. But there's an additional verse "If the Heaven Sword does not appear, what weapon can fight against the saber effectively?" ,this one implies that only Heaven Sword can equally fight against the Dragon Sabre, however Heaven Sword has been lost for quite some time also (I took all the verse from Wikipedia).

Where did you get the English sub btw? This should all be explained in episode 1, especially the saying about the Dragon Sabre and Heaven Sword.

What episodes you're at?

The Sabre/Sword themselves are not bad, they're actually an amazing weapon that can break any weapon that came into contact with them, who doesn't want weapon that cannot break ;) However ppl are killing each other to gain control of it so in a sense once the rumour that Dragon Sabre's location is known all the ppl went into a frenzy to get it, which started the story.

Cheers!

I was talking about the Dragon Sword.(I meant the Dragon Sabre) Thank you for explaining everything :)

Edit: I missed all that information in Episode 1. I'm at Episode 7. I would tell you where I got them. But I don't think we're allowed to discuss subs here in this forum 

Edit: Dragon Sabre

Edit: I don't think I have the right subs. It doesn't tell me everything. And I can't see them very well. I will have to look somewhere else.

Edited by 2handsintertwined
36 minutes ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I was talking about the Dragon Sword.(I meant the Dragon Sabre) Thank you for explaining everything :)

Edit: I missed all that information in Episode 1. I'm at Episode 7. I would tell you where I got them. But I don't think we're allowed to discuss subs here in this forum 

Edit: Dragon Sabre

Edit: I don't think I have the right subs. It doesn't tell me everything. And I can't see them very well. I will have to look somewhere else.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuyfcUjDE--TshpquRKPFbLXr0mTBazWy

The secret of the two weapons is kept a mystery on purpose.  What kur4p1k4 said is correct though.  Basically, people fight over the two weapons because of a rumor/mantra but they don't really know their secret.  And if you're new to the story, that's pretty much all you get to know about the weapons until much later in the story.  Unfortunately, the director/writers assumed the viewers had already seen a version of HSDS before so they didn't really go into depth on the weapons' background in this adaptation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, vicious219 said:

Here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuyfcUjDE--TshpquRKPFbLXr0mTBazWy

The secret of the two weapons is kept a mystery on purpose.  What kur4p1k4 said is correct though.  Basically, people fight over the two weapons because of a rumor/mantra but they don't really know their secret.  And if you're new to the story, that's pretty much all you get to know about the weapons until much later in the story.  Unfortunately, the director/writers assumed the viewers had already seen a version of HSDS before so they didn't really go into depth on the weapons' background in this adaptation.

Thank you for explaining and thank you for your help. I am sad that they didn't go into depth on the weapons' background.

M back ro rewatch my fav eps of WJ & MM and those eps are 38, 43, 44, 45, 49, and 50.

Ming sects betrayal still hit hard on me. If i was WJ, i definitely would have gone with MM right away. But WJ is too nice and too righteous to leave. In my opinion, MM can accept WJ back because deep down she didnt blame WJ for her father's death but she definitely angry at WJ for keep on defending his ming sects and his reason to protect people more than her. I think She was only afraid that WJ will surely become blinded and pushed around by the cunning people around him to accept the throne and forgets about her. So when years later WJ came to find her in Mongol, she was just so surprised but relieved that WJ does have the same feeling as her and keep his words. That's the main reason as to why she can accept WJ back so fast, besides time also heal all wounds of course. 

Anyway, are there any updates on WJ - MM fanfic? I really misses our OTP so bad. :P

• Like 4

So, I have finished this drama. I don't think it's an easy drama to understand. I still have a lot of questions.

My Thoughts:

Zhang Wujin did his best to be the hero of this drama. His parents committed suicide. He had a disease. He couldn't trust anyone. A lot of friends and lovers died. I really liked him. And I'm glad that I met him through this drama. He made this drama so much fun for my. And I think the actor is very handsome. All the other characters were nice. I think they really helped the story. I think I said this. I still don't understand the story. I really appreciated the fight scenes. I loved a lot of them! I know the Ming clan was the bad clan. But I didn't hate the leader  of the Ming clan. I didn't hate the Ming clan. I just wanted all the clans to join together. I don't like the way the drama ended. I think it makes us ask so many questions. I think it feels like the story is not finished. I was confused about the Persia thing. I would definitely watch this drama again. I will look for dramas that are like this.

I want to add something. I think this drama was about more than the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre.

• Like 1

@Angee86, Deminni, LaurenPanna and I all have fanfics that are regularly updated linked to their AOOO (Archive Of Our Own) accounts (you can find it on their and my signatures). Chipz03 is just about to get an AOOO account and her/his stuff is also temporarily held just in posts to this site.  Graceeandedward has part of one that s/he posted here awhilst back.  

And if you can read chinese then you're really in luck, because there is literally hundreds of fanfics at Lofter that are ZM/ZWJ with a half dozen or dozen added every single day.  Plus if you happen to be into ZWJ/Yangxiao and Yangxiao/Xiaofu, you're in even more luck because I'll bet there's easily a thousand of those. (Lauren is the only person I know who writes both in English AND Chinese, plus s/he is a studen of Wushu, so extra amazing to read her stuff!)

Have fun! :)

Hiya all!!

I am back after several days off. Well, back to real life now :P

Welcome to new members and new fans of the series. Glad you enjoy the drama:love:

Finally got my AO3 account up and running, and just finished transferring my fics to the account. Looking forward to explore more of this fanfiction communities (thank you all who had introduced me to AO3)!!

https://archiveofourown.org/users/ChooChooChooZ03/pseuds/ChooChooChooZ03

(link to my profile)

Currently editing my 3rd part of the dark Wuji fanfic, will post them as soon as possible (by tomorrow, I hope :D)

Will comment more later on, and back to be more active in the forum. 

Peace all:mrgreen:

• Like 6
12 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

So, I have finished this drama. I don't think it's an easy drama to understand. I still have a lot of questions.

My Thoughts:

Zhang Wujin did his best to be the hero of this drama. His parents committed suicide. He had a disease. He couldn't trust anyone. A lot of friends and lovers died. I really liked him. And I'm glad that I met him through this drama. He made this drama so much fun for my. And I think the actor is very handsome. All the other characters were nice. I think they really helped the story. I think I said this. I still don't understand the story. I really appreciated the fight scenes. I loved a lot of them! I know the Ming clan was the bad clan. But I didn't hate the leader  of the Ming clan. I didn't hate the Ming clan. I just wanted all the clans to join together. I don't like the way the drama ended. I think it makes us ask so many questions. I think it feels like the story is not finished. I was confused about the Persia thing. I would definitely watch this drama again. I will look for dramas that are like this.

I want to add something. I think this drama was about more than the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre.

If you watched for 1st time, maybe it is difficult to understand. But most of us are JY trilogy fans ( i guess) so even though this version have many cut scenes or jump scenes, we overall still understand. I suggest you to watched 2nd time, so you can understand better :)

Yes. Even though the title is HSDS, its not about saber n sword, but Imho everything start with those weapons and it become sentral plot and/or connecting to that weapons. 

If you read books version, you probably will hate how it ended too. I read 1st and 3rd version and to be honest, i even hate ZWJ in all book version:sweatingbullets: 

• Like 1

Guys, I was rewatching some episodes last night. I'm curious. In episode 38, when WJ and Min-Min reunited after the Snake Island fiasco and had their fight, WJ followed Min Min even when she told him not to. Where exactly were they going? Did I miss a scene? Was he intending to follow her to wherever? 

6 hours ago, Yitian_fan said:

@Angee86, Deminni, LaurenPanna and I all have fanfics that are regularly updated linked to their AOOO (Archive Of Our Own) accounts (you can find it on their and my signatures). Chipz03 is just about to get an AOOO account and her/his stuff is also temporarily held just in posts to this site.  Graceeandedward has part of one that s/he posted here awhilst back.  

And if you can read chinese then you're really in luck, because there is literally hundreds of fanfics at Lofter that are ZM/ZWJ with a half dozen or dozen added every single day.  Plus if you happen to be into ZWJ/Yangxiao and Yangxiao/Xiaofu, you're in even more luck because I'll bet there's easily a thousand of those. (Lauren is the only person I know who writes both in English AND Chinese, plus s/he is a studen of Wushu, so extra amazing to read her stuff!)

Have fun! :)

Yup i have been following all your english works on AO3. Unfortunately i dont understand chinese at all, so i cant go to lofter even if i wanted to. Mostly on ao3 the fanfic for HSDS are also in chinese. Im seriously thinking of studying chinese so that i can read all the fanfics. Or im hoping more english hsds fanfics come to ao3. :P

Big thanks to all of you who have created such an interesting story for us fans to read and imagine of WJ/MM pairing. Especially for the english writers, hopefully you all continue making it and i will surely be your loyal reader. :wub:

I actually wanted to see them make the ambiguous ending where ZWJ can’t choose between ZM or ZZR. I’ve seen far too many tv series of the Condor trilogies where the hero goes off with his one love into the sunset. Guo Jing only loved HR and YG was too much of a love sick puppy, he wanted to commit suicide cos he thought Little Dragon girl was dead. Come on, be brave, make it more interesting and portray a flawed hero for once! I also have always felt a bit sorry for ZZR. It’s a bit unrealistic of JY to make her suddenly become this evil b**ch even though she was kind and gentle all the years growing up before. I suppose one can only guess she turned like that firstly, cos she was bound by a huge sense of responsibility to make Emei pei great and obeying her master’s wish, which prompted her to feel like she must get her hands on the sword and sabre at all cost. And secondly, ZWJ ran off with ZM on her wedding day and that would be enough to p**s any bride off! Yeah, she did some pretty bad stuff which she does ask for forgiveness at the end. But don’t forget that ZM was a cunning evil b**ch at the beginning, her men crippling ZWJ’s uncles. Lastly, I also admit that I personally think that Zhu Xudan is hotter than Yukee Chen so it makes me root for her character more but that’s my opinion.